Say NO to Homophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gay.. heh.. like I said before.. 'gay' means 'happy', that is what I teach my pupils when they call each other that.. like this kid: "miss, what is gay? those guys keep calling me gay!" me: "gay means that you're happy".. heh, you should've seen the faces of those 12-year-old bullies.. I'd never been more satisfied ever! :lol:

Okay, I got really mad today.

There were these two guys at a Starbucks, they were walking next to eachother holding hands *I thought it was rather cute ^^*. So anyways, they looked really happy, just minding their own business, and some guy walks up to them and says, "You sure look pretty in your white dress shirt," and walks off across the street. They ignored it and walked inside.

I was seething with anger! I almost jumped out of my car and yelled, "**** off, you homophobic pig!" :mad:

JayneEmilysRealm said:

Gay.. heh.. like I said before.. 'gay' means 'happy', that is what I teach my pupils when they call each other that.. like this kid: "miss, what is gay? those guys keep calling me gay!" me: "gay means that you're happy".. heh, you should've seen the faces of those 12-year-old bullies.. I'd never been more satisfied ever! :lol:

That's great, Jayne! I would have loved to see those looks myself. But then again, those kids might ask more...er...weird questions later. I know I asked some shocking ones at that age.

12 may be diffrent in the US but here people at that age tend to be the worst. 7th grade is all about being cool, and saying "that's so gay" every other sentence is apparently helping their "image". Whenever I hear them say it on the bus or something I am just like, "oh you're real witty" that usually bugs em when high school people find them immature :lol:.

12 is freshman's year at secondary school here, so one tries to be tough to fit in.. but honestly that school lacked respect in any kind of form.. but normally, the kids do behave.. hmm.. well with me as their teacher probably not though :lol: I mean, come on, I might be a teacher but I love pushing the borders sometimes too.. though not when it comes to hurting people.

Today I told another friend of mine that I was gay.. he was like: *WOOT* "now you're one of us! and you can come with me when I need new clothes, because it takes my gf 3 hours! And we can drink loads of beeeeers and talk about football!!" Me: "I'm gay, Martin, not guy" :p

JayneEmilysRealm said:
Today I told another friend of mine that I was gay.. he was like: *WOOT* "now you're one of us! and you can come with me when I need new clothes, because it takes my gf 3 hours! And we can drink loads of beeeeers and talk about football!!" Me: "I'm gay, Martin, not guy" :p
ROFLMAO. :lol: Good one.

12 is freshman's year at secondary school here, so one tries to be tough to fit in.. but honestly that school lacked respect in any kind of form.. but normally, the kids do behave.. hmm.. well with me as their teacher probably not though I mean, come on, I might be a teacher but I love pushing the borders sometimes too.. though not when it comes to hurting people.

hey I went into LGHS not knowing anybody and I didn't need to act like a *censored* to make friends :rolleyes:. What is the school system there like, I am trying to place it in parallel to US schools. We have elementary school: K-5 (ages 5-10 about), middle school: 6-8 (ages 11-13) then highschool 9-12/ Freshmen- Senior (ages 14-18).

Sounds a bit like Clymer, well he jumps about 10 meters past the boundary line but it is funny. We all know he is kidding when he threatens to dismember Dutchland and stick him in a fling cabinet :D. Fun teachers are the best, you should come to the US and teach here next year :cool:.

Laetri said:
What is the school system there like, I am trying to place it in parallel to US schools. We have elementary school: K-5 (ages 5-10 about), middle school: 6-8 (ages 11-13) then highschool 9-12/ Freshmen- Senior (ages 14-18).
The Dutch educational system is rather complicated to explain.
Primary school: 4-12
Secondary school: 12-16 (when doing the lowest level), 17 (middle level), 18 (highest level)
Lower vocational school: from 16 (everybody can enter)
Higher vocational school: from 17 (at least when you've done middle level at sec school or lower vocational school)
University: from 18 (only when you've done highest level or higher vocational school)
I hope this makes sense. So for example I took middle level at secondary school, then I entered higher vocational school and now I'm finishing off university (but because I already did the higher vocational school, I only have to do the last two years of Uni, in stead of the whole four years).

Wow, Jayne, sounds like your education system is quite thorough.

Back on subject, though, I remember quite a few instances of homophobia when I was younger. For instance, I once caught flack from the other students for blowing a kiss at another girl. I also had some crushes which made me kind hang around my object at the moment, wait after school to walk (part of the way) home. I was the "weird kid" and something of a wimp since I never really fought back, just slunk to a corner somewhere. It didn't really help that I was something of a nerd, either.

Teacher crushes were really excruciating. I'd try to pay attention and wind up staring and then hanging around just for a smile or a compliment. I really hated being attracted to a teacher or boss, even now. It would severely distract me from doing my work hovering between seeking attention and fearing rejection.

I didn't know what "faggot" or "dyke" meant, but I understood "gay" and "homosexual" and didn't really make the connection until I was a teenager. I could never understand the homophobia I came across back then. Someone would make a comment about "queers" and when I would ask what the big deal was, I'd get blank looks.

When the AIDS epidemic first hit in the 80's, there was some sort of "gay panic" among my classmates. Calling someone a "faggot" or "queer" became instant fighting words. Back then, nobody really understood the nature of HIV/AIDS. All we knew was that it was a terrible disease that inflicted gay men. Fortunately, quite a few teachers took the time to explain it to us. In junior high, a teacher showed us this tape that explained what AIDS was and how someone got it. Much emphaisis was made on the point that it wasn't transmitted through casual comment. Then, a friend of mine made her science project about HIV/AIDS. We learned a lot from that and she won first prize in Biology (I aced the Physics bit :D). Later in high school, I had a Health class which extensively covered just about every manner of sex education you can imagine (and this was in New York). We learned all about birth control, pregnancy, masturbation, all manners of sexual expression (yes, we covered bestiality too). Of course, I knew most of it from books I'd read earlier, but the biggest impact for me was when Mr. C (eh, can't remember his name at the moment. Gym teacher) devoted most of the semsester about AIDS; what causes it, what can be done to prevent it and condoms, condoms, condoms (did I mention this was in New York?). A lot of this was interwoven into the other subjects. I learned a lot from that class and took it to heart. Better, even back then in high school, aside from a few nasty comments here and there, nobody really cared about who was gay or not. I was still unsure at that point but I fit right in with a few circles.

At any rate, my queerness has given me a unique outlook on life. My best friend in high school once asked me to imagine if the whole world was gay and was only became straight to have kids. Sounds nice, but we're already a piece of a huge tapestry called life. We have our place here, it's just that everyone else hasn't figured it out yet.

But they will... :cool:

at least we're teaching about AIDS and HIV awareness. in my class, (health) everyone is saying "thats's a gay people disease"

i felt sick... then i went to a 7th grade class to teach about AIDS/HIV and they didn't know the ways it was transmitted. so my group voted i explain to 12 yearolds about different types of ways it could be trasmitted. i'm not sure if i can write what i said, but i most general terms, i explained 3 types of sex that you can contract it.

lol. anyway...

here is an old poem

why do you hate them
and why do you judge them
are they really that different
or are they actually just the same
can they not love eachother
is it really that wrong
how can you treat them this way
what have they ever done to you

nothing
they have done nothing
the deserve a lot more than nothing
and so does everyone

last time i checked

chelsea <3

Trent, I'm actually quite surprised that you got so much info-classes and stuff, I mean, we hear all these negative things about the US, esp about homosexuality, that we start to think that it's throughout the whole of the US.

Chelsea, thank's for sharing that poem, it's beautiful, I really love it :D

I told a friend that I was gay, and he was rather surprised (he doesn't know me that well yet) but he responded well and all of a sudden he says: "well, so actually you have some kind of a mental abnormality." Me: "What?" He: "well like you like girls, and that was never really the intention, so something in your mind must've gone wrong!" Me: "Don't go all Freudian on me! I studied Psychoanalysis, I know what Freud thinks! And what do you mean, it was never the intention?" He: "For you to like girls." Me: "Why not?" He: "God created man and woman for a reason and never wanted homosexuals." Me: "But I don't believe in God.. I believe in the Goddess and she wanted me to be gay.. she actually wanted everyone to be so!!" He: "Huh? How do you know?" Me: "Because I created her." And then I walked off.. gawd, naive people in my life.. I ditch those.

JayneEmilysRealm said:
Trent, I'm actually quite surprised that you got so much info-classes and stuff, I mean, we hear all these negative things about the US, esp about homosexuality, that we start to think that it's throughout the whole of the US.

Chelsea, thank's for sharing that poem, it's beautiful, I really love it :D

I told a friend that I was gay, and he was rather surprised (he doesn't know me that well yet) but he responded well and all of a sudden he says: "well, so actually you have some kind of a mental abnormality." Me: "What?" He: "well like you like girls, and that was never really the intention, so something in your mind must've gone wrong!" Me: "Don't go all Freudian on me! I studied Psychoanalysis, I know what Freud thinks! And what do you mean, it was never the intention?" He: "For you to like girls." Me: "Why not?" He: "God created man and woman for a reason and never wanted homosexuals." Me: "But I don't believe in God.. I believe in the Goddess and she wanted me to be gay.. she actually wanted everyone to be so!!" He: "Huh? How do you know?" Me: "Because I created her." And then I walked off.. gawd, naive people in my life.. I ditch those.

actually I think our schools are doing pretty well teaching about AIDS (judging only on LGHS and Fisher). But yes I would say the US is the most pigheaded nation when it comes to homosexuality. George W. Bush addressed the nation on the issue (the first time since 04') and so now all the stupid conservative a**holes are being all, stupid. I am not very articulate when I just wake up but basically I wish we could mess with their heads so they think society/the law dictates that you have to marry someone of their same sex and they can no longer be with their current spouse :lol:.

That is a really funny story. The Goddess :lol:.

I stole my brother's psychology textbook before he could sell it back to his college and I read this part in it that I found this chapter on homosexuality and it made a good analogy;

"Sexual orientation is in some ways like handedness; most people are one way, some the other. A very few are truly ambidextrous. Regardless, the way one is endures."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back