How many non-US peeps here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm geographically retarded. I have to actually look up all these countries cos apparently my brain's version of where they all are just doesn't want to update everytime I actually look at a map *sigh*

:D It's always great to see people from all over the world...

It will work on your computer, but you have the change the setting on Media Player ( from region 2 to 1) for it to work ... and you've got to be carefull with that because you can only change the region 5 times ...

Otherwise you can download a regionless player like VLC or an average one one the web (google regionless media player)
I did some quirky whacky thing (the process of which I can't for the life of me remember) and now I can use all regions on my laptop. It's weird - I'm happy about it, but it's still weird. I'll try and figure that out.

I think region DVDs are pointless. People move - leaving the region codes retartedly annoying.

poison girl said:
And Rtelgeuse, I have that book, just finished it last week, to be more exact, but I found it at Carrefour. Also bought there all my Dvd's. Right now is the only ny book translated.
^^Hey, I bought the Spanish translation of "Dead of Winter" like a couple of weeks ago but at the Fnac, looks like each one of us bought it in a different place lol But I haven't read it yet, I have a pile of books to read first, maybe the writers' strike will be helpful with this. ;)

Hormiga said:
Hey, I bought the Spanish translation of "Dead of Winter" like a couple of weeks ago but at the Fnac, looks like each one of us bought it in a different place lol
The closer Fnac I have is at la Cañada, in Marbella, about 100 km from here. Carrefour and El Corte Ingles are closer, but Carrefour has more shops, so if I'm driving for an hour to get there I like to spend more time shopping, that's why I bought them there.

NB, good job with the list. More people everytime ;)

Hey too all the newbies and thanks nattybatty for updating the list. Call me naive but when I bought my first dvd box set I didn't know anything about the diffrent regions and the uk and us versions and whatnot I just assumed that they were all the same. Only when I bought the second season of CSI did I realise there are huge diffrences. For one there was no commentary on the ones I bought and I love watching and listening to it. Now I'm a whole lot more careful about buying.

I learned the dvd region thing the hard way. Bought a dvd in the US i couldn't get over here, Wouldn't play on my dvd player grrr! I don't see the point in region codes...But now I'm wiser and buy my dvd's from Aussie. My csi dvd's all have commentary so :)

The missing commentary is the biggest let down for me I was going to swap them with the video store only to find out there version doesn't have commentary on it either :mad:

What's strange though is that the S1 Region 2 DVD's had several episode commentaries. Not sure if they were the same as the R1 versions though.

^Apparently to minimise piracy - that part I understand. But what I don't get is why they have to change the bonus stuff on the different region discs. The UK version has stuff missing - what? They don't think we're smart enough to understand the commentaries or something? :mad:

(Old DVD players are region free, and new branded ones (samsung, sony) sometimes you can actually take it to their respective centres and get them to make your piece a region free machine too - with a little cash that is.

Gaelen said:
^Apparently to minimise piracy - that part I understand. But what I don't get is why they have to change the bonus stuff on the different region discs. The UK version has stuff missing - what? They don't think we're smart enough to understand the commentaries or something? :mad:

I know it Canada at least for the season 2 DVD's we also don't have any commentaries. Season 3 I'm not sure, hopefully they do.

Aren't the UK dvds released earlier than the US one's? Maybe they are just not done with the commentaries or some extra stuff when they release it in the UK?

Anyways, region codes are annoying and I highly doubt that my dvd player, which is as cheap as it gets, could get changed to region free... :lol:

I watch my dvd's on the pc and luckily I haven't had any issues with it not playing certain dvd's it pretty much plays everything.
I think the whole diffrent region thing is a big dang ripoff especially when the bonus stuff fans look forward to is not available.
I mean I cried myself to sleep when I realized my dvd's didn't have the commentary for the Trapped episode :lol:

I bought S2 that had no commentries tho sayings that it didnt have many features on it... Though i didn't know if the R1 one had commentries on.

Frustrating thing is now i have s3 i want the commentries but i dont want to buy it r1 and have 2 copies because its not worth it as i already have all the episodes.

I'm sure my computer is region free but its so tempermental with dvds i never really risk it and least means i can watch downstairs on dvd player.

First, Natty txs so much for keeping that list updated...it's great to see so many fans from all over the world.

And about the different regions. I'm pretty sure that those regions were meant to keep the regions which had other release/airing dates for movies and series from bying them in the US. But nowadays, when everything is legally available on line, I think it's kinda strange that there still are different regions.

For a lot of DVD players it is pretty easy to make them region free though. The mechanics of almost all players are identical because they come from the same factories; the region is just a final adjustment before they are sent out to the region they're meant for, and can be changed (just like the voltage can be changed). Just google and try to find the solution for your player - in my case it was a simple matter of opening the disc tray, punching in a code on the remote and closing the tray again. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back