Directors/Writers/SAG Contracts & The Effects

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, Nov 4, 2007.

1. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

Re: Writers Strike - Is it going to have an effect on TV sho

I actually asked a similar question over in the NY forum, but no one had an answer. I'm hoping someone here can fill me in.

Since DVDs on the shelves feature shows/eps that were completed under the '88 contract, wouldn't the writers/actors/directors/producers/whoever else receive the residuals agreed upon under that '88 contract?

I would think the new contract, when hammered out and ratified, wouldn't be applied retroactively. If the WGA could make that happen I'd be amazed.

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

HMMM, a tough call.. I liked Zuikers comments.. I guess I'd have to go with what the writers are asking for, after if it wasn't for them, we'd have no fabulous shows, and how big of a deal is it really? are their demands that far out of a compromise, if they back down, they're be alot of unhappy writers won't there?

3. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

You know, desert, I back the writers 100%! Yes, it takes many components to create a great show. However, if the writers didn't bring awesome scripts and dialogue to the table, the actors wouldn't have a word to say; the directors wouldn't have anything to direct; and producers wouldn't have anything to produce. You'd better believe writers are the wheels that keep the Hollywood machine rolling.

It's no more than fair that their residuals increase with respect to technological advances. The writers must feed their families, and by negotiating strong contracts now they're guaranteeing a solid foundation for their retirements and their families' futures. We all know Hollywood careers don't last a lifetime. The writers are acting in a logical and prudent manner.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, one of the reports said it was important for WGA to negotiate a strong contract now, because other unions' contracts will be coming up for negotiation in the coming months. In fact, I believe the actors' union contract will be expiring next summer.

4. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

i just heard from someone that Steve Carell won't cross the picket line, so apparently there is only one or two episodes ready to air. It sounds like we won't get the Office for awhile.

5. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

^ That's true. Plus 24 won't be shown at all. Fox wants to make sure all 24 eps will be able to run consecutively.

6. LibertyBell

LibertyBell Police Officer

I think the whole thing is stupid. I mean, seriously, the studios are fighting them over 1-2%, pick your battles!

What nobody on either side has seemed to realize though, the fans, the people that are really suffering, will get fed up with the shows, and when/if the shows do come back on they might stop watching, which will lead to said fans not buying the DVDs. Cause and effect people. Cause and effect.

7. Charity

Charity Police Officer

I too am with the writers. I think it should have gone without saying in the first place that they be paid for all these other mediums. If you pay X for each airing of an episode it shouldn't matter the format, new or old. An episode is still an episode.

And it's not just them; anyone who works for a large company probably understands this. Your company turns a huge profit over last year and all the corporate employees get big fat bonus checks; and did you, the employees who actually generated those profits, get a raise? Of course not. You probably didn't even get a thank you.

8. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Yep that is what I was saying, Charity. I know I found out I have made over $5 million dollars for the company I work for this year and I get such a minor fraction of that it is pathetic. It's the same with all big companies, the rich get richer and the poor stay poor.

9. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

I just hope it gets resolved as quiclky as possible. With both sides giving in. It is a two way thing!

And I THINK I get it from both sides. If the studio go along with this completly with what the WGA wants in upcoming period when all other contracts ran out those guilds will go to strike too. Then we won;t have any show left because the studio's will run out of money and all guilds are on a strike. And for that matter... The studio's do make more money from the other media's so the writers should get some of that too!

I just want to have a full season this year! :(

Just imho :rolleyes:

10. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

11. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Thanks for the link Hormiga. Well we know the updates on Miami and MY but nothing on Vegas.

Seeing no one is budging, guess it's time to go out and get the DVD sets that I'm missing and get ready to time travel.

12. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Found this over on TWP.

CSI has 9 ep's filmed out of 24
    CSI Miami has 13 ep's filmed out of 24
    CSI NY has 11 ep's filmed out of 24

episodes filmed

I think it gives the number of episodes filmed for most (if not all) shows.

Susan

13. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

NBC fired over 100 crew workers of the office, and they are threatening the same for the tonight show. It is getting ugly...a lot of lives are going to be ruined by this...

14. edog

edog Lab Technician

I don't understand how the studios benefit from firing crew members. Unless of course, the less people working will help balance out payroll? I dunno. It just confuses me.

I'm saddened these people are losing their jobs, though.

15. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

its to put pressure on the writers to come back too work...they are blackmailing them basically. Instead of trying to agree to a new contract, they are doing this.