Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Re: The Writers Strike - What's your opinion?

Thanks for the link, Dizzney.

Still a lot of sitting and waiting but it's good to see that they have been having positive talks for the past few days.

Come on studios and accept the conditions reruns are alright, but they are more a summer thing!

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Here's hoping it will be a Merry Christmas for everyone with a new contract for the writers. And then everyone will be going back to work.

3. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Hope I can word this the right way.

Givin that the SAG contract is up in June (at some point). Does anyone know the absolute final date that the strike can end and there can still be at least close to a complete season of the TV shows? I'm just curious! :)

Susan

4. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

^ I think you worded that question perfectly, blackflag. I'm curious as to the final date, myself.

Honestly, I'm hoping there's progress soon. I'm partial to the WGA; IMO, there wouldn't be a product to watch without them.

5. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

I read an article about how long it'll take to produce shows again when the strike'll end: Strike hangover could last a while.

6. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

7. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

good thing american idol is going to be on again...

8. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Good to see the studios and writers are getting what they want for Christmas. [/sarcasm]

If they don't come to some sort of agreement tv is going to suck for months, even years.

9. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

I am all for fighting for ones rights to get what is deserved, and I do respect the writers for what they are doing. No one should EVER be taken advantage of, or be forced into pay-cuts etc. But I think its time that both sides really take a moment to think of the lively hoods of the thousands of other employees that are indirectly forced into this predicament, by no choice of their own, and insist on working out a compromise to get things back to a somewhat normal setting. These thousands of employees have families to look after, and were depending on their employment to make ends meet.

anyway, that is just one of many personal opinions that I'd share!

10. byline

byline CSI Level One

Re: Writers Strike - Is it going to have an effect on TV sho

Contrary to what people may believe, writers do not live a life of luxury. The norm for most writers is that they live very much a "by the seat of their pants" existence, and work is not available on a consistent basis. As a result, income is very hit or miss.

The WGA is striking to get sufficient residuals on DVD and Internet distribution of writers' work, much the way songwriters and book authors receive royalties for their published/publicly performed works. Here's a good YouTube video that explains it: WGA video

Folks may not like the impact the strike is having on their favorite TV shows, but the writers are on the side of right in this issue. I'm hoping that the networks and producers finally see the light and give them what they're entitled to.

I would take with a grain of salt anything reported in the media about the writers' strike. The reason for that is because there is very little in the way of independent journalism anymore, as the media are owned by the very same corporations that own the studios. Conflict of interest? I would say so.

I've also read from WGA sources that talks between the WGA and the studios broke down on Friday, and the studios have hired, and are paying big money to, political and PR gurus to create a smear campaign against the WGA. So it sounds like things are going to get a lot uglier.

11. daphne

daphne Civilian

Re: Writers Strike - Is it going to have an effect on TV sho

Hi Everyone,
    My name is daphne, and I'm the liaison to the WGA for CSI. Currently I am working with other fandoms to try and put pressure on the Moguls to end the strike with a fair compensation package for the WGA. My job is to communicate projects, news and links to the CSI fandom so I am seeking out message boards and online communities that have a vested interest in seeing our CSI writers (actors and crew too!) get back to work.

I am hoping to enlist your help in a few projects as a means to that end. We have identified the major sponsors of CSI, and have a writing campaign in the works. If you guys would be interested in helping out, I could post two sponsors to contact about every other day. It is your option whether you want to use snail mail, email, or the phone. I have already gathered the contact information, and will provide template letters and emails. We have already achieved a small measure of success with SC Johnson Wax as they are considering pulling their ads.

If you have any questions you can contact me: daphne.dangerlove@gmail.com

I would like to leave you with the opportunity easily send a letter to the Moguls regarding the strike: Click here to go to firedoglake.com: Firedoglake-WGA. It's easy and quick. You can use the text they have, add to it or write your own.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Let's get our writers back to work!
    daphne.

12. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

I am so sick of people saying that. Yes, we all realize that without the writers there wouldn't be a show. But you know what? It's not like they're the only people you could say that about. If there weren't any actors there wouldn't be a show, if there wasn't a studio there wouldn't be a place to film it, if there wasn't a network there wouldn't be a place to showcase the damn product. By saying that "without the writers there wouldn't be a show" people are completely minimalizing that concept. It's like saying without a coach there wouldn't be a baseball team. Well, what good is the team without players?

I completely agree with what DJRideout said. I think (hope) that as this strike drags on more people will begin to realize that. The writers did not think about all the people they're hurting with this. So far the biggest effect we've seen is on the crews, who I really feel for in all this, but one of those articles mentioned the Los Angeles economy. How many people live in the city of Los Angeles? How many people across the United States and the rest of the world do business in Los Angeles? At this point it's time for the writers to stop going, "Me Me Me", and think: Nobody who has been caught in the crossfire here (I'd also point out that the writers don't have a scratch on them because of the strike as of yet) asked for it. The only way to limit the amount of damage the writers are doing to the innocent citizens is to TAKE THE DAMN DEAL. And some of you may say "What deal? The AMPTP took the deal off the table". Well, let's think about this for a second. If you borrow a pair of your mother's earrings, then you lose one, but she never knew you took them (then I guess it would be "stealing" not "borrowing") you're not going to tell her. It's very easy to say you would have done this or that. Truth is, if the AMPTP hadn't walked back in and ended talks before the WGA had a chance to respond they could have refused it. We don't know and we never will.

13. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

We're discussing the writers strike; as such, that's what I chose to address. It is true that a movie, TV show, etc. is a team product. However, if writers were not creating the screenplays and scripts, then the studios wouldn't have projects to green light; actors wouldn't have lines to rehearse or speak; and networks wouldn't have shows to put on the air (which is what we, the viewers, are facing now). The actors guild contract comes up for negotiation (next summer, I believe). If those negotiations fail, then the actors will be in the same position as the writers. Should the writers be back to work, it won't matter how many scripts they've written if there are no actors to go before the cameras. A sports team is only functional if all players are on the field and morale is high.

14. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

When the strike started, I was solidly behind the writers. I've spent most of my life being screwed over by government agencies and enormous conglomerates. I wanted the writers to be fairly compensated for the work they do and the playgrounds with which they have provided countless fandoms.

However, the more I read at blogs like DeadlineHollywoodDaily, the more rapidly my support eroded. For every reasonable voice, there were ten talking out of both sides of their asses. For instance, Writer X would comment to an entry that Big Media was ruining his family and his children would have no Christmas. In a subsequent entry, Writer X would mention that he was going to wear a strike t-shirt to his child's exclusive private school, the same school the children of wealthy, EVIL producers attended, and which cost a ridiculous sum.

If the premise in the latter post is true, then how can Writer X plead poverty?

Likewise, many writers seem to be chastising crew members and members of other, non-striking unions for expressing concern for the future of their careers and family. If anyone dares to say that they could lose everything because of this strike-a strike over which they had no control-they're instantly branded a muck-raking, corporate shill and told that they should have set up a strike fund.

This coming from the same writers who've been pleading poverty and swearing that they live paycheck to paycheck. If it's so easy to squirrel away money in L.A., then why aren't the writers sitting pretty instead of moaning about the bad old studios and reminding anyone who'll read that Les Moonves, et al single-handedly screwed their kids out of Christmas? The writers, members of the WGA, were in the best position to know that a strike was imminent, yet they did nothing. They could've set up a strike fund to help their most impoverished members, but they didn't because they bought into the notion that they're the only driving force behind the creative process and assumed Big Media would cave. If they weren't making enough to set up a general strike fund, then they can't wag their pompous fingers at BTLers who make less than they do for not doing the same thing.

The moguls have been asses, yes, but the WGA hasn't acquitted itself much better. It's bullied and derided other guilds like the DGA and IATSE, all while asking them to sacrifice their jobs in a show of solidarity with them. They've been condescending, dismissive, and arrogant with crew members and don't seem to give a damn that they will eventually have to work with these people again. Their attitude is, "I expect you and your family to put my possible future gains ahead of your definite and immediate losses, and in return, I offer you nothing but meaningless thanks."

Yeah. Their cause may be just, but their attitude and execution are lousy, and I no longer care who's more EVIL or more nobly oppressed. Everyone is behaving like wankers, and my only interest now is in how much mutual butt-kissing both sides will do when the dust settles. Want to bet that the same writers who are dismissing the crews as irrelevant little people will be wondering why the sets no longer boast a familial atmosphere?

Asses, the job lot of them, and I plan on doing a great deal of writing and reading next year in lieu of watching TV. If that goes well, there might not be a need to turn on the set again, period.

15. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

*stands up and applauds*

La_Guera, thank you so much for that. You took everything I was thinking and said it a million times better than I ever could have. Every person who is pro-Writers needs to read your post. Every single one. In fact, do you mind if I post this on a board where there are some people that have really caked their heels in on this issue? I promise full credit will go to you here. I'm just so impressed. And relieved. Relieved that somebody said it, and said it right.