Stella #3 - She's No Ordinary Superwoman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a little history of the orgins of Melina's surname courtesy of my best friend from Thessaloniki, which is located in the Northern part of Greece. We all know that Melina says her family comes from Naoussa, which I think is in Northern Greece too, but...

Melina's first name and surname indicates that she(well, her family I guess) orginates from Pontos, Greece. Melina's name comes from the name Simela which is an adjective for Virgin Mary, , Simela Panagia is the name of patron saint of all greeks who come from Pontos. Also all Greeks who have the same roots as Melina have in their surname the ending -edes as in KanakarEDES. -edes or -idis (pronunced ee (as in sheep) is the male ending, eedou or -idou is for females. If Melina was living in Greece and not America like now her surname would be Kanakaridou and not Kanakaredes.

Pretty cool huh? I tried to find photos of Pontos but nope, nothing :(. Maybe I'll stop there next time I visit Greece...

yeah...like kanakaridis[-edes] is for the males only.. :)
I have no idea were Naoussa is so I can't help but I know where Thesalloniki is!...ah,nice city! :D

I have to wonder if there's something similar with my name...I'm not Greek but it is, Mel is short for Melinda, which is one letter off...don't know if it's similar though or not.

so your name is Melinda>?I think is one of the many greek names..Like some names are not only used in their greek ''forms'' but they got some changes :rolleyes: :)..what exactly do you mean something similar/.?
melina-melinda...oh,nice names! :D

From what my family and google tell me Naoussa is on the island of Paros which I think is part of the the Cyclades islands. Some associate it with Macedonia but I'm not 100% sure of that. Here's a map of it:

map.gif

Here's another one:

map2.png

I believe Pontos is in Northern Greece which explains why Melina is so dark & I'm not :lol:.

*eta* Mel your name, Melinda is derived from Greek & it means "honey" :). Melinda is another variation of the name Melina but they still both mean "honey".

oh right....meli is honey...means you are sweet... :D

now,even with the maps I suck at geography and I keep confusing my self with eptanisa -dodekanisa-kiklades... :rolleyes:

Pontos actually is not a part of Greece..Is [how do I translate this]a part of mikrasia[oh...]where a lot of greek people and orthodox where leaving...after a bloody period they had to be refuges and go back to Greece or anywhere they could..that was aproximately a 100 years back>if you try it with greek letters you'll get results< ;)

^ I thought that a bit when I was looking up "Pontos" on the internet & I couldn't find anything. I'm guessing no more then two generations of the Kanakaredes clan came from there. Like Melina herself said a lot of her family comes from Naoussa. Here is a map:

naoussamap.jpg

Wow, last summer I was in Loutraki which, according to the map, is not too far from Naoussa. Maybe I was driving through Naoussa to get to Loutraki without even realizing it. Damn...

Awh, poor J! I love the Greek myths. I have had Old-Greek for 2 years, and my Greek is pretty good now. I've been to Greece twice, to the islands of 'Zakhynthos' and 'Kos'. My favorite was probably Zakhynthos, because it was less touristic. :) I've never been to the North of Greece, but I'm hoping to. :) I have a friend actually, who was born in Thessaloniki. She lives here in Holland now.

Ah yes, Zakhynthos. My friend went there this past weekend and she said it was lovely. Another underrated island is Spetses.

OT: I'm glad Melina agrees with me on the whole Makedonia incident, saying that's still part of Hellas. Some Slavics(not all) tend to classify as Makedonia as the FYROM(I think) and that is wrong. They say that Makedonia isn't pasrt of Greece and that's not right. I'm sure Melina wouldn't be happy to hear that either :lol:.

LOL, we're getting nationalistic here. :) Just kiddin'. I wonder Melina ever did an Island Cruise, or something, in Greece. Probably in the north. :) I can totally picture her sitting on a boat, the curls in the wind, lovely Greek tan.. wow. Great view. :)

:lol: I have that Southern Europe temper in which I get passionate about everything. I should apologize ahead of time if I offend anyone with my comments.

Melina looks like the kind who would take a cruise or yacht and travel down the lesser known islands of Greece such as Spetses & maybe the ones down in Crete. She would probably do a day trip in the Cyclades but going to a place that doesn't attract a lot of tourists. She seems like a low key person who would travel the Greek islands for the sights and serene of it, not because it's so popular. Maybe I should ask her to recommend some areas to visit next time I'm in my family's homeland :lol:.

LOL, yeah. Melina looks like a person who doesn't care about what they think about her. She just has a 'silent attidude', which means that she doesn't act like she has one, but when it comes to some situations, she has one. :) She's just what she wants to be, and I admire her for being that. :) Hmm, I think I'll plan my holiday in Greece, next year. Can't we all just go to Greece together? Melina being there.. having Greek food.. wow, sounds amazing.

That is too true!

Hmm, I which Greek artists & bands Melina prefers. I can see her listening to Petros Imvrios considering he sings everything from techno to folk to pop and everything in between. She probably likes Sakis Rouvas stuff and maybe some of Helena Paparizou's tunes. I don't think she enjoys Greek rap by bands such as Goin' Through :lol:.

ooooooh,J_ you know everything...! :lol:

I can quarantte some thinks,when you are going to Greece you will get few pounds and if you go insummer you will get a tan or burns up to your shoulders...be careful!>.. :rolleyes: :D

:lol: I'm probably completly wrong though.

I remember Melina said she gained or lost weight in Greece after dining on Greek meals like souvlaki which is the best when coated in olive oil. Melina is very lucky that she comes back all tan and looking like a real Greek with the green eyes and dark curly hair & deep tan. Speaking of which, I hope Stella speaks some Greek this upcoming season and supposedly her and Mac talk about church so it's a possibility :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back