Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I may burst your bubble for a moment......

You can count me as at least one shipper who most certainly does not believe that everyone is in love with my preferred couple.

I stand corrected. Thank you. I should have said "IMHO I believe most" E/C shippers. I'll try to chose my words more carefully in the future. :)

Erm... what other fantasies has he had that we know about besides the one in Flight Risk? I know, I know, one was too many, I agree, but... we only know of that one, right?

Perhaps the word fantasies should be changed to the phrase "He is, IMHO, thinking about his relationship with Calleigh every waking moment" (and probably while he's sleeping as well). :) Again, I'll try to chose my words more carefully in the future.

I guess I need to be more careful about qualifying everything.

Isn't she his boss? I mean, I know that Horatio is a boss to them both, but... doesn't she have the authority to decree that gambling problems need to stop without taking it to Horatio?

I'm a "boss" of significantly more people than the character of Calleigh. When one of my staff has an issue that would equal in importance to Ryan's, I would handle it. But I would advise my boss because she needs to know. She has a right to know in case it rears its ugly head and bites her in the ass. When my boss is blindsided by her boss or anyone else by an important issue and I've left her out there because I didn't tell her - then I screwed up! Badly. That is just bad management and it certainly doesn't promote trust between me and my boss. I am blessed with an amazing boss. To not keep her advised of important issues indicates a complete and total lack of respect. I would never, ever disrespect her that way. She deserves the utmost respect because that's what she gives.

That whole situation ended up in Horatio's lap and he looked pretty damned blindsided to me when Yelina showed him that video. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. As Horatio's second in command it's her job to make sure that he's never unaware of important issues affecting the team and the lab. She dropped the ball. That is just the opinion of someone who is a "boss". :)

And this part of this discussion is over for me because it has digressed and doesn't really belong in this thread any longer! And I have promises to keep in that area! :)

From Corey Miller inteview:
Both are great people, with integrity, and with an affinity for family. I could definitely see them settling down at some point.
That means more EC drama in future? Oh god, they marry and soon we see little Delkos running in the lab :(

Both are great people, with integrity, and with an affinity for family. I could definitely see them settling down at some point.
That means more EC drama in future? Oh god, they marry and soon we see little Delkos running in the lab :(

I honestly do not want to see babies running around the lab, unless it's case related. If this happens Miami will turn into a prime time soap opera and that would be the end of this part of the franchise, at least IMO.

I honestly do not want to see babies running around the lab, unless it's case related. If this happens Miami will turn into a prime time soap opera and that would be the end of this part of the franchise, at least IMO.
I hope it's not happen. But also said that what happen now is not soap opera. IMO, it is, with all this "life in danger" stuff and promises that never come true, daydreaming, etc. It is too soapy.

Since when has Calleigh ever looked like she wanted a family of her own? :wtf: wow. I must of missed that, Corey. :rolleyes:

I have to sarcasticly laugh at the answer given as to why they went down the E/C road -- it was time for possibitlites? Funny it wasn't more like an answer that said these 2 were the couple always meant to be, or that their chemistry was just too undeniable to not play on it. Pathetic.
We're all quite aware of what brought on this forced relationship, & it sure as hell was not thier undeniable chemistry or thier lingering love for one another. ;)

But also said that what happen now is not soap opera.
Well, of course we won't hear Corey saying it's a soap opera, nor would we hear him say he thinks they've overkilled the story, or that he thinks Eric & Calleigh are doomed in the future. Just like everyone else, he's going to push out the positive outlook - I wouldn't expect any less, he knows exactly who's reading these interviews.

I honestly do not want to see babies running around the lab
Marrying Eric & Calleigh & throwing babies their way would be a huge NY D/L rip-off. I can see someone like Lindsay knocked up & married -- I cannot see it with Calleigh, the old one or the Barbie CSI we have now.

Sorry, but that made me laugh. :lol: I honestly don't want it to happen (if they get married and have kids, that's fine and dandy, at least in my opinion, just keep the little ones out of the lab), but the idea is somewhat amusing.

And I agree with mjszud that I never saw Calleigh act like she wanted kids some day, at least not to the extent that Eric did. But it doesn't mean she doesn't think about it, or maybe want to. And she did seem pretty good with that little girl in an episode of Season 5, I think it was "Backstabbers".

I think in a way, though, Calleigh is somewhat family-oriented, not in the "get married and have kids" sense, but in being aware of her father and wanting the best for him. Back in "Under the Influence" and "The Best Defense" she tried to help her father out the best she could without crossing the line (though in "Under the Influence" her behavior was a little more shady). Despite his problems, she obviously doesn't want anything bad to happen to him. I think her upbringing and her career make her more cautious about starting her own family, whether it's something she might want to do or not.

I think in a way, though, Calleigh is somewhat family-oriented, not in the "get married and have kids" sense,
I have always seen Calleigh as that type who loves kids but loves them when she could give them back to their parents after a few hours of babysitting. I couldn't ever see her actually pregnant, not with the way her character is being portrayed & how she's always on the field running around. Having her pregnant would be reducing her down even more than they already have. She's already tied down to this relationship, storyline wise -- we rarely see anything else & haven't in the past 2 seasons. Her personal stuff has all been "romance" related or near death, all shoved into 2 seasons. It's very old, & it leaves me with absolutely no interest at all for her character anymore.

So many well written posts to catch up on! Delynn, I loved yours, it was very well expressed. I agree with everything you wrote and understood your meanings without any need for qualification on your part. :)

I, too, agree w/ msjzud. I've never gotten an I can't wait to get married & have kids vibe from Calleigh. That isn't to say she doesn't want either of those things, just that it has never been an obvious thing with her - certainly not the way it has w/ Eric. I imagine her background (not to mention what she deals with every day on the job) makes her somewhat wary of marriage/family. Eric, though, wants the whole 'white picket fence' deal - and wanted it with Calleigh, before they were even 'together' in that sense! The only indication of 'future thoughts' we've ever gotten from Calleigh was her comment to Eric in the nanny episode about having a nanny. Based on her comment about not imagining being able to raise a child without help due to the hours they work, alludes to a couple of things - she's likely imagined the possibility of having a child one day, yet it would appear that she has no plan to leave her job for any length of time. Now it would appear that that goes against Eric's plan to raise his brood without a nanny - but I'm sure tptb will find a way to work that out. As we've seen time & time again, tptb can make the characters say & do whatever fits the storyline they're determined to sell us.

Lastly, a couple questions: Just how many life-threatening, life-altering or near-death scenarios do EC endure before it becomes too tedious or far-fetched for the viewers to swallow (at least for the viewers who aren't already sick of EC)? Isn't the finale much too soon for yet another EC drama designed to bring them closer...or do whatever it is that these scenarios are supposed to do?

Lastly, a couple questions: Just how many life-threatening, life-altering or near-death scenarios do EC endure before it becomes too tedious or far-fetched for the viewers to swallow (at least for the viewers who aren't already sick of EC)? Isn't the finale much too soon for yet another EC drama designed to bring them closer...or do whatever it is that these scenarios are supposed to do?

Ugh, I don't know. I like E/C, and would eventually like to see a little incidence of drama or something to shake things up in their relationship, but this is too soon. Why can't they just let them be quietly happy for a while and give Natalia or Frank a good storyline? The only way to describe my frustration is "fdsklfsklfsdkl"

Exactly what I don't "get" Abstract. I just can't understand thier meaning behind all this - there's a million ways for couples to have conflicts & also show thier personal lives without constantly throwing in death related incidents.
I don't necessarily think it's too soon though, for a conflict at least, & this is where it seemingly becomes one of those things where the romance will & can't ever be in the background. It isn't the right type of show for it. It's either going to always be front & center taking over the lives of these characters, or they'll have to dampen the relationship & make the 2 break up - whether for a short time or for good, who knows. All I know is I honestly can't see them being able to incorporate a happy-go-lucky couple into a show that's based on crime -- yes personal stories need to come to light, but there isn't going to much excitement when the only personal stories Eric & Calleigh have revolve around each other. That is exactly where the burnout comes in, & the story itself dries up.
Personally, after 2+ years of this, I already feel that it's basically run it's course & I have no desire to watch them be forced into redundant situations just in an attempt to keep them dragging.
If 'Miami' was headed for cancellation or their time was running out, then I'd see where the 2 could make it. However, Miami has a long ways to go & that's an incredibly long time to continue playing Eric & Calleigh as the happy couple in the background OR the happy in one episode/tension in the next type garbage for how ever many years the show has left.
Thier "story" feels plenty played out, & DONE, IMO - so MOVE ON!

Lastly, a couple questions: Just how many life-threatening, life-altering or near-death scenarios do EC endure before it becomes too tedious or far-fetched for the viewers to swallow

Maybe I'm just being too practical, but I just thought of something.

I'd hate to see Eric and Calleigh's insurance premiums! :guffaw::rolleyes:

Ok I won't quote anything you already said b/c it would take too much time to me since I haven't been for a while.

I came just to say a few things :D

First of all I read the spoiler & I can't say that I was expecting anything else. I can't really say it b/c it was pretty obvious where they were heading to.
All I can say is that I truely hope this "experience" will make Calleigh reflect on her idea of Eric as the safe man. Let's face it. She chose him b/c she considered him much safer than Jake or any other man she's been w/. Eric Delko isn't too different :rolleyes:

I also watched the last episode & I have to say that the lighhearted scene left me a little bit :wtf:.
People would think that I enjoyed it & will go on saying that also non-e/c fans enjoyed it. Well of course I didn't enjoy it at all, also because it was pretty useless especially after these last years :lol:.
The thing which left most shocked, was Eric telling Calleigh to get back to work, as much as he was enjoying her comment.....are you kidding??? :wtf:
As far as I know he's the most unprfoessional person of the world & he was the one who followed her w/ those puppy dog eyes...& now she's the one who gets distracted by him, just b/c they're together?
I mean you'r not w/ a person & you don't want to stay w/ him/her & once you start a relationsp w/ this person, you completely change your personality????

Don't get me wrong, but this scene left me a little bit :wtf:.

People would think that I enjoyed it & will go on saying that also non-e/c fans enjoyed it. Well of course I didn't enjoy it at all

Well, you can count me in on it too, honey. I could have done without the scene, & it didn't belong in the episode. There's no need to constantly show them as a "couple". If it isn't them always working side by side all the time to cram it in our faces, it's showing them in some God-awful scene trying way too hard to look like they're into each other.
The episode was great in the sense that the balance was finally there & it was fun, but that E/C scene was pointless. Was it sexy? No. Was it romantic? No. Did it remind me of an after-school special? Yepp. ;)

I also watched the last episode & I have to say that the lighhearted scene left me a little bit :wtf:.
People would think that I enjoyed it & will go on saying that also non-e/c fans enjoyed it. Well of course I didn't enjoy it at all, also because it was pretty useless especially after these last years :lol:.
Well, I only just got around to watching the ep myself, & all I can say is that I found it cheesy. However, I'm pleased the pair weren't joined at the hip for the entire ep - an improvement I hope tptb will continue, although I'm not expecting it. I much preferred EC's season 1 & 2 relationship, it was much less cheesy. Since they began this epic romance of theirs, they come off like a couple of adolescents playing at grown up romance.

As for the finale, bring it on! I was expecting EC drama, but this new spoiler (courtesy of TV Guide) surpasses my expectations. How will their love survive this upcoming ordeal????? I'm telling you, I'm on the edge of my seat. :lol:

The episode was great in the sense that the balance was finally there & it was fun, but that E/C scene was pointless. Was it sexy? No. Was it romantic? No. Did it remind me of an after-school special? Yepp.
Yes, that's just what I was trying to say! They remind me of a couple high-schoolers experiencing their first crush. It cracks me up! There's just no 'heat' between them. It's nothing like what I'd expect of a romance that's supposedly "been building for 7 yrs".

Last edited:
It's not that non e/c fans enjoyed it(at least not this non e/c fan) I was happy that there was more airtime for other characters and they were not joined at the hip throughout the episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back