CSI Fan Fiction Critique Group.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by lostladyknight, Sep 30, 2007.

1. lostladyknight

lostladyknight Pathologist

Thanks for all of the GREAT critiques. I really appreciate them.

2. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Last day to post critiques, guys. :D Tomorrow, we'll have a new one up.

Thanks,

Jodie

x

3. Jennifer

Jennifer Lab Technician

TQ: To me, an original character that is not integral to a story isn't much of a hindrance, but more a minor "huh? who?" in the minds of the reader when they come upon someone they aren't familiar with. However, one that IS integral to the story should be one that is as well thought out and developed as Abbie is, or the story suffers. If the OC is written inconsistently or one-dimensionally, the reader wouldn't feel the character, wouldn't feel their emotions, wouldn't get to know them. It's likely they wouldn't follow the story to the end either.

I have to say, LLK, you did an amazing job creating Abbie. I haven't read that many stories where there was an OC so central to the story, but my God I could picture her in my mind so well. It's as if she's been on the show since the first season and we know her as much as we know Nick or Catherine.

I, too, can tell just how much research must have gone into this story. It was very informative! I feel like I've taken a crash course in psychology. As well, the regular characters were spot on. And I had to smile when Abbie gave Grissom a piece of her mind, I actually snickered. ;)

Aside from the errors that others pointed out, I did notice that some sentences seemed unfinished or had words left out, like...

He pulled off the road and turned off the engine and then with a cracked smile in Abbie’s direction. (The way it's written it seems as if Nick is about to say something. Perhaps you meant to say "...turned off the engine and then cracked a smile in Abbie's direction." because the sentence ended there and there was no dialog)

and

The air of hardness and anger had been replaced with disappointment, almost saddens (almost saddens what?)

I admire people that have the imagination and the stamina to write a stand alone story like this one (ie, stories that aren't a part of or continue a particular episode), because I don't think I do. So, kudos to you for doing such a great job at it. You've got me hooked, and I can't wait to read more, to find out just what it is that Abbie needs Grissom's help on.

4. lostladyknight

Hey guys this week we're going to do something a little different. This is going to span two weeks. And Anyone is welcome to participate. This week we're not going to worry about the people who didn't participate last week.

For the first week we're going to do a "fic by challenge thing" where I'm going to post a challenge, in just a few moments, and everyone who is interested in participating is going to write a story and post it somewhere then send me the link. It will, of course, have to fit into certain peramaters.

Then the next week I am going to "secret santa" style assign everyone that participated to a fic that they will read and then post their critique of on the critique group. You will only post a critique of the fic you were assigned to. There will be specific rules for posting, but those won't occur until next week.

So this week all you do is write a fanfic within the peramaters that I give. If you write a fic you are signing up for a "secret santa" critique next week... so submitting a fic to me requires you to critique next week.

Please don't post the fics anywhere in relation to the group... well what I mean is don't make a public post in the group about it, just PM me the link. It's just more fun that way.

So, for this week's challenge:

1. Topic: "Family."
    2. Must Involve: "I Want to Break Free" By Queen. It's a song. Feel free to look it up, if you so choose.
    3. Must be 2,500 words or less.
    4. Must be PM'd to me or Adorelo by Sunday December 2, 2007.
    5. Answer TQ's in the CSI Critique Group Thread.
    6. Can be in any CSI universe. So long as it is CSI.
    7. PG 13 or lower guys. Or, Rated T.

The TQ will be posted by Adorelo shortly.

5. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Count me in, it sounds fun! Here's the TQ:

TQ:

When a challange is answered, do you find the elements that must be included break up the flow of the story, making it seem 'jerky?' Or do you find it is an exciting new way for both reader and writer to explore a fascet of the story or fandom that they otherwise may never have tried?

Thanks to LLK for helping me with this one :)

6. SpeedsDaughter

SpeedsDaughter CSI Level One

This sounds awesome!!! I'm in.

7. lostladyknight

So just wanted to make sure that everyone knew that I'm expecting PM's of the stories and what not.

You'll still be answering the TQ here.

Aaaand... I'd kinda love a quick little post just letting me know I can expect something from you.

Thanks Guys!

8. Jennifer

Jennifer Lab Technician

You can count me in, but if we need a little extra time...can we get it? I only have a few free hours each night and those few free hours can't be spent only writing fanfiction.

9. lostladyknight

Well... I'm sure we can work something out.

Will you please PM me with an idea as to when you think you can have it done? Or with any info you have.

I think this conversation would be best suited in a more private form.

Thanks Dear,

-LLK

10. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

I'm glad we've had some responses! :D

Anyone else? Come on guys, it'll be fun!

-- Jodie

11. CalleighD

CalleighD Lab Technician

This sounds like fun, although, I haven't really written anything great yet (I'm new to the world of fanfic) I'll see what i come up with though :D

12. lostladyknight

That's all we ask.

Anything is welcome!

13. ILuvJonathanTogo

ILuvJonathanTogo Coroner

I would join, because I like reading the fan fics and responding about them. But, I've never written a fan fic before :lol:

14. lostladyknight

Well, you're still welcome to join. You absolutely don't have to write to participate.

This week might not be the best tine to join in, because we're doing something where you have to write and critique this week.

You're welcome to take a stab at writing something though. Just has to be about Family... can be as short as you like.

If you're looking to join in why don't you PM me... I have an idea how we can work you in this week.

-llk

15. ILuvJonathanTogo

ILuvJonathanTogo Coroner

Thanks, but I think Ill wait until next week. :D But Ill still check back in here and see whats going on.