Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Re: The Writers Strike - What's your opinion?

You may post it wherever you wish, but I don't want any links to other boards. Let them chew on me where I can't see. If I get embroiled in a fapfest, I'll never do anything else.

2. Missing

Missing Pathologist

I guess I would just like to say that at just about any job, there are workers who have an idea that benefits the company but never get compensated for it. I have heard at what the writers make and would like to see them work like any other John Doe out there who is trying to support a family (of four for example) on say $12 bucks an hour.

Of course this kinda goes hand in hand with how riduculous some of the actors get paid an episode. Really $100,000 an episode--I don't see even half that in a year of gross wages.

3. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Great post, La_Guera and I agree with you too, Missing. Hmm $12 an hour is a lot to me even. :lol: I wish I made that much, only when I do Overtime which is every week just to make extra. Yeah I can't feel for either side anymore at all. One reason I do not like Unions, they have tried to get into my work place but most of us have turned them down because they can be more of a headache overall than good. And then to pay fees to them when I hard make a dime myself...I don't think so.

4. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Hey Dizz...Unions can be a real headache, that I know all to well. I am a carpenter by trade, but am NOT with the union for I feel they are no benefit to me. They hassled me all through school to join, which just pissed me off and the monthly fees are ridiculously outrageous. Plus my father is going through a 2 year old legal dispute when his union rep and union in general screwed him over and left him out to dry.

I am not saying that all unions are like that, and it do help having them on your side when fighting for your rights, but this is getting ridiculous, what's going on between the the two groups, and as I stated before, the impact on thousands of others not directly involved SHOULD be brought to everyone's attention.

Maybe for Christmas there will be a nice deal worked out for both sides to agree on. Then things can slowly get back to the way it used to be. I know that's wishful thinking and highly unlikely, but hey...one can dream :lol:

5. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

Re: Writers Strike - Is it going to have an effect on TV sho

i DEFFINATLY agree with the writers, but no i dont think that they are handeling it afficiently considering how long its been going on for, they need to at least make an effort to resolve this...i NEED my csi..my friends and that 70's show all got cancelled, I CAN NOT LOSE CSI!! and i already lost Sofia and Sara...dang my luck sucks sh**

6. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

CSI is not going to get cancelled, because it the top show of the rating. 70's show didn't get cancelled, it was the series finale, they just finish the show, they were done, like the Friends show, they just retired it.

7. Aude

Aude Victim

Thought CSI Miami was the most popular ?.. :rolleyes: however and whatever...didn't stop the show to be cancelled on last thursday along with Boston Legal.."shut down"... read this on both Yahoo and Google news.. :mad: yea that sux :( :mad: :eek:

8. candygirl1uk

candygirl1uk Pathologist

I think that the writters strike could and is inflicitng across the pond where i live in England... Because of contractual rights does the writers strike now mean the season will be delayed in showing in England?

The simple reason that when they do come back, and England does start to show Season 8, then it will be almost at the same point in the season...

This is a worrying thing, so lets hope that its all cancelled and normal viewing returns after christmas.... But somehow I doubt it a lot.

Look at Heroes, I read that they had to cut season 2 in half, simply becuase of the writters strike in America?

9. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Hi and welcome to talkCSI, Aude! The rules state you can either have text or a banner in your signature. Also, your banner is a bit too big. The maximum size is 75 pixels high and 220 pixels wide. Please resize it. Thanks. :)

10. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

Aude, first welcome to the CSI Thread. CSI: Miami is still popular, they just shut down, not cancelled, like Boston Legal, they shut down their door. They won't be cancelled, they are still popular show, like the original CSI, NY. and Cold Case, they are popular show. They will be back or whatever they be back on the air.

Shut down and Cancelled are two different thing. Leslie Moovnes or something won't cancelled that show.

I always read at Yahoo to see what the writers are going to do.

11. Aude

Aude Victim

[/QUOTE]
    Hi and welcome to talkCSI, Aude! The rules state you can either have text or a banner in your signature. Also, your banner is a bit too big. The maximum size is 75 pixels high and 220 pixels wide. Please resize it. Thanks. :)

[/QUOTE]

Oh ok thanks for pointing this out ...will sort this out soon.. ;)

12. Aude

Aude Victim

Oh thank you bunchies for enlighten me ! greatly relieved !! so yea the show must go on and CSI Miami is till on and running..but still pending in the meantime...kinda wait & see then..ok...such good news... :cool:

13. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Also Aude, there's an edit button at the top of your post beside the reply button. This allows you to edit your previous post 24 hours after you posted it. Instead of making multiple posts right after the other, we use the edit button to add what we want to say in there. It helps reduce spamming. Please use the edit button in the future. Thanks.

14. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

You know what would be really funny? If this totally backfired on the writers. I'd like to see the studios get fed up with them and just start to replace them with people who AREN'T members of the WGA. Another group could be created. History could be made here. Not to mention it would show the writers something. ;)

Before you say it's not possible, let me remind you that there ARE people out there that call themselves writers but are not members of the union. Thus far, the studios haven't gone that route because they thought this strike would be settled, but it probably won't be until at least the late winter-early spring the way I see it, and by that time the studios will start to lose money (at the present time, they aren't). Besides, certain shows need some new blood...

15. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Actually, I think California labor laws prohibit the hiring of non-union workers, so I don't think the studios can hire "scabs". If they could, they would've by now.