Stella #3 - She's No Ordinary Superwoman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, tomorrow I'm going to Spain for 16 days.. So I'll miss the great Melina pictures, but one thing is great I've got Dutch TV in Spain so I can watch CSI NY with Melina :p Gonna miss you all ;)

Nothing beats Greek olive oil :p. I'm just kidding but since I was bored I decided to translate Melina's full name, Melina Eleni Kanakaredes, from Greeklish & it came out to this...

"Μελίνα Ελένη "κανακαρεδες"

Since it was from an online site it might not be 100% correct. Still, that's pretty cool!

ok..her first and middle name are totally correct..now for her surname j_please try it with ipsilon and then itta..[if you can understand for what I'm talking about coz I wouldn't understand that either ! :lol:]I tried it myself but instead of greek letters I get numbers and I have the encoding..anyway..try it when you can! :D

Whoa, check out what I found when I typed "Melina Kanakaredes Greek" into the google search engine. It's a long article so I'll post the link for everyone to read but I'll quote her recipe for a tyropita/cheese pie:

Yield: 20 servings

Ingrediants
1 pk Feta cheese (8 oz)
1 cn Ricotta cheese (15 oz)
2 lg Eggs
1 lb Baby shrimp, or large shrimp cut into bite-size pieces
Fresh dill to taste
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 pk Frozen won-ton skins (20)
2 Egg whites, beaten
4 t Either canola oil, corn oil, or whipped salad dressing

Cooking Process:

1. Blend feta cheese, ricotta cheese, and eggs together until creamy.

2. Add shrimp, then dill, salt, and pepper to taste.

3. Brush each defrosted won ton skin with beaten egg whites to keep from sticking.

4. Spread 1 teaspoon of shrimp-and-cheese mixture ont each skin.

5. Heat oil in frying pan.

6. Fold skins in half and fry for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden.

Serve as an appetizer

You don't have to add the shrimp if you don't want to 'cause I never had a tyropita with it before.

The rest of the article is here. The article is almost 12 years old but it's still fun to read :). Oh, and they spelt tyropita the American way I guess.

I'm glad you liked it :). My favourite part of the article was when Melina talked about her yiayia Areti asking her why her character on Guiding Light talked in broken English & Melina responded, "Yiayia, you know that's the way YOU speak." :lol: That was cute. It's funny because my pappou & yiayia have been in Canada since '68 yet they still maintain their Greek accents. I did notice a slight accent when she spoke Greek to Mac in that episode The Closer. I'm like that too and what I mean by that is that even though I lived in Canada my whole life I saw Greek words(especially areas in Greece) with an accent & Melina is like that too.

J, why are you pimping out food for? :lol: Not that I don't mind of course. ;)

and somehow, I knew you would have something posted with Olive Oil ;)

:lol: I'm not pimping anything. Maybe one day when I'm bored I'll try out Melina's tyropita recipe. I wouldn't add the shrimp & I would substitute my virgin olive oil for the type suggested. Melina must know how to cook a lot of other Greek dishes since her husband is a chef. :lol: Could you imagine if she taught the team how to make moussaka or baclava or dolmathes.

LMAO. I can just see them all in the kitchen learning how to cook! That would be hilarious. Especially if one of them messed up on purpose as a joke on her!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back