Hockey Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Place Rangers take two in Chicago

By Jim Cerny, newyorkrangers.com

With 18 of their fathers in attendance, the Rangers earned one of their more remarkable victories in recent memory, defeating the Chicago Blackhawks 3-2 on Chris Drury’s goal in overtime Friday night at the United Center.

The Rangers stared down much adversity in the game, and were an outstanding 10-of-11 on the penalty kill, while scoring a pair of power play goals of their own, to win in the city of Chicago for the first time since Oct. 18, 2000.

Goaltender Henrik Lundqvist played a big role in the victory, stopping 32 shots in regulation and OT and performing at his best during the Chicago power plays.“It was an all-around team effort,” said center Brandon Dubinsky, who scored for the second time in three games. “23 guys, including a great coaching staff, found a way to get us a huge two points.”

Four-fifths of their way through a five-game road trip, the Rangers have now earned seven of a possible eight points, and remain in first place in the Atlantic Division with 58 points. The road trip will conclude on Sunday afternoon with a match against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Drury started the winning scoring play in overtime by controlling a faceoff in the offensive zone. He then skated to the front of the net to deflect Wade Redden’s shot into the cage for his team-high 15th goal of the season, and second of the night, setting of dual celebrations -- one by the players on the ice, and another upstairs by their dads.

“I kind of saw Dru in front by himself, and it wasn’t a real hard shot, but Dru has such good hands that he was able to tip it in,” explained Redden.

That the Rangers scored the game-winner while on the power play was an ironic twist of fate considering the fact that the club spent so much of the game playing shorthanded.

Henrik Lundqvist made 32 saves, including two huge stops in overtime, to earn his 23rd win of the season, which is tied for second most in the NHL. He has surrendered only three goals during the Rangers’ current three-game winning streak.

The Rangers snapped a 1-1 deadlock 7:58 into the third period when Dubinsky delivered his seventh goal of the season off a gorgeous Lauri Korpikoski feed. Korpikoski, the Rangers’ rookie forward, led a 3-on-3 rush on left wing and completely faked Chicago goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin out of position before sliding a pass to a wide-open Dubinsky for the score.

Chicago was able to pull even at 15:31 when the Blackhawks finally were able to score on a two-man advantage, their fifth such power play of the game. Defenseman Brent Seabrook drove a hard slap shot inside the left post for his fifth goal to even the score 2-2.

Tom Renney, the Rangers furious head coach, yelled at the officials from the front of the team bench after Seabrook’s goal, finally unable to contain his anger which had been building all night. At that point of the game, the Blackhawks had been awarded ten power plays to only three for the Rangers, and, almost unbelievably, Chicago also had five 5-on-3s.

“Things happen in a fast-paced game, and you have to deal with it,” Drury said of the penalty disparity. “Obviously we are thrilled with the two points.”

That the score was tied 1-1 after two periods of play was due, in large part, to the Rangers’ tremendous play on the specialty teams. After Jonathan Toews deflected a shot off the crossbar and just over the goal line for his 13th goal of the season to give Chicago a 1-0 advantage at 15:28 of the first, the Rangers’ penalty killers and power play set about to be the difference.

With 2:03 remaining in the opening period, both Rangers’ defensemen on the ice -- Marc Staal and Michal Rozsival -- were whistled for penalties, handing the Blackhawks a full two minutes worth of a 5-on-3 power play. With Lundqvist making four stellar saves, including a pair during a down-low scramble on Toews and Patrick Kane, and Paul Mara making a pair of clutch steals which led to important clears, the Rangers killed off the two-man disadvantage.

Handed their own 5-on-3 power play early in the second period, the Rangers cashed in to tie the game 1-1. Drury drove a slap shot from the left dot past Khabibulin for his first goal of the evening at 6:24 to pull the Rangers even, moments after chasing down his own blocked shot and accepting a soft pass from Rozsival.

To keep the match tied until the horn sounded ending the second period, the Rangers were forced to kill off four consecutive penalties called against them, leading to three more 5-on-3 power plays of varying length for Chicago.

Lundqvist was sensational in keeping the Blackhawks off of the scoreboard during the Rangers’ parade to the penalty box. Brian Campbell, James Wisnieweski, and Kane were among the ‘Hawks robbed by the Rangers’ netminder during second period power plays.

However, Lundqvist was not the only hero on the penalty kill for the Rangers. Mara was a consistent force, even winning a defensive zone faceoff when Blair Betts was tossed from the circle. Defenseman Dmitri Kalinin repeatedly blocked the passing and shooting lanes, and cleared several rebounds out of harm’s way. Rozsival had a huge block of a powerful Seabrook shot during the third 5-on-3 for Chicago. And Drury made one huge play after another, including several blocked shots and clutch clears.

“It’s tough to kill penalties like that; and to be shorthanded so much takes the flow away from the game,” said Redden. “But we stuck with it. (The officials) made the calls and we had to battle through it.”

Making the Rangers’ penalty kills in the middle stanza the more impressive was the fact that they were accomplished largely without the aid of defensemen Dan Girardi and Staal, who are regular members of the PK unit. Girardi, who did help kill the first period 5-on-3 and the first one in the second period, did not return to action after apparently hitting his head on the ice at the end of his fight with Cam Barker at 5:27 of the second. And Staal compounded his two-minute minor penalty at 12:51 by taking a ten-minute misconduct from the penalty box a minute later.

Despite the plethora of penalties on the night, the Rangers showed tremendous character in weathering the storm, shaking off Seabrook’s tying goal, and beating a quality opponent on the road in overtime.

“That was a pretty wild game,” said Drury. “All of those penalties we had to kill, and the 5-on-3s, then they tied it up late on one, and then we hang in there and win in overtime. It’s a big win for our team.”

The fact that their fathers were able to travel to Chicago as guests of the Rangers’ organization and were present to witness in person the club’s tremendous resolve tonight, only makes the 3-2 victory that more sweet.

Three star selections:

1st: CHRIS DRURY
2nd: BRENT SEABROOK
3rd: HENRIK LUNDQVIST

Winning Goaltender:

Henrik Lundqvist

Losing Goaltender:

Nikolai Khabibulin

------------------------------------------------------

A word to Sidney(Cindy) Crosby : A bruise on the leg is a hell of a long way from the heart, candy a**.
Boo -hoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alrighty, the Rangers won again! Can't beat that now can you?
Drury's just been kicking some opposing goalie butt in the last few games, good for him.
That's the first time I've heard Dubinsky's name in a while too so glad he's back in the action.
And of course, Lundqvist did marvelous as always. ;)

A convoy of Ranger dads joined the team this week to tag along with their sons for a weekend of games in Chicago and Pittsburgh, with 19 fathers - who so resemble their sons that the group looks like a sneak preview of how a reunion of this Ranger team might look 30 years from now. :D

One new dad on the trip this season was Peter Lundqvist, father of King Henrik. Last year at this time, the goaltender's father was recovering from emergency brain surgery (!!!) in December 2007. This season, Peter Lundqvist has been able to see a number of his sons' games - both Henrik's and his twin brother Joel's, a Dallas Stars forward.
"It's great. He was supposed to come last year but he had to have tough surgery and couldn't make the trip, so he's obviously excited to be here," Henrik Lundqvist said. "It's fun, and it's fun to see all the other dads, too. I think everybody knows how much their parents meant to them, otherwise we wouldn't be here."

-----
I'm glad that Pittsburgh won too.
It was kind of telling the rest of the world that they don't need their "star" player to win and play hard. Especially since they were missing no less than nine of their regular players! Very impressive in my book.

----
5 suspended in probe of Cherepanov death
Jan 16, 3:31 pm EST
MOSCOW (AP)—The Continental Hockey League suspended five officials on Friday in connection with the death last year of rising star Alexei Cherepanov.

The 19-year-old Cherepanov, a first-round draft pick of the New York Rangers in 2007, died in October after collapsing on the Avangard Omsk bench during a game at Vityaz Chekhov. An autopsy showed he suffered from a chronic condition that obstructed blood flow to the heart and other organs.

Avangard’s president, general manager and one of its team doctors were suspended indefinitely from positions in the league. Another Avangard doctor was suspended for two years. Vityaz’s president also was suspended indefinitely.

There had been complaints that Vityaz improperly organized medical services at the arena.

Last edited:
SpeedyMeg25 said:
That's the first time I've heard Dubinsky's name in a while too so glad he's back in the action.

Actualy, he`s been in action for a few games now, making assists.
No one notices because they are too busy watching other players. His name is always mentioned in games and news article - In fact the two men who hosted last night`s game said that he is becoming a really good sophomore player.

SpeedyMeg25 said:

Actualy, he`s been in action for a few games now, making assists.
No one notices because they are too busy watching other players. His name is always mentioned in games and news article - In fact the two men who hosted last night`s game said that he is becoming a really good sophomore player.

Oh, I know he's been doing stuff.
I just think it's a shame that beyond game summaries and stuff like that, Dubinsky is hardly ever really mentioned. He usually just gets "passing mentions".
I think that he is one of the most hard working and valuable members of the team.

Sad, but true.

I'm watching the progress of the team, and each player. And I think with the All Star games, and Young Stars some of the players (Staal, Dubi) will get people's attention, and recognition for thier hard work, and talent.

Hopefully they will. The younger players many times are much more deserving of the prophetic limelight than our big name players.
Mabye it's because they have nothing to lose or live up to, while veteran players think they have to beat whatever has been accomplished in earlier years.
The young'uns are the future of the NHL you know :)

-----
NBC Sports' NHL 'Game of the Week' is back

After a rousing Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic 2009 and ratings to match on Jan. 1, NBC starts its Sunday afternoon coverage of NHL games this Sunday, Jan. 18, with the New York Rangers visiting their division rival Pittsburgh Penguins. Game time is 12:30 p.m., which will be the NBC time slot that hockey fans can count on this season.

After Sunday's game, NBC will continue regular Sunday games Feb. 8 with a matchup that will be announced on air this weekend. Another thing to watch for this weekend in Pittsburgh: NBC will again be isolating a camera on one player from each team. This weekend it will be Sidney Crosby of the Penguins and Chris Drury from the Rangers. You can view the "iso-cam" on NHL.com during Sunday's game.

NBC Sports and the NHL announced last spring that they extended their partnership through the 2008-09 season with NBC exercising its option on the NHL. The joint announcement was made by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Dick Ebersol, Chairman, NBC Universal Sports & Olympics.

Bettman said, "This is great news for the NHL and its fans. NBC has been a great partner and its innovations to the broadcasts have helped bring fans inside the game like never before."

----
I love Game of the Week!
This is pretty much,well actually the only, times that I get to watch hockey games so I'm really really happy it's that time of year again!
The preacher had better cut the sermon short tomorrow because I've got a date with my television. ;)

Oo.. old man Numminen (Sabres) scored but then got puck to his face :(
Poor man, this is his last season.

^^ I saw where Numminen got hit. I'd hate to take a puck to the head or face, it's gotta hurt like nobody's business.

So, the whole "Game of the Week" thing turned out to be a bomb for us Rangers fans as they got their butts whooped 3 to 0. Now I'm kind of glad that I didn't get to go to the game after all.
Ok, I still would 've wanted to go, but I probably would have pouted all 3 hours of the way home...

"A pair of streaks ended for the first-place Rangers on Saturday afternoon in Pittsburgh, as the Blueshirts fell to the Penguins 3-0. The loss broke a three-game road winning streak as well as an impressive run of three straight victories over the Pens."

But I guess we are still number one.

Overall I am just happy that I got to watch a game and wasn't confused for once. The best part of the game was second intermission when NBC did a little cameo of Lundqvist ;)
Except during play my family kept saying "Your Rangers goalie isn't very good is he?". He is the best.

Last edited:
Okay, when posting stories, please remove the photos. UNless they are on your own space, such as Photobucket. Hotlinking is a nono.

And the NHL adds yet another veteran player today:

Sharks recall Claude Lemieux from Minors

The San Jose Sharks recalled the 43-year-old forward from their AHL affiliate on Monday, adding a four-time Stanley Cup winner to a team already tied for the overall league lead.

Lemieux probably will be in San Jose’s lineup Tuesday night against Vancouver. He spent the past eight weeks riding the bus and playing against the next generation in Worcester, Mass., making sure his physical skills still matched his desire to complete a comeback that’s been on his mind since shortly after he retired in 2003.

“The more I was told this was impossible, the more I wanted it,” Lemieux said after his first practice with the Sharks. “I still feel that way. This is just the first step to life back in the NHL. … I got into this with my eyes wide open, knowing that most folks out there would think that I’m out of my mind to attempt to do something like this.”

Lemieux, who will wear No. 32 in teal, won titles with Montreal (1986), New Jersey (1995, 2000) and Colorado (1996), earning the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff MVP for the Devils in 1995.

Sharks coach Todd McLellan, who’s over two years younger than Lemieux, is expected to have Lemieux in uniform against the Canucks in San Jose’s final game before the All-Star break—nearly 24 years after his NHL debut in 1985.

“The excitement is probably about the same,” Lemieux said, recalling that first game with the Canadiens. “The only difference is I know what to expect, and back then I didn’t know what to expect. I’ve done this before, and it’s going to help me through the process. I worked very hard to get to where I’m at today. It’s what I wanted, a chance to live this dream again, and it’s great to be here.”

"Entering Tuesday night's game vs. Anaheim at MSG, the Rangers' top priority was to hit the All-Star Break on a high note. Mission accomplished as the first-place Blueshirts prevailed 4-2"

Absolutely amazing game. Naslund scored, Sjostrom scored, Gomez scored, and Betts scored.
Sjostrom and Betts were rocking the ice tonight, as both had short handed goals and both made some awesome blocks. :thumbsup:
Lots of talk about the two of them tonight.

Now they just have to make it through the All-Star Weekend.
Here's hoping Henrik pulls out something good to show just how great he is.

And last night, Brendan Shanahan scored a power play goal for New Jersey in his first game back after eight months. Impressive.

RANGERS BEAT THE DUCKS!!!!:thumbsup:

4 -2

Na- na- na - hey - hey hey
Good-bye...........

:beer::beer::beer:

New York Rangers go into the All-star game with a win. Woot! LETS GO RANGERS!!!!

Great play, great defence. Awsome game!!!

Three stars are :

Blair Betts

Henrik Lundqvist

There is a third guy who's name I didnt hear cuz the crowd was wild. I think it should be Fredrik Sjostrom because he was awsome tonight!

CHEERS!!:beer::beer::beer:

Three stars are :

Blair Betts

Henrik Lundqvist

There is a third guy who's name I didnt hear cuz the crowd was wild. I think it should be Fredrik Sjostrom because he was awsome tonight!

Scott Gomez was the third star. :)
I think it should be Fredrik too!
He hardly ever gets mentioned first of all, and he scored a great goal and did some other impressive stuff. :p

SpeedyMeg25 said:
Scott Gomez was the third star. :)
I think it should be Fredrik too!
He hardly ever gets mentioned first of all, and he scored a great goal and did some other impressive stuff. :p

Awww.....we love him anyway. Go Freddy!!

That's true :D

Changes Made to All-Star Rosters

San Jose Sharks captain Patrick Marleau and Dallas Stars defenseman Stephane Robidas have been added to the Western Conference roster for the NHL All-Star Game at the Bell Centre in Montreal on Jan. 25.

They replace a pair of Detroit Red Wings, forward Pavel Datsyuk and defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom, who will not play due to injuries. Datsyuk left Tuesday's 6-3 loss at Phoenix in the third period with what Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said was a hip injury.

There are also four sets of injury-related changes for the NHL YoungStars Game presented by Upper Deck that will be played on Jan. 24.

Nashville goaltender Pekka Rinne will replace Columbus' Steve Mason on the rookie team that will face a team of second-year players. That team will also have Chicago forward Dave Bolland and St. Louis' David Perron in the lineup, replacing Boston's Milan Lucic and Washington's Nicklas Backstrom.

"Just being safe," Lucic said. "It would have been great to be part of it once again, especially with the 100-year anniversary of the Canadiens. It [stinks] that I have to miss it, but I got to experience the game last year."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back