Hockey Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok New York Hockey fans. Let's take it easy on the 'chating' that to me appears to be going on here. I don't mind the scores and games being updated and the occasional fun being had but lets not get carried away :)

^ Sorry :)
I have some seriously messed up internet service that runs at snail speed about 90% of the time, so it's easier and faster to just spend 20 minutes on here waiting for it to post a reply then it is to spend the hour trying to get it to send a message.
I'll be better though, I promise ;)

So how about this: they announced the lineups for the All Star Game.

Playing for the East is: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Alexei Kovalev, Andrei Markov, Mike Komisarek, and Carey Price.

For the West is: Ryan Getzlaf, Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, Brain Campell, Scott Niedermayer, and Jean-Sebastian Giguere

I'm not real suprised about the results actually, minus the fact that I figured Roberto Luongo would be in the West's goal. Seems like it's going to be a Pens-Canadiens vs. Blackhawks game. :)

I think that the game started out with a good concept, but it's kind of turned into a "let's see what team gets most votes" instead of votes for the individual players. I mean, isn't the game supposed to be set up so that players are on the team with those whom they would never normally play with? :confused:

I suggest that they keep voting the same way, but then they institute some sort of lottery system that splits the players up, mixing East and West. That way there might be two players together from the same team, but not four or five of them. I think you'd definetely get a greater diversity in your teams that way, and frankly, it would probably make the game more exciting.

The problem is that the teams couldn't be named East or West, so they'd have to come up with something to else to call them.

Last edited:
^^ Well good luck to them with that. I hope they don't confuse players:lol:

So, Rangers are playing against Pens tonight. I hope that this the game where things get turned around. And the plays gets better - especially with the keeping the puck and attacking.

"The Rangers, coming off Saturday’s well-played 2-1 loss in Washington, are 1-3-1 in their last five matches. The Penguins, who were rocked 6-1 by the Panthers on Saturday afternoon, have lost four straight games and six of their last eight.

As a result, the Rangers have fallen into second place in the division and fifth in the conference with 49 points, while the Penguins are now outside the playoff picture at fourth in the division and ninth in the conference with 42 points."

I guess both teams will desperate tonight,for points they will need to stay in the game, and hold any chance of playing for the Stanley Cup. Good Luck!

Also, I hope Orr gets a fight with the Sid Kid - that would be a game worth watchin'! LETS GO RANGERS!

Yeah, my All Star thing isn't the best of ideas once you stop to think about it....
:)

So, I have officially titled tonight's Rangers - Penguins game "Night of the Mostly Unheardof Scorers".
First of all, the Rangers dominated 4-0.
Then, who would've ever thought that Dawes, Mara, Drury, and Gomez would all score our goals, let alone during the same game? Dawes is a little more believable, but the other three, amazing! This was also Dawes' 100th NHL game, so congrats Nigel!
And Mr. Lundqvist gets his first shutout of the season. ;)
Overall, perfect game. We won thanks to some unlikely scorers and Pittsburgh didn't score at all (sorry :) )

And you got your Orr fight, although not with Sid.
This win also puts New York back in first place in the Atlantic Division, according to Yahoo anyway.
Let's hope the Rangers pull the same stunt when they play the Pens again in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I need to wave my
Canada.gif
and say congrats to the Junior Canadian Hockey Team. They won their gold Medal game defeating Sweden 5-1 last night. This is the teams 5th straight gold medal. So
congratulations.gif
guys a job well done.

CHEERS TO NEW YORK RANGERS!!!!!!!:beer::beer::beer:

Last night was the BEST game they played ever!!!!

Nigel Dawes, Paul Mara, Chris Drury, and Scott Gomez all recorded a goal and an assist for the Rangers. Michal Rozsival contributed a pair of assists.

And YES, no one expected for things to go the way they did - BUT thats why they call it teamwork.

"Fredrik Sjostrom nearly put the dagger through Pittsburgh’s heart with four seconds remaining on the clock in the second. Sjostrom burst past a Pittsburgh defenseman on a shorthanded rush and whipped a snap shot towards the net that required a big-time save by Fleury."

There were a few 3 on 1 player plays for Rangers - with Gomer, Naslund, Mara. Rangers literally took over starting from the first period.

Colton Orr did not get to fight Sid Kid (like I secretly wish he had) he did engage Pittsburgh heavyweight Eric Godard with 2:46 remaining in the match. I got to see that fight in the highlights on Sportsnet - Let me tell ya when Orr fights you won't be diappointed. He threw a few good punches before both players were knocked down on the ground. Fight was quickly resolved with the referees stepping in.

"Henrik Lundqvist, who was sensational in the early stages of the game, made 27 saves for his first shutout of the season and 18th of his NHL career. Lundqvist is now 12-1-1 in 14 regular season outings at MSG against the Penguins. Monday night marked his second career shutout vs. the Pens."

Now, this took me by surprise. With recent information of Henrik Lundqvist being ill, I was certain he will be replaced by Stephen Valiquette. Earlier that day I watched Rangers practice at MSG for the big game, I wasnt sure who was behind the mask in practice, but I had a hunch, watching the moves that it really was him afterall. Good have him back! He was on top of his game last night, stopping every move Pens were dishing out.The crowd was all CHEERS for Henrik.

P.S.

Congratulations to the Canadian team in Junior Championships, in win over Sweden.

I need to wave my
Canada.gif
and say congrats to the Junior Canadian Hockey Team. They won their gold Medal game defeating Sweden 5-1 last night. This is the teams 5th straight gold medal. So
congratulations.gif
guys a job well done.

Erm.. has some other country won (it was U18 right?) that sometimes? :lol:

I remember we've got gold in U20 sometime... when OJ and Mikko Koivu played there.... oh those were the times :D

First Half a Major Success for Blueshirts

Team has more wins through 41 games than in any year since 1996

Just how good have the New York Rangers been this season?

Consider this:

With Monday night's 4-0 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins at MSG, the Rangers completed the first half of the 2008-09 season with the most points since 2005-06 and the most victories since 1995-96.

Since the 82-game schedule became an NHL standard prior to the 1995-96 season, the 24-14-3 Blueshirts have seen their best overall first half in 13 years. Their 51 points matches the total of the 2005-06 season, when Jaromir Jagr broke all of the team's major single-season scoring records. Their 24 wins are the most since the 1995-96 Rangers jumped out to a 25-10-6 record over the first half.

In addition, the Rangers completed their fourth straight first half with at least 20 wins. Discounting a lockout-shortened 1995 season, that's the longest stretch since the Blueshirts finished the first half with 20 or more victories in six consecutive seasons from 1990-91 to 1996-97.

That six-season stretch, however, included two years of an 84-game schedule, and in 1992-93, the Rangers did not get their 20th victory until their 42nd game. Through 41 games, the Rangers have not had 20 or more wins in four consecutive seasons since a five-season run from 1968-69 to 1972-73.

In fairness to history, however, it should be noted that victories accumulated in shootouts this season would have been ties prior to 2005, and all overtime victories would have been ties prior to 1983. Nevertheless, a win is a win, and NHL record-keeping makes no adjustment or exception for the way in which a victory is attained.

Year 41-Game Record Points Year-end Total

1995-96 25-10-6 56 96 points

2008-09 24-14-3 51 TBD

2005-06 22-12-7 51 100 points

2001-02 22-14-5 49 80 points

1996-97 20-16-5 45 86 points

2007-08 20-17-4 44 97 points

Last edited:
Glad to see that the Rangers are doing well overall this year. :)

However, they did not do too well tonight with a 6-3 loss to the Canadiens.
But 9 different members of the Rangers - Drury, Dawes, Prucha, Callahan, Gomez, Kalinin, Rozsival, Zherdev, and Naslund - all added a point to their totals.
Oh well, what can ya do about it?

In other news, Mats Sundin plays in his first game with the Vancouver Canucks tonight. We will have to wait and see how that turns out for them. As of me writing this, it's a scoreless game.

Also:
"Patrice Bergeron is slowly working his way back from his second concussion in 14 months. His progress is giving the Boston Bruins hope he will return this season.

Bergeron returned from last season’s severe concussion and was playing well until getting concussed again Dec. 20. The latest injury was nowhere near as bad as the one he suffered in 2007 on a hit from behind.

Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli tells the Boston Herald Bergeron is improving daily."

So I'm happy that Patrice is getting better, and I hope that he gets to play a little bit more this season. :luvlove:

Yep, seems like Rangers seem to have a Big high followed by a Big low. The same pattern happened last year. However, they are in much better shape this year than last year. Not to mention they won their road trip games -which is a great way to kick off the season. I think Rangers fans have every reason to hope for success. LETS GO RANGERS!

P.S
David Letterman was at that game. Front row. He must of been really upset after Rangers lost:lol:.

The Mats Sundin mania continues......It seems like everyone is excited for him join the Canucks, even the media is around em' 24/7. Except for Sundin ????! Maybe he is - but he certainly doesn't show it........:lol:
He's going to keep his poker face, and let world wonder...meanwhile they watch. :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

The coach kept Sundin for 15.02 min in the game which is unsual for someone who starts mid-season.
Not to mention that players on this team don't stay on ice that long! Despite of the slow start....Canucks won.

Yeah the Rangers sort of have this deal going where they win a few, but then they lose a few, they win a few, they lose a few. It's a never ending cycle.
Well, I at least want the Rangers to make it to the finals so I can get a shirt that says "Eastern Conference Champions" so that I can brag to my neighbor who has a Pittsburgh one from last year. :lol:

Lundqvist Headed to NHL All-Star Game

"After four seasons of being a top goaltender in the NHL, Henrik Lundqvist is now officially an All-Star. Lundqvist was one of 15 players added to the All-Star roster on Thursday and is the first Rangers goalie to make it since Mike Richter in 2000. "

Obviously the reserves were named today, so in addition to all of the starters previously mentioned,
The East will have -

Jeff Carter, Dany Heatley, Ilya Kovalchuk, Vincent Lecavalier, Alex Ovechkin, Zach Parise, Marc Savard, Eric Stall, Thomas Vanek, Jay Bouwmeester, Zdeno Chara, Tomas Kaberle, Mark Streit, Lundqvist, and Tim Thomas

And the West will have -

Dustin Brown, Pavel Datsyuk, Shane Doan, Milan Hejduk, Jarome Iginla, Mike Modano, Rick Nash, Joe Thornton, Keith Tkachuk, Dan Boyle, Nicklas Lidstrom, Sheldon Souray, Shea Weber, Niklas Backstrom, and Roberto Luongo

Seems to me like there are some names in that bunch who should really be the starters...
But that's what you get when you let the fans vote I suppose :rolleyes:

Congratulations Henrik!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great news. He does belong to an all star game being an all star goalie *Wink*. A lot of fans at NHL Connect agreed that he should be there......but then again its a matter of votes. Henrik got a big fan base -he got really lucky.

PAGE SIX MAGAZINE

(Full Article)

Henrik Lundqvist: The World's Sexiest Ice Man

Sean Avery hogged the Rangers' spotlight last year, but now it's goalie Henrik Lundqvist's turn. With his killer saves and the ability to bounce back from frustration, he's poised to capture one of the NHL's top honors. And with his dashing sartorial sense and sex appeal, he's already caught the eyes of the city's fashionistas.

It's like a scene from a Rat Pack movie. A guy stands in front of the airport terminal–size window of Stone Rose, the Time Warner Center's swank watering hole, grasping a tumbler. He's clad in a dark, slim-cut suit and skinny silver tie, and his looks are of the old-fashioned, "they don't make them like that anymore" heartthrob variety. Behind him, a dramatically lit statue of Christopher Columbus looms over Columbus Circle, almost as if it's his shadow. A gaggle of giggling blondes catches his attention for a brief chat, and then he's off to pose for a photo and shake some hands. As this man's man cuts through the darkened room, his movements are smooth, graceful, confident—like he's gliding on ice. But what else would you expect from New York City's hottest hockey player, the impossibly cool and surprisingly dashing goalie Henrik Lundqvist?
Despite the loss of a few key players, an unusual amount of shoot-out victories and some low-scoring games, the Rangers are at the top of their conference division—a feat that can be attributed to Henrik's clutch heroics. "Everyone from the players to the coaches knows that if it goes to a shoot-out, Henrik will come out on top," says Kenny Albert, the voice of Rangers Radio. "This season is the first year without Jaromir Jagr and Brendan Shanahan [who both left in the past year] and other high scorers. The team is more reliant on their defense—and that means Henrik."

And when Henrik makes a mistake, he fixes the problem quickly. In December, he played the worst game of his career, allowing eight goals against the New Jersey Devils. The next night he wowed fans by stopping all five shoot-out tries in a game against the Carolina Hurricanes. "Everyone has horrible games, but he immediately went back in and played to get it out of his system," Kenny says. Arguably the top goalie in the NHL, the easy-on-the-eyes Swede has become the darling of the Rangers, which, perhaps not coincidentally, has sold out 140 consecutive games since he joined the team in 2005.

Last year, the Rangers' season was a tabloid whirlwind dominated by the off-ice antics of left-wing and professional agitator Sean Avery, who interned at Vogue, was linked to a slew of starlets (including Mary-Kate Olsen and Elisha Cuthbert) and talked smack about pretty much everyone who crossed his path. But Sean's gone—picked up by the Dallas Stars, from which he was just dismissed after mocking Calgary's Dion Phaneuf for dating his "sloppy seconds" (Elisha).

Unlike his former teammate, 26-year-old Henrik is a gentleman who is beloved by teammates and fans alike. And, it should be noted, at 6´1˝ and a trim 195 pounds, he just happens to wear a suit better than the stocky Sean. "He's good at meeting people and getting his face out there," Henrik says of the league's villain, with a playful eye roll. "Sean's one of a kind." And while the goalie may not talk badly about other players, even he couldn't resist busting Sean's chops in a little sartorial competition. Henrik's fraternal twin brother, Joel, is a center in Dallas, and "when Page Six Magazine put me on its Top 25 Best Dressed list [September 2008] with the caption, 'Sean who?' I gave it to my brother to put in Sean's stall in the locker room," says Henrik with a mischievous grin. "Sean didn't think it was very funny."

Henrik might get the last laugh once again this spring, when the winner of the Vezina Trophy—the league's top prize for goalies—is announced. Right now, he's the No. 1 contender. "He's one of the very best out there," says E.J. Hradek, a senior writer at ESPN The Magazine, who covers the NHL. "He's always been a great goalie and immediately connected with fans, but with Jagr and Avery gone, there's more room for his star to shine." Adds teammate Fredrik Sjostrom, who has known Henrik since their school days in Sweden, "He hasn't changed as a person, but as a player, he's a superstar now."

Born in Are, Sweden, to a physical therapist mother and a father who was a tourism director, as a child Henrik excelled not only at hockey, but was also a competitive skier. He played hockey professionally in Sweden for five years with Frölunda HC, winning a national goaltender of the year award three times before getting called to join the Rangers three years ago as a backup goalie. "I had good training in Sweden, and I knew that I had a lot of hard work to do before I could play here," he says. It paid off—Henrik won the starting position within a matter of weeks. "He was so good and charismatic in an understated way," says New York Post sportswriter Larry Brooks, who coined the nickname "King Henrik" after the rookie had played just four games. "He created a sensation quickly." It's a sentiment echoed by his fellow Rangers. "You get pretty spoiled playing with a guy like Henrik—he can make 10 tough saves in a row," says Scott Gomez, a Rangers' center. "He's a really happy-go-lucky guy, but when he gets on the ice, he's intense."

Henrik may look like a cool cat, but he admits, "Winning is everything to me, so when it comes to game day, I don't like to talk much. I get angry easily. If I have a bad game, people stay away." He's been known to throw things and break sticks. He's also had his share of bruises, and once broke his jaw while playing a game in Russia in 2001. Though barely able to eat, he opted to wait a whole week for treatment, until he returned to Sweden. "We were in the middle of Russia," Henrik shrugs by way of explanation. Remarkably, while many other hockey players sport scars, he's suffered few serious injuries. "That's the great part about being a goalie. We have masks protecting our faces."

And the ladies of New York are happy about that. With light blue eyes that crinkle when he smiles, a strong nose and a tawny complexion that would never make you think "son of Sweden," Henrik is old Hollywood handsome. He was named on People magazine's list of Most Beautiful People in 2006, and his rugged good looks have even attracted the eye of legendary fashion photographer Bruce Weber. "His people saw me at a party and organized a meeting through the league," Henrik says. That led to a photo shoot which, he thinks, might end up in a spring issue of Italian Vogue.

He often shows up at magazine shoots with suits from his own wardrobe because, let's face it, he's a little picky and, he says, "I don't want to wear something that's not me." Among his favorite designers: Dior, Hugo Boss and Tiger of Sweden. And while you might expect off-duty athletes to bum around in sweatpants and a T-shirt, Henrik explains that the Rangers all "wear a suit every time we travel. So it's pretty much five days a week in a suit. There's a lot of space in my closet dedicated to that. And I never wear T-shirts!" Henrik describes his style as "European," but his teammate Scott uses another word: tight. "He likes to dress up. But sometimes I don't understand how he can put on his pants because they're so tight," Scott laughs.

And though he refused to doff his shirt for this Page Six Magazine photo shoot, opting instead to undo his top three buttons, Henrik would take it all off if the price was right. "I don't have a problem showing my body, but I have more respect for my girlfriend than to do that," he says. But if he was offered a $5 million, David Beckham–esque fragrance deal, "Yeah, then we could start talking. Absolutely."

While Sean Avery is famous for squiring Hollywood babes, Henrik has been dating 26-year-old Therese Andersson since just after high school. "She's been with me since I was a pro in Sweden. It's good to have her as support because she knows what it's all about," he says of his blonde paramour and fellow Swede. She's currently decorating the couple's new apartment in Hell's Kitchen, as well as a pad in Miami's South Beach. And Henrik has no plans to leave the Big Apple: "I'm pretty settled and just signed a six-year contract" with the Rangers, worth more than $40 million. "I can see myself staying here after my career. I love this city," he says.

Staying agile enough to make tough saves requires both physical and mental discipline. Henrik keeps fit in the summer by playing tennis and during the season he's put through rigorous routines designed for goaltenders (who are expected to drop into splits faster than you can say "Mary Lou Retton"). "We focus on high-intensity sprints and lots of leg and core work because he needs to be explosive in the net," says team trainer Reg Grant. Since Henrik spends the whole game crouching, lunges and squats are major parts of his workout—but he's in such great shape that his daily workouts are more like little tune-ups. "Henrik has built up a great foundation, so he only spends 20 to 40 minutes working out," Reg says.

Even though hockey has a lower profile in the U.S. than baseball or football, the front row at a Rangers game often looks like a night out at the Beatrice Inn: Fans include the Olsen twins, model May Anderson and actress (and Susan Sarandon's daughter) Eva Amurri. Still, Henrik prefers hanging out with teammates like Aaron Voros, Markus Naslund and, of course, Fredrik, at hot spots such as La Esquina in Nolita and the Gramercy Park Hotel's Rose Bar. And sometimes the aspiring guitarist even hits dive bars, like the one in Queens where he recently staged an impromptu gig with a pal. "We play covers that people know—Guns N' Roses, Foo Fighters," he says. Right now, he's looking forward to setting up a jam session with Jay Weinberg, the son of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band drummer Max, whom he met at a Boss concert in Sweden.
And while he's happy to be the franchise's golden boy of the moment, Henrik isn't one to squat on his laurels. "I'm always looking to see what's next. I never get satisfied. Otherwise you stop getting better," he says. "My focus is to go all the way [to the Stanley Cup] this year. Whatever comes along with it, good." If luck is on the side of NYC's ladies, that just might mean a $5 million fragrance-campaign offer—and a little bit of nudity.

Thanks for the full article!
I think that I laughed all of the way through it :lol:

The teams for the ASG Young Stars Game were named today.
It's in sophomores vs. rookie format, so it'll be interseting to see how it works out.

NHL Sophomores:
Goaltender
Erik Ersberg, Los Angeles Kings
Defensemen
Marc Staal, New York Rangers :)
Kris Letang, Pittsburgh Penguins
Forwards
Bryan Little, Atlanta Thrashers
Milan Lucic, Boston Bruins
Andrew Cogliano, Edmonton Oilers
Brandon Dubinsky, New York Rangers :)
Devin Setoguchi, San Jose Sharks