Flack #6 - Your Handcuffs or Mine??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Flack #6 - Your Handcuffs or mine?

Happy Birthday CrimeShark!

I think Flack's obsession with food is cute. Everytime he comes up with a line about food, he seems like a little kid to me. Maybe it's just his Italian genes.

We know that the CSI franchise doesn't depict real life in the most accurate ways. But we have to realize that it's entertainment, so you can't really look too much into it. The writers/producers are going to have to alter some aspects of it to suit the purposes of the show.

Fay, you officially made my night! Thank you for all the lovely pictures and the wonderful discussion. You make life good...
Aw, that's sweet. :) But really, I have totally selfish motivations--I like to look at the prettiness, and I like to run my mouth. :p But I'm glad other people join in, it makes it more fun that way. :lol: ;)

Oh? Lol... should I elaborate on it?
*fangirlish giggle* Um, no, no that's not necessary at all. *chuckle* I, er, that is to say, I don't think I, uh, need elaboration. I'll just *giggle*, I'll just pretend I have a clue what you mean. Which I don't, by the way, I'm totally innocent. :D *shoves horns under hair*

Flack definitely was on a drug bust, not just stumbling across drugs imho. He had a whole team with him and they were all wearing bullet proof vests.
That's very true. Unless they expect us to assume that Flack does various types of jobs in the NYPD, I'm thinking that maybe the drug raid was the result of a homicide investigation. They're trying to solve a murder, and they find out that the victim was selling drugs or something. So when they follow the leads to do the raid, they put Flack in charge since it was initially his investigation. Yeah, it might not make a whole lot of sense, but I think I like that idea better than 'oh, I guess he does drug raids in between being a regular homicide detective.' :lol:

I started getting all discussion-y over in the spoiler thread, so I thought I'd bring what I said over here. :p The quotes I used are from 1CSIMfan. ;)

Well, I thought "Consequences" gave us quite a bit of insight into Flack's character, as 1CSIMfan said. It wasn't spelled out, but it was there.

It showed that, in the end, he will do whatever it takes to put the bad man away, even if he hurts a friend--or himself--in the process.
He seems to have a very black-and-white view of right and wrong, and of where people should stand on the issue. Yes, he's a very capable detective, but there's still a certain naivety about him, a bit of idealism. He's slowly learning that the world isn't just cut-and-dry like that, but you can sense that it's hard on him to know that. He wants to believe in something better.

He's a good cop--but it's obvious that he's still a young cop. He's learned a lot, he knows a lot, and I don't mean to imply that he is ignorant in any way. But he also still has a lot to learn--in the process he'll gain a certain...what's the word...jaded view of the world. On the one hand you know he needs to get there, but at the same time you mourn his loss of innocence. There's something very pure about Flack, IMO, that makes him very interesting.

He knew Mac was just doing his job (the same way that Flack was doing his job with Gavin) but you could see that it was still hard on him.
And I really loved the contrast there, between Flack and Moran. Both were being stubborn about handing over their memo books, but for very different reasons. You know the connection wasn't lost on Don...

But this is the spoiler thread, so I'll leave that alone for now. :lol:

^I think I pulled most of that straight out of my ass last night. :lol: But it's sort of how I feel...I think it's missing something though. I don't think Flack's a kid, and that's kind of how it sounds, doesn't it? But there's certainly something about him that doesn't seem to comprehend how one of the cops he works with could do something like that...

Maybe it's the contrast of how Flack has seen just about everything at some point, but at the same time still has a bit of that idealism I mentioned. I can see Flack as a teenager knowing a great deal more about the scum of the city than the average kid because of his dad. (I don't think Flack Sr. sheltered Don once he reached a certain age, knowing that he would follow in his footsteps. I wonder if Mama-Flack had a problem with that?) But at the same time, still being distanced in a certain way from the truth of it, he might have had it in his head that he could make a difference and all that.

So yeah, I think Don's a complex person, even if I have no friggin' clue how to articulate what I'm thinking. :lol: Help me out here people! ;) :p

The review for this episode made excellent points about Flack's trust in other people as well as his concern for the 'consequences' of arresting the officer.

Anyway, I just thought I'd bring that quote from the Spoiler thread over here to start a discussion and see what you guys thought about the way Flack acted in "Consequences." :)

crmscnnvstgtr101 said:
Happy Birthday CrimeShark!

Thank you! :)

I think you hit the spot, Faylinn when you said that there is a certain purity about Flack. Usually the cops we see in shows are jaded, and used to making hard decisions. But Flack seems more affected by this, as if he's not used to it yet (I'm gathering all this from S1 and S2). I don't know if it's because he's much younger than, say Brass, or its just who he is - an idealist. But then I would have thought he would know how bad it could get working in the police force from watching his dad (unless he never got involved with his dad's job and never wanted to).

But then I would have thought he would know how bad it could get working in the police force from watching his dad (unless he never got involved with his dad's job and never wanted to).
Exactly, that's why I keep confusing myself. :lol: He's been a cop for probably 10 years at this point (if we're assuming he's in his early thirties, although his age is anybody's guess :lol:), so he's really seen just about everything--the way that he reacts to people and the way he doesn't seem surprised by some of the people they talk to comes to mind. But at the same time I do think there's something in him that's separate from that. Maybe because in both cases--with Moran and now with this other cop (did we ever find out his name? I think one of the names on the computer was "Dean" something but I wasn't watching closely)--the person that's done something wrong is a cop. It might have something to do with Flack's personal integrity--on some level, he expects every cop to respect the badge the way he does, and the way Mac and Flack Sr do.

I'd hate to see how it would affect Don if he found out that his father had ever done something crooked in his time as a cop. :( I tend to doubt it, but you never know.

Fay, you can be very deep when you get talking. I definately agree with you though, Don does take a lot of this very seriously. My guess is that his dad didn't shelter him at all, I have a couple of friends who's dad's are cops and they don't get the sheltered life, so I suspect that Don didn't either.
Oh, and going back a ways, his little lines about food are very cute. :D

*fangirlish giggle* Um, no, no that's not necessary at all. *chuckle* I, er, that is to say, I don't think I, uh, need elaboration. I'll just *giggle*, I'll just pretend I have a clue what you mean. Which I don't, by the way, I'm totally innocent. *shoves horns under hair*
I'm growing a devil's tail as I'm typing this hahahahahah..... maybe this convo is more of a BC material lol....

I think Flack,Jr takes all these seriously because (1)he has big shoes to fill -- having a dad who is an NYPD legend and all; (2)he wants to prove something -- that he's a whole different person than his dad; (3)he simply wants to do his best.

Those are very good reasons. Having a dad so well known as Flack, Sr has got to be tough on him. The expectations would be high and everyone would be waiting for him to screw up.
Except Danny. See, now I'm doing the BC fan girl thing... that and I'm generally not a serious person, and I'm reading fanfic right now so my mind is in the gutter.

Excellent points, chaos, you summed it up perfectly. Also, he takes it seriously because it's what he feels is the right thing to do. Aside from anything that relates to his father or Mac or any other cop, he's doing what he thinks is right. :)

See, now I'm doing the BC fan girl thing... that and I'm generally not a serious person, and I'm reading fanfic right now so my mind is in the gutter.
Hehe, nothing in the world wrong with that, my friend. :lol: I assume the fanfic is naughty, then, to put you in this frame of mind. ;)

Also, he takes it seriously because it's what he feels is the right thing to do.
True. I think it's why he entered the force, first and foremost -- not just to make Papa proud, following his footsteps and all that.

Having Mr. NYPD Legend as a dad is a double-edged sword for him.

CSI_in_training said:
Those are very good reasons. Having a dad so well known as Flack, Sr has got to be tough on him. The expectations would be high and everyone would be waiting for him to screw up.
Except Danny. See, now I'm doing the BC fan girl thing... that and I'm generally not a serious person, and I'm reading fanfic right now so my mind is in the gutter.

Hmmm...that makes me wonder...is Flack so protective of Danny because Danny is such a screw up at times? Eddie mentioned in his latest interview that Danny is Flack's Id (the unrestrained side that reacts completely on emotions), so Flack must see some of himself in Danny (*cough*yes double entendre, BC fans ;) *cough*). But is that why he seems to look out for Danny so often? Because he worries about messing up himself?

I do think Flack is fairly confident. When he went up against Mac in "Consequences" he really held his own, and believed in what he was saying (contrast that to Danny being cowed quickly in the face of Mac's anger/arguments). I think Flack believes in everything he does, but I do wonder if there are times he doubts himself.

^^You make some very good points, especially about Danny being Flack's id. They are so different at times, but they definately share that intense respect for each other, and their work. Flack does believe in what he does, but he probably doubts himself just like anyone else.

Hehe, nothing in the world wrong with that, my friend. I assume the fanfic is naughty, then, to put you in this frame of mind.
Actually it wasn't that naughty...okay, a little bit.

I loved him in this past eppy, the alien.
Me too! The expression on his face was priceless when he saw the so-called "alien". :lol:

Actually it wasn't that naughty...okay, a little bit.
You're not the only naughty one. :devil:

I do think Flack is fairly confident. When he went up against Mac in "Consequences" he really held his own, and believed in what he was saying (contrast that to Danny being cowed quickly in the face of Mac's anger/arguments). I think Flack believes in everything he does, but I do wonder if there are times he doubts himself.

I think the fact that him and Mac are of the same rank gives him a more stable ground to stand on. Unlike Danny, he's Mac's subordinate and talking back and crossing the line might cost him his job.

I believe that he does doubt himself. I mentioned his dad being a double-edged sword for him. His doubts might root from the pressure of having such a father -- "would I make him proud" or "could I satisfy what he/they expect/s of me?"

and believed in what he was saying (contrast that to Danny being cowed quickly in the face of Mac's anger/arguments
I see that. Danny is a little "Okay, fine. I'm sorry" when it comes to Mac, while Flack is more confident. Possibly because he's higher ranked than Danny.

His doubts might root from the pressure of having such a father
Then again, everyone has doubts from time to time... I liked the thing about his father from 'The Fall'-- I'd just love to see an episode with Don Flack Snr. I'd love to see how that works out and how Flack is influenced by that... as I'm sure he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back