Hockey Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, it's catch up time.
Friday the Rangers lost to Buffalo 2-1 in a shootout. Paul Mara scored the only Rangers goal with Orr and Sjostrom with the assists. Overall, well played game by Valiquette in goal.
I just think it's a little weird that they let Chris Drury have an attempt in the shootout. :confused: It's not that he doesn't have any more or less points than other players, it just seemed a bit, shall I say, awkward to me?
Brilliant game by the Sabres goalie though, must give him credit for that.
The Rangers also played a completely penalty free game which I guess is a good thing.

Anywho, the Rangers won 2-0 against Ottawa tonight. Dubinsky registered the first goal with Korpikoski and Prucha on assists, and the second Ranger to tickle the twine was Korpikoski with Zherdev and Kalinin on the assists. This also continues my point that I like Korpikoski because something good almost always happens when he's on the ice, so more time for this kid!
Lundqvist was in the net again tonight and therefore gets his second shutout of the season. :)
Rangers continue a 5 game road trip, playing the Islanders on Tuesday.

It was announced today that former Ranger Brendan Shanahan has unoffically signed with the New Jersey Devils. Shanahan was drafted by the Devils 20(?) years ago, and has played the last 2 years for the Rangers. He has a total of 650 goals scored, which is the 11th highest in NHL history. For the record, I was holding out for you Shanny, I really was. :( Now whenever I hear "Brendan Shanahan is one of the deadliest shots in the league.." somehow it won't be quite as funny.

And, Improved Bergeron vows to return this season :thumbsup:

"I'm very confident I'll play this year," Bergeron said. "It's a matter of when. That's why I don't want to put on a date on it and get disappointed like I was last year in the playoffs. I've learned from that. So yes, I do think I'll be back."

I love Patrice, he's my non-Rangers man, so I hope that he does make it back for at least a little bit of this season. :luvlove:

Last edited:
I'll just continue on with the news................

Rangers beat Ottawa Sens!

NYR 2 - 0 Sens

Brandon Dubinsky had gone more than a month since his last goal. Once
he gave the New York Rangers the early lead, Henrik Lundqvist took care of the rest.

"It's been a struggle for me to score goals," said Dubinsky, who hadn't had one since Nov. 24. "I've had chances and felt like I was playing well and making good shots but they weren't going in for me.

"To have a gift like that is nice. Hopefully the floodgates will open and they'll start going in a little more now."

Dubinsky who scored the first goal when a rebound bounced off Korpikoski's chest right to him at the side of the net. Dubinsky swatted the puck past Elliott at 15:09.

Ludqvist stopped all 33/33 goals last night, leaving the rest of the work for his team. Which turned out quite nicely for the Rangers.

SpeedyMeg25 said:
Shanahan was drafted by the Devils 20(?) years ago, and has played the last 2 years for the Rangers. He has a total of 650 goals scored, which is the 11th highest in NHL history.

Him and Jaromir Jagr are close in their goal totals in the NHL.:thumbsup:

In Other Hockey News..........

Speaking of Jagr........ It is rumoured that he wants to comeback to

Pittsburgh Penguins.

In a recent telephone interview, Jagr claimed "I was thinking about it
and if Mario would call me and say, 'I'd like you to play for our
team,' I would think about it a lot," and he continued......

"I would play for the minimum salary. I would play for
$350,000 just for him because I owe him my hockey life. I want to
pay him back because he has made me what I am ... besides my
parents."

It is time to stop booing Jagr and to embrace him for the player he was in Pittsburgh. He gave the city and the league many magical moments and thrived in the Igloo lights. Now Jagr is giving us a chance to see this magic one last time. He would be the shot in the arm the Penguins need to cure what ails them. He is still a danger on the ice and proved in last year's playoffs against the Penguins that he alone can take over a game. If he is being serious, then he deserves a phone call from Mario.

Source: http://getmethebrandy.com/2009/01/bring-back-jagr-why-not-mario-too.html

As good as Jagr was for Pittsburgh, I doubt that there would be room for him with Sidney Crosby.
Who with out a doubt would not want to share the spotlight with Jagr. This also happened with the New
York Rangers in 2007. The team had two big names in the team and that over shadowed the other (younger)players on the team who were talented and wanted to be recognized for their talents, and ability to score all important goals.

Whether Pens actually choose to pick up Jagr or not - there is a lot that they should consider..........

Related News Link: Jaromir Jagr's team wins KHL All-Star game ....
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=505702

Onwards............

Cathching up with the Vancouver Canucks last night.

"Mats Sundin and the Vancouver Canucks rebounded from a poor outing against the St. Luois Blues Friday pouring everything but hot oil on the San Jose goal, but couldn’t find the key to goalie Brian Boucher’s kitchen."

Watching the game last night......there were a good 3 on 1 (with the goalie) plays with H. Sedin, Danny Sedin and Mats Sundin. However their ability to put one over Boucher, were not as good.

"Sundin scored his first goal in his third game with the Canucks, but for the second straight night was in the penalty box when the winning goal was scored. Sundin, who was serving a slashing penalty when St. Louis went ahead with 2:10 left Friday night, was off for high-sticking when Marleau scored."

"Daniel Sedin also scored for the Canucks, who fell to 1-2-2 in their last five games and have now dropped three straight on home ice. Vancouver outshot the Sharks 24-17 through 40 minutes, but only got two on net in the third period."

Though Canucks did not win, there were a lot of good things that came out of that game. Canucks got their penalty kills and assists. And some got the highlight of the game.

Last edited:
I think we just covered the entire world of Rangers and former-Rangers hockey in two posts :lol:

On the topic of Jaromir Jagr:

If I was Mario, I would be on that phone right now signing Jagr up. With the recent *ahem* loses the Penguins have been facing, I'd be willing to bet that they would take anyone right about now. Jagr has clearly demonstrated in the past and even now that he is still a force to be reckoned with on the ice. Especially if he's willing to play for much less money than your "star" players.

And as much as I love Sidney Crosby, I say to him "it's time to share the spotlight".
Ok sure, they've got Evgeni Malkin, but as of late neither he nor Crosby have really been performing up to par. I think that the Pens could use Jagr to boost their morale and hopefully get some wins and points. That would at least shine a positive spotlight back onto the team.

Someone on something I was reading brought up the fact that Jagr would be turning 37 (I think) on his next birthday. So what?
If Mats Sundin and Shanahan can be resigned at their ages, then so can Jaromir.

Last edited:
^^ Agreed.

It would be interesting to see the development on this story. Especially Sidney's reaction, and the teams too.

Also, age is not a major obstacle, only where contracts are concerned.They can sign for aprox. 1-2 years depending on the age of the player, and not 6 years. And of course health, hockey can leave at times severe injuries that don't get better with age.

But the coaches have to look after the team, how it looks, the benefits of bringing inin guys like Jagr, Mats Sundin or anyone else into to the locker room. I agree with you - Pens would benefit - its up to coaches to make the final call.

So far there is no mention of this story on the Pens official page. Assuming that they deal with it internally, and we'll be the last to know.LOL:lol:

Yeah I don't really think that his age will be a factor. As long as he's playing his hardest and giving 100%, you can't really ask for more. I'd say the Penguins won't mention anything about it until they are absolutely certain that Jagr is being serious.

Okay, now it's time for 20 questions.
There is a chance that I might (huge emphasis on might) be going to the Rangers-Penguins game in Pittsburgh next Sunday. If not, I'm watching it on TV and crying the entire time. :shifty:

But:
1) What would be considered "normal" prices for tickets?
I want to make sure that I am getting a decent deal out of this.
If this means anything, they are Section A11, Row B, Seats 1 and 2.
What would constitue a good price, because I have no idea at all. :confused:

2) I'm looking at the row that the seat is located in, it says "B". Are they meaning B as in Ice - Glass Wall - Row A - Row B - Row C - etc until the end of the section or do they mean B as in End of section - Row A - Row B - Row C - etc until the ice? If that makes any sense...

Cause if it's the first way, I'm buying those tickets. :lol:
Then I just have to find someone to go with me that my parents will approve of letting me go with. :scream:
Which so far consists of one person who can't go and one person who won't tell me when she wants to go.

Oh Shanahan.
Maybe him and Jagr planned this whole "return to the NHL" thing together.
That, or one of them can't let the other score more goals and beat their record.

Thrashers name Kovalchuk team captain

Monday, 01.12.2009 / 5:00 PM / News
The Atlanta Thrashers have named forward Ilya Kovalchuk as the team captain, according to Executive Vice President and General Manager Don Waddell. Kovalchuk, who has served as an alternate captain for the last two seasons, becomes the seventh captain in team history and only the fifth Russian-born and trained player in league history to achieve this honor (Alexei Zhamnov, Pavel Bure, Alexei Yashin, Alexander Mogilny).
The organization elected to go without a captain for the first half of the season, utilizing five alternate captains (Kovalchuk, Colby Armstrong, Niclas Havelid, Slava Kozlov and Mathieu Schneider).

“Ilya has earned the opportunity to take a larger leadership role on this team and has grown into this position over his six-plus seasons as a member of the Thrashers,” said Waddell. “We’re very pleased, and excited for Ilya, that his fellow alternate captains approached us and felt he should be given the responsibility at this time. We’re confident that he’ll embrace it and represent the organization and his teammates appropriately.”

Kovalchuk, 25, was selected by the Thrashers first overall in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft and is the all-time franchise leader in games played (508), points (508), goals (269), assists (239), game-winning goals (33) and power play goals (98).

-----
I had thought that Kovalchuk already was the captain of the Thrashers, so I felt pretty stupid after I read this. Shows you what I know doesn't it?

-----
The Calgary Flames are mourning the loss of one of the hockey club's original owners. Daryl K. Doc Seaman, passed away on Sunday. He was 86.
Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

And just so you know, I learned that Row B is in fact the second row behind the glass :)

Oh man! A hockey thread! I can't believe it took so long to discover it! SpeedyMeg, I am soo jealous if you actually get to go to the game. I live in DC, but my bro and I keep trying to find ways to go to a Pens game that's actually at Mellon Arena, but never actually make it work. If you actually get to go to a home game, you have to take some pics to bring back to this thread ;) Are there other Pittsburgh fans here?

Me! Me!
Go Pens!
Wooo!
Yay!

Those Rangers fans have taken over the thread but don't mind them... and especially their cheer for Lundqvist :p

But I am very, very happy that... wait..wait..from what team are the top 2 players in .. meh, what ya call that in ENglish? ALl the points? Uh yes, Crosby and Malkin :p
I have to say... even Crosby is very, very talented... he's somehow... arrogant and irritating :p

I haven't had chance to see NHL games this season, but I am happy to see that Canadiens do well :)I hope they continue that in playoffs as well.

Hmm.. and I have missed for some reason why older Koivu is out - injury again?

Welcome to the hockey thread - happyharper13d !:thumbsup:

Join our humble hockey club.

DaWacko, This thread became a New York Rangers thread because

certain *ahem* hockey fans are not participating, including the person

who started this thread.

DaWacko said:
he's somehow... arrogant and irritating
No offence....but thats why very few ppl like him, no matter how good he is on ice.

As for the Rangers - Well, we flopped to a 5th spot in the Eastern Conference with 54 points. However, I

think this team is doing very well. They are improving every game. And in recent interviews they are ready to

take on the New York Islanders tonight. ``Its all about small details, and little mistakes that we have to

improve`` said one player. I wish them luck tonight! LETS GO RANGERS!

One more thing.......of Lundqvist ..........from the official NYR page :

Lundqvist New Garden of Dreams Spokesman

Rangers goaltender embraces charity that reaches out to kids in crisis

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=403873

Last edited:
Welcome to all of the fun happyharper! :lol:
I hope that I get to go to the game too, but as of right now it's not looking so good :(
I can't find anyone else who's willing to go, which is crazy! Who wouldn't want to go?

Lundqvist new Garden of Dreams spokesman
Rangers goaltender embraces charity that reaches out to kids in crisis

New York Rangers Jan 13, 2009, 11:12 AM EST
Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist, the new spokesperson for the Garden of Dreams Foundation, said he has "seen firsthand the unforgettable and impactful events that Garden of Dreams creates."

The Garden of Dreams Foundation, the non-profit charity that works closely with all areas of Madison Square Garden to make dreams come true for kids in crisis, has named New York Rangers All-Star goalie Henrik Lundqvist as its spokesperson. In this role, Lundqvist will serve as the face of Garden of Dreams, host children at Rangers games, conduct special events such as skating parties at the MSG Training Center, and participate in public service messages.

In the two years since its establishment, Garden of Dreams has partnered with a diverse collection of children’s related organizations, including hospitals, foster organizations, homeless shelters, and “wish” organizations to develop unique events and activities - often involving unprecedented access to Madison Square Garden celebrities, events and venues - to brighten the lives of thousands of special children and their families.

“The Garden of Dreams Foundation has a simple, yet heroic purpose: to use the power and magic of Madison Square Garden to make dreams come true for kids in crisis and Henrik Lundqvist embodies the characteristics of what our foundation is all about,” said Hank J. Ratner, chairman, Garden of Dreams. “Henrik’s passion, inspiration and commitment for helping New York kids in crisis make him the ideal match for our foundation, which looks to expand its extraordinary breadth and create unique experiences for even more children in the future.”

“I have seen firsthand the unforgettable and impactful events that Garden of Dreams creates and it is truly an honor to have been chosen to represent the Foundation and the incredible work it does with Madison Square Garden in helping children,” stated Lundqvist. “Community outreach is very important to me and I am excited about this new role which I hope will focus more attention on the efforts being made to bring joy and one-of-a-kind memories to so many children facing enormous hardships. I am also looking forward to spending time with the children I have met through Garden of Dreams.”

- - Frankly, I couldn't imagine anyone better for the job :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You know despite of what people say, I think he should be the winner of

The Vezina Trophy 2009. Between being a tough goalie to play against

between the pipes and the charity work, and other things.....

Thanks for the welcomes ;) I can handle a forum that's dominated by Rangers fans. If Flyers fans take over though... :wtf:

The stuff I've heard about Crosby has always been pretty mixed (though I'm sure that part of that has to do with the obvious pro-all-things-Penguins bias of most of my sources). I used to pay a lot more attention to hockey, and the Pens in particular, but haven't so much this year, which also might be a factor. And no matter how cocky Crosby gets, Mario (a.k.a. God) pretty much makes up for it. He's such a class act, and 100% of the reason my brother and I became Pens fans (we live in Caps territory).

Oh Mario Lemieux...
Always loved that man, always will. Great player on and off the ice.

I always seem to get mixed reactions on the subject of Crosby too. Some people believe he's the best player ever, others hate him with a burning passion, and then there's a whole group who only comment to say "He's so hot!" I like him and think he's a very talented player (and decent looking ;) ) but I don't necessarily think that he's always the best one out there. There's so many other great players on the Penguins who I don't feel get the recognition they deserve being under Crosby's shadow. But that's just my opinion.
I mean, all the players have greatness in them or else they wouldn't be playing in the NHL.

Anyways, the Rangers won another game
:beer:
2-1 over the Islanders, with Drury and Dawes with a goal each and Gomez and Callahan with an assist each. Lundqvist stopped thirty four of thirty five shots to help the Rangers keep off the Islanders.

"After allowing a first-period goal, the Rangers got their defensive game back in order and went on to a hard-fought 2-1 win over the Islanders Tuesday night at the Nassau Coliseum. With the win, the Blueshirts were poised to regain the division lead"

Dawes was named 1st star of the game, with Lundqvist in as 2nd star, and Drury named as the 3rd star.

I'm so glad that the Rangers have started actually winning games again :lol:

Last edited:
New York Rangers beat New York Islanders

2 - 1

First period Rangers held on......good control neutral zone, and the
densive zone, Good movement of the puck

They were really attacking the islandrs, and controlling the puck, but their shots were denied, time in time again.

Good play by Brandon Dubinsky, who assited in several plays during the game.

"Lundqvist had made a string of excellent stops just prior to Campoli’s score, and was the Rangers’ best player on the ice in the first period. He made huge saves on Mike Comrie’s rebound attempt from the doorstep at 14:08 and Jeff Tambellini’s tip from in-close at 15:28, among his best of the night."

"The Rangers settled down and played a much tighter defensive game in the second period, which set the stage for the goals by Drury and Dawes that gave the visitors the 2-1 advantage which they carried into the second intermission. In fact, the early portion of the middle stanza featured both teams playing sound defense and blocking numerous shots and passes. Redden and Girardi, in particular, stood out in this area for the Rangers."

Marc Staal who celebrates his 22nd birthday today,was shaken up after a big hit. But he returned without missing a shift. A birthday and win - what a day! Happy Birthday Marc!:thumbsup:

CHEEERS!!!!!:beer::beer::beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back