Death Penalty? What's your opinion?

That's a really good point, Nikky, I hadn't thought of that. You're right, child predators tend to be repeat offenders, and the things that they do to children are horrific, and are worthy of the death penalty (in my opinion, anyway).

I think the only reason someone should ever be put to death is if they still pose a threat after going to prison, and will probably kill other inmates. People have many reasons for killing, and a heat-of-the-moment murder is different than someone who kills people just because he hates people. If the jury decides he would most likely kill more people in his life, they should put him to death to save potential lives, but ONLY if he does. I think the death penalty is used too much, especially in the US...

This is probably the LEAST crazy of my theories, lol, it's actually almost normal...

Quick question, are we allowed to debate in here? Well not debate, but disprove someone's theory? That sort of thing, the thread title is unclear. :rolleyes:

You can debate all you want as long as it stays under control. I mean, you don't attack towards other poster or go "your thoughts suck" etc. Kind of... sophisticated discussion, where you respect that someone disagrees and bring up points why you disagree with someone. As long as you prove why you think that way, it's ok.

Good good! :D
I'll play nice. ;) (I lurve your icon by the way. :lol:)

It has been proven that the death penalty doesn't change the homicide rate. I think its bad, since minorities are way more likely to get a death sentence that white people for the SAME crime. It is another way to discriminate. Minorities are also more likely to be arrested, and sentenced for the same crimes compared to white people.
Where did you get the information from about the homicide rate not changing, just curious? Also the juries are randomly selected, aren't they? So there shouldn't be a problem with minorities getting unfair sentences. Plus racist attacks tend to be in groups don't they? So a jury where no one knows each other would make it less likely. I don't know. :rolleyes:
what if Canada had had a death penalty and Milgaard had been executed?
Just looked up some facts, the average length someone spends on death row is 12.86 years, a man called Gary Alvord has been on death row since 1974 though, does this mean he keeps appealing? I don't know. So it is possible that he could have been executed, or maybe he would have been proven guilty during appeal, etc.

Plus the US executes kids as young as 14, which is against UN policy, to execute minors.
The youngest people ever to be executed were 16. ;)

IMO, 16 is still "a minor" and US is still the only country that sentences underage people to death.

:)

(and avatar was pointed out to me by SunsetBoulevard)

Death penalty is a definite "no" for me. I am against it. I am against taking a human life in any way possible.
I mean, how can you justify a death sentence? (Well, they found ways but I just don't agree)
An eye for an eye makes everyone blind. Are you any better than killer when you execute a killer? Or are you just the same and should you be getting the next needle or chair or whatever available?
Justice can be served but I do not believe justice is done with murder..

People who have comitted terrible crimes like child abuse, murder and rape, they should be put away for the rest of their lifes. In a 2 by 2 cell, 23 hours a day. One hour a day they can go outside. No contact with people.. It will most likely drive them insane pretty soon. I know that still sounds horrible too but that is punishment. Death is an easy way out. Too easy. And paying for your crimes should never ever be easy.

Death is an easy way out. Too easy. And paying for your crimes should never ever be easy.

I used to agree with this too, but... if it really IS an easy way out, why are so many people on death row trying so desperately to get off? If they thought dying would be easier, why would they spend every moment of every day appealing and appealing until they get another chance at life? To some, death is easier, and those are the people who inevitably kill themselves in prison. Most people though are naturally afraid of death, no matter what they believe in. Afraid of going to Hell, afraid of the pain, afraid of just all of a sudden being nothing, having the life taken from you and your whole world just becomes everyone elses memory.

I don't condone murder either, in any way, and I agree that the death penalty just turns us into monsters like the people who killed in the first place, but when it's necessary, in self defense or defense of others, it has to be excusable...

And paying for your crimes should never ever be easy.
They don't pay for it though. I agree that it is probably an easy way out, but then if you are saying that then, why isn't the sentence for paralysing someone worse than murder?
IMO, 16 is still "a minor" and US is still the only country that sentences underage people to death.
I just searched somemore, and I got it wrong, the youngest person was 14 years old The youngest person to be executed in Texas is 24, in Florida was 16, and that was in the 1940s. Texas law allows for the execution of people who commit capital murder at the age of 17. Just giving some facts. :rolleyes: Florida statistics

It's quite hush hush on the net though, I can't really find any reliable sources though. Sorry, it's all the media.

xfcanadian said:
Plus the US executes kids as young as 14, which is against UN policy, to execute minors.

Not true, the Supreme Court ruled in Roper Vs. Simmons that executing minors does in fact violate the eighth amendment.

I always believed i was against the death penalty....but since my friend was murdered by her ex-husband (will be two years this friday)...i am not soo much against it anymore. i wouldnt say i am 100% for it but i believe in some cases it is the only solution unfortunetly

To be quite honest, I am against the death penalty.

I do think it's wrong to kill someone. But if they take a life, or mulitple (You know, like the mass murders that happened the other day at Virgina Tech (I am pretty sure..)) they do deserve to be punished for their crime. If death penalty is what needs to be done, so be it.

But I don't think they should just go "Hey, you killed three people, we're going to kill you back!"

What is that solving?

Absolutely nothing.. That's just saying "Look, go ahead, kill someone, we are just going to kill you - you wont suffer, you won't have to think about the horrible thing you've done, you won't have to live with the guilt of ruining more lives than you'll ever know... We're just going to end it all for you"

*shrugs* I will never understand the law system, but I think it's pretty damn F'd up.

eggbe4thechicken said:
Good good! :D
I'll play nice. ;) (I lurve your icon by the way. :lol:)

It has been proven that the death penalty doesn't change the homicide rate. I think its bad, since minorities are way more likely to get a death sentence that white people for the SAME crime. It is another way to discriminate. Minorities are also more likely to be arrested, and sentenced for the same crimes compared to white people.
Where did you get the information from about the homicide rate not changing, just curious? Also the juries are randomly selected, aren't they? So there shouldn't be a problem with minorities getting unfair sentences. Plus racist attacks tend to be in groups don't they? So a jury where no one knows each other would make it less likely. I don't know. :rolleyes:
what if Canada had had a death penalty and Milgaard had been executed?
Just looked up some facts, the average length someone spends on death row is 12.86 years, a man called Gary Alvord has been on death row since 1974 though, does this mean he keeps appealing? I don't know. So it is possible that he could have been executed, or maybe he would have been proven guilty during appeal, etc.

The youngest people ever to be executed were 16. ;)

I took a criminology class in university as my elective...very interesting.

Canada used to have the death penalty, so has a lot of other countries. When they took it away, everyone thought the homicide rate would increase, but it didn't. In fact the homicide rate is much lower, thanks to gun control. Not one country that took away the death penalty saw a rise in violent crime, it has actually been the opposite, due to better crime policies. Gun control seems to the biggest factor in lowering the homicide rate.

While the jury is randomly selected, there are many factors. We looked at statistics, and minorities were always more likely to end up on death row, for an identical crimes. Police were more likely to arrest minorities, and they were more likely to be convicted. Plus poor people were way more likely to be put on death row, compared to rich people. Rich people don't go to jail...

Plus poor people were way more likely to be put on death row, compared to rich people. Rich people don't go to jail...

This is so true. Is it the same in Canada as here? That the rich get away with everything? I've never heard of one rich person being put to death for anything... ever....

Rich people have less reason to physically and personally murder multiple people. Theres only been about a dozen in the past two decades. I think the threat of it is enough.

To be honest, I'm a fan of anything that deters crime. And xfcanadian, I'm assuming you're referring to the crime fall in the mid/late 90's, I suggest you read Freakonomics. It goes into depth about why (including the death penalty) and basically concludes that it was due to abortions being legalized. But that's a whole other debate.

Back