CSI: NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - Bright Lights, Big City

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

(...erm, who's Dave Benton...?)

Yay :) Thanks. Always nice to see when Hawkes gets more to do than be just brilliant :lol:.

I guess they were trying not to have Langston be in too direct competition with Grissom, nor step on Catherine's seniority. Also seems like the show mighta been trying what NY are this season, having someone come in who doesn't know the ropes but learns them, a way to look at things outside in again. From what I understand Langston's been taking courses/training etc and has now been bumped up to CSI Level 2? So not quite the newbie anymore if so. I think they were also definitely trying to smooth Langston's addition by having Grissom be the one essentially recruiting him, and more on the basis of his character, knowledge and background than any law enforcement experience. I don't know whether some people are disliking his character or the screentime he's getting or some combo of both. If I followed the show more closely I'm sure I'd have a stronger opinion myself.

I'd also hope that after five and seven years respectively, any LV rankles would have eased, rather than have become some entrenched set/show culture or the like. Especially with the transitions their own show has seen in the past few years. They're hardly the same entity they were when they started Back In Tha Day. I think the business has seen a lot of change in past ten years (while some tendencies admittedly remain very much the same or even moreso). I would also think that if your character was written the one to do a cross over, that you'd damn well take your cheque, with a grudging superficial glossy smile if need be, and do the cross over. Especially the way things are in the business these days. It's a rare thing to be over-employed.

It's odd in a way to see LF as a lead, but I kinda do, whereas in a show like CM, for example, Joe Mantegna's a big name, but really seems part of an ensemble.

I definitely agree they chose LF as the Big Name to cross over. And I agree that character-wise it might have made more sense to have Nick or someone else making the trip. In some ways though, I think it would make sense to have Catherine, as supervisor, send someone other than herself to another city while she continues to run the labs. And yet of course in tvland, it's usually the main character that makes the trip. It's a little disappointing that with only one chosen that it isn't, for whatever reasons, Marg Helgenberger, I think she'd be a great dynamic to mix into both other shows. I still don't know enough about Langston to be interested in that sense.

The way the press bits are wording things, teh Mighty H is also the one all but summoning Langston in particular, because of a related Missing case in LV he was on. And who ever dares say "no" to H :lol:. Perhaps Catherine's just as happy not to have to deal with him... :p.

Production-wise, I'd think it's also definitely simpler (and cheaper) to have only one name leave their respective set to travel to others (and also to locations as in NYC for example). Which is too bad, cos a wider mixing/meeting of rosters & worlds coulda been a lotta fun. In other ways, kudos for them trying such an undertaking at all. I'm still interested.

Depending on how the filming of each of the three episodes is staggered, it could also mean that LF will be less prominent in an LV case or two while shooting the NY and MIA shows. Who knows. - so mebbe there's a silver lining to be had for those who dread Langston :p.

Does sound like Langston and the others are on a big chase, one step behind, less than a winding mystery. Also sounds like those "triage blinders" are what they're using to up the ante for one neat aspect that can actually be resolved in an otherwise huge topic. So no, the plots are not going to be what drives my interest and curiosity. But I'm still curious to see how the shows will be integrated.

Sounds like the CSIs could also benefit from M-TAC, the way Langston's running about :lol: but that would kinda defeat the purpose... :p

In an ideal world I'd hope that the rest of the LV team wouldn't invisibly just go about their business on other cases in the background, and that we'd instead see them also somehow involved from their end, even before Langston returns to Las Vegas. I don't hold out too much hope for that with the screentime constraints cramped as it is. Actually, I doubt we'll see that at all. Might get half a phone conversation at best.

I'm not a huge Langston fan, but I do respect LF. I hope that this will further help rather than hinder LF's ongoing integration into the flagship show, and that LV's stronger for it. Not easy to step into regardless.

So, yeah, still interested, and will probably try to tune into two of the three.

Thanks for all the pics and links, yas all :).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. Ad1991

Ad1991 Victim

That clip has just made me verrrry interested with tonights offering.
    I wasnt expecting that spin on the Hawkes/Danny situation.

Should be a goodun!

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Oh wow--that was intense! It still feels too early for Danny to be walking, but I guess if Sheldon is saying it should have happened weeks ago, then I guess we're supposed to see Danny as lagging. I'm looking forward to seeing him struggle with it in this episode! Both Hill and Carmine are awesome in that scene.

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

The tech guy over on Miami that needs a haircut. My little sister loves the actor, Wes Ramsey.

5. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Thanks. (I wish I could say that helped... :lol:). Guess I'll clue in when it airs.

6. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

Thanks Perlnoir,
    That clip was insane omg, I like that its Sheldon talking to Danny like that trying to get him to walk again thats really cool.

7. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

That really is a great scene and Hawkes was definitely the best choice for that particular ass kicking. My only problem is that last week Danny seemed to be working hard to get back to full fitness, now suddenly he's giving up. Hawkes' words suggest he's just not been trying hard enough for some time. I guess we'll see how it plays out but I agree that both Hill and Carmine are great here. :)

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Both Hill and Carmine rocked that scene, but I agree with what Fay and others said as soon as the spoilers came out that Danny would be in a wheelchair. This is too complex of a storyline to do on a procedural, crime drama. They can't concentrate on one character's personal storyline too much so we're left with ridiculous time jumps and short scenes here and there with the bulk of what the story should be left out. As good as Carmine and Hill are I just don't buy that it's been long enough where Danny should've been out of the wheelchair "weeks ago" or that he's been struggling so much that he's given up and throwing himself a pity party. It's just one more instance where TPTB is telling us what is going on without showing us and with a meaty, personal storyline like this one it just doesn't fly.

I'm surprised they changed Hawkes' line about Lindsay. But I guess I'd rather see unrealistic, perky, supportive Lindsay than have to watch Anna Belknap try and act frustrated and emotional and have her be the one to try and pull the tough love act on Danny. That would be - in the words of my niece - "a big 'ol mess."

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Yeah--I really feel like this should have been a season-long arc. It would have had so much more dramatic impact IMO. And they could have put Danny in danger at the end of the season, in a situation where he would have had to walk. I'm excited about tonight's episode, but I feel like this could have had so much more of an impact if it had been drawn out for longer.

Oh yes. I do think that it's telling that it's Hawkes rather than Lindsay giving Danny the kick in the pants. Just another sign that TPTB are aware that Anna is not so good with the high drama moments. I'm glad it's Hawkes. Anna is much better with the supportive stuff than she would be with this material.

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i didn't think it was til then but i think everyone discussing it made me think maybe i'd missed something!!:lol: thanks :)

thanks for the clip! go hawkes in lectures mode :D

11. Faylinn

Hill posted this Tweet about an hour ago:

Everybody with Twitter should send him a response - he seems to get a ton of messages @ him, but hopefully he'll see at least a few comments from us. :)

12. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Was it my imagination or did I just watch "The Lindsey Monroe Hour". She seemed to be wearing her red cape tonight saving Flack and solving crimes:rolleyes:. And Danny standing on his own two feet maybe finally we can get on with other storylines. And where was Adam?

13. Faylinn

Fending off the Black Hole of Continuity? Or perhaps begging it to eat Haylen for him. :p

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

When the other wife came to the crime scene at the end of the show I was thinking, "Kill Haylen! Kill her!!" Alas, it did not happen. :(

15. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.