Grade 'All in the Family'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 23, 2008.

1. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I gave this episode an A.

The Danny/Flack scenes were wonderful and proved how much Flack cares about Danny and the lengths he'll go to help him.

I know this has been said but I have to say it anyway. The pool table is gone. :p Perhaps Danny's trying to forget that night ever happened or he's making sure it never happens again. :devil:

I can't help but wonder if Lindsay hadn't seen Don in the lab, would she even have bothered to try to contact him about Danny or try to find Danny herself. I'm thinking NO. She certainly didn't seem to be the 'oh, I'm his girlfriend and I love him dearly' type of worried. Don appeared to be much more concerned about Danny than she was. I liked Don's persistence. He is the one person that Danny can't fool, run from, or hide from. Don is always one step ahead of him. I didn't see him bordering on being stalkerish either and when Danny refused to answer Don's call, I enjoyed watching Don have his cell phone tracked. I initially wanted to smack Danny when he told Don to mind his own business but after I watched the episode again, it's clear that Don is the one person who knows Danny well enough to know when he's saying things out of frustration. When he told Danny it was his business, Danny didn't argue. He knew Don was right.

I believe Don's right. Danny needs to stop blaming himself. If Rikki hasn't laid the blame on Danny, then he shouldn't either although I have a feeling that Danny will always blame himself anyway. I enjoyed the scenes between Danny and Rikki and I'm glad to see they can turn to each other when they need to. Hearing Danny call her 'sweetheart' was really sweet just like it was when he called the little girl 'sweetheart' in Boo.

As for DL, is there such a thing? I really didn't see anything in this episode that would indicate Danny and Lindsay are together. If anything, it seems that Lindsay doesn't really know much about Danny and it's clear that she doesn't spend any time with him away from work. Sure, she knew he was off the day before and that he was late for work but that doesn't mean they're dating. Of course she'd know when he was off and/or scheduled to work....they share the same office. Same thing with Mac telling her not to catch the flu from Danny....they work together and he doesn't need another CSI off. I doubt he thinks they're dating. Aside from telling Don she was worried about Danny and then helping him with that phone number, Lindsay didn't appear to be very worried about where Danny was or how he's holding up emotionally. It was just another day at work for her. Yeah, they're so in love. :rolleyes:

One thing that really bugs me is when Lindsay called Flack...Don. Are TPTB trying to use Flack as a way to make us like her?? Sorry but trying to make them be BFFs is not gonna make me like her.

I really enjoyed the Flack/Angell interaction. I think they would be a great direction for TPTB to take. She's a recurring character so we wouldn't have it in your face every single week and oh my, they sizzle. They've barely had screentime together yet, they have shown more sparks than what Danny and Lindsay ever have in any of their scenes. I'm betting the perfect place to get that Irish coffee is either at Flack's or Angell's place. :p Flack calling her Jess makes me wonder if this will be the first time they've gotten together outside of work.

As for the case....sorry but the Danny/Flack, Danny/Rikki, Danny/Flack/Rikki, and Flack/Angell scenes had me not caring much for the case. It was good to see continuity from Child's Play. Now...would someone please tell us what happened to Louie. :eek: With the name All in the Family, you'd think he could have been worked into the conversation somewhere. :rolleyes:

Last but not least....Danny on a Harley....very hot. :p

2. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I haven't seen it yet :( But i'm loking forward to Danny and his Harley :devil:

3. gypsy

gypsy Police Officer

i'm looking for clips. :(

4. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I think I'd have to go with an A- for this episode. The case was OK, but really did pale in comparison to the fantastic Danny/Flack character interaction.

I definitely think that Danny looked tired and exhausted, clearly still really struggling with his grief. He obviously really cares for Rikki, and desperately wants to do the right thing for her. It was really sad to watch. Flack on the other hand doesn't think that Danny owes Rikki anything, and I'm sure if it had just been up to him then Rikki would have been taken in straight away. It's not out of sympathy for her that he doesn't take her, it's a sign of the real strength of friendship and caring for Danny that he lets Danny deal with it in his own way, and from the ending and what he had already put into place for Rikki he seemed to know that Danny would do what was right eventually and that Flack's 'tough love' approach would work. Now, someone just needs to give Danny a good kick in the right direction and tell him to stop the self loathing and maybe get some good grief counselling. Danny and Flack fighting makes for great TV, and emotional Danny is compelling to watch, but I'd like some happiness for the guy as well.

The Danny and Flack relationship is so strong, and their friendship also adds something extra to every episode it's featured in. If I had a wish list for episodes I would want one where Danny actually does something for Flack for once. Flack is the 'go to' guy, he is always reliable and strong, but that doesn't usually seem to be returned in any way. Friendship is two sided, and I'd love to see the other side. In this episode Flack really did go above and beyond in every way. Plus it was his day off. Yep, Flack is why I love this show. There is nothing he can't/wouldn't do. :lol:

Mmm, Don Flack and Jess Angell. At first I thought he was looking around to see if Danny was showing up anytime soon, but they were both making sure that their conversation wasn't being over heard. Definitely back to her place. And I doubt Flack was really planning to tell her all about his day... I like it, two very pretty Detectives with awesome natural chemistry.

5. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

A-

I liked this episode because of all the personal drama; both in the case as in Danny's life, but the latter kept my attention much more than the former (I guessed early on that it was one or both of the brothers).

I think it's just great that TPTB followed up on Ruben's death, because it would've been pretty weird if Danny had not seem affected by that at all :(; it's a shame though that they never took that effort with Louie.

Well, when she lied to Mac about Danny's whereabouts he was only two hours late, so before that, when she told Flack he hadn't shown up for his shift and wasn't answering his call he was only mia for less than two hours, and she had already tried to call him and was worried enough to tell Flack; I'm guessing that had he been missing longer she would've been as extremely worried as Flack was later on...but we will never know for sure... ;)

Aah yes :(, but it was replaced by a 'real' bed; I think nights on green felt, do reach their end (and cost you your back)

Just a little teaser ;)

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

No, we don't know for sure. But being they work together it would make sense that Danny being late for his shift without notifying anyone and not answering his phone would raise a red flag to someone on the team. It just so happens that the co-worker who he was supposed to replace was Lindsay. Since she saw his reaction in the morgue, it shouldn't be unusual for her to cover for her co-worker. The only unusual thing was Lindsay thinking of someone other than herself for a brief moment.

There was a "real bed" in plain sight during their pool table escapade in "Snow Day;" so perhaps Danny got rid of it because it was contaminated to the point it couldn't be cleansed.

7. rhythmbutterfly

rhythmbutterfly Victim

Just wanted to comment on a couple of things.

First of all, Carmine's delivery of his last line left me physically startled. Like I jumped a little bit and my jaw dropped open. I've been trying to pinpoint why it affected me like that, and I think it was just the lack of emotion. Here's this character whose emotion oozes out of every pore on a normal day. He bitches, whines, yells, gets sarcastic, pleads, looks at the floor when he gets yelled at, cries, makes that weird grimace-face when he's upset, etc. But that one word, "how," had none of that. No pleading, no histrionics, no sexy Staten Island accent, no voice inflection of any kind. Just the word. And that was cool. I'm much more of a Danny fan than a Carmine fan, but I liked that choice from him.

The second thing is, how long have Danny and Flack been friends? I, like many others, get the vibe that Flack feels the need to take care of Danny. I almost think they must have been friends since childhood or something. Flack really goes above and beyond the normal parameters of friendship in this episode, even potentially risking his job by letting Danny bring Rikki in himself. What makes Flack feel this strongly about Danny?

8. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

^ I don't think it was ever made clear how long they've known each other, but they're clearly very good friends.

I'm sure there would've been some hard-to-get-rid-off stains, but I'm guessing that's a slightly different meaning of contaminition than the one you were aiming for ;)

9. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

One thing we do know is that they've been friends since Episode 1x01 Blink when Danny casually mentioned "Hoops on Saturday, Flack. Don't forget." So, for at least over three years if not longer. ;)

Exactly. Also, the pool table was in the same room as the front door. You can see it in screencaps from Snow Day. Nope, a bed did NOT replace the pool table. There was a perfectly made bed in that room in Snow Day, too. *must find caps and post*

10. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

B.

This episode was all about the Flack/Danny relationship and I love that. It showed that they truly are good friends. Flack, ever so supportive but at the same time, such an upstanding guy who will do the right thing. Poor Danny, so haunted by Ruben's death. I love the fact that everything wasn't resolved within the episode since the ending clearly showed that Danny will forever regret what happened. All in all, this episode was character-driven. Without the F/D interaction this episode wouldn't have stood out.

11. GypsyQueen

GypsyQueen Victim

I loved this episode. I know it's been said over and over but all the scenes with Don Flack in them rocked! Something Elsie said in her post really got me thinking. Flack is the 'go to' guy. It's true, Don was the first person Mac confided in about the 333 caller, Don was sent by the Commissioner to Chicago to keep an eye on Mac, Lindsay knows to go to Don when she can't get a hold of Danny and Danny well, I am sure underneath the angsting, guilty bratty behaviour, Danny knows that Don will always be there for him too. Also back when Stella was attacked by Frankie, it was Flack that stayed with her at the hospital. He's just such a nice guy. I would love to see them to do something for him in return and not necessarily in a 'Flack-is-in-trouble' kind of way.
    Still this was a really nice episode although it's a little worrying that just about everyone resorts to murder or attempted murder to deal with grief in the CSI world. I mean Riki seemed like such a nice person and I know the incredible grief she much be going through, but to go from being a mother to actually being willing to commit murder, even going so far as to steal a neighbour's gun? It just makes you wonder you know?

12. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Honestly, with how easily Danny talked her down, I didn't get the impression she was so unstoppablely, intent on killing Ollie. A part of Danny might have known that too because he was so willing to put himself in the line of fire. Of course some of that might have come from his own guilt... but still.

13. rhythmbutterfly

rhythmbutterfly Victim

^^

During the scene where Danny stepped in front of Ollie, I kept waiting for him to tell Rikki to shoot him. I'm glad they didn't go that way. As guilty as Danny feels, they're not going overboard with it.

14. chabib86

chabib86 Dead on Arrival

Actually, I think Danny sold his pool table because he needed the pocket change. Ebay, you know, you can get a good price.

Doesn't anyone else get tired of the constant one-upmanship thing going on here regarding Lindsay? Whenever anything positive is posted about her, someone's always gotta have the last word, that she's evil and we hate her. Geez.
    I apologize if this post is rude. It just really gets to me sometimes.

15. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Are you kidding me? Rikki was grief striken because her whole world - her son Ruben, who was only 10 and completely innocent - was taken away from her needlessly. No, she didn't do the right thing, but people do things that are extremely out of character because of grief. And as far as "going from a mother to actually being willing to commit murder," most mothers would do anything to protect their child. Rikki wasn't there when Ruben was killed, so in her state of mind she saw going after Ollie as a way to get justice for her son.

The fact that she went over the line doesn't mean she's some sort of evil, cold blooded killer. She was acting on raw grief and anger, and needs help and time to come to terms with the tragedy.

ETA:
    As far as I can see there's a fair amount of people posting positive comments about Lindsay in response to negative comments about Lindsay. Why isn't that a problem, too? And who is saying "we" hate Lindsay? I haven't seen anyone try to speak for anyone other than themselves.