Say NO to Homophobia

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by beautifulview, Feb 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midnightbellzza

midnightbellzza Coroner

Hmm...some friends, like blah! Today I had my friend apologise to me, and she said it was just so shocking that she didn't know what eles to say, and she felt really bad and didn't mean it. I don't know whether to believe her or not...I mean I want too, but I don't wanna forgive her then find out she's been saying stuff behind my back anyways...grr, how confusing!

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Bumpseys.

Since I closed the other thread, thought should bump this up ;)

3. Roosey

Roosey Captain

Good Ducky! :D Allrighty, anyone's got funny lines, or something? I'm bored to death.

4. Nienna Berylla

Nienna Berylla CSI Level Two

so sorry for starting a new thread i didnt saw this one before so i will discus here..

5. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

So. What was the original concept of this thread? To discuss homosexuality in general? I haven't read through it all...
    Anything that hasn't been asked/discussed/told before?

6. Roosey

Roosey Captain

Original post. :)

7. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

That's very nicely put, wouldn't know what to add to that ;)

8. Nienna Berylla

Nienna Berylla CSI Level Two

me neither im just clear with it.. :mad: :(

9. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

It's ok. And sometimes evensearching for these topics is difficult because you don't know the words used in topic. But Just always check few pages back ;) (and remember to choose from dropdown box e.g. from last month)

10. ziggystarduzt

ziggystarduzt CSI Level Two

I was just reading the thread Nathalie started...

I find the L Word boring and far too 'Sex in the City' for me. I think that what is needed is more gay characters in regular shows about regular people- where being gay is not, in and of itself, a huge thing. The only gay characters we see in media are on shows specifically devoted to being about homosexuality- The L Word, Queer As Folk, Will and Grace, etc. While that is a hell of a lot better than the situation was in times past, it's still not enough, imho.

11. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

I totally agree, ziggystarduzt. I think there'a a real lack of "average" gay characters in drama shows.
    I mean there's ER's Kerry Weaver but you hardly ever see her, and there's some very minor gay characters on other shows but mostly they are just used for b-plots or to confirm stereotypes.
    Whenever you see a gay person on a drama show they're something along the lines of a victim/relative/etc (I'm mainly talking crimeshows here, because that's what I watch). So, it's either that or it's the 'new guy/girl' who gets to be the centre of the rumor mill, one day comes out for effect and then is never seen again.
    Another thing that really annoys me is that, once they decide to have regular lesbians on a show (even if they're not in the main cast) basically all they want is to settle and have a baby. Not that there's anything wrong with showing a lesbian couple having a baby, but that plot feels highly overdone and still it's like the only storyline writers ever come up with.
    One more thing: While there are shows solely focussed on queer people, they are all more or less comedy. Not intentionally (L Word) but they feel like comedy to me because I just can't take them seriously.
    I still watch those shows but that doesn't mean I am satisfied with the light they shine on homosexuality. I can take them for what they are because I have my own view of things, but when I think about all those people who have no real connection to it, they get all their prejudices confirmed and get a good laugh on top of that. Those shows spur more homophobia than they dispel, IMO.

Shutting up now...

12. CSIsMANIAC

CSIsMANIAC Captain

Hmm...what about 'Queer Eye for a Straigth Guy'? Never watched before but have read about it. Five gay guys choose a random straight guy and give him a total makeover and his house too.

I have no problem with homosexuals. And I was actually wondering what the 'L' in 'The L Word' stands for. So now I know and I can easily say that I won't like that show very much. They could have gotten a better title. Or at least a better storyline.

13. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Well, I've never watched "Queer Eye" but as far as I know the whole concept of that show is light entertainment and it's more about fashion&style than homosexuality. And it once again supports the image of gays being bubbly, freaky people who obsess over fashion, and while I know some who are exactly like that, it's not the majority.

As for the L. They have this funny thing about having all their ep-titles begin with an L, so the L stands for lozs of things. Should be "lächerlich" though, it's german and means ridiculous, which I think the show is. :p
    But, hey, the girls are HOT so I'm not complaining -much.

14. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

I'm not gay, but I have a question. Why is the media making such a big deal out of Clay Aiken (and others) being gay or not? Sexuality doesn't affect if an individual can sing, act or perform, or engage in any other societal function. That attitude just makes me angry. My cousin is lesbian, and she earned every bit of respect she received as a high-school teacher here in California. Schools didn't care about her personal life.

15. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

The problem with famous people is that the media generally wants to know as much as possible about their personal lives because appearantly that is what a lot of folks are intrested in. And frankly, sexual orientation is a huge part of somebody's personality. So it is considered a big deal.
    Furthermore, there are few topics which are more "scandalous" than being gay, don't ask me why, but it's probably the most cotroversial thing about a celebrity. Far more so seemingly than stars who cheat, get drunk or otherhow act out of line.
    It's sad but true. According to many, god forgives you for faults such as drugs, public defamations and several felonies but don't you dare being gay, that's unacceptable.

I don't know about other professions, I think that highly depends on the area and the people you work with, as far as my experience goes people don't really care much about s.o. apart from placing bets on it for a while. Average people are just not as interesting as celebrities I gues...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.