The Great Ship Debate - CSI:Crime Scene Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Great Ship Debate

Waiting said:

and that's fine..not a problem..they've got so many fans that do!

Can I point out the other obvious opinion too--that their are so many other fans that don't see their chemistry!!!

Sorry to burst another bubble.. but the latest poll on GSR.[it can be found on the GSR thread] is that 88% were for this continuing this, and 12% were against it, so the word MANY.. might be more like a FEW!! so the writers are going [& this is from letters, e-mails phone calls etc].. "HMMM, so, lets run this relationship off in the ditch, and please this 12%, [& it seems like this 12% might be all on here] :eek: or shall we try and go with the majority 88%, and continue what we've got going now"! and the answer is ;)

Sorry to burst another bubble.. but the latest poll on GSR.[it can be found on the GSR thread] is that 88% were for this continuing this, and 12% were against it, so the word MANY.. might be more like a FEW!! so the writers are going [& this is from letters, e-mails phone calls etc].. "HMMM, so, lets run this relationship off in the ditch, and please this 12%, [& it seems like this 12% might be all on here] or shall we try and go with the majority 88%, and continue what we've got going now"! and the answer is

Are you serious....you said GSR thread? Gee I wonder why it stacked in favor of 88%. Ok first I know I didn't vote in this poll!!!! Site your source besides being on a GSR Thread or one that isn't pro GSR because I'm interested to see the results!!!! I don't buy only 12% for starters I'm sure the Grillows fan base makes up more than 12% alone. Then you have the other fans that don't care for GSR period.

^ i think she was talking about the poll in one of the latest issues of TV Guide, where everybody could vote online on their web site.

i think she was talking about the poll in one of the latest issues of TV Guide, where everybody could vote online on their web site.

Really...never saw this in the TV Guide, but then again I don't buy them. I just tried to find the poll online, and I can't find it anywhere. Even if its too late to vote...TV Guide on line shows all the old polls!

Oh and this is what I go by: Here is the site... GSR

Actually, that question is kind of moot by now. But the debate rages as to whether CSI misstepped by showing Grissom (William Petersen) and his underling, Sara (Jorja Fox), in an intimate moment in the final scene of last season.

The producers admit the staff always argue about personal story lines intruding on the forensic meat of the show. During a press conference for CSI on Sunday, the producers acknowledged there's a 50/50 split in the audience over whether they prefer more or less of this sort of thing. And I suspected exec producer Carol Mendelsohn was being a bit disingenuous(which means untruthful) when she described (according to her personal mail) what she called a 60/40 split in favor of the Grissom-Sara reveal.

Afterward, I cornered exec producer Naren Shankar to share my long-standing conviction that despite all of this, CSI was in no danger of turning into a soap opera, was it? "Please write that!" he begged. (OK, I have.)

He assures me, "You have to understand we're not changing the DNA of the show." Having crossed this Rubicon, however, Shankar says, "We realized that it opened up other possibilities for us as writers."

Case in point: somewhere around the fourth episode, Archie from the crime lab is going to try to set up Sara on a date with his roommate. "It's one of those awkward moments where she's gotta come up with 20 different reasons why she doesn't want to go out with this guy, who's got a great body and is super nice. Archie can't understand it, and Sara finally has to say, 'Leave me alone.' For the audience, that's a funny scene. For Jorja, it's fun as well. For Archie, it's just another strange moment in the workplace. It opens up possibilities, because the audience knows what's underneath it, but the other CSIs don't."

Shankar says the producers sat down with Petersen at the end of last season to discuss the implications of this twist. "From our perspective, when a guy like Grissom makes a move like this, to bring somebody into his life in a personal fashion, it says something pretty profound. Here's a guy who's been very guarded, kept people at a distance. When a person like that is letting someone into his life, what is he saying? What it's about is a guy who's reaching out."

"After six years, he's no longer a mentor teaching a bunch of raw recruits. The people that he started with are now almost teachers in their own right. So you get to a point in your life when you get a little bit older and you go, 'Is this all I am? Am I just the guy that solves the crossword puzzle?' And if the answer is no, the question is, 'Do you want to share that with somebody?' And with Sara, he's saying just that. Part of Grissom's journey this season is going to be to ask what else is he? Is there anything else out there for him? Is he only going to be that guy who is bailing out the ocean with a thimble? Because there's always going to be another murder."

As midlife crises go, Grissom's is a doozy. And I imagine we'll be arguing about its fallout all season long.

Adzix said:
^ i think she was talking about the poll in one of the latest issues of TV Guide, where everybody could vote online on their web site.

Thank you Adzix that's it.. also CM asked WP and JF if they wanted this to contuinue, and they both said "yes" [source CSI files] and he has alot of clout, and asking for 6 week's off to do a play right in the middle of the season, and they let him..my point.. if he didn't want this happening..it wouldn't be!

I'd like to kiss her before the show ends
William Petersen..Galaxie Magazine..2005!

Desertwind will you link your articles because I want to read them. Its not that I don't believe you...I want to read about it. Especially the poll bit as well. :D Thanks Oh and Grissom is leaving for another play?

That's another thing I forgot to mention. I can't help but think that WP is abusing his role as producer to give himself this meaty storyline. You don't see any of the other characters in long-term intraoffice relationships. Why? The actors aren't producers so they can't get away with whatever they want.

Just makes me dislike Grissom and GSR that much more.

And I'm not gonna argue about that. It's just an observation.

Until I am personally sitting in on a meeting of the producers and actors at CSI, I'll take anything I hear about WP choosing or not choosing to take storylines as rumor or hear-say at best, for better or for worse.

I think that it's clear he's behind GSR, but as far as pushing it to give himself a better role? Meh. From Day One everyone has said how much WP wanted this to be collaborative, and that it was the only way he worked.

I really don't see him running in and saying, "Screw Warrick's marriage - I want me some fictional sex!"

I can't help but think that WP is abusing his role as producer to give himself this meaty storyline. You don't see any of the other characters in long-term intraoffice relationships.
No instead they have had other big story lines. Catherine got raped, her dad got shot, daughter kidnapped. Greg got beaten up, and is being sued. Warrick and Nick are the only ones being left in the background, although Nick had a big story line in Grave Danger, so that only leaves Warrick without the meat. The GSR story line isn't even that big, it's just made to seem big by the amount of talk it gets.
If WP really wanted a big storyline don't you think he would have gone all out?....if he even has that power.

In addition there have been numerous polls on a variety of sites where GSR has not always landed on top (not even close to always).
Were they Grillows sites? :lol:

Here is an MSNBC opinion poll, no multi voting was allowed. I don't know when it was taken sorry, but it looks like before it was cannon.

MSNBCfanopinionpollnomultivotingall.jpg

That means 3773 people were all for it.
39 people think it's one sided on Sara's part.
73 people don't really care.
637 people think G belongs with someone else.
382 people thought TPTB were just teasing.

Quite a significant amount were for it don't you think? It wasn't on a fansite, so completely unbiased.

Stupid polls percentages don't add up to 100, so my calculations aren't accurate, there are 4905 people in my calculations. :( *grumbles*

I think polls shouldn't be part of the argument - too many people on either side have admitted that they multi-vote. Until we can literally knock on the door of everyone who watches CSI and ask them if they like GSR or not, it's kind of pointless to speculate what "the fanbase" thinks as a whole.

I don't need an army behind me to like a ship. I just need the ship to be real.

Yup yup, polls are very unrealiable. And it isn't just because GCR didn't "win" any, they did, I just find them unrelable.

I don't need an army behind me to like a ship. I just need the ship to be real.

I agree, but every shipper thinks thier ship is real right? At the end of the day, it's only opinion. We shouldn't argue or get ratty over it and this is coming from a PureJoyer, who hardly gets *anything* to do with her ship anymore. Not even hinting at friendship. Meh.

IMO I just think Grissom is more suited to Cath, and Sara is more suited to Nick. They compliment each other because they are so different. That's just me though, my opinion, i'm not stating fact! I've never seen the chemistry between S/G but that doesn't mean it's not there, theres plenty of GSR's so there must be something right? Theres always two ways of reading a scene. For example (can't remember the episode name) when Sara asks Grissom out for dinner ('let's just see what happens?' etc) and Grissom replies 'Sara, I don't know what to do about this.' I see it as he doesn't know what to do about Sara liking him, but GSRs will see it as them liking each other right? Theres so many ways to look at things.

Some GSR's say Sara was brought in for Grissom and they were always going to get together. Maybe she was but I just can't believe that to be honest. I don't nessisarily think G/S were always going to get it onnnn, part of a little known UK CSI documentary (it was round about the time of S3 I think) was talking about the relationship between Grissom/Cath, and Marg states 'as for Grissom and Catherine, who knows?' to me that says GSR wasn't always going to definatly happen. Don't shout at me peeps, it's opinion and at the end of the day, we ain't gonna agree so let's just be nice LOL.

No offence to anyone is meant! *huggles*

Yup yup, polls are very unrealiable. And it isn't just because GCR didn't "win" any, they did, I just find them unrelable.

Exactly. I mean, whoever "wins", unless the site has figured out how to avoid multi-voting, is simply the ship that got there first. lol. I've seen Catherine and Grissom win, I've seen Sara and Grissom win, I've seen Heather and Grissom win. It never seems to be a steady or precise science.

I agree, but every shipper thinks thier ship is real right? At the end of the day, it's only opinion. We shouldn't argue or get ratty over it and this is coming from a PureJoyer, who hardly gets *anything* to do with her ship anymore. Not even hinting at friendship. Meh.

Yeah - I didn't mean canon, I just meant "real". Though I do like canon. lol. I tend to pick ships that I can tell are going to be outed, but ultimately if I don't like them, I'm not going to ship them. Case in point being Buffy, where I shipped Willow and Oz, but I didn't care much about Buffy and Angel. Both were canon, I just preferred the former.

IMO I just think Grissom is more suited to Cath, and Sara is more suited to Nick. They compliment each other because they are so different. That's just me though, my opinion, i'm not stating fact!

And I get that, but I think, honestly, that they're so well-suited because they don't have romance getting in the way. Having said that, if it turned out that something happened between Catherine and Grissom, I wouldn't be surprised. They have great chemistry, they would possibly make a good couple, I think the issue is that they make such good friends that I don't know that they'd want to jeopardize that.

With Nick and Sara, I see a brother-and-sister kind of rivalry and playfulness. It's cute, it's fun, and I love the scenes where they put aside the competition and are just there for each other.

What I like about Catherine and Grissom, Sara and Nick, is just that these characters had a shoulder to lean on when they needed it, and it didn't have to be sexual.

I'm not saying it couldn't have been sexual, but that I liked where they took it instead.

Some GSR's say Sara was brought in for Grissom and they were always going to get together. Maybe she was but I just can't believe that to be honest.

Well, part of the reason it's said is because Jorja and Anthony Zuiker confirmed that the auditions for Sara and the casting call outline described her as a love interest for Grissom.

But they did that with Sofia as well, and dropped that idea halfway into Season 6. So... it wasn't necessarily set in stone from day one, but it was a part of the original characters and their descriptions.

Personally I think this is an awesome thread, but to me NO proof has been shown that people are for GSR by 88%. NOthing personal...but I think thats biased for GSR supporters regardless if it was on tvguide or not. Show me an article or website that dipicts these results that aren't websites that are pro GSR. Because we all know its more closer to 50/50 regarding for/against GSR. I just find it hysterical that when I make a comment I'm told to provide proof...yet when unrealistic statements that are pro GSR are made regarding GSR...no proof is granted...or just a quick source is notatated that isn't searchable. I just find this a bit ironic. :lol:

As far as WP...I don't think he really manipulates the show more in favor of him. Quite honestly I'm ready to see more regarding GSR? I know shocker, but I'm ready for this couple to be outed and see the reactions from the other CSIs, and the repercussion if there are any.

Personally I think this is an awesome thread, but to me NO proof has been shown that people are for GSR by 88%.

The poll was posted in TV Guide. 88% wanted GSR to continue, 12% were excited about Lady Heather instead.

It's as accurate as the 60% were for Catherine poll in the Grillows thread *shrug*

Like I said, polls mean nothing because they can all be cheated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back