Grade 'All in the Family'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 23, 2008.

1. flackfan_82

flackfan_82 Witness

:lol: Maybe he sold it to get rid of some unwanted mental images, a psychological cleansing so to speak. :lol:

I love the chemistry between Flack and Angell, it is so natural and hot...I'm sure the 'place' she's thinkin of is hers or his, :lol: I think that Flack is probably one of those guys who moves quickly in relationships. That's the way the writers have made it seem. I can remember Eddie Cahill saying in an interview post 'You Only Die Once' that he didn't feel comfortably with the word 'girlfriend' in relation to Devon, but that they wanted him to go that way...maybe they want Flack to seem a little insecure with women? Why i have no idea...

As for Lindsay, I guess I just didn't believe the sincerity behind her concern for Danny. If she hadn't seen Don in the lab, would she have called him with her concern? It all seemed a little convenient, maybe for story's sake, who knows. :rolleyes:

2. chabib86

chabib86 Dead on Arrival

I think this episode deserves an A+ for Carmine's acting and the Danny storyline.
    I found Danny's actions to be heartbreakingly raw and painfully real.
    For someone to be angry at Danny for his mis-steps and gross errors of judgement in this episode, they must've been blessed with a life free of pain, suffering, or loss, so as not to understand what Danny is going through right now.
    So Danny doesn't give a hoot about his job, the rules, his friends - yeah, sounds pretty much on par with what he's experiencing. The death of someone close to him - a child - which he feels resposible for??? Let the whole world go to hell!, as long as they leave him alone. He JUST. DOESN'T. CARE, and he wishes he could post that in flaming letters on his front door.(Maybe everyone would listen then?) Just "LEAVE. ME. ALONE", so he could wallow in grief and drown in his own guilt.
    Danny was in complete shock over Ruben's death in "Child's Play", and seemed to be in a denial mode - trying to shut it all out - in "Happily Never After". To quote Aiden, though, "You'll feel it soon, and it's gonna hurt like a bastard!" That's just about now.
    Lindsay covers for Danny, alerts Don - Don chases Danny, tracks him down, saves his ass - that's two good friends Danny's got, which is exactly what he needs right now, when he's working so hard to push them away.
    So Danny rebuffs Don, tells him off, a "Leave me alone!" very much like Lindsay's now infamous one - well, Don didn't help him out expecting profuse thanks, and he's not going to slink away with his tail between his legs because Danny was ungrateful. He's going to stand by Danny through this rough rough time, and it looks like Lindsay will too.

Yes, I'd like to see Danny make some tough decisions to move forward and pull his life together, but given his track record, I don't know how soon that could happen. Hopefully he's strong enough not to let his life spiral out of control, and he's got his friends who won't let him drown. It's becoming increasingly apparent, though, that this is one cop who's taken just about all he can handle.

3. chabib86

chabib86 Dead on Arrival

By the way, is anyone else annoyed at the misleading preview? They edited it to look as if Rikki was going after Danny. The promo showed Rikki blaming Danny for Ruben's death while pointing a gun at him! That kind of thing really ticks me off. [Do you think we wouldn't watch it if we had a real preview??]
    Apparently Rikki doesn't blame Danny at all, which I'm relieved at, because he blames himself enough for the two of them.

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

A+

I'm shameless. I love Danny drama. I admit it. And when you throw Flack into the mix, too--hello, yes!

I have to agree with PA that what unfolded was pretty predictable action-wise, but I thought the characters themselves transcending the rather pat plot. The dialogue was spot on even if we knew what would probably happen. Was Rikki really going to shoot Ollie? Hell, no. If she had, I think it would have sent Danny over the edge. And yes, Ollie was a little too 'evil villain' for me, but I guess if you're a jerk and someone aims a gun at you blaming you for something you didn't have a clue about, that's how you might react.

But I liked how Danny point out exactly why he feels guilty--and exactly why he should feel guilty. Rikki doesn't seem to blame him, but then, a robber and stranger is an easier target than the sweet guy down the hall with the puppy-dog eyes. And Flack doesn't blame him, but Flack never blames Danny for anything.

Speaking of...

Much as I love Danny, I've got to agree. Flack, as peeved as he clearly was, still pretty much did everything he could for Danny in this episode. He could have called the gun missing in, when he found Danny or when Danny didn't pick up his cell and he didn't. He could have just said "screw you" to Danny and arrested Rikki in that alley. He didn't.

I know Danny is going through a lot, but I've said it before (with regards to Lindsay a lot of the time!) and I'll say it again: emotional turmoil is no excuse for being an ass to someone who is trying to help you. Telling a friend who's risked his badge for you that he should have "minded [his] own business" is just a dick thing to say.

Flack should turn Danny over his knee and spank that round rump of his. But only if we get to watch. ;) :devil: :devil: :devil:

The main case was fine, but it was hard staying focused on it once we knew what was up with Danny. I liked how it all wrapped up.

Love the idea of Flack/Angell. They have crazy chemistry. :D

And rox, you're not the only one who noticed the pool table missing from Danny's apartment. A little foreshadowing there??? ;)

5. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

Yes but surely that's the point? Danny is a impulsive, emotional, self-obsessed mess of an man. He doesn't act rationally; he isn't grateful, polite or even particularly nice at times. That's what makes him such an intriguing character....

6. kinehelene

kinehelene Hit and Run

didnt flack and angel have a "thing" in the car in episode 7 in season 4. where he suddelnly said a line to her and turn all red in his face.. and she comlpimented him after he tok a hair sample from a suspect in the backseat of the police car. ( sorry for my english. hope you understand it:S)

7. CSINEWYORK000

CSINEWYORK000 Lab Technician

Here are my 2 cents on this episode..............

This episode is definatly more complex than previous episodes.

Personnally - i liked scenes btw Danny/Flack & Danny/Rikki.

It was easy to see that something was wrong because Danny only appeared in the second half of the episode.

And although danny known to be quitew troubled - it was interesting to see the much softer side of danny. Clearly he felt guilty. And it seems like its bringing Danny & Ricky closer together.........no?

As far as D/L goes - I agree that relationship is dead & gone. And i dont know if you guys read the review yet. But they mentioned that that the pool table was gone - the one they shared in "Snow Day" - almost as if to erase memory.
    Things are gone cold btw D/L.

8. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Great episode, I gave it an A-.

I agree with much of what both La Guera and Top41 said re: Danny and his ungrateful attitude. Flack went waaaaay out of his way to do right by his friend, even though he knew that he was bending the rules for him, and Danny's inconsiderate, bratty snit at the end was a pretty shitty way to repay him. Made for fantastic drama though, of course, and I admit the entire scenario between Flack/Danny was superb. But it made me want to hug Danny on the one hand and tell him it's going to get better, and thump him resoundingly on his thick little head on the other hand, and tell him to grow the HELL up, for pete's sake. :lol:

I actually did enjoy the judge's case, even though as many of you have mentioned, the plot was a a bit pat. I thought the young actors who played the two brothers did a fine job, especially the older one at the end, showing such clear hatred for the judge, and utter lack of any sort of remorse or contrition. Nice attempt at a save for the younger brother, but Mac saw through it, and of course even if he did just "stand there" during the crime, he's still party to it, anyway.

Speaking of Mac, I enjoyed his actions at the end with the brothers, particularly when he shoved the photos in the younger one's face, making him take a closer look at the end result of their actions - especially with the innocent woman.

Finally, I enjoyed the fun little flirtation between Angell and Flack, and I do agree, Great Chemistry between the two of them, and better yet, wholly effortless chemistry, nothing forced or contrived about it.

9. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

First thing I have to say is that I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that the pool table was missing.

I've been waiting for this episode for so long, and it didn't disappoint. The main case was so-so, but the Danny/Flack scenes were love. I can't help but feel for Danny, even if he didn't need to be so hard on poor Flack. The guy was just trying to help. Rikki, though predictable, truly felt like a mother in distress over loosing her only child.
    The lack of D/L interaction was noticeable to me as well. Instead of taking off to find Danny herself, she turns to Flack for help. I wonder why that could possibly be? :devil:

Now that, I'd watch. Over and over :devil:

10. AirAdam

AirAdam Dead on Arrival

But yeah I feel the same way, Danny is always getting in to some sort of trouble. The past 3esp of CSI:NY I've seen he has had some problems. Like in "Snow Day" "Run silent Run Deep" and "All in the family"
    Does he always get into trouble? lol

11. Lampdor

Lampdor Prime Suspect

A+

Just for Flack and Danny’s acting I would give that an “A” they stole the show, nice interaction with Angell as well

-What no Adam?

-Never thought I’d see Flack standing in a dumpster looking for the gun

-How come Flack gets another homicide call? He’s already got one case, plus, Stella and Angell are already on the scene…. just an excuse to link the two cases together right? Weeeeeeeeeeeeee Mac, Hawkes, and Flack are ninjas again leaping over the buildings

-Ick. Lindsay’s on screen. ZOMG SHE HAS A GUN. I turned away from her so I didn’t see her put the gun down, at first it looked like she was going after Flack with it

-First time I heard her call him “Don”

-Only phone calls? Can’t Lindsay trek her butt over to his apartment herself before work or something? Not much of a relationship there, why did Zuiker have them pose in a heart shape for the promo pic?

-Sometimes I think Mac is the tin man without a heart. He didn’t even ask how Danny was, but believes he’s sick with the flu

-Danny was a bit of a jerk, but it’s understandable. He wasn’t even gonna take Rikki in I think that would have ended his career if Mac found out and thank God Flack gave him the ultimatum. Flack is so by the book, was watchin this with my friend (via msn) and she gave Flack the nickname “justice man”. Flack is so cute, he even tells Danny he’ll be at his desk

-didn’t really care about the judge’s case. Danny was more interesting, however, Rikki’s gun scene didn’t live up to the promo. Dunno how to explain it, wasn’t how I thought it would be it looked like Rikki was going after Danny and Flack had his gun out on Rikki, guess not.

-Angell strolled to Flack’s desk with confidence oozing out of her pores. I want her coat. Jess????? I liked Jennifer better. Wow, on first name bases, guess Devon is kicked to the curb. And hey, she was quit snarky with the suspect in the apartment, I think she can keep up with Flack

-Danny is still a bit of a jerk at the end. Poor Danny, he has to go through something every season.

Okay so CTV sucks kaka. Didn’t get the “stay tuned for scenes of the next episode”. Is there another episode? Sorry if I repeated something already said, but gotta post and go. Real life is calling …

12. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I gave it an A... mainly for the Flack/Danny Action

The case was pretty straight forward in NY cases I didn't twig on the boys straight off but gradually it kind of made sense more than the bird guy who seemed to normal.

Lindsay covering for Danny give her kudos for that cos lying to Mac is hard but the fact he seemed to just believe it straight off did seem a bit wierd that he didn't question it. And he obviously knows something happened/happening (seeing as its stil up in the air) with the 2 of them with his parting line.

the fact she spoke to Flack I thought maybe cos she knew he was finishing up he would have more chance, she probably knows he will actually be able to get more out of him.

Flack is just to good and i really really felt for him at the way Danny didn't appreciate his help or the fact he was concerned. Flack was doing what he had to do, he knew he probably could bend it but he didn't.

I love there friendship cos its the typical men never ask for help like women do you kind of just have to help and hope they accept it.

Danny, everyone loves him and he did great and a very nice motorbike aswell (and flacks car was pretty fancy). I liked his reaction to punch ollie, it made it more real and more Danny for me because he always has had a short fuse.

The flack/angell insteraction is funny the scene at the end i almost thought wow they are already in bed together... but a stiff drink is probably what he needs.

I loved it mainly for the Danny Storyline.

13. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I've decided I shouldn't post when I'm cranky, like I was last night. It makes my posts come out more negative than I intend sometimes.

I still stand by my C- grade, because the episode was mostly predictable and that really bugged me considering the great potential of the Ruben story line and this season's theme of avenging childhood trauma years later.

The inconsistency of having Lindsay be concerned about Danny coupled with no follow up to show she didn't just forget about him, and the way that Flack and Angell suddenly seemed like they've been in a relationship for a while when we know they don't know each other well also bugged me. Also, making Ollie the villian and not mentioning what happened to Lucy really didn't sit well with me. This episode deserved more than that.

That said, the performances were great. The obvious chemistry between Eddie Cahill and Emmanuelle Vaugier is probably a big part of what made Flack and Angell appear to have already been in a relationship. Carmine and Eddie also have great chemistry, and I liked the "tough love" approach Flack took with Danny. Flack gave Danny leeway, as he seems to want to do with all cops, but made it clear that he wasn't going to let the rules be completely forgotten. I also find it interesting that Flack doesn't take crap from anyone, but he lets Danny act like an ungrateful ass. I agree with Top that he obviously knows Danny intimately - I'm not talking sexually - so I think perhaps he just accepts that when Danny is having a tough time emotionally his way of dealing with things is to be an ungrateful ass. I suppose it's a testament to Danny's upbringing when he acts like it's "me against the world," and Flack is probably aware of that as well. Sometimes people just can't break out of destructive patterns they learned in childhood.

I really hope TPTB don't consider the Ruben story line to be "over." I don't want the usual CSI: NY "the bad thing that happened to me is done, so now I'm completely back to the way I was before anything happened" characterization to happen to Danny. Yes, Danny has to come to terms with what happened so he can get back to a functioning life; but he shouldn't come out of this as the same person he was before the tradgedy took place. I just hope we get to see more of his process of coming to terms and his evolution as a character as he learns to live with what happened. I also hope they bring Rikki back, because the actress is wonderful. Also, it would be nice to see Danny and Rikki help each other grieve and learn to get on with their lives.

ETA: I forgot to mention how I like that Flack knows if he gives Danny time to calm down and not just react out of emotion Danny will end up doing the right thing.

14. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I think Danny's line at the end kind of told me that it wasn't going to be forgotten easily... i mean i hope they don't would be stupid to forget a damn good story line.

15. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I think you're right about the last line. I hope so too, but I've got one word that proves otherwise: Louie.