Shrine of Archie-goodness

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by korbjaeger, Jan 1, 2002.

1. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

He hasn't really said much about it to me, although he mentions projects he might have going on during "CSI" hiatus, and just the way he phrased it indicates to me that he plans to be back. Again - not an official confirmation one way or the other. I'll ask him, though...

2. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

Oh I'm sure he'll be on CSI as long as there is CSI. He's one of the lab techs that got their own following. He might not be there every episode (like Hodges) but he's one of the most recognized characters from the show.

Personally, an episode is not complete without him. :D

3. chaostheory08

Archie's role in Hills Have Eyes 2.

Dr. Han is a hip geek and a military tech expert. He gets dispatched in the film's extended opening sequence.

Something extra -- CSI:NY's Sid Hammerback played by Robert Joy played one of the mutant family members in the first installment.

4. ARCH_angel

ARCH_angel Dead on Arrival

Just found an interview with Archie in which he quoted this:

Another independent film being released in 2003 is My Daughter's Tears. Tell us about this drama.
    That's a murder mystery. It's a courtroom drama. It takes place in Los Angeles and in Berlin. I don't know how to explain it. It's a courtroom murder mystery. I play the reporter that basically cracks the case; that stumbles upon the information, reveals that the mother is not the killer when it looks like she is the whole time.

Now we know a bit about his part in this movie.
    And eventough he´s not really sure what kind of movie it is, I´d presume it´s a courtroom murder mystery. ;) :D

I hope the movie will be repeated soon again on tv. I wanna watch it!

Wow, just found another article with some interesting news about Archie and his family (well, it´s from 2003):

Archie Kao never dreamed his role on CBS's CSI:Crime Scene Investigation would solve a big mystery of his own. Kao, who hasn't seen his dad since his parents divorced when he was 1, recently got a call from one of seven half sisters he never knew he had. Having seen Kao on CSI, she told him their father, Robert, had been searching for him for years. Kao hasn't reached out yet: "I wanted this for so long. Now that I have it, I don't know what to do."

Seven half sisters?!? :eek: He must have been a little bit shocked to learn that he has so many siblings. They are strangers, but still his family.
    Well, I guess meanwhile he has contact to his sisters and his father and I hope it turned out all right.

5. chaostheory08

Lol, he's the oldest and the only boy, right?

Question... are his parents born in the US already or did they migrate from China?

6. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

I'll ask him those questions next time I get a chance. I think his family's from Taiwan but again I'll confirm that with him. Is it getting time for another Q & A? :lol: I dunno, last one took a while, he's a busy boy...

And yes, that pretty much describes his role in THHE2. I guess most of the best actors have one such "cannon fodder" role in some really crappy movie somewhere on their IMDb page...not this far into their career, but... :rolleyes:

7. chaostheory08

^Well, Asians -- in and outside Hollywood -- do have a specific stereotype. I don't like it but we've learned to suck it in and accept it. For Chinese, it's usually good in Math and yeah, because Japanese are great in computers and robotics.... I wasn't surprised why Archie was cast as the A/V lab tech or tech expert or the one he had in PRLG.

Whoa, Taiwan! Nice! Wo ai Taiwan (I love Taiwan). :D <-- yeah, I'm trying to learn Mandarin for two years now haha.

8. ARCH_angel

Another Q & A would be great! :D
    Sure he´s quite busy. We would be grateful if he´d answer some further questions and we don´t mind if he needs some time to answer.

It would be nice of you to ask him some questions about his family. But I hope he won´t be bugged, cause it´s his privacy. So I say it´s up to you to decide whether it´s okay or not. You know him. ;)

9. ARCH_angel

Never thought about that, but now you´ve mentioned it... I´m afraid you´re right.

We Germans are usually often typecast too: not only because of our history :( , but also about our allegedly characteristic traits: always on time, hard-working, stiff and not much sense of humor. (Imagine a barfing smilie right here X)

I don´t like stereotype thinking, and it´s a shame. Everyone has his own personality and should be treated like that.
    But I guess it´s too, well, difficult for some ppl. :rolleyes:

A colleague of mine speaks/writes Chinese (don´t ask me if Mandarin or whatever) and he says that it´s VERY difficult. But he has lived nearly 2 years in Hongkong so he had the chance to exercise everyday. ;)

10. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

Yeah, as one poster on another board pointed out, about the only Hollywood movie where an Asian guy "got the girl" was "The One" (Jet Li). For the most part, though, they're portrayed as timid, nerdy and asexual. Chaos has read my "tirade" about that on LJ ;) Hopefully that'll open up and there will be more and better parts written not just specifically for Asian actors, but for actors of non-specific ethnicity which are then filled by Asian performers. Took a while for other ethnicities, the time will come, it's gonna take both work and patience...

Anyway...popping in in case any other SoCal peeps are reading, there's gonna be four more screenings of "Fast Money" in the next month:

"First Look" - USC sponsored event. Thursday April 10, 7:30 p.m., DGA Theatre, event website here. Reservations required. Also a second screening in this festival on Saturday April 14 at USC School of Cinematic Arts Norris Theatre Complex. The Saturday program starts at 10:30 a.m. but I think FM screens in the afternoon. Again, reservations required, but both screenings are free and open to the public.

Then, the Newport Beach Film Festival, Tuesday April 24 at 9 p.m. at Edwards Island Cinemas - Cox Theater, 999 Newport Center Dr, Newport Beach, CA 92660. Event website here. Sorry I don't have info on ticket prices or sale date.

Finally, Thursday April 26 at 8 p.m. at Project: Involve, REDCAT Theater (Disney Concert Hall), 135 N. Grand Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90012. Like "First Look", tix are free and available to the public, but you do need reservations, which you can secure via e-mail at ProjectInv@FilmIndependent.org.

If anyone's going on the 10th and/or 26th, maybe I'll see ya there. :cool:

Oh, and ARCH - while I do confess pretty much every German I've ever met has had an incredibly strong work ethic - they're FAR from humorless! In fact my German friends are some of the funniest and most fun-loving people I know...

11. chaostheory08

Lol, ARCH -- at least you guys are on time. We Filipinos... are rarely on time ('cept for me haha).

Anyway, yeah, it's damn hard to WRITE in Chinese (all the dialects -- Cantonese, Mandarin, Fookien -- have the same set of characters) and to SPEAK as well because you have to take note of the intonations. Different intonation, different meaning.

Haha, I was watching "Happenstance" yesterday and before that airing, AXN (the carrier of CSI in Asia) was showing "The One". Well, two Archies in one night. :D

Anyway, if given the choice (read: if I'm a writer for CSI for a day lol), I would give Archie a chance to at least speak a line of Mandarin on the show -- maybe show (-off to Grissom maybe lol) that he could somehow understand the language. That would be pretty cool.

12. chaostheory08

:) If there'll be another QA, if it's not much of a trouble, I want to ask him if he has a Chinese name. All my Chinese friends have one even if they don't use it -- they use their English name.

Thanks! :D

13. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

I may broach the subject with him...depending on his schedule. I think the timing was bad last time, he had so many projects going on. IF he agrees to another one, I'd rather shoot for sometime early in the Season 8 process.

I will mention that a number of folks have questions for him, though. He may prefer to handle it a different way. I want to get him involved in the postboard on PKO...it's just so quiet there, we need to get more message traffic. If he did that, though, it'd open up new opportunities for questions and answers instead of throwing him a big pile all at once.

Like I say, though...it'd be an easier "sell" if folks got more involved. I have stat software, I know the site itself is getting quite a bit of traffic...

14. chaostheory08

Actually, ALL my friends who somehow watch CSI know and like Archie. Haha, not just because he's Asian like us but he's.... *risking to sound like a fangirl* cute. :D

Yeah, it would be nice if he dropped by the msgboard from time to time. I am a member of some boards which the celebrity subject actually takes part, if s/he has time, of course. And for fans, it's really a great feeling to have your 'idol' message you back or talk to you in a way. :)

15. korbjaeger

korbjaeger Pathologist

Like I say, it'll be easier to sell him on the idea once more people start posting there. Also, he's a VERY slow typist, so I wouldn't count on him participating often even if he does decide to join in. I'll mention it to him. The athlete I used to run a website for has an official site now (I'm one of the mods) and he posts every once in a while - not super often, but he is involved. He's fortunate in that his brother in law does the typing for him (and his bro in law is an IT worker and a good typist) - and with 82 regular games a season, plus playoffs, plus international competition in the summer...he's pretty busy too.

Just sayin'. Next time I see him/talk to him I'll bring it up. Do you (not just Chaos - any of you) have any ideas how to get more folks involved in the postboard? How about a meme or something? :cool: