CSI Fan Fiction Critique Group.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by lostladyknight, Sep 30, 2007.

1. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

TQ: On open ended fanfictions, how do you, as a reader, respond when you reach the end of the story and have been intentionally left to wonder about the outcome? Do you enjoy it? Do you prefer stories to be wrapped up in a tight little bow, all of your questions answered? How does this effect your decision about reading more from that author, or does it effect it at all?

On occasion, I like open ended stories. They encourage the reader to use their imagination, and often fuels the desire to write their own stories. However, it can be annoying in some situations when, especially if it is a long story, the plot has been building towards a climax before the end, and the situations are not resolved. It can lead to longer stories seeming unfinished. I like the use of them in shorter, one-shots. It can leave it open to different fandoms and to the readers personal preferance.

Come on guys! Critiques need doing. You much post one if you wish your story to be featured. :D

2. Jennifer

Jennifer Lab Technician

First, my apologies to StarDuquesneEMT for not getting a critique of her story done in time. I was out of town all last week and consequently spent the weekend running errands and cleaning house. So, this is the first time I was able to get to this forum.

TQ: Open ended fanfictions kind of irritate me. It's like reading a fanfiction that someone starts, but never finishes...and the reader is left hanging. It is a letdown to read a story and then get to the end only to find out that it is an open-ended story that does not, in my mind, have an ending. I'm one of those people that like closure, I like all the questions answered and tied up in a tight little bow. I think that may be why I get most of my own fanfiction- writing inspiration from episodes or scenes that I think need continuing, or were missing a little something. Reading a fanfiction and coming upon an open ending would not make me want to stop reading fanfictions from that author, although if that author tended to write mostly open-ended stories, I'd probably be more reluctant to click on the story to read it.

Now, for the critique. I did like the story, that is, until the ending ;). You did a great job telling the inner workings of Calleigh's mind, and her feelings about her relationships with the current men in her life. While I prefer stories that are less the musings of the character but more action and/or conversation, I do occasionally enjoy stories such as this one, where the story itself can stand on its own...so much of the character's thoughts are given that without having watched the show, you *know* the character.

Only quibble...other than the ending ;) is the minor spelling errors and typos (dam is damn, "But we lost out friend..."), but they were very minor and did not detract from how good the story was.

3. lostladyknight

lostladyknight Pathologist

So I’ve been working on this critique for a few days, well planning to anyway. I’ve been sitting here and reading your story over and over and getting ready to start and without fail, every time, someone or something get’s in my way. But, this time, I won’t let it.

I loved it! I think I say that a little too much, but I really did love it. As every week passes and I read more Miami fiction, as I watch more episodes, as I get to know the stories just a little better, I love it more and more. See, I just learned about the whole E/N history last night. That made me do more research about E/C and so, I learned a lot more about the show. I learned a lot more about Horatio too, but that was just a side effect of my looking into information on Natalia, who is slowly becoming my second favorite Miami character. But you don’t need to know anything about my progression as a Miami fan. Anyway, as I said, I’m learning a lot about Miami and it’s becoming easier and easier for me to enjoy the Miami fictions we feature here. So, when I said that I loved it, I not only meant that I thought it made a great story independent of that branch of the show, but that it made a great story as part of the Miami universe. I have an ability, now, to read and understand Miami now, and it really was a great story. I really did love it.

As much as I’ve just preached that I’m learning a lot more about the show, sometimes it takes a while for the allusions to jump out off the page at me, but I am catching on. I didn’t know whose perspective it was in when I started out reading, but I kind of liked that. I enjoyed having to read closely, and pay attention, to figure out what was going on at the beginning, then you kept me interested by all expressing her concerns and problems. You formed a connection between the reader and your main character and it provided an extra little bit of excitement moving through the story.

I guess the only thing I didn’t really like was the delivery of the ending. I mean, I liked the way you ended it, I even found it to be kinda fun. But, the delivery just seemed a little off. You spent a great deal of time in the story building up her relationship with Eric, and thought not as much, you still equally made her other relationship with Jake seem to be far less important. It seemed obvious that she had chosen Eric over the other man, but then you throw this ending out there, and while it could have been Jake that called, all sings point to no. I guess it just didn’t feel like there was enough of an internal struggle on her part, to really make it seem like there was a decision to be made there at the end. I’m worried that I didn’t deliver or explain what I was trying to say properly, so if I didn’t please ask me any questions about it that you have about my blather.

Actually, I was thinking about it, and I kind of find this sick comfort in the fact that I all but know that it was Eric on the other end of the line. I mean, I’m fairly certain that it was him and all. I just like that no matter what it was that you put her through, throughout the short story, in the end she made her choice, and it was a good one. It was like, and ending that gave an overwhelming sense of peace. Though she had been almost afraid to make the decision all along she knew the choice that she had to make, and she made it. I know that I shouldn’t really go on about plot points that I like, or dislike, but I can’t help it. I just, really really like the plot you’ve got with this one.

TQ: Well, I sometimes really enjoy open ended fanfictions. As a matter of a fact, I’m quite guilty of writing them myself. I have one, which I should be posting the last chapter to today or tomorrow, where I’m writing two totally separate endings. I’m going to allow the readers to decide which one is more correct. Sometimes they can be frustrating, annoying, or even pretty lame. But, most often I guess I give in to the masochist in myself because I just enjoy not really knowing. Then, sometimes, it really boils me and I’ll PM the author immediately and BEG to know. I guss, it just depends. I, however, absolutely love playing the part of the author/sadist and doing it to other people. When you spend an entire 100,000+ word story just knowing that you’re going to end it with an unknown, it’s like getting high, almost. I know, that’s totally skanky of me. But I do loves it.

4. RIPTimSpeedle

RIPTimSpeedle Witness

Hello fellow CSI fans.

TQ: Personally i have not read many stories where the ending is not given to you on a big silver platter. However with this being the third story i have written with a pick your own ending i loved it. The fact that the caller does not even leave his name leaves is wide open to who it could be. Now from what Jodie has written through calleigh's eyes and mind leaves you to think it could be Eric or Jake however as the caller gives away nothing it could be Horatio or even Ryan Wolfe.So many choices calleigh.

Now for the story itself i have watched four seasons of Miami and yet i felt i connected to Calleigh more when i was seeing everyday life in the lab through her eyes and how Jodie or should i say (Calleigh) told the reader how much harder she had to work to be respected. I saw Calleigh more as a woman than a CSI as she struggles with her womanhood that she had locked away in the back of her mind. The little points she spots about how Eric Delko acts around her and how when she finally stops to think about notices how much she likes him. It's so nice to be a male story reader and yet see a well thought through story as if looking through the eyes of a female.

Another part i loved was the reference to how Delko changed so much when Speed was killed. In the esipodes we saw alot of how Delko went out of his way to make sure Ryan wolfe knew where he stood. Even for Wolfe to say "I am not trying to take Speed's place." But we didn't see how much it made a change to between Calleigh and Delko's partnership. Now in the story you spoke about how Calleigh tried to help cheer Delko up which from Jodie knowing Calleigh's mind so well knew she would try to do that really added impact to show how much Calleigh cares for Delko.

Well done

On a personal note i think it was Delko ringing up because i know Delko would struggle to tell Calleigh how he feels and sounded nervous on the message and the fact Calleigh thought alot more about Delko than Jake.

Also i don't know Jake and Eric and Calleigh would make a lovely couple.

Thanks.
    James

5. lostladyknight

Hey Guys.

I'm just dropping by to let you know that for this week I've left everything in the very capable hands of my second in command. She's been given far more instruction than she needs and can do a great job for you. I've been PMing her almost every day since I made her second in command wtih a bunch of crap, because I have this sick fear of leaving my responsibilities to anyone else. However, I trust her completely.

So Jodie/Adorelo will be your den mother for now.

She might take over next week too. See I have this great new job... but it requires me to go out of town for like every weekend coming up for a while.

Uh, I am, however, bringing my only slightly functional laptop, so I may be able to get online, we'll see.

Good luck everyone. Enjoy your critiques and critiquing. Don't miss me too much!

Byes!

-LLK

6. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Bah! The responsibility! *cries with worry* :lol:

Yep, great critiques guys! Please let's have some more!! We want this group booming!

Have fun and stay safe LLK. We'll see you when you get back!

Jodie
    x

7. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Week 5

TQ: On open ended fanfictions, how do you, as a reader, respond when you reach the end of the story and have been intentionally left to wonder about the outcome? Do you enjoy it? Do you prefer stories to be wrapped up in a tight little bow, all of your questions answered? How does this effect your decision about reading more from that author, or does it effect it at all?

Winner:

Jennifer

Open ended fanfictions kind of irritate me. It's like reading a fanfiction that someone starts, but never finishes...and the reader is left hanging. It is a letdown to read a story and then get to the end only to find out that it is an open-ended story that does not, in my mind, have an ending. I'm one of those people that like closure, I like all the questions answered and tied up in a tight little bow. I think that may be why I get most of my own fanfiction- writing inspiration from episodes or scenes that I think need continuing, or were missing a little something. Reading a fanfiction and coming upon an open ending would not make me want to stop reading fanfictions from that author, although if that author tended to write mostly open-ended stories, I'd probably be more reluctant to click on the story to read it.

For an alternate POV on the topic, LLK and RIPTimSpeedle had some good insights too.

Well done guys.

8. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Okay, I apologize for the, gosh, triple post. I couldn't edit the first one, and these two needed to be separate. Anyway. I am doing this weeks post because, as most of you know LLK is away. So lets keep responses up high for when she gets back.

---------

CSI Critique Fanfiction #6:CSI - Own Risk by RIPTimSpeedle

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~
    TQ: How effective do you think stories written in script format are? Do you think it takes away from the tone of the piece, or adds to it? Maybe you find it difficult to read and understand? Or maybe you like being able to add your own emotions to the characters. Please discuss.

~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~

Great critiques last week guys. Don’t forget, to have your work featured, you must submit a critique. You all have such wonderful insights, so keep them coming!

Thank you for submitting critiques for this week's featured fanfiction. Please keep in mind that you will have one week to do so and your own work can only be featured if you submit a critique. Off you go!

The next story will be featured on: Sunday, November 18th, 2007.

--------

Thanks guys. :)

9. lostladyknight

Hai guys. I'm home! Did you all miss me?

Looks like the place didn't burn down, that's good to know. I told you guys that Jodie could do it... and you doubted me. Sillys.

J/K and for the record I never doubted her for so much as a second.

-LLK

10. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Of course we missed you LLK! It just wasn't the same! ;) Oh and guys? Spread the word aabout this group. We want lots more members! You all now have jobs, get more people invloved.

TQ: I am an actress. So before I write about this I have to point that fact out, I am so used to reading scripts, I didn't even notice it wasn't in dialogue format. Personally, I think scripts should be kept for the stage and behind the camera.
    I say usually.

Critique:

Despite what I said in my TQ I found it curiously good to read your work, RIPTimSpeedle. The way you combined script with story format was unlike anything I have read before. I though it was wonderful.

Hey, with the writers strike on, fancy taking over? ;)

The only thing I would criticize is the complete lack of emotion. I understand why you did it but, like I said before, it is fiction. AS you have stated what happens, " There is the body of the man from the first scene laying on the floor with a pool of blood next to his head." rather than describing it, you have left it more like a script than a story.

But I do like it :)

Later on however, you do start to get a sense of the characters without using overly emotive words.

Be careful of S/P/G in some areas: Nick stokes looked... 'stokes' should be capitalized. As should the word 'I', as in, 'I am...'. Also, 'alot' is always 'a lot'.

The medical stuff was good. One thing I am finicky about is lack of research, you've clearly done your homework. Well done.

On a final mote, watch your paragraphing. The length can make it difficult to read in some cases. But I see you rectified that in later installments.

I was reading some of your own comments that you posted. I like that you wouldn’t do an NY story because you don’t know the characters well enough yet. It’s nice that you care about characterization. It is something you are very consistent with. Okay, that was off topic.

Overall I think you did a wonderful job. Combining a script like format with the descriptions of a novel is like nothing I have read before. I command you on that.

I encourage to write more soon.

Jodie
    x

11. daxy

daxy Civilian

I am in! This is a great idea! :) :D

12. lostladyknight

Yay!

Great!

Welcome.

PM me if you have any questions about anything, otherwise, welcome aboard and I hope you enjoy your stay.

-LLK

13. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Daxy, you found us. :D Like LLK said, any questions, het in touch.

Hope you have fun here and welcome to our family!

Jodie
    x

14. JoeDaPony

JoeDaPony Civilian

Wow! :) I'm confused... I got an PM from a "lostladyknight" on FanFiction.net Asking me to come here, So I did! Can someone give me like a quick run through of what's happening? This group looks great though! Thanks for the invite! I love reading and reviewing fics!

*JoeDaPony*

15. lostladyknight

JoeDaPony I just sent you a PM with information. Let me know if you have any trouble checking it.