"Leggo our Greggo!" - Greg/Eric discussion thread # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you guys... I also remember hearing something about Greg being a prodigy child, and I'm not surprised! I mean, he went from working full time in the lab to a CSI out in the field! He's definitely one-in-a-million. :) According to his conversation w/ Grissom in 'Fannysmackin', he was an only child and his mom was really protective of him. His mom never let him get into the whole sports thing so he probably wasn't very popular so maybe he felt like he let his parents down a little. I also remember in 'Primum Non Nocere' Greg saying something about how his room mate in college made him get his hockey skate blades sharpened so that suggests Greg might have been that guy to pick on in college too. I was kinda a geeky kid when I was little so I would have been best friends with him! :p

I'm really hoping for his parents to show up in an episode (I was hoping for them to in 'Fannysmackin' but 'Post Mortem' would be a good time too cause of the hearing) and see how he's moved out of the lab and like Grissom said about his mom, "You tell her that you risked your life to save someone else's and I think she'll be very proud of you." I'd love to see his mom give him a big hug. :)

Well now Greg is "tv's coolest brainiac" according to TV Guide! If only he knew how loved he is! :D

Yeah, I remember that scene, his room mate forcing him to take the skates..and I would totally love to see his parents too, and after what that inquest is going to be like, if they didn't know before they know he's in the field now.

There are so many little things he lets slip about how he could have been a little bit of an outsider, between his mother being over protective to the virginity thing, to the skates..as much as I'd love to know more about the background of the character, I kind of like the little bits of info here and there too.

But yes, he's totally brilliant, I mean anyone that can get a full academic scholarship in probably chemistry to Stanford has got the brains to do pretty much anything..like he said, he's not just another pretty face. :)

Hey another random question... For those of you who have sent Eric fan mail and recieved something back, what address did you send it to? (I know I said I was sending in my letter a while ago but I'm a procrastinator as I said in the picture thread :p) I found this one in the merchandise thread:

Eric Szmanda
c/o Krista Himelson
B/W/R Public Relations
9100 Wilshire Blvd.
6th Floor, West Tower
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

But I just wanted to be sure it's the right one cause I found several different ones searching online... Thanks guys! :)

This is the address I wrote to and he did reply.

Eric Szmanda
C.S.I.
c/o CBS Television
7800 Beverly Blvd., Room 18
Los Angeles, CA 90036-2615

About Greg being a child prodgiy - This is what it says in the new Ultimate CSI book that just came out. Has a few pages dedicated to each character and this is what it says about Greg: Born May 7 1975, From an early age he showed aptitude in the sciences, with a flair for chenisry. He was educated in a private school for gifted students. (this is just the stuff about his childhood, it says more than this)

Wojo said:
This is the address I wrote to and he did reply.

Eric Szmanda
C.S.I.
c/o CBS Television
7800 Beverly Blvd., Room 18
Los Angeles, CA 90036-2615

This is the address I used too, to send the "get well" card after the "Fannysmackin'" episode. Haven't gotten anything back yet, but I know it can take months. I wrote a fan letter to Ralph Macchio once and months later I got an autographed picture. Not that I expect anything in return either, I just wanted to let Eric know what a great job he did.

I sent Eric a birthday card and it took him a year to reply back. So yeah it could be a long time if/when you hear from him. I alos sent a get well card after fannySmackin to the same address. Hope Eric finds it funny.

Thank you for the info, Wojo. Could you include some more stuff about Greg's background? I'd love to read it.

I have always imagined or hoped that Greg's character would be broadened by showing him pursuing a higher academic degree - a Ph.D, either in chemistry or physics, or something that he could apply towards the field of forensic science. He has shown the audience and Grissom that he has a great capacity to analyze and solve problems while investigating a case. With a background in chemistry and obviously mathematics, pursuing a doctorate degree would be an ideal road for Greg to take while climbing the career ladder.

I really wish the show's writers would take that route with Greg's future.

speakerset said:
But yes, he's totally brilliant, I mean anyone that can get a full academic scholarship in probably chemistry to Stanford has got the brains to do pretty much anything..like he said, he's not just another pretty face. :)

Oh, he's definitely insanely smart...one of my friends got a full ride to Stanford for science (marine biology, I think) and now she's at the top of Google Earth. She's crazy brilliant, too.

I know people who have gotten their degrees in chemistry or mathematics from stanford, harvard and mit..they are scary smart.

I got that book, now I'm going to have to read through that, thank you Wojo for the heads up on that piece of information.

And if he did go to a school for gifted children, then maybe he really wasn't an outsider, maybe he was the cool one out of them, where if he was in a regular school he wouldn't be. I swear now I can picture Greg talking chemistry or biology at lunch but still being the sort of big man on campus, him being the captain of the chess team an all.

The braces, the chess club, the eagle scout..you just have to love that, I'm sorry but I do love the sort of geeky ones.

silhouette said:
I can't remember where I read about the prodigy thing. Probably Wikipedia. Has anyone read the CSI books who can confirm this?

A rare type. I second MMForbiddenDonut. So rare that he should've been labeled 'endangered species' :lol:
I remember Jonathan Togo said that at first Ryan was based on him, so it's possible that Greg was once based on Eric. I think I heard about it too somewhere? Like, how in the casting tape Eric was having the crazy hairstyle and bright shirt or something like that, so it became Greg's? :lol: Don't quote me on this though, my memory sucks :lol: Though I think it's be funny if it's true.

I went hunting for the Wikipedia article on his character and it does mention it. It mentions a few excerpts on it from the book "Killing Game" on pages 114 and 117.

Thanks for agreeing with me. ;) Endangered is right. Every guy I come across where I live is the complete polar opposite of him. And completely disrespectful. Greg would be someone I would date because not only because he a complete hottie, but he also has a wonderful personality. Articles I have read on Eric, it sounds like there is not much difference in the two. I remember an article I read about him in "People" and Marg said his parents raised him right. He is a respectful actor. He keeps his life private and is not pasted all over the tabloids.

speakerset said:
I can't be the only one that thought that Sara maybe shouldn't have told Mia that

No, you're not. :) My mom (who also thinks Greg is a cutie- my parents get the biggest kick out of him and the crazy things he does. When he was heading to the crime scene in "Fannysmackin", my mom goes "aw, that poor thing!" She felt so bad for him.) and I were watching that episode one night and when Mia said that, my mom goes "now why did she have to say that? That was not nice!"

Uh oh. I didn't break rules by quoting twice did I? I'm still trying to get a handle on all the rules. :confused:

For people who are curious to Greg's bio in the CSI:Companion....

Greg Hojem Sanders was born in Santa Gabriel California where he enjoyed a happy childhood living with his mother, father and Scandinavian grandparents. At an early age, his family became aware that Greg was a child with unique abilities. Ever since he picked up his toy chemistry set at age four, Greg knew he wanted to be a scientist. His parents enrolled him in school a year early, and Greg quickly advanced through grades, scoring off the charts on his standardised math and science examinations. When school administrators insisted his gifts be given special attention, Greg’s parents sent him to a private school where the prodigy could be more appropriately challenged.

Greg Sanders was an active participant in his education and did his best to be accepted socially among his peers, although his aptitude was better suited for being Captain of the Chess club rather than Captain of the Football team. He always stood out from the crowd wit his wildly entertaining personality, a rarity among the serious-minded multitudes. Because Greg spent most of his teenage years among adults in mature environments, he was painfully aware that the stressful pace and highly charged competition would cause him to miss out on some of the joys of youth.

After graduation Phi Beta Kappa from Stanford on a full academic scholarship, Greg began working as a lab technician in the San Francisco Police Department. Eager to fit into the world outside the classroom, Greg became a pop culture junkie, developing an eclectic set of tastes and interests. He invented a hip sensibility in order to make himself appear more sophisticated and maintain a semblance of cool. While doing his best to be adventurous in his life, Greg has been know to make veiled references to many escapades that, in reality, he has probably only just read about.

After two years in San Francisco, Greg was craving a change of scenery and accepted a position as a DNA technician with the highly rated Las Vegas Crime Lab. He quickly became known for his wild dress code and irreverent humour, juxtaposed with intimidating skills in the lab.

As an overachiever who is always ready for a new challenge, Greg enthusiastically expressed an interest in conducting fieldwork as a CSI. Since he has been granted his wish, the sheltered academic has found the work more gruelling than he anticipated which has fostered a mutual respect between Greg and the rest of his CSI cohorts.

While his lofty IQ may sometimes make him appear overconfident, Greg is well aware that there is much more to learn. Flirtatious, audacious and sometimes a little overzealous to impress, Greg provides a much-needed levity to the tense environment at the Crime Lab. Despite their playful jabs at his outlandish style and demeanour, Grissom and the other CSIs are aware that Greg Sanders may always be on the verge of greatness.

:3

I haven't read the bios on Grissom and Sara, but if I remember correctly, Grissom mentioned in the pilot episode that he and Sara worked together in San Francisco prior to coming to Las Vegas. Would all three of them have worked together in San Francisco?

I think that Grissom left San Fran a long time ago, and I thought the same thing about Sara though, she may have been there when Greg was there. I have to read those as well..Of course I had to read Greg's first, especially after Wojo was nice enough to post that snippet. It's a great book, very well put together a lot of pics and very well done..but I have my priorities, and well, Sara and Grissom's bio's had to wait. :)

And really I swear everything it said about that character is totally what I thought..so validation! It feels good. :)
Especially the persona and the "only reading about" parts..still though, that intelligence and the personality (which I thought was also a part of his masking his sort of insecurities around others) make him just too irresistible.

Yeah! I was thinking the same thing about the San Fransico thing.. awkward... Now why would they do that?

Oh well. All of that totally makes sense.. Love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back