The Football Thread #4 - It Is Not Soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Ajbuckly has officially left the living room as Japan score 2. goal. Does anyone know when "Tour de France" starts??:scream:

2. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

The Netherlands and Japan make it to the 1/8 finals. Congrats to them! :)

I'm so sorry. It's too sad for Denmark. :(
    Well. Tour de France usually starts on the first weekend of July and this year they are in Reims and Epernay. I was there in holidays last year - pretty nice countryside. :)

3. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

thnx..... just back from town... big screen, lots of people..very nice :)
    Glad to see Robben playing again...
    Guess we're ready for Slovakia ;)

:(... you know my thoughts about Denmark....

they start on july 3th in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.... :)

4. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Denmark has now occially left the tournament.;) (Not just me:p)

Thanks for the comments friends. Japan played a great game and might do well. So congrets to thoose who made it. Media is allready powding on the team and Morten Olsen and promoting UK/Germany sunday? as the next "big" game.

5. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Today's matches:

Brazil vs Portugal

Ivory Coast vs N.Korea

Spain vs Chile

Switzerland vs Honduras

Brazil and Portugal are certainly qualified for the next round.Tonight's big matches are from group H.I hope Spain and Chile make it through the next round.

6. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

I hope so too... otherwise this is a WC of big surprises (e.g. Italy, France) so I shouldn't wonder if Spain misses the 1/8 finals. :(

7. Vickyyy

Vickyyy Rookie

Well, Brazil vs Portugal was a snoozefest when you consider what a game it should have been!!

8. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

^ Well they only needed a tied match so there were no risks...I'm still glad Portugal made it! Looking forward to Sunday's match.

9. Vickyyy

Vickyyy Rookie

Even so, when you consider what great footballing teams they are and the matches they've had in the past it should have been brilliant. From two absolute quality sides you have to expect more than they delivered today, especially at the World Cup.

10. cathwillows

I agree! But Brazil's performance hasn't been too convincing in the last two matches and Portugal...well they won 7:0 but let's be honest, the North Koreans were no match. It seems as if the top teams aren't in best shape...well not all of them anyway, i.e. France and Italy. Everything's new in the 1/8 finals though so let's hope for the best.

11. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

So Spain made it..... I guess they will grow into the tournament.....

felt a bit sorry for Switzerland though.... it seems they just couldn't today... lots of chances....

I agree..... I hope the knock out system will increase the pleasentness of the matches... at least it will be more thrilling.....

12. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

I feel relieved and happy that Spain made it today. And I guess their match against Portugal will be exciting. ;)

Otherwise I feel sad for our neighbor Switzerland... :(

13. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

@ Cath. S.... I just saw on dutch television your coach Joachim Löw.. He said some very kind things about dutch football......I always thought he was a kind man... he just confirmed it ;)

how is the general opinion in Germany about their "mannschaft"? Convinced they will get far? or more sceptical?

14. cathwillows

I am not sure. Everyone, or let's say a lot of people, says that because Michael Ballack isn't on the team we won't get far. Others, including the new captain Philip Lahm, say it's the best and strongest team since way back. Personally, I think they play well together, as a TEAM, and not as 11 top stars who just want to be in the spotlight. Now that it seems as if Bastian Schweinsteiger may be injured, I'm not sure if "Jogi" can replace him with an equally strong player. I hope he won't have to. If they play as well as they did against Australia, I'd say we can beat England. But if they lose the order in their defense again...

15. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Uruguay 1-0 S.Korea just before half time.I hope Uruguay qualifies through the next round.