Episode #512 'Internal Affairs' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

midnight_tiptoes said:
Also, I'll give some kudos to Eva La Rue for her final scene. She was alright.

She was really good in that last scene.

I get the feeling the writers were trying to explore Natalia's conflicting feelings towards Nick, but the writing wasn't good enough to get that point across. It seemed like Natalia was a pseudo-masochist. Dude, the guy BROKE YOUR ARM! You had to flee your home because he was violent and unpredictable. Stop. Sleeping. With. Him. I'm sorry, but it didn't work at all. I know abused women go back to their spouses all the time, but how long have Nick and Natalia been apart? In my experience, time and distance helps these women move on and also grow a spine. Nick isn't even charming, so why Natalia went back to him? Made no sense to me. Also, he fucking beat her up. I don't care how many "good" years they had, it's not okay. I really wanted her to break that picture in two at the end. "Let's concentrate on the good" is the main reason why abused women keep going back to their husbands and why many of them die. That was a really awful message for this show to get across.

That bothered me, too. It sent a really bad message, and I was surprised Horatio wasn't like, "Seriously, you're better off without him." That being said, it was nice to see some shades of grey in a Miami ep--so often things are really black and white in this show. Yeah, Nick was an ass and mostly horrible to Natalia, but that doesn't mean she wanted him dead. It was nice to see some emotion, some conflict there.

Also: I really, really hate Jake. Get a haircut, you lazy hippie!
emot-argh.gif

I didn't hate him before this episode, but he really grated on my nerves this time around. He's pretty freakin' hot, though. :eek:

One thing that did bug me: Valera. What kind of woman goes out with a co-worker's ex-husband in the first place, especially after the woman told her he's dangerous? I've got to say, Natalia took that really well, given that what Valera did was pretty shitty. And stupid. :rolleyes:

I did like how the team handled the case overall though. THey stepped back...but not totally. And I was cheering when H basically schooled Jake. A lot of Horatio's lines have felt kind of canned this season, but in this episode I thought he was awesome.

One thing that did bug me: Valera.

That did bug me a little bit, but not totally, because I thought that, as weird as it was, it was kind of in character. Valera can be a little bit clueless sometimes. She's a lot like Ryan in that sense. They're both huge social dorks. So people like Nick and Erica come along, and even though they're totally bad for Ryan and Valera, they date them because... well, it's people who want to spend time with them and I think that as crazy as Valera is, she's kinda lonely. There's this gorgeous guy who she has a good time with vs TV dinners and TBS movies. How many times can you watch Runaway Bride before you start storing jars of your own urine?

But the first Natalia/Valera scene was really bad, bad, bad. Like 90210 bad. I don't know if Valera is just kinda stupid or Natalia was too vague. I think it was just a little bit of both. "He's dangerous," okay, that could mean he a) likes to do 55 in a school zone b) steals bottles of Clorox from work c) he's gonna bust your skull. Next time, a tad more detail could've worked. I'm gonna choose to believe that Valera just wasn't aware of how dangerous Nick was. Seemed that as soon as she realized that Natalia meant he's an actual abuser, she didn't let him subdue her and kicked his ass. Thank God for that, too. I don't think Valera's the damsel in distress type.

I'm still somewhat amazed that in the CSI world, 911 doesn't seem to exist. This happens on CSI: NY all the time and it pisses me off. Killed someone? Was it an accident? Was it self-defense? CALL 911 and avoid 25 year of grueling, ass raping jail. Simple as that. Why are these characters stupid?

^Good point, and I liked that Valera kicked his ass. But she did seem awfully clueless...even if Natalia was really vague. And she broke the girl code, dammit! :lol: You don't date a friend/co-worker's ex period, in general, but definitely not without asking permission first.

And Nick...ew. I can't believe he had one woman wanting him, let alone two.

I used to have SUCH a huge crush on Rob Estes when Silk Stalkings was on. I was totally addicted to that show. But he's kinda nasty here. Well, Nick is. Ew. Rob, though? Um, yeah, I'd hit it.

Everything Natalia/Valera was very Maury-esque. "Are you a jealous ex-wife whose friend is sleeping with your abusive ex-husband and you want him all to yourself despite the fact that he constantly beats you to a bloody pulp? Call now!"

Top41 said
One thing that did bug me: Valera. What kind of woman goes out with a co-worker's ex-husband in the first place, especially after the woman told her he's dangerous? I've got to say, Natalia took that really well, given that what Valera did was pretty shitty. And stupid. :rolleyes:

No worse than Ryan going out with Natalia after she and Delko put on the brakes, but at least Ryan asked Delko about it.

All I know is that Jake Berkley looks like Eric the punk from Head of the Class (late 1980s show). I just can't respect him because of that alone. I keep on expecting Howard Hessman, or Maria Bega, or Robyn Givens, or ARVID or JAHAURAL or little Janice to walk in and say "Mr. Moore wants you back at Fillmore High School NOW, Eric!!!" hee hee hee

Anyway, some elements of the episode didnt' work for me, though Erik Delko's posturing and Ryan's holding him back seemed to be in character. Plus, given all the mess-ups Ryan's had, he's clearly learned his lesson and handled the DNA thing properly.

One thing though: They really seemed to want to make the Miami Night Shift look as bad as the Vegas Day Shift. WTF was up with that, man? Gimme a break!!!

There was one good thing about this episode.......it was funny watching Horatio making Jake look totally incompetent and doing his work for him.

The rest was a bit mediocre.

Jake Busey is getting more and more like his dad each time I see him in something.

ooooooooooooook. I really don't buy that Natalia was sleeping with Nick. How weird is that.
They've been apart for at least a year, and then some, and he terrorizes her.

duh.

NOT LIKE THAT PART AT ALL.

otherwise, the story was surprisingly well done.

Can somebody clear something up for me. Nick was in jail, right? I'm sure Natalia said it earlier in the season. When did he get let out? The entire plot seems to have escaped me this minute. I don't buy the whole sleeping with him thing either. Is she that desperate/needy?

I would like to comment on Horatio’s comments to Natalia at the end. As someone who was hit once by my ex-fiancé, you experience a lot of self doubt at your choice, after the fact. Why didn’t I see that coming? Why didn’t I expect that? This can cause you to second guess any future choices you make in regard to the guys you choose to date. If left alone, the doubt can lead to fear – fear you’ll make another bad choice. To avoid this, you choose not to date at all because it’s just going to turn out the same. Abuse starts slow. Now I’m speaking as someone who was hit once. However, when I reflected back over the time I spent with him I realize the writing was on the wall. I think I’m smarter now and would be able to recognize it. Yet, I’m not ashamed to say there were good times and I’m not ashamed to have enjoyed those. I think H was giving her that same permission which took me years to.

Also, H was not about to lecture her when she was feeling down already.

I am glad Nick is gone. He was a total slime ball. Someone please slap Natalia for sleeping with him. However,it does explain why they were all flirty in the opening sequence of the episode. But why??? Why sleep with the guy?? What the hell is wrong with you? And then she gets jealous when she finds out he has a date...I mean I know the statistics that a lot of abused woman go back to their abuser but Nick must have been one hell of a charmer for her to go back.

I said this in an earlier post about Eric not saying anything in Natalia's defense when the they brought her cuffed into the building....but the fact that Eric didn't say anything just goes to show that he really doesn't trust her enough to out right say she didn't do it....and then he and Calleigh buried her even more with their testimonies.

I love it!! :p

ClarkF1 said:
Jake Busey is getting more and more like his dad each time I see him in something.

Actually, Jake Busey does NOT talk to his dad and can't stand his because of his overall psycho repuation. Jake Busey is taller than his dad, in better shape, doesn't abuse booze or drugs and is more laid back than his dad as well. He's also played some really funny roles in Tomcats, Starship Troopers and as Dennnis (yep, with 3 N's) on the sitcom Shasta McNasty.

However, Jake also has to pay the bills as well, so he has to sometimes take bit parts on shows in order to do that. It's unfortunate that TPTB want to put him into roles that make you think of his psycho dad. That sucks for him, because Jake's really a great guy.

I loved the ep. Thought they all did an oustanding job. Am wondering if things will change between Valera & Natalia now cause of her sleeping with Nick? As far as that goes I give her the benefit of the doubt on why she did. Maybe went to talk to him & well..........he got mean. Who knows. There are alot of love/hate relationships & well........there's could've been one of them. I really loved the ending. I thought wow good for you H. I saw alot of the old H in this ep. Also to me we didn't need Rick Stetler. Jake did a very good job playing his part. LOL the old scum bag. LOL He played it well to. Next week must be a repeat again? GRRRR Tired of repeats.

Back