Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

I'm on Team Walsh with this one. Anyone who claims to have not said a similar remark is either lying or delusional. She obviously didn't mean it to be offensive. It's nothing like the IW fiasco. He knowingly used a deliberately hurtful slur. Kate Walsh was just making small talk.

And, quite frankly, your stereotypical mental patient DOES look like that. It's not like she said "those mental patients are morons for dressing poorly!" Then I'd be offended. People need to learn when to take offense to things and when not to take offense. It's almost to the point in society where you can't say anything without offending someone. I just don't get it. Hell, I make fun of myself and laugh when others join in! And she wasn't even making fun. Eh, whatever.

Back on topic. Anyway, I doubt this will harm their ratings. In fact, it may help. You know what they say: "Any publicity is good publicity!"

Like I said, though - I'm not outraged by it. But it's sort of like when Katherine Heigl said, "[Isaiah] just needs to not talk in public for a while" - the whole cast should've been wary of saying something stupid.

And while yes, often people do say silly things like that, it's not in every day life that you know it's going to be written down in a magazine in the midst of controversy over your co-worker being insensitive.

its pretty bad, i dont make light of people like that. apparently, being politically correct is just so last year.
these people need to learn that everything they say is being payed attention to, and even if its supposedly taken out of context it can be offensive to some. even im more careful about what i say and im not out in the public having every word picked on

I agree. I mean, President Bush said "internets" in one debate three years ago and people are still making fun of it.

My point is that these people are in the public eye, and part of their career is selling their personality.

The average person doesn't have to sell themselves to the world in order to get a job. They don't have to worry that they're going to be splashed all over a tabloid for going to a club, and that they'll be badly quoted in a Time article.

Miss Walsh does.

And so, because of that, what she says should be held to a higher standard than the normal person. But also - especially - when you've just witnessed the craziness surrounding someone you work with having gotten in huge trouble for one word.

ETA

Zap2it should have the final ratings out sometime today, so I'll likely be updating the chart.

If anyone wants to answer, could I ask whether the format of the chart is confusing? And what might make it a bit simpler to read?

America loves pie and pie charts ;) The sheer volume of numbers you post scare the dickens out of me. I just know the final tallys have had CSI below Grays and that annoys me. At least they aren't being stomped to bits.

The number of people who watched the superbowl was staggering (98 million!?!). CSI and Grays put together can't even half that.

how about a histogram or scatter plot? :D and then you could do regression and variance and extrapolate... :p

Oh, you laugh now, but...

Yeah, that's pretty much it. You're just going to laugh at me.

Anyway - the first two are up.

well you can laugh at me now :D
inspired by your stats i ran a t-test on the viewers of both shows :lol: without having to explain a t-test, ill just say the difference between the number of people who watch greys or csi is not statistically significant. i got a value of .87, meaning 87% of the time the differnce you see is do to chance alone. ie sampling error.
so, while greys on average has higher numbers, statistically speaking neither show is a victor :)

Funny thing while looking at the charts (thank you by the way). Leaving Las Vegas isn't a suprise at #1 this season, but #2, Happenstance. You know why that is? Because those 2 were the most advertised episodes of the season. Like someone said before, any publicity is good publicity. CBS needs to do a better job of getting CSI's name back out there because I'm betting a lot of people have forgotten about the show. Grissom being on the cover of TV Guide this week should help, and I predict this week's episode will be right at 25 mil. viewers.

I sometimes glance through my mom's Entertainment Weekly and you will see absolutly nothing on CSI, but loads on Grey's, Lost, 24, etc. CBS is lucky to have a show as successful as CSI, and when it's long gone and they have no show holding it's network together like it does now, they will be kicking themself in the ass for not doing more at a time like this.

I forgot about the ratings pool. This is a great time to start doing it. Maybe instead of doing EVERY episode, we should try to guess the "high profile" ones - the ones more likely to see a spike or a drop.

Anyway

mrb105: 25 million (if you didn't want to enter the pool, that's fine - I'll edit this out)
Sarahvma: 23.2 million

I think that while Grissom's return will bring back some fans, others might feel "lied to" by the last one he was in, where it made it sound like he was leaving forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back