Gil <3 Cath #25: PureJoy--Rub-A-Dub-Dub

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gil <3 Cath #25: PureJoy--Rub-A-Dub-Dub, Two CSIs In

well, the most logical explanation is that they became civil with each other because of Catherine. At the beginning, when Sam was Catherine's "family friend", Gil seemed amiable towards Sam. When Catherine was pissed at Sam, Gil was protective of her towards Sam (NMB), then when Catherine made peace with him at the end of KKBB for the sake of her mother, Gil was amiable towards Sam again.

So basically, Gil was taking his cue from how Catherine reacted towards Sam as to whether Sam was the "bad guy" for the day - in which Gil would be protective - or if Catherine considered Sam a "good guy" Gil would treat Sam as such.

As for Sam, I don't think his feelings changed at any time - either towards Catherine or Gil. He always seemed to try & be civil. Even that confrontation in NMB, Gil was trying to pin something on Sam that Sam wasn't responsible for, but Sam still kept his humor. It was Catherine with the conflicting feelings towards Sam. Gil knew the best thing to do was to just follow along with her.

I still think there was lack of closure with Sam's death. That storyline didn't deserve to end in the pathetic way it did - a slight mention by Brass in Toe Tags, the lighting of the candle by Catherine in the church, and the little "mob guy" slip by Greg in Living legend. With as many storylines that Sam had (including references to him without him even being in an episode), it deserved more.

OK, I'll shut up now on the subject. I'm still fuming with that ending. *grumbles*

I was going to say something along the lines of "Gil must have talked to Sam after because they seem to be on pretty good terms now." and people have said it before me because great minds think alike.

I really find this Sam/Gil (not a pairing :p) storyline quite interesting because...I don't know it's really something new. Catherine is really the only CSI into whose family life the viewers have looked at so far. And all the family members are connected to the show both through Catherine and through Grissom, which is fantastic. Honestly, No More Bets was crucial in that it really set that link in place and it was really the first time that they were alone together to have a conversation, and of course their conversation was about Catherine.

I think Gil could have easily done something on the cases in Inside the Box and No More Bets, to pin something on Sam, but I think he didn't do anything to that effect partly because the evidence didn't really mount to a compelling conclusion, but also for Catherine because he's her father, and both Catherine and Gil know that he's a good man, although he may have made some mistakes.

I dont' know if that made much sense but I guess that's my two cents on the whole deal. I'm really sad that Sam had to die, and that there was no link between his death and Gil's reaction. T_TB need to improve there.

kay, I've always thought that Gil and Sam made -sort of- a truce for Catherine, but your opinion that Gil just followed Cath's responses to Sam is a whole new aspect to me and I really like it. :)

I don't think Sam deserve that closure (if we could call it one), either. He was one of the most important recurring roles on this show. Both his existence and death affected the Las Vegas Crime Lab a lot and he deserved so much more.

kaylyne said:

I still think there was lack of closure with Sam's death. That storyline didn't deserve to end in the pathetic way it did - a slight mention by Brass in Toe Tags, the lighting of the candle by Catherine in the church, and the little "mob guy" slip by Greg in Living legend. With as many storylines that Sam had (including references to him without him even being in an episode), it deserved more.

OK, I'll shut up now on the subject. I'm still fuming with that ending. *grumbles*

I'm fuming along with you. I don't think they did justice to Sam's ending. It was too ambigious. Is he dead? Isn't he dead? Did Cath run to Gil for comfort? How did Gil react? How did Sam's death affect the G/C relationship? All and all, too many things were left unsaid about Sam's death.

Runs away before I get a pillow thrown at me for being off topic. *snicker*

Bev said:
I'm fuming along with you. I don't think they did justice to Sam's ending. It was too ambigious. Is he dead? Isn't he dead? Did Cath run to Gil for comfort? How did Gil react? How did Sam's death affect the G/C relationship? All and all, too many things were left unsaid about Sam's death.
I agree Sam's ending was too abrupt and alot was left hanging in the air. I would have thought that with all their history their would have been a scene with Gil comforting Cath or at least a mention of them going to Sam's funeral together or something.

But i suppose Sam's death gives TPTB alot of avenues they can explore into Catherine's life again. For example, it might have already been answered, but does Cath get Sam's inheritance? and if she did how Gil would feel about that because i always felt that a part of Gil's early dislike for Sam was his wealth, just IMO :)

CSIangel17 said:
I agree Sam's ending was too abrupt and alot was left hanging in the air. I would have thought that with all their history their would have been a scene with Gil comforting Cath or at least a mention of them going to Sam's funeral together or something.
Nah. T_TB made a choice in favour of one particular direction which left no room for much else. Besides, the Season 5 team split remains in place, in the form of who is allowed to work with whom. So Grissom still works with Sara and Greg almost exclusively, while Catherine, Nick and Warrick - when the writers remember that he's still on case - work alone or sort of together.

CSIangel17 said:
But i suppose Sam's death gives TPTB alot of avenues they can explore into Catherine's life again. For example, it might have already been answered, but does Cath get Sam's inheritance? and if she did how Gil would feel about that because i always felt that a part of Gil's early dislike for Sam was his wealth, just IMO :)
They answered the inheritance question very briefly (but of course :rolleyes:) in one episode. The money is all tied up in property or something like that.

I doubt we're going to revisit the Sam question.

I want to add about Sam and Cath and Gil too
It was left very badly IMO
one minute you see Cath holding Sam on the ground then .... we assume he's dead :confused:
and did Gil comfort her?
He knew about Eddie and tried to comfort her but she was more focused on the case, like she said "working actually helps"
She probably had that attitude when Sam died too
but Gil made no mention of it either

**Unless he did it privately** :D

^ Hehe. I have a feeling that he did do it privately. ;) And I agree that Cath tends to focus on work when she's grieving for people she loves. I guess it helps her forget temporarily since she needs to concentrate on something else.

That's something she and Gil have in common.
Whenever things go wrong, they throw themselves into work because it helps them forget about their trouble.
Either that, or they have one another.

They did treat Sam badly, and I think part of that was that they weren't sure what they were going to do with him. Do we kill him? Does Catherine need more angst? Do our ratings need a boost? That sort of thing.

As for Gil comforting Catherine - of course he did. And definitely privately, because their relationship is still under wraps ;)

I know it's completely out of the discussion, but I'm leaving tomorrow and will be back in early January. I just wanted to wish you all very happy Holidays! :D

Happy Holidays GGgirl. Have fun :)

I just watched Mea Culpa again, and I'd forgotten what a good example of shippiness without G and C in the same room together that episode was.

Seriously, half the time I was waiting for Catherine to come out with: "I swear to god, if your handling of the evidence makes my guy look bad, I will kick your ass!"

Hope you have a good time on holiday GGgirl :)

Oh Mea Culpa, as much as I didn't like that episode because Ecklie, split up the team and Gil and Cath. I did love the episode because Catherine stuck up for Gil to both Sofia and Ecklie and showed her loyalty to him.

And also it did lead to one of the best G/C scenes IMO, the one where Gil gave her his foetal pig as an office warming gift :D

A bit off topic but does anyone know what mea culpa means?

It's latin: "My fault" ;)

Mea Culpa is the PIGGY EP. Period :D

Hehe meloves Mea Culpa. Well, Catherine and Gil shared only one or two scenes in this episode, but I think it's probably one of the shippiest episodes ever. Just look at how they cover for/protect/stand up for one another in front of Ecklie, and the trust they had for each other. :)

Have a great time, GGirl. And Happy Holidays everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back