Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

that type of storyline is the biggest chiche for tv and movies...that is one of the reasons it is kind of dumb for csi to go that route, it is supposed to be a different type of show...

It's only a cliche if you treat it like one. Running around the office making out, hiding it "obviously", making it all about the age difference. They don't do that on CSI.

you can rationalize it all you want, but that doesn't make a storyline about a younger female sleeping with her boss any less of a chiche.

well to me the way TPTB are handling GSR definitely makes it the most un-cliche pairings there, from what could have been seen like a perfect cliche. if you look at only those two variables - age and job position, yes, it's cliche. but this relationship is so much deeper than that, that i don't really notice anymore that Grissom is her supervisor, neither that he's a little older. there's so much more to that, and i think it's shallow to perceive their relationship basing only on age and what kind of job they perform.

xfcanadian you can rationalize it all you want, but that doesn't make a storyline about a younger female sleeping with her boss any less of a chiche.
That's a very convenient way to word things, as it suggests that it doesn't matter what skillful argument anyone uses to explain why they think your conclusion is wrong; it'll just be dismissed as "rationalization" anyway, allowing people to feel comfortable with not changing their minds for any reason no matter how logical or compelling that reason might be. Despite that, I'm going to give it a shot.

My biggest problem with your statement is that if "cliche" is going to be used as that blunt of an instrument, then just about every single plot point out there is cliche by now. There really is nothing new under the sun, because if you're going to stick to believable writing then you're limited as to your options.

For example, had Grissom dated a younger woman outside of work, or a woman of his own age in the workplace, or out of the workplace, or an older woman in the workplace, or out of the workplace, or played the field, or had stayed on his own without dating anyone, or discovered he was gay and in the closet... look around, and you'll find tons of stories where the protagonist does the same. Therefore, using your definition of "cliche", the writers couldn't have Grissom do anything that wouldn't be "cliche", because every single option has already been played out a hundred times in millions of other stories. So if "cliche" is used as broadly as you use it, it no longer has any meaning. Everything's cliche. You might as well give up reading/watching/listening to stories altogether.

What really makes a plotline cliche, IMO, are the details. If it plays out like every other story to the point where you can rattle off what's going to happen next, then it's cliche. Grissom and Sara constantly bantering and arguing and bitching to mask their sexual attraction? Cliche. (Sorry Hodges and Wendy, but I'll give you guys a pass seeing as you had about twenty seconds to establish your dynamic.) Grissom and Sara barely speaking about anything other than the case but using body language to show how they are in sync? Not cliche.

Grissom and Sara agonizing over their issues for a maximum of five episodes before heading for the money shot? Cliche. Grissom and Sara taking five years to deal with their own private issues before they're in a good place to date each other? Not cliche.

Grissom and Sara bantering/arguing/bitching until their big kiss and they fall into bed together? Cliche. Grissom and Sara taking six years to work themselves up into a relationship and then we don't see anything more intimate than lounging around in a bathrobe/godawful shirt and a shaving scene? Not cliche.

Grissom and Sara making out at the office behind closed doors or the janitorial closet? Cliche. Grissom and Sara not even having shared a kiss on screen, despite dating for nearly a year that we know of (and probably closer to two)? Not cliche.

Grissom and Sara constantly going up and down on the angst rollercoaster to manufacture "drama" for the people at home? Cliche. Grissom and Sara only interacting in a work context except for little slivers of domestic bliss here and there? Not cliche.

The devil is in the details. It's not the basic plotlines that make a story cliche, as every single plotline has been done to death anyway. It's not even in the details themselves, really, as you'll find stories everywhere with those exact same details. It's the particular mix of detail, and the way that the actors/directors/set designers mix those details, that make a story original.

This is precisely what I see going wrong with Grey's Anatomy these days. It really used to be unpredictable - other than Mer-Der, of course, which is about as "cliche" as they come (still fun to watch for most people, I'll admit). But it's like since they rocketed to stardom in the second season, the third season has been all about creating the SHOCKING!MOMENT!s that everybody discussed around the watercooler in Season 2.

The SHOCKING!MOMENT!s worked in Season 2 because they served the story and not the other way around. Grey's was good, solid storytelling, with a SHOCKING!MOMENT! here and there to make your jaw drop and cause you to do nothing at work the next day except chat and make you impatient for next Sunday. But with Season 3, it's like they're trying to think of every SHOCKING!MOMENT! they can think of, and then building a story around it so that they have an excuse to show it. I can't tell you who has slept with who or who is sleeping with who now; the shortest way to put it is "They've all done each other."

Cliche is precisely what's wrong with Grey's these days... just think of the most preposterous storyline, and sure enough, it gets brought up. (The most recent one, judging from the promos, is a prime example.) And if Shonda & Co. don't turn their ship around soon, I predict that sometime in the next season (and possibly even in this one) you are going to see a ratings drop. Just about everyone I know, online or not, is disillusioned with Grey's these days, and it's only a matter of time before that's reflected in the ratings.

This is quite different from CSI, which has actually delighted a lot of people this season... and no, not just the GSR-shippers, either. When professional critics like Matt Roush of TV Guide and Ken Tucker of Entertainment Weekly make a point of writing reviews about how good CSI is this season, I think it's safe to say that it's more than just the wishful hopes of Geek Lovers at work here. But, speaking of that devil, what CSI has done with Grissom and Sara is truly original. I'd challenge anyone to find me a story that has done this plotline in the exact same manner as CSI has done... same details, same themes, everything.

well i would think that the whole office romance (regardless of who the participants are) is a cliche that you see over and over again. but, when you have a show that takes place at work, and a very large cast already, they probably dont want to bring in someone else or take time away from the regulars for a romance so they just pair them up.

i think a relationship between characters was the last thing csi needed, but thats just me. and no matter who they paired up there would have been people that were mad, hated the relationship, and might stop watching. i really see it as a win lose situation, they win over the people that like it but lose those who dont.

they cant win over everyone. if they do what they feel is right for the show but lose some viewers in the process than so be it. i would agree that they have lost some viewers to competition but some are their own fault too.

I think what Dee and Adz are trying to say, though, is not that the concept isn't cliched. It's not that the scenario is cliched. It's not that the age difference and job statuses are not cliched. It's the fact that they took a VERY cliched arrangement and managed to make it the complete opposite of what you expect. Where's the scene with them making out on his desk? Where's the scene with co-workers becoming suspicious and investigating them? Where's the scene with Ecklie almost walking in or any number of hilarious "close calls" like you see on Grey's Anatomy?

They aren't present.

I'm not trying to win you over, allmaple, and honestly - this isn't the kind of relationship that purely in terms of the show is in your face. That, to me, is a benefit of how they've handled it. If you don't like it, you usually only have to sit through about 25 seconds of it.

And while I'm aware that the ratings for the last episode haven't been finalized, I will point out that in this latest string of GA-less episodes, the one that was advertised with GSR got the highest numbers.

Now, I am the first person to say that I don't trust the Nielsen method enough to be able to go, "Oh yes - absolutely. That one trailer did it."

Having said that, the numbers do speak. And to say that the last two episodes afterwards were backlash is ridiculous because, again, the entire GSR scene was shown in the preview. And the earlier minor GSR scene was shown in the preview clip provided by TPTB before the show.

Also consider that this is the first year that TPTB are allowing free downloads of the episodes from their site and that TiVo is a growing option for many people. ALL TV numbers of older, big shows, are down. Lost, American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, Desperate Housewives, House... you name it, it's probably down in the ratings. I don't think that when you take a look at TiVo and the free downloads, it's any mystery why.

If the ratings hadn't begun to dive in Season 6, if the last few episodes had all been 28 or 29 million like the start of the season, I would agree with you. But they weren't. People had begun to lose interest. And now you give them a serialized case that they had to be watching to understand, and I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that those who had watched Grey's instead when it was on might not want to come into a story halfway through and be confused. TPTB have made so many gambles this season, combined with the dipping ratings of the previous season, to blame it on just one source.

Consider this: Spellbound got 23 million viewers. Even now we would consider those lowish numbers for this season, and that was in a year when 27.5 million was the average. Poppin Tags got 24 million. The ratings were already going down long before anyone in the CSI audience had any idea what the finale was going to be.

sarahvma said:

I'm not trying to win you over, allmaple, and honestly - this isn't the kind of relationship that purely in terms of the show is in your face. That, to me, is a benefit of how they've handled it. If you don't like it, you usually only have to sit through about 25 seconds of it.

oh no no! im not against it at all, i really dont care and to me it hasnt affected the show. sorry if i came off that way, i just understand from reading things online that not all people feel that way.

i think it probably only played a role in who came back this season, not the fluctuations from episode to episode. because like you said, episodes with it do get higher ratings than episodes without it. and for someone else to say 'oh, ratings drop after big gsr episode!' is nonsense. someone sits through the whole episode with it and doesnt come back for an episode with none at all? yeah right.

i think there are lots of factors. and the writing mid way through season 6 (like you said) is probably true. i know everyone is different but those episodes are the worst of the series for me. but im the forever optimist, i give the show the benefit of the doubt and am back every week :)

oh no no! im not against it at all, i really dont care and to me it hasnt affected the show. sorry if i came off that way, i just understand from reading things online that not all people feel that way.

And I get that, and I'm sorry for mistaking your POV here. I guess my only counter to that argument (which, again, I know is not yours) would be that while they may hate it, they're still watching. So it's hard to say that ratings have gone down for something when the people who hate it the most online still tune in.

i think it probably only played a role in who came back this season, not the fluctuations from episode to episode. because like you said, episodes with it do get higher ratings than episodes without it. and for someone else to say 'oh, ratings drop after big gsr episode!' is nonsense. someone sits through the whole episode with it and doesnt come back for an episode with none at all? yeah right.

I think we are kind of assuming, with that, that people have no lives. lol. I mean, it took a good 24 hours after Big Shots before anyone realized that the day before Easter Weekend might have an effect.

That's not a pot-shot at anyone who loves it enough to watch every episode, but I know that I only really bother catching House if I remember that it's on or if I'm not doing anything. I like the show, I just don't love it enough to make sure I watch it.

i think there are lots of factors. and the writing mid way through season 6 (like you said) is probably true. i know everyone is different but those episodes are the worst of the series for me. but im the forever optimist, i give the show the benefit of the doubt and am back every week

As am I. Honestly, had GSR not become canon, I probably would've stopped watching the show. And I would've missed a great season, IMO. I also think that lying to the audience with Leaving Las Vegas (thinking Grissom was gone for good) was a really stupid move. Yes, you get good short-term ratings, but you also piss off part of your audience. Adding to that, the episode had maybe 5 minutes of Grissom, and was 39 minutes of a Catherine case that wasn't even mentioned in the promo.

I think someone here, or maybe it was at TWOP, was talking about how misleading "American" promos are. The CTV one for Leaving Las Vegas was all about the Catherine case, and I can't even remember if Grissom was in it. Supposedly the UK one was the scene between Nick and Grissom, but they made sure to say he was coming back, and made the interaction funny.

So that could be part of it - keep lying to your audience, and they start to feel cheated.

Last year Desperate Housewives was getting an average of 20.02 million per episode. This last episode, they got 16 million. That's down 20% just like CSI. And most reviewers and fans online have said that this season is much better than the last for DH.

I keep pointing to online downloads here.

I'd like to know how many hits Innerturb gets for previous CSI episodes. I also know that "Lab Rats" was in the top 15 episodes downloaded on iTunes since it aired last week.

"Labrats" scoring that high should prove to CBS that we want to see more of the supporting cast.

CSI remains the #1 scripted show on TV for another week. Third overall for the week beneath the American Idols.

Final Numbers

Updated chart:

CSI Season 7 vs. Itself
Season 7 Premiere: 22.58
Episode 2: 23.77 - 5% gain from week before
Episode 3: 21.51 - 9.5% drop
Episode 4: 21.58 - 0.3% gain
Episode 5: 20.49 - 5% drop
Episode 6: 20.53 - 0.2% gain
Episode 7: 20.83 - 1.5% gain
Episode 8: 24.11 - 13.6% gain
Episode 9: 17.171 - 28.8% drop
Episode 10: 23.253 - 26.2% gain
Episode 11: 26.116 - 11% gain
Episode 12: 21.41 - 18% drop
Episode 13: 21.172 - 1.1% drop
Episode 14: 21.494 - 1.5% gain
Episode 15: 22.522 - 4.6% gain
Episode 16: 22.707 - 0.8% gain
Episode 17: 21.780 - 4.1% drop
Episode 18: 22.713 - 4.1% gain
Episode 19: 21.689 - 4.5% drop
Episode 20: 22.181 - 2.2% gain

Average: 21.98 million viewers

Grey's Season 3 vs. Itself

Premiere: 25.4 million viewers
Episode 2: 23.5 million viewers - 7.5% drop from week before
Episode 3: 22.8 million viewers - 3% drop
Episode 4: 21.93 million viewers - 4% drop
Episode 5: 20.96 million viewers - 4.5% drop
Episode 6: 21.03 million viewers - 0.3% gain
Episode 7: 20.65 million viewers - 1.8% drop
Episode 8: 20.92 million viewers - 1.3% gain
Episode 9: 18.509 million viewers - 11.5% drop
Episode 10: 24.01 million viewers - 22.9% gain
Episode 11: 23.032 million viewers - 4.1% drop
Episode 12: 21.942 million viewers - 4.7% drop
Episode 13: 21.504 million viewers - 2.0% drop
Episode 14: 24.18 million viewers - 11.1% gain
Episode 15: 25.197 million viewers - 4% gain
Episode 16: 25.759 million viewers - 2.2% gain
Episode 17: 27.394 million viewers - 6% gain
Episode 18: 22.677 million viewers - 17.2% drop
Episode 19: 22.304 million viewers - 1.6% drop
Episode 19.5: 12.575 million viewers - 43.6% drop (technically doesn't count, but is listed as "episode 19.5"

Average: 22.82 million viewers (average w/19.5 = 22.3)

CSI Season 7 vs. Grey's Season 3

Premiere: Grey's beats CSI by 11.1%
Episode 2: CSI beats Grey's by 1.1%
Episode 3: Grey's beats CSI by 5.7%
Episode 4: Grey's beats CSI by 1.6%
Episode 5: Grey's beats CSI by 2.2%
Episode 6: Grey's beats CSI by 2.4%
Episode 7: CSI beats Grey's by 1%
Episode 8: CSI beats Grey's by 13.2%
Episode 9: Grey's beats CSI by 7.2%
Episode 10: Grey's beats CSI by 3.15%
Episode 11: CSI beats Grey's by 11.8%
Episode 12: Grey's beats CSI by 2.4%
Episode 13: Grey's beats CSI by 1.5%
Episode 14: Grey's beats CSI by 11.1%
Episode 15: Grey's beats CSI by 10.6%
Episode 16: Grey's beats CSI by 11.8%
Episode 17: Grey's beats CSI by 20.5%
Episode 18: CSI beats Grey's by 0.2%
Episode 19: Grey's beats CSI by 2.8%

CSI beat the GA clip show by 43.3%

Overall percentage winner: Grey's with an average of 3.5% (win w/ clip show = 1.16% for GA)

CSI Season 7 vs. CSI Season 6:

Premiere of Season 6 - 29.02 million
Episod 2 - 28.00 million
Episode 3 - 28.85 million
Episode 4 - 28.34 million
Episode 5 - 28.48 million
Episode 6 - 28.73 million
Episode 7 - 29.55 million
Episode 8 - 28.98 million
Episode 9 - 25.72 million
Episode 10 - 30.945 million
Episode 11 - 27.233 million
Episode 12 - 27.128 million
Episode 13 - 25.860 million
Episode 14 - 28.365 million
Episode 15 - 27.416 million
Episode 16 - 27.813 million
Episode 17 - 27.155 million
Episode 18 - 25.234 million
Episode 19 - 23.327 million
Episode 20 - 24.425 million
Episode 21 - 27.365 million
Episode 22 - 26.049 million
Episode 23 - 27.043 million
Episode 24 - 25.401 million

Average: 27.35 million viewers

Premiere of Season 7 - 22.58 million - 22.2% drop
Episode 2 - 23.77 million - 15.1% drop
Episode 3 - 21.51 million - 25.4% drop
Episode 4 - 21.58 million - 23.9% drop
Episode 5 - 20.49 million - 28.1% drop
Episode 6 - 20.53 million - 28.5% drop
Episode 7 - 20.83 million - 29.5% drop
Episode 8 - 24.11 million - 16.8% drop
Episode 9 - 17.171 million - 33.2% drop
Episode 10 - 23.253 million - 24.85% drop
Episode 11 - 26.116 million - 4.1% drop
Episode 12 - 21.41 million - 21.1% drop
Episode 13 - 21.172 million - 18.1% drop
Episode 14 - 21.494 million - 24.2% drop
Episode 15 - 22.522 million - 17.8% drop
Episode 16 - 22.707 million - 18.3% drop
Episode 17 - 21.78 million - 19.8% drop
Episode 18 - 22.713 million - 9.9% drop
Episode 19 - 21.689 million - 7% drop
Episode 20 - 21.9 million - 9.2% drop

Average drop: 19.7%

Since I know percentages get confusing, I made a chart of the actual number, in millions of viewers, who have comparatively tuned out when you compare each episode from Season 6 to its counterpart in Season 7:

Drop From Season 6 in Millions of Viewers

Episode 1 - 6.44 million
Episode 2 - 4.23 million
Episode 3 - 7.34 million
Episode 4 – 6.76 million
Episode 5 – 7.99 million
Episode 6 – 8.2 million
Episode 7 - 8.72 million
Episode 8 – 4.87 million
Episode 9 – 8.549 million
Episode 10 – 7.692 million
Episode 11 – 1.117 million
Episode 12 – 5.718 million
Episode 13 – 4.688 million
Episode 14 – 6.871 million
Episode 15 – 4.894 million
Episode 16 – 5.106 million
Episode 17 – 5.375 million
Episode 18 – 2.521 million
Episode 19 – 1.683 million
Episode 20 – 2.244 million

Average Drop in Millions = 5.55 million viewers

Sorry for the double post, but here is in interesting statistic from Marc Berman:

American Idol opened the evening for Fox with a dominant 25.86 million viewers and a 9.9 rating/27 share among adults 18-49 at 8 p.m. But compared to one year earlier (Viewers: 28.44 million; A18-49: 11.4/32 on April 18, 2006), keep in mind that this was a loss of 2.58 million viewers and 13 percent in the demo.

ETA

House got 22.57 in ratings. If Grey's continues on the same ratings path it had before its hiatus, there's a chance that GA will not be the highest-rated scripted series for this week. That was a title CSI was able to maintain all three of the weeks it went on without GA.

That'll be interesting to see.

I don't know how it'll translate in ratings, but I know that the GA boards are groaning again tonight that, while the episode itself was not bad, the storylines are ones that they as viewers do not want to see and are not invested in, and that the spoilers coming up do not really give them much hope for the future (except for the Addison spin-off, of course). More significantly, the thread for that episode is going up in numbers very slowly, much more slowly than normal. I'm hoping that means that fans are tuning out, but... I guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back