Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

This is what Top41 posted in the NY board. I think it'd be interesting to discuss what you think will happen to your favourite TV shows now that the Writers' Guild of America is on strike (beginning in a few hours). Post your thoughts!

2. SunsetBoulevard

Re: Writers Strike - Is it going to have an effect on TV sho

Writers Strike Could Cost Actors Jobs

As wildfires raged throughout Southern California last week, entertainment-industry professionals fretted and strategized about what many perceive as another potential catastrophe: an increasingly likely Writers Guild of America strike that would shut down hundreds of productions indefinitely, and the possibility that actors and directors may also strike when their contracts expire next summer.

Full article (thanks to EricaSJ)

3. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I really hope it does not last long. I hate the thought of our TV screens being all reality TV shows. I am not a fan overall of reality TV shows. I like diving into my non-reality TV world every night.

4. midnightbellzza

midnightbellzza Coroner

I just died a little on the inside. I really hope it's not very long, fore I do not watch TV when it is reruns and the only reality show I watch is Kid Nation (I know, I'm cool aren't I? :lol:) My life seems like a dramatic reality show already, why watch one when I'm living one? I just hope they reach an agreement...

5. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Well the last one in '89 lasted 22 weeks. I was too young to remember it but I know the family watched a lot of movies.

From what I've read the writers aren't getting anything for the sale of the eps on DVDs, reruns, or on sites like ITunes. Which to me seems a bit out there, contracts can be amended at any time. Clauses and rewrites have been popular since the writing of the constitution.

The thought of the channels filling up with reality shows makes me wonder what direction tv is really going in. Have the days of sitcoms and dramas been replaced with people fighting and throwing things because they didn't win a challenge or the love of someone? Or do people like reality shows because they can live life though someone else who wants to get their 15 minutes of fame for standing on a log in the middle of the jungle?

I really hope that some sort of agreement can be made, everyone can get along, and go back to making awesome scripted tv shows.

6. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

The problem is we live in such a greedy world. The people who make all the big money do not want to give any of it up. It is the same everywhere. I work for a huge company and we get paid squat and we make that company tons of money in our jobs.

7. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Here's an ad called Pencils Down Means Pencils Down. It's basically a list of show runners that are also writers and while they will still be doing their other duties they will not be writing. Both CSI and CSI New York are on the list. CSI Miami is not and I guess that means that none of their show runners are writers?

On another note do the writers realize that if the strike goes on long enough that they are going to drive us to buying DVD's, the very medium they want residuals from, before they have a contract. Then when shows do finally come up with new episodes those DVD sales will probably go down.

Susan

8. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Either way it seems no one side is going to be happy, sadly we are the ones stuck with the reality that we might not have new eps after January.

Perhaps splitting everything right down the middle is something they could look into. But then again there might be an issue with that. I just hope they reach peace soon, or like blackflag said we'll go out and buy the DVDs to feed out minds until eps return.

9. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I do hope that this strike is not a long one. Without knowing all the details there has to be a happy medium that the two sides could come up with. Instead of a whole penny try half a penny. I have heard that the actors are watching this very closely because their contract is up next June. It's not fair that we the fans have to suffer through this work stoppage. Don't the writers etc realize that the fans in the long run pay their salaries. We can fun other ways of entertaining ourselves. I guess you can tell I'm not a lover of unions.

10. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

I am so worried about scrubs. This is the last season of the show, and it is already a shortened season. They were going to do 18 episodes to wrap up the series, and they were planning on some great stuff. It would be really crappy if they just ended it as is.

11. church2001

church2001 Witness

For those who remember (or have the DVDs), the second season of Star Trek TNG had a rather lackluster second year (but some individual episodes were wonderful) due to the writer's strike. The producers had to break out some old scripts from the never-produced Star Trek Phase 2 series and the season ended with a clip show. So that's why this current strike has me worried.

12. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

That's a good point. Another thing I also posted in the NY forum is that the AMPTP (producers) are gonna lose a lot more money by not negotiating with the writers and giving up a cut of the profit than if they were just to give them a cut of the DVD revenue.

Silly people.

13. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

14. SunsetBoulevard

Thanks for the article, Hormiga. Wow, they didn't list Private Practice. I wonder why. It's a brand new show, yeah, but still... :rolleyes: Nor they listed CSI:LV. This is sort of a disaster to American TV, I mean, continued in January and February? Oh dear.

15. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I noticed they missed CSI:LV also. The list also missed CSI:NY and NCIS. I think all I watch these days are shows that are listed as initials only :D. But seriously I wonder what will happen to the shows. I've already seen that 24 will not start filming in January. Things are not looking good and it's only day 4 :( Come on people you don't want to drag this out like you did in 1988.