"House Of Hoarders" Discussion **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

The body was found in a different room than the books that made the impression on her head. Plus as Ray said, she didn't die instantly.

The mother was probably in a pretty messed up state by that time anyway, what with the forced clean-up, dealing (in her way) with what Alisa did, and then Diana finding the skeleton (I assume that's what she found), which could have contributed to her blocking out the body when she did come across it.

2. K-Bug

K-Bug Lab Technician

Was there any mention of Cath or why she was MIA this episode. (Besides the fact she and Lou were probably wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am-ing)....

3. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

4. waiting4summer

waiting4summer Police Officer

I don't recall any mention. Whenever I don't see a character in an episode, or they have very little screen time, I just figure that it's their day off. :)

5. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

No, no mention at all. Vartann wasn't in this episode either, so presumably they were enjoying a night off together. :)

No mention of Sara being missing last week either, so I wonder if there will be any mention next week of Cath's absence this week, or they're just hoping we won't notice characters missing for whole episodes.

At least with the one-case episodes, it's acceptable for not all of the CSIs to all be working that single case.

6. GaryBaker99

GaryBaker99 Civilian

Just watched this episode and I loved the conversation between Langston and Stokes at the end about 'being' and 'having'.

Personally I am a bit of a hoarder, I suppose? I love photos and trinkets from trips etc and having memories of past events because they bring the emotions of good times from past events and the experiences I had. This sort of goes onto the 'being' part of the Erich Fromm principle as 'being' is all about the experience you have and share with those around you at the time.

I don't like to hoard things that bring bad memories. I enjoy reliving the good moments of the past and also living good experiences.

A funny thing is though when I have the free time and I'm not necessarily living a moment, or 'being', I generally waste time doing things online, or playing games, watching TV. Some form of entertainment at home, mainly as a time waster. Some of my time wasting activities turn into experiences of 'being'.

Is hoarding all about reliving past memories or is it more than that?

Is 'being' just going out and doing things or is 'being' as simple as getting out of bed and brushing your teeth?

What's to say that 'being' and 'hoarding' are the only two ways to live? We're always 'being' something aren't we? Hoarding is just something we're being but we can be an infinite amount of other things.

Is hoarding seen as a bad thing? Why? If we had unlimited space for all possessions we had to store would be seen a different way?

Is hoarding limited to physical objects? Aren't all the thoughts in our heads considered hoarding if we wish to draw from them at some point in the future?

If we are being and being isn't a state of time it's a state of now we never have any recollection of what we've done in the past, even if it was yesterday, an hour ago or even 10 seconds ago. We just 'be'.

The brain hoards. It has to so it's able to make us function.

What is hoarding and what is being? I am confused.

7. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Ugh! My review was lost! :wtf::scream: So now I'll just keep it a little bit shorter.

I like the episode. It was gross, fun, and interesting. The writer did a great job incorporating a serious concept into an enjoyable episode. Lots of funny scenes especially that when Mrs. Santiago shouted at Nick! :guffaw: Also, I laughed when Nick stepped on the decomposing body! It was pretty rude when Sara walked-out of Langston but it was funny too! :lol: I like the last scene between Ray and Nick. For me it was much better than last week's controversial hour glass lecture. It was a very smart and natural conversation.

I missed Marg/Catherine only a little bit because I know she's still coming back. No worries... for now. I wish she was in the episode so that I could see the old CSI members worked on a single case.

8. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

A lot of people probably watched this ep and made resolutions to declutter immediately...me I watched this and thought "cool! I'm nowhere near as bad as *that*!!"
    (one of the reasons I love watching Supernanny is that it's proof that there's more badly behaved kids around than the ones in my family ;-)

9. byline

byline CSI Level One

In fairness, wasn't the point Ray made about "being" and "having"? Having isn't necessarily the same thing as hoarding, but it seems that hoarding is an inevitable reaction (albeit one based on specific mental disorders) to living in a materialistic, consumer-driven society. A society focused more on people and their social interactions, less on inanimate things, would seem less likely to trigger hoarding behaviors.

I forget where I heard/read this, but not so long ago, "consumption" had primarily negative connotations. It's only in recent years that we've made it into the most desired way to be.

10. A. FineLabrats

A. FineLabrats Rookie

:wtf: I don't know if I've heard anyone using consumption as a positive thing. I've only ever heard it used negatively -- overconsumption, the problem of consumption, consumption society...

11. GaryBaker99

GaryBaker99 Civilian

True, I got caught up in the episode about hoarding when I should have been saying 'having' (and 'being').

It's kind of like 'giving' and 'receiving'. Most would agree that living a life where you give more than you receive is a better way of living. Not necessarily giving possessions but giving help, talking to people, engaging in conversations rather than (for example) being a lurker on a forum taking information, not participating in conversation.

There are times in my life where I feel I take in so much information it overloads me which causes a negative feeling and it's not until I release all the information I've contained into some form (like a blog/forum post/tell someone or produce something with the knowledge taken in) where it starts to make me feel better again. But then we're adding to the problem of 'having' (or hoarding) if people continue to 'produce' stuff. I guess you just need to have the balance.

Haha, what a great thought provoking episode anyway. So many different things going on in my head from watching it (and as you can probably tell from my posts) After it I started reading up a lot about the psychologist mentioned - Erich Fromm. Good stuff.

12. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I don't know if this has been posted yet but if it has then enjoy it again...

There is a behind the scenes video (which aired on the Insider) on this ep on Eric Szmanda web, with an interview with George, Jorja, and Eric. http://eric-szmanda.net/

13. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Okay, I've been thinking about this change in Nick's character for this episode (my opinion...I think he USED to act this way but doesn't anymore) and how, as someone suggested, it might be part of him dealing with things throughout this season as we heard in spoilers that he might be doing.

I think a more appropriate and realistic thing to do would have been when the shotgun went off and they were laughing about it, I think it would have scared him and then ticked him off and he would have yelled at Greg to be more careful, leaving Sara and Greg to exchange "What's with him?" glances about that rather than about him going on about the woman being a killer.

To be honest, that's the first thing I thought of when the gun went off...that it would be a trigger (no pun intended) for Nick after having been shot.

14. agneskenya

agneskenya Victim

ok, I just got to watch the ep.

I really liked it, but i'd like to focus more on the Nick/Sara part here.

I do like Nick, but in my eyes, he has ALWAYS been scared/uncomfortable with things he doesn't quite understand: he has limitations when he deals with people who have either physical or mental handicaps.
    Yes, Grissom always corrected him. But this has never been enough. He doesn't act like himself around things like that, he can't seem to stay objective or scientific, because his emotions take the best of him in those moments.

Sara does understand because of her personal experience (her father did beat his mother up: there's an ep with a guy who rapes and kills his wife and she has a fight with Catherine about it). She's more open minded on these kinds of things, BUT she has a way to give excuses because of it, which is not necessarily the best way to go either. At least, she is able to empathize in those specific situations, but Nick doesn't: he gets scared instead.

To me, he was what I've seen him be in lots of eps dealing with physical/mental issues. In those moments, he disappoints me, but I know that the guy who cares is still there somewhere (see the ep where he fought with a cop because a 14 year old kid had confessed to murdering his kid brother, and he still wanted to investigate fully: in this case, he empathized)

15. Gremine

Gremine Rookie

Hoarding is an interesting subject and then they found bodies of course. More bodies... Hmm more bodies... Very creative idea! :p Whatever...

I am not a Sara angst fan. This time it didn't bother me a lot because it was balanced. I had fun watching the Greg-Nick-Sara trio working together as always. Sara was empathetic because of her past issues. Nick was opposite because probably he is still recovering emotionally? Greg was neutral because he know both very well and he just didn't want to take a side but just tried to understand ? I think so.

Also i think... is it possible i am a future hoarder or a cat woman? Why Greg seems so cool and hot? Where did i see the shrink actrees before?

:lol: