The Football Thread #4 - It Is Not Soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Sep 28, 2006.

1. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

England made it to the 1/8 finals, but the USA are leader of their group?! :eek: I never believed that was possible. Great job guys!!! This morning two guys were talking about the referee thing and that it might look as if he "cheated" should there have been an arguable decision. But he did a good job so that should be out of the way. What about Germany? I really hope they'll win tonight. Oh, the game begins. Good luck to my German boys!!! Schlaaaaand!

2. Vickyyy

Vickyyy Rookie

Ahhh I am SO pleased England are through but I do NOT want Germany on Sunday! :(

3. cathwillows

^^ Well looks like you'll have to live with it! :p We made it!!! Woohoo! Congrats guys! Not the best game, but it's the result that counts.

4. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

Due to a specific tennis match....didn't see tonight's matches quite well..

but congrats to Germany and Ghana :) ... though I feel a bit sorry for Australia :(

And of course well done England and USA :)

5. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I'm English so I'm obviously glad that England got through. They have been so disappointing throughout the group stages, so they'll need to be better in order to beat Germany. Looking forward to Sunday's match. :)

6. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Hi fellow fans

As of thursday morning we are still in the game, who knows about tomorrow:lol:.

But something made me think. If your team would go anyfurther, would you prefere the unlikely winner(team noone thought would make it) or the most likely team (as predicted this team would win)?

As all fans I enjoy a fantastic player or team. But would it get borring if the same team won everything within the sport?

7. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

If I go with the cliché....I would say this: "If you want to become world champion you have to beat everyone so it doesn't matter"

But.... there's also the aspect of unpredictable....and the "unlikely" winners have a lot of this quality ;) so... I hope Italy will be our opponent in the 1/8 final (you know what you get... plus a good memory of the match back in 2008 :cool:)
    You (read Denmark) can face the unpredictable Paraguay :)

8. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Okay, I only watched first half of Germany - Ghana because I was so damn tired. Oh what chance Ötzil had to score and what a sad shot!

So I was rather happy that Germany won, but now it's England vs. Germany :(
    Stupid game *kicks* I'd so hope that after many bad years England would do better, but I think bigger part of me supports Germany.

*le sigh*

9. Vickyyy

Vickyyy Rookie

I'm just praying for no penalties on Sunday! If we beat Germany we could face the Argies next! What a run for England, two old enemies! It'd be fantastic to go on and win it after beating our old rivals!

10. PalmTree

PalmTree Police Officer

switching channels again.. (between wimbledon (63-63:cool:) and football...)

If it stays like this right now... .there will be no italy at all :confused:
    Weird tournament

And England-Germany..... also looking forward for this game...

11. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

Unbelievable, Italy lost its match against Slovakia and can go home now. So both finalists from the last WC 2006 are not in the 1/8 finals :wtf:

Congrats to Paraguay and Slovakia :) I feel a bit sad for New Zealand though.

England - Germany will be very interesting. I rarely watch the matches with Germany but this time I should watch it. :shifty:

For today I hope Denmark will make it :)

12. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I'm Italian and I'm proud of it. But, trust me, I so was expecting it to happen as soon I watched the first match. Italy just sucked this year, to be honest. I can only say that it's such a shame that their trainer (Mr. Lippi) left home so many talented players. Despite what he used to say in the previous interviews both supporters and journalists were damn right!!!

I am surprised that France was eliminated, but, at the same time I'm glad it happened: France didn't deserve to be in ths championship and I think that, finally, sport won with its elimination. Though I wish things had gone differently....at least for Mr. Trapattoni (the trainer of the Northern Ireland football team)

Now I'm really curious to see how things will go for England and Germany. I will certainly support USA, Holland and Argentina as well :thumbsup:

13. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

I can't believe Italy is gone.:wtf:Congratulations to Slovakia!:thumbsup:

14. cathwillows

Slovakia played an amazing match! Congratulations, well done guys! You kicked 2006's champion out!

Now I hope Portugal makes it to the 1/8 finals. A draw against Brazil would be enough...we'll see.

15. Vickyyy

Vickyyy Rookie

Very pleased for Slovakia.

It's a shame about Italy but they're an old side with tired legs. I still love Fabio Cannavaro though <3