Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the finale, bring it on! I was expecting EC drama, but this new spoiler (courtesy of TV Guide) surpasses my expectations. How will their love survive this upcoming ordeal????? I'm telling you, I'm on the edge of my seat. :lol:

Personally I'd prefer that the ECR storyline be left in the dust for the finale and that TPTB focus on Ryan or Natalia or Frank or the team as a whole. The E/C-centric finale is too much drama all at once for a story that's just come into official being after 2 years (or 7 years, depending on how you look at it) in the making.

Oooooh, wait, I see what you did there; you were being facetious! ;) So we're kind of on the same page here, then?

The episode was great in the sense that the balance was finally there & it was fun, but that E/C scene was pointless. Was it sexy? No. Was it romantic? No. Did it remind me of an after-school special? Yepp.
Yes, that's just what I was trying to say! They remind me of a couple high-schoolers experiencing their first crush. It cracks me up! There's just no 'heat' between them. It's nothing like what I'd expect of a romance that's supposedly "been building for 7 yrs".

The scene was supposed to be "lighthearted", not "heated"... as in "sweet and playful", not licking their lips and growling at each other. :rolleyes:

Even during a "light-hearted" scene, a "couple" with good romantic chemistry should still be able to display a certain amount of heat. I've seen these types of scenes played with other characters on this show, & just recently on NY with Flack/Angell. Those 2 (F/A) shared a "fun & playful" scene, & the chemistry was there - that little bit of sexiness shined through even though it was meant to be playful & not "sexual". E/C's didn't come close, imo.
If it weren't for the actual dialouge that was written for them, I would not even suggest that these 2 were even a couple. If you hit "mute", it would not have even looked like a canon couple having a scene, it would've looked like two friends. Calleigh may as well have stood 10 feet away from him, & she didn't even come close to touching him - her boyfriend that she's supposedly so into! I won't even start on Eric who just stood there grinning like a schoolboy who just touched his first booby. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Oooooh, wait, I see what you did there; you were being facetious!
Good call! Yes, I was.

The scene was supposed to be "lighthearted", not "heated"... as in "sweet and playful", not licking their lips and growling at each other.
Yes, I do get that it was supposed to be a "lighthearted", "sweet and playful" scene, and it certainly was "lighthearted". And while I also get that it came off as cute & adorable to some fans, I still hold the opinion that the two came off as a couple of adolescents playing at romance. It's merely a difference of opinion.

As for the "heat", I've never seen anything resembling sexual heat/ chemistry between these two. Again, difference of opinion.

And while I also get that it came off as cute & adorable to some fans, I still hold the opinion that the two came off as a couple of adolescents playing at romance. It's merely a difference of opinion.

As for the "heat", I've never seen anything resembling sexual heat/ chemistry between these two. Again, difference of opinion.

Ditto, asbstract! More and more people online are beginning to voice their opinion that this "romance" just ain't makin' it. The running theme is that these two simply do NOT have any heat/chemisty at all. This hook up was a mistake and TPTB are going to let the show suffer and the actors flounder with this storyline because they refuse to admit this relationship isn't working.

Let's hope the season finale gives everyone a little of what they hope for.

Even during a "light-hearted" scene, a "couple" with good romantic chemistry should still be able to display a certain amount of heat. I've seen these types of scenes played with other characters on this show, & just recently on NY with Flack/Angell. Those 2 (F/A) shared a "fun & playful" scene, & the chemistry was there - that little bit of sexiness shined through even though it was meant to be playful & not "sexual". E/C's didn't come close, imo.

I disagree. A good relationship isn't ALL about heat. Just because two people don't look at each other like prey 24/7 doesn't mean they can't have a good relationship. Personally, I'd be a little offended if that's the way my boyfriend ALWAYS looked at me. If I had a boyfriend right now, which I don't. But let's not get into my non-existent love life right now. :p

If it weren't for the actual dialouge that was written for them, I would not even suggest that these 2 were even a couple. If you hit "mute", it would not have even looked like a canon couple having a scene, it would've looked like two friends. Calleigh may as well have stood 10 feet away from him, & she didn't even come close to touching him - her boyfriend that she's supposedly so into!

Keep in mind, that they were at work when the scene took place. It would've been inappropriate and unprofessional for them to be all over each other. Obviously, a light touch on the arm or something, like Natalia did to point out the rainbow, would've been fine. But not touching each other in one scene doesn't mean their relationship is kaputz.

I won't even start on Eric who just stood there grinning like a schoolboy who just touched his first booby. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

He's with a girl that makes him happy. I see that as sign that the relationship isn't horrible. :lol:

If you're talking about the "sexiest thing I've ever heard" comment, I agree, that was adorable!

Now forgive me for my ignorance, but I don't think I know what exactly you mean by "heat". When I think of "heat" I immediately assume it carries with it a sexual component. American Heritage Dictionary tells me that it means "intensity, as of passion". Synonyms include "excitement" and "sultriness". So... I'm actually glad that Eric and Calleigh aren't oozing unquenchable lust out of every pore during their "romantic" scenes. I'm glad that they keep their distance while on the job.

Since you obviously don't think of the "heat" concept in the same way, I guess that marks the end of the discussion on the grounds that we're not actually discussing the same thing.

If it weren't for the actual dialouge that was written for them, I would not even suggest that these 2 were even a couple. If you hit "mute", it would not have even looked like a canon couple having a scene, it would've looked like two friends. Calleigh may as well have stood 10 feet away from him, & she didn't even come close to touching him - her boyfriend that she's supposedly so into! I won't even start on Eric who just stood there grinning like a schoolboy who just touched his first booby. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

I'm getting mixed messages here. Either experiencing and expressing romance on the job is a good thing (which you seem to be suggesting here) or it's not (as it's been suggested in the past). In a situation where "Calleigh and Eric the couple" exists, and there's no way around it (sort of like the situation we're in right now), which is better? Romance while on the job or no romance while on the job? Or are the two options equally indicative of the "crappiness" of this pair?

The scene was supposed to be "lighthearted", not "heated"... as in "sweet and playful", not licking their lips and growling at each other.
Yes, I do get that it was supposed to be a "lighthearted", "sweet and playful" scene, and it certainly was "lighthearted". And while I also get that it came off as cute & adorable to some fans, I still hold the opinion that the two came off as a couple of adolescents playing at romance. It's merely a difference of opinion.

So it is. *nods* Ya know, I've never actually liked the phrase "agree to disagree"... but it's appropriate for the impasse in which we find ourselves now, so....... we agree to disagree.

More and more people online are beginning to voice their opinion that this "romance" just ain't makin' it.

I must not be looking hard enough. There's you folks, obviously, and......?

This hook up was a mistake and TPTB are going to let the show suffer and the actors flounder with this storyline because they refuse to admit this relationship isn't working.

Objectively not working, or not working in the eyes of some of the beholders?

I wholeheartedly agree.

There are numerous blogs that I visit that deal with CSI Miami that are moderate - not extreme shippers and non-shippers. While they started in the neutral position, the tide began to turn as the relationship has continued. I'm not going to be specific here with which blogs. Sorry. Extremism exists.

Check out TV Guide. Check out Spoiler TV. The people who are less than thrilled with this romance are out there. But we all tend to look and read only where we agree with what's being said. Nobody wants to be attacked for disagreeing and so a lot of times we protect ourselves by spending most of our time with people who feel the way we do about things.

Again, we found a topic where I don't believe we will ever agree so we'll have to agree to disagree and just move on.

I don't expect an E/C fan to even understand what I try to get across in my posts. The thing is, if I was in the Hiphuggie thread going on & on about how adorable these two are, then you all would be right there going "oh I know exactly what you mean...blablabal"!!!
I see it one way, as do the others here in this thread who don't like the pairing - & e/c fans see it differently. Ok. Fine. This isn't a debate thread - why is that not becoming clear?

More and more people online are beginning to voice their opinion that this "romance" just ain't makin' it. The running theme is that these two simply do NOT have any heat/chemisty at all.
I've seen it as well, Delynn. What's interesting is that I haven't seen anyone complain saying they think they're good with other people, ect, ect. From what I've seen it's all the lack of chemistry, & I've seen the words 'juvenile', 'childish', & 'adolescent' come into their comments plenty of times. It just doesn't work on this type of show, & I don't think some people understand that.

I have mixed feelings about the finale. I expected there to be E/C drama, but I can't stand to see it when TPTB play out these stupid scenarios where they make you think one thing & then it's all over with by the premier. Meaning - I don't need to see E & C having some stupid little tiff then to just kiss & make up before November sweeps. :rolleyes:

There's gonna have to be far more going on to get me excited for the new season. This will be the 3rd finale in a row that has featured E/C, & I don't have the slightest interest to see another full season of Eric & Calleigh & how they'll turn over all the obstacles to save their "love". *barf* :rolleyes:

There are numerous blogs that I visit that deal with CSI Miami that are moderate - not extreme shippers and non-shippers. While they started in the neutral position, the tide began to turn as the relationship has continued. I'm not going to be specific here with which blogs. Sorry. Extremism exists.

Check out TV Guide. Check out Spoiler TV. The people who are less than thrilled with this romance are out there. But we all tend to look and read only where we agree with what's being said. Nobody wants to be attacked for disagreeing and so a lot of times we protect ourselves by spending most of our time with people who feel the way we do about things.

Again, we found a topic where I don't believe we will ever agree so we'll have to agree to disagree and just move on.

Alright, no mention of specific blogs. I guess I'll take your word for it.

I've never read TV Guide in my life and I've only checked SpoilerTV for House and Bones information, so I'll take your word on those too.

When I said "I must not be looking hard enough", it was something of a euphemism for "I don't actually seek out opinions on the show and don't really pay much attention when I do find them". I know about this board. I'm vaguely aware of a couple more. Other than that, I've got nothing.

mjszud said:
Ok. Fine. This isn't a debate thread - why is that not becoming clear?

So... you're not gonna answer my question?

I'm going to be honest here and say that the relationship is distracting form my viewing of the show...when I tried watching the ep on Monday I had to do something else when they were on the screen, and then I gave it another shot the other day and I just couldn't do it. :(

Maybe it's because I don't ship or it's just that annoying to me. But really it's effecting how I watch the show...instead of enjoying it I'm waiting to see when I should pick up a book or walk out of the room. And that makes me mad that because two people can't keep their hands off one another that I'm not happy with one of the few shows that I actually watch on tv. :shifty:

I'm going to be honest here and say that the relationship is distracting form my viewing of the show...when I tried watching the ep on Monday I had to do something else when they were on the screen, and then I gave it another shot the other day and I just couldn't do it. :(

Maybe it's because I don't ship or it's just that annoying to me. But really it's effecting how I watch the show...instead of enjoying it I'm waiting to see when I should pick up a book or walk out of the room. And that makes me mad that because two people can't keep their hands off one another that I'm not happy with one of the few shows that I actually watch on tv. :shifty:

Exactly, starzgirl! E/C comes on, in any capacity now - doesn't matter if it's shipper or not - and I get up and switch the laundry over, go to the restroom, go get a snack or channel surf! I've just had enough of those two. Period.

I've gone so far that if spoilers indicate it's an E/C centered episode, I DVR it and watch Castle instead (I really, really like that show!). I wait and read the reviews - from both shipper and non-shippers - and then I decide if I'm going to watch the episode.

The spoilers on the season finale almost had me doing that, but there's a Horatio/Yelina storyline and I've always enjoyed watching those two, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T SHIP THEM - so I'll probably have to do a lot of laundry and channel surfing while watching the season finale. :lol:

Exactly, starzgirl! E/C comes on, in any capacity now - doesn't matter if it's shipper or not - and I get up and switch the laundry over, go to the restroom, go get a snack or channel surf! I've just had enough of those two. Period.

I've gone so far that if spoilers indicate it's an E/C centered episode, I DVR it and watch Castle instead (I really, really like that show!). I wait and read the reviews - from both shipper and non-shippers - and then I decide if I'm going to watch the episode.

The spoilers on the season finale almost had me doing that, but there's a Horatio/Yelina storyline and I've always enjoyed watching those two, EVEN THOUGH I DON'T SHIP THEM - so I'll probably have to do a lot of laundry and channel surfing while watching the season finale. :lol:
I don't watch scenes with them too, it's just annoyed me. One time i have to see this ship cuz Ryan was there, i mean two different mornings in WISC.

Btw, i like Castle too!

I start thinking that tptb show this relationship like this (i mean, they act like teens) because they wanna us to believe that this is their FIRST TRUE LOVE. In some romantic comedy i buy it, when two adult people act like teens, cuz they madly in love. But this is crime show! Do you remember kids who find out that they brother and sister, but they love each other. God, this two kids show relationship more adult then EC :eek: (but it was awful that they killed their father).

silentdisco said:
Keep in mind, that they were at work when the scene took place. It would've been inappropriate and unprofessional for them to be all over each other. Obviously, a light touch on the arm or something, like Natalia did to point out the rainbow, would've been fine. But not touching each other in one scene doesn't mean their relationship is kaputz.
*cough*dreaming on crime scene*cough*

I don't watch scenes with them too, it's just annoyed me. One time i have to see this ship cuz Ryan was there, i mean two different mornings in WISC.

Btw, i like Castle too!

Orla_Dark, you're one of my favorite people! ;)

I start thinking that tptb show this relationship like this (i mean, they act like teens) because they wanna us to believe that this is their FIRST TRUE LOVE. In some romantic comedy i buy it, when two adult people act like teens, cuz they madly in love. But this is crime show! Do you remember kids who find out that they brother and sister, but they love each other. God, this two kids show relationship more adult then EC :eek: (but it was awful that they killed their father).

You know, you're right! Every relationship there has ever been on this show was more convincing that E/C, at least for me. I'm sorry but these are two experienced actors and if they can't do a better job of making this relationship palatable so that people don't have to change channels or leave their television when they come on - something is wrong. It's not fair to the actors to make them keep struggling with this.

silentdisco said:
*cough*dreaming on crime scene*cough*

:lol: :lol: Being at work has NEVER stopped these two before. It's doesn't need to be physical touch to be in your face. Not just day-dreaming on a crime scene (on the plane and while investigating the shooting of the bride), but Calleigh covering for all of Eric stuggling, goo-goo eyes and serving him coffee, ganging up on Ryan together and endless examples presented before. This relationship takes priority over everything for them - including the team. Being at work doesn't stop E/C from their little romantic adventure.

And it appears from the spoilers that we have more "on the job" relationship drama coming up as we get to watch E/C be the focus of the season finale. :rolleyes:

Every relationship there has ever been on this show was more convincing that E/C, at least for me.
There's been a few that hasn't convinced me (H/Marisol, Im lookin' at you), but I could sit through them & they didn't distract me from the show. Other couples I could easily buy though.
E/C will just never convince me. Between Eric needing to be shot in the head to feel something for her that he clearly never felt before, & Calleigh needing to date numerous men & then almost die 5 thousand times in order to "love" him as well, is just not at all convincing in my book.

It's not fair to the actors to make them keep struggling with this.
Or us! ;)

What I find totally unappealing is that Calliegh hasn't had anything going for her character since season 5. If it isn't her being on the brink of death, then it's all about her love life, even the few times there's been something about her job -- it ends up about her love life. That's not at all entertaining to watch on a crime show. I've come to the point that her character leaves me with no interest, with Eric, or without him.

Delynn said:
Being at work has NEVER stopped these two before.
Exactly!
mjszud said:
There's been a few that hasn't convinced me (H/Marisol, Im lookin' at you), but I could sit through them & they didn't distract me from the show. Other couples I could easily buy though.
H\Marisol was sweet, but i still don't get, it was pity to dying woman (it was really sad when she died :() or love? You are right, it didn't distract us and tptb didn't show us this romance in every episode.
mjszud said:
E/C will just never convince me. Between Eric needing to be shot in the head to feel something for her that he clearly never felt before, & Calleigh needing to date numerous men & then almost die 5 thousand times in order to "love" him as well, is just not at all convincing in my book.
Agree with every word. I can understand Eric, he almost died, he start think about relationship more seriously cuz live is short, etc. But i don't understand Calleighs way to this "love". Why she always should be in danger, almost dying, kidnapped, etc for this?

IMO, more posible would be this scenario: he almost dying and now he is serious guy (yes, it's happen on show), she almost lost her best friend, she start help him in job (it was on show too), helping him come back to normal live and she realize that she didn't know him at all. She start feeling something and then realize that she like him, then love him. But for this scenario she shouldn't be in danger all the time. Some of this really happen, but i can believe to your love after all her guys. She knew that Eric feel something for her, but she was don't care, she had Jake. She asked Eric "what do you want?" and in same day date with other guy? And we should believe that she "loved" Eric all this 2 years? And Jake with Terance was just nothing for her? :wtf:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back