Death Penalty? What's your opinion?

Rich people have less reason to physically and personally murder multiple people. Theres only been about a dozen in the past two decades. I think the threat of it is enough.

I don't think they have LESS of a reason as much as just different reasons to. Poor people kill for, what? Things, money, revenge, just because they're psycho... rich people may not kill for money or stuff, but revenge and psychotics play on both sides. They also kill for power, lust ... because they're in love with their nephew and don't want anyone important to find out about their crazy love affair... they kill people, entire families, but they don't get the death penalty, they rarely even go to jail...

eggbe4thechicken said:
And paying for your crimes should never ever be easy.
They don't pay for it though. I agree that it is probably an easy way out, but then if you are saying that then, why isn't the sentence for paralysing someone worse than murder?

To me, the death penalty isn't enough punishment. If I had the chance to see the man who raped me on either death row or suffering for the rest of his life in a 2 by 2 cell for 23 hours a day wihout human contact.. I know I'd pick the last one. He needs to sentenced for the rest of his life. Just like I am.
Once he's dead he will no longer have to suffer the consequences of his act.. I do. And he's the one who should be paying, not me. So I'd rather see him suffer for the rest of his (miserable) life than giving him the joy of not having to carry the consequences for raping someone.

I dont believe in the death penalty, as there could be a chance the person is innocent..
Although saying that.. my mum would argue that if someone takes someone elses life, then their life should be taken, they should not be able to live. Prison just makes you want to reoffend when you come out. It doesnt work.
But I still dont believe killing people is the right way to go about it.

No, WE don't take that persons life, the governement (who's duty it is to punish all offenders against society) decides what the proper punishments are for various crimes, and if necessary tekes that persons life.

Also SaraSidle_girl
Even though I've never been in that situation, I agee with you, at least in some sense. The problem with our current system (at least here in the US) is that we treat our prisoners TOO well. So well, that a lot of repeat offenders want to go back. But in principle, I agree with you, the punishment should fit the crime.

Luveykat said:
No, WE don't take that persons life, the governement (who's duty it is to punish all offenders against society) decides what the proper punishments are for various crimes, and if necessary tekes that persons life.

Also SaraSidle_girl
Even though I've never been in that situation, I agee with you, at least in some sense. The problem with our current system (at least here in the US) is that we treat our prisoners TOO well. So well, that a lot of repeat offenders want to go back. But in principle, I agree with you, the punishment should fit the crime.

Its not just there. We treat our prisoners here too nicely too. Prisons are almost like a hotel. I mean.. I thought they were sentenced to jail to learn a lesson. But in some occasions they have a better life inside those walls! :confused:

Detective_Burn said:

Alien_from_mars said: (...) if someone takes someone elses life, then their life should be take (...)

But doesn´t this attitude ake us killers, too? :eek:

Indeed, I agree. That would make us killers so thats not exactly the best way to go about it.

I believe that prisoners should be doing things to help the environment, or should have jobs such as cleaning the streets or whatever... they shouldnt be allowed to sit around all day in prison and do what they like while everyone else is working hard. :)

Personally, when a person is beat to death or raped or anything terrible like that, I think the death penalty is to fast. Overall, other than that I think if you take a life, yours should be taken too. Like, how I feel about Osama(sp?) Bin Laden, I think when we catch him, we should put him in the top story of an extremely tall building, ram a plane into it, then see how much he likes it. That dude better hope he isn't tied up in front of me. Grrr.

I find it interesting that this debate always seems to play question or whether or not the death penalty is a fitting "punishment" for the perpetrator of whatever the crime.

I'm pro death penalty not because I think an eye for an eye is the answer. A vicious circle never solved anything. I'm pro death penalty because I think everyone else deserves it. The general public would be better off if certain people are removed from society. Humanely of course, let them be at peace so the rest of us can as well. Whether they're put in a cell on death row for the rest of their lives or just simply destroyed, that's up to a judge and jury on a case to case basis...but I'd personally prefer my tax dollars to go towards progressive social services like education, and health care than housing, and feeding imprisoned felons.

SaraSidle_girl said:
Its not just there. We treat our prisoners here too nicely too. Prisons are almost like a hotel. I mean.. I thought they were sentenced to jail to learn a lesson. But in some occasions they have a better life inside those walls! :confused:

Have you ever been to jail? Ever visited some one, a relative or a friend in one? Perhaps your basing this opinion on what you've seen on TV, in movies, or from spending a night in the drunk tank? Jail is nothing like it is on television. You won't be able to find someone whose life is better inside jail than when it was out.

Showtime said:
You won't be able to find someone whose life is better inside jail than when it was out.

I think that's a pretty difficult statement to make, considering the kinds of lives the average imprisoned person would have to lead to wind up in jail. I'm not talking about the occasional person who lead your average life and wound up incarcerated after a single incident.

The chances of being jailed for a repeat offender are much greater than someone with only the one conviction on record and frankly most repeat offenders aren't happy go lucky suburbanites from Pleasantville by day and drug dealers by night. The guaranteed meals, beds, and relative security can be a drastic improvement for a lot of people.

gsrLOVE said:

I do think it's wrong to kill someone. But if they take a life, or mulitple (You know, like the mass murders that happened the other day at Virgina Tech (I am pretty sure..)) they do deserve to be punished for their crime. If death penalty is what needs to be done, so be it.

I think that even if the VT shooter was still alive, it would be unethical to give him the death penalty, only because he had a mental disease (I don't remember which one), and what he really needed was help. He needed to go to a mental hospital, where he could resolve his issues.

My opinion? I don't like it. I don't care what a person has done, they're still a person, and no way could I EVER kill them (by sentencing them to death). That's just me.

I believe that the main reason for a murderer to be locked up for life or sentenced to death, is not only to punish him, but to be able to ensure the safety of the rest of society. They should have no chance at all to repeat their actions.
I also don't believe that the VT shooter should have needed to go to a mental hospital either. If a man decides to go to school armed and kill 32 people, I don't call that issues, I call that premeditated murder, even if he had been declared mentally ill.
The problem is that everyone focuses on the killer, while they should be focusing on the ones who are left behind, the ones who have lost their loved ones and also have to move on with their lives. They should feel like justice is on their side, which they often don't.

Back