Death Penalty? What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by CSI3, Jun 5, 2005.

1. CSIVegasMiamiNY

CSIVegasMiamiNY Pathologist

Yeah, i think that guilty prisoners should rot in jail for their crimes, but English jails are more like holiday camps. They get satillite TV, cosy cells, playstations etc and then if and when their realesed then they get new identities and get to move to Austrailia/Spain/Florida etc and get to start their lives all over again.

~xJemmax~

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

How do you know they were tortured? :p

Hungarian, bulgarian.... whatever, the same :p

*hides from Beesy* Sorry, saw the news so briefly.

No matter how it has gone, death penalty is wrong. Who we are to play god, who can live and who has to die?

3. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

Yes, nobody has a right to take lifes.

What do you think of death-penalty as a matter of deterrence?

4. Calihan

Calihan Captain

Having the death penalty makes no difference in the crine rate, so the argument that it works as a deterrant doesn't work.

5. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

^^This is what I wanted to aim at. :) Let´s develope this. So in US murderers know if they kill people America kills them. Thus they don´t intend getting executed, do they?

6. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

Haha apparently states in the US that allow the death penalty have a higher crime rate overall than the states without the death penalty. This suggests that death penalty...encourages murders, I guess. :p

Crappy deterrence!

7. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

kazzy a lot truth have in ur post. i`m from Bulgaria and after this Death Penalty that have ours innocent nurses in Libia i have start to ask my self is this right to have this punishment... what if this ' killers' are innocent ?!?! we the peoples who support Death Penalty become killers too. if i have to be honest before this tragedy with ours nurses in Libia (whole 7 y.) i was with both hands for the rule : u kill after this u have to be killed. but now ...uhh..don`t know what to think...my country now is in some kind of mourning this Christmas days....only hours befor we come in EU...in 21 century some one want to kill 5 innocent Bulgerian....agrrrrr....for my regret noone for now can`t help us :( sorry mods for out of topic....but just for the record...yes Ducky this womans was been tortured...coz of this 'force' confession Libia want theirs death...(even have one more trial process against this monster attempt/beat and rape female prisoner...quest what come in the end ... nothing!? will u ask the same question if this nurses was Finn!?)....no matter that English scientistс prove that this HIV infection is long time ago befor ours nurses to come in Libia...also a lot countrys like USA, Germany, France too try to convince Libia release the nurses .... in the end we have one big NOTHING....for my regret Libia have realize one Death Penalty this fatal 1999 y. a little befor this fake HIV/AIDS case - they kill two Turkish citizen/mans.....and like all peoples in Bulgaria now i`m a lot afraid what will come after one month... the last convict institution decision

back to the topic, ok kids murderer/violator or serial killer (like in Engladn this days - dead 4-5 prostitute) why not to be punishment with death (if only they are 100% guilty ), but other country to decide did ur peoples have to live ... come on...this is not honestly...and never will be.....

8. Ducky

I assume people who do the worst crimes - are basicly sociopaths (sp?) are basicly don't care if there's death penalty or not.

9. kazzy

kazzy Head of the Swing Shift

If that was true and assuming there's the same distribution of sociopaths in all of USA, then there should be the same % of killings but there arent, are they? And they wouldnt certainly be detered from a crime cos there's no capital punishment. If they did, they would just simply go to another state and do it in that state! :p

So we can't dismiss that sociopaths are responsible for the increase in crimes in the states that has the death penalty rather than the ones in states without the death penalty.

10. Ducky

Umm... usually serial killers and serial rapists are sociopaths. They probably don't think "oh, if I do it in this state, I get death penalty so I better drive off to other state"

Don't try to be a smartass.

Sociopaths do not born as sociopaths (usually). There's lots of things that affect to how they grow up and what they'll be. Parents, people around you, society, enviroment... So no, you cannot be so "theoretical" and tell every state has a certain % of sociopaths.

Another good thing would be that they'd get more strict gun control, so not every crazy man can get a gun.

Do you know how difficult it is here to get a gun? My bro got a pistol from our greatauntie's husband when he died... and no way he got permission, because he didn't have a reason why he should get one.
    I guess it's the law that "they can protect their home" or something :rolleyes:

For _non_sociopath_crimes_ - it's all about crappy law. If crime rate is getting higher and higher, then law, government and control sucks.

I think it's quite funny that USA consider them as "the best country in the world" or as "leading democracy" and they are the only western (culture) country that gives underage people death penalties :lol:

11. CSIVegasMiamiNY

I think gun control, and just general law upkeep (if thats the right way to phrase it? :confused:) has a lot to do with the crime rate.

I mean, take England (as I don't no enough about law's in other countries to compare). If someone breaks the law, like the killers of Jamie Bulgar, an innocent 2 year old boy, they went to jail for something like 20 years, then got let out, got new identities, and the government moved them to Florida, on the taxpayers money, so they could have a 'new start on life'.
    Jamie Bulgar will never get a new start on life. He won't get to go to his prom, or get married, or have his first girlfriend, because of two selfish, evil teenage boys who thought it would be amusing to take a life.

Maybe the death penalty isn't the answer. But the ways prisoners are treated in English prisons aren't the nswer either. The prisoners get satillite TV, Playstations, good meal, cosy cells, its more like a holiday camp paid for by the tax payers. Ian Huntley, who killed two 11-12 year old girls, and then lied and provided hope for the family by searching for them, giving false evidence about seeing them after he had killed them, he can now sue the justice system for breaching his human rights because of something to do with threats he's receiveing from his fellow inmates.

Just thought I would throw that out there to say how I feel out English Justice System protects the criminals more than the victims, thus meaning that maybe, just maybe the death penalty would work here? *shrug* I don't know, make of it what you will.

~xJemmax~

12. Ducky

Our justice system... well people get really, really short times in prison, usually it's some double murder that gives you 20yrs and firstimers usually sit half of it.

But then the worst cases will be never let out but when they've done their jailtime, they are moved to hospital because they cannot be released.

If I'm right, our worst (and one of the most 'famous) criminal, Jammu Siltavuori, will be in mental hospital (or some similar institution) for rest of his life. He raped, chopped and burnt two 8-yr old girls.

But then again we have low crime rate and it's rare that we get really horrible crimes. And crime rate would be even lower if we weren't so damn drunk nation.

13. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

So deterance doesn´t work as an aim of deterrance and will never.

Another good point someone mentioned above is death-penalty seems to be a good way out for killers. Maybe an execution means something like relief for victims´ families. Yet murderers getting executed die in the definite knowledge that a successor will kill on asap.

Hm - does this make sense? :rolleyes:

14. CSIVegasMiamiNY

Yeah, it does. Also, if said killer killed more people, and he/she is executed, then the truth dies with them, so its not a great form of punishment really, And how can we punish killers, by killing them? Seems slightly hipocritical to me.

Its funny though. I posted in here as a big supported and everyone's views and arguements have slightly chnaged my minds, which means that really, it can't be such a great thing, if just a couple of arguements can change a strong supporters mind. *shrug*

~xJemmax~

15. Detective_Burn

Detective_Burn Coroner

What truth? Where bodies are dug or how someone is killed? This doesn´t reanimate victims either. *shrugs

Punishing killers by killing them? Yeah - the alternative would be letting killers shoot each other. :(

Nooo, srsly. We simply aren´t fast enough to execute every single killer on the world. So I guess we should stop them spreading first of all.