Death Penalty? What's your opinion?

For my part, I do not condemn tyranicide. There are numerous historical instances of this thruout the world.

The other day I was curious about the Canadian penal system so I looked it up in the World Book Encyclopedia and
discovered something quite odd about it: I t seems that it's a combination of penal codes and customs of convenience. No wonder things like the Homolka fiasco happen! Canada hasn't yet decided to totally codify its customs.

I don't believe in the death penalty, because it's commiting murder on a murderer. punishing them for a crime that will be committed on them. I just don't believe in it

It is fine with me but the thing is most prisoners on death row sit there for years. Death penalty means death doesn't it? And I just heard that now there is talk of maybe paroling some of the life-sentence prisoners. They got a life sentence for a reason and that is where they should stay.

The way I see it, if you kill someone you should suffer the same fate. Now, if you do murder and show remorse, that's different. In the end, the murderer should see the same fate...although it won't bring back the slain. I think the killer should get a sense of what it's like to die seeing as how they slew someone.

Hasen't the rule always been "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth?" Wouldn't like life w/out parole be technically breaking this rule? just pointing that out.

"Eye for an eye and soon the whole world will be blind."

And the rule has never been that. Those who steal cars don't get cars stolen from them as punishment.

^Good point.

Any eye for an eye is nothing than nice words for a vicious circle. Every party would make such claims.
A victim´s family achieves a murderer being executed. Another killer appears and takes revenge by killing the family. The family kills the second killer... and so forth.

That´s why death penalty as a matter of revenge simply doesn´t work. :eek:
So, without revenge the attitude "killing a killer makes you a killer, too" becomes even truer. :angry:

I am pro capital punishment.
Simply because I don't think it's right that someone murders someone and gets to spend the rest of their lives (or a few years if you live in England) in a place with a lot of other people just like you, free food, free clothes, free housing, oh and it's all paid for by the public don't forget.
The death penalty will never be brought to England unfortunetely as the jury could be inclined to not say they are guilty, because of what the outcome will be.

*steps off soap box* :rolleyes:

It has been proven that the death penalty doesn't change the homicide rate. I think its bad, since minorities are way more likely to get a death sentence that white people for the SAME crime. It is another way to discriminate. Minorities are also more likely to be arrested, and sentenced for the same crimes compared to white people.

Most murders (90-95%) are not planned. Having harsher penalties doesn't stop murders. Access to guns, and social structure affects crime.

Plus the US executes kids as young as 14, which is against UN policy, to execute minors.

Also, there have been innocent people who have been executed...

It just isn't worth it to have the death penalty. We sink to the level of the killers then. I think rotting in a jail cell is a worse penalty, then death.

I must admit that I'm very torn on the death penalty. I'm completely pro death penalty if you're absolutely sure that the person did in fact commit the crime, but the problem is that you can't be perfectly sure (except in some very rare instances). Just look at the David Milgaard case. Milgaard was wrongfully accused and convicted of the rape and murder of Gail Miller. After spending over 23 years in prison and an extensive investigation into his guilt or innocence, he was in 1992 released and the Canadian government compensated him $10 million. This poses the question: what if Canada had had a death penalty and Milgaard had been executed? The social uprising that would have ensued would have been unheard of if it had later been found that Milgaard was innocent. At this point in time, I am against the death penalty, and I agree with xfcanadian that prison is a worse punishment than the death penalty.

I have a slightly different view on the Death Penalty, I believe that any person that commits any kind of lewd act on a child should be put to death. We all know that most of them are released so they can put even more children at risk, even though they're put on the sexual predator list, we all know that the majority of them strike again. I feel that putting them to death or placing them in prison for the rest of their lives is the best thing to do. The thought of an innocent children shouldn't be put through the things that predators like them put them through.

Back