Death Penalty? What's your opinion?

If the Canadian system of really worked, then why is Karla Homolka free and living under another name?? Also , I believe the Canadian public awareness needs to be heightened.

Well firstly, Canada doesn't have the death penalty. (which I'm sure you know) Why? Because that's the Canadian system. It's what's been decided. Secondly, no system is without it's flaws.

Also, no one ignored the Karla situation. There were plenty of angry people that didn't want her released. The fact is she was released. As much as some people would love to see her get the death penalty, or rot in prison, it didn't happen that way.

And just out of curiosity, how do you know the Canadian system doesn't work? Have you studied Canadian law, and have you been to said prisons and interviewed the staff, read their mission statements, and seen their mandates?

Also, how do you know that Canadians aren't aware? Do you live here? Do you watch our news and read our papers? Just because there aren't people raging down the streets screaming for justice, doesn't mean Canadians aren't aware.

If every system worked, we wouldn't need the death penalty.

Speed,As DaWacko would say,
"This is a place for stating one's opinion and not for attacking other posters."

Actually, I think Speed_Cochrane has a point. Canadians are more aware of situations than given credit for. There were many instances where Canadians have pointed out things to me where I have had no clue what was going on, and it was in my own country. And she's right. If every system worked, we wouldn't need the death penalty. I think that is an excellent point. I mean, come on.......some woman sued McDonalds because the coffee was hot. When she didn't win, her husband sued because since it burned her legs, she apparently couldn't preform in bed, and they laughed their way to the bank. Every system has their flaws, and the point being that some states thing that the death penalty is the answer, and others do not. It is a matter of opinion, and like it or not, everyone has diffrent opinions, which means that nothing will ever be perfect, and nothing will ever be completely resoluted in every single persons mind, which is why no system will ever be perfect.

VManso, it wasn't my intention to attack your opinion at all. I truly wanted to know your thoughts on the questions I asked. If it came off as an attack, I truly apologize. :(

Apology accepted, Speed. And you are right about a number of things---I've never lived in Canada though I have browsed thru the Canada Free Press Online where I came upon an article saying in essence that the failure of the health
system is due to the archaic laws which framed them.However , thru personal acquaintance on the web, My friend thekay, who is a teacher living in Burnaby, doesn't want me even to speak of her name.

I am all for the death penalty. If you kill someone you deserve to be punished by having your own life taken away. Sorry if I sound radical but it's how I feel.

VManso said:
Speed,As DaWacko would say,
"This is a place for stating one's opinion and not for attacking other posters."

It seems that thing have sorted out here but I have to say I didn't see where she'd attacked on you or your opinion.

You questioned Canada's law and system and she gave you answer to that how it works and asked for evidence how do you know law of Canada doesn't work ;)

DaWacko,
If you have to wait three months in order to have knee surgery(a friend of mine's sister does) or if have an accident and call for an EMT to arrive and a pizza truck arrives in the meantime, something must definitely be wrong with the Canadian legal system.

That's not the case. I was just saying Geni had all right to defend her country's system, because you were questioning it. You asked - she gave answer.

I haven't been involved in this issue. I wasn't questioning Canada's lawsystem or anything else.

I've only talked about death penalty.

I had to wait 2 months for my knee MRI. So? There's a queue and it doesn't work any faster. And it has nothing to do with the crimes or death penalty that is issue of this thread. I could say that oh that stupid american law. How many poor people there is in the USA and if you have no money, you have no social security. Here everyone gets equal treatment, no matter how much you have money.
But you know? It still doesn't belong to this thread. This thread is still about death penalty and how you feel about it.

If you say Canada should have death penalty, you can say so but Canadians (or others) have every right to say they don't need it.

And when you go after other country's juridical system - try to remember is your country's system perfect.

It's just curious how much you want to point out "failures" of foreign country and if someone defends the country, you feel offended.

If you want to talk about how each country's society works and how a certain things suck - feel free to open a new thread. If you want to complain how much Canadian health care system sucks, feel free to open a new thread for it.

And do not drag me (or any other poster) into discussion where we are not involved.

DaWacko,
Then , as I said before, the Canadian system of justice must be changed so that the death penalty is added! That is what I most fervently believe. No criminal should get off like Karla did! It's unpardonable!!

Does anyone have any thoughts on the execution of Saddam Hussein? By that I mean, do you think he should be executed?

I know this came up in another thread, but I'm bringing it up again in here because it's related to the arguments for and against the death penalty. You see, I read an interesting article in the newspaper today from one journalist's point of view who was defending his execution because he believes Saddam is one of the most terrible men in history (in terms of the crimes he's committed) and thinks that men like him should pay the ultimate price for their actions.

However, some organisations believe that any judicial killing of a human being is wrong, no matter how bad the things are they've done.

For those who do not defend Saddam's execution, does it mean there is a moral inconsistency in that allowing thousands of citizens to die is ok, but it is wrong to kill a tyrant?

What do you think?

The criminal can be punished without death penalty.

I believe crime rate in Canada is much, much lower than in US, so their jails wouldn't be filled with psychopaths, even if they had no death penalty.

You are right. No criminal should get off like Karla - but death penalty is not the answer.

I'm sure USA has much more karlas that have gotten away with their crimes ;) And yet it amazes me, why you are so worried about Canada?

I'm sorry but I'm a person who doesn't like that people point out things in others what themselves fail to do. Clean your own backyard before you start to complain to your neighbour's garbage on their yard

And I do not mean to offend you in any ways by saying what I just said above and this - that I'm surely curious how attached you are to Canada and this Karla matter as an American.

Did you read about our worst guy, what I posted earlier? He'll be locked up rest of his life.

I don't think that death penalty fits in the modern world and justice system. I believe that countries that do not have death penalty anymore, it shows sophistication of the people and the nation.

I just watched the movie Elizabeth I. Made me think even more of this. Death penalty is just burder from the old days. Historical. The countries that have given up with death penalty have taken step towards the more... human world.

Back