CSI books.

You can preface your story with a page that states that the events in the book occur before the current season. Over in the Star Trek section of Pocket Star, sometimes a book will mention it takes place between the TV series and movies, or after events in a certain episode.

Dynamo1 said:
You can preface your story with a page that states that the events in the book occur before the current season. Over in the Star Trek section of Pocket Star, sometimes a book will mention it takes place between the TV series and movies, or after events in a certain episode.
Yeah, I might have to do something like that if new characters start appearing in subsequent episodes this year, or the old characters starting acting significantly different with the new characters or each other. I do, however, have the advantage of a real crime lab for reference. Everytime we hire a new employee, the 'dynamics' of the lab noticably shift a bit, usually depending on the nature of the new employee. In real life, new employees tend to be relatively quiet and cautious as they fit themselves into a new work environment; however, I think we can expect any new characters on the TV show to be aggressively 'interesting.' :)

KenGoddard said:
:)That's quite all right. Plenty going on with the TV show and characters to keep you all on edge and distracted. BTW, I did include what I hope are some satisfying GRS moments in the IN EXTREMIS book, and I had some interesting ideas of how to put Gil & Sara in danger in the next book (whereby, in order to stay unharmed, they'd have to set aside their emotional ties in favor of cold logic), but those ideas are clearly no longer useful. Sigh. As you might suspect, it's a little frustrating to be at the mercy of the TV script writers (whom I help out every now and then with wildlife-related CSI info), but it's also an interesting challenge ... and certainly more fun than dealing with the upper echelons of the US Federal Government (my day job).
*is embarrassed* ooh, some GSR on the new book? so... the books ARE based on the episodes on tv. :lol: :p in that case, some of the char developments in the books are actually 'canon'? or it depends on the character/s? *feels silly*

mj0621 said:
*is embarrassed* ooh, some GSR on the new book? so... the books ARE based on the episodes on tv. :lol: :p in that case, some of the char developments in the books are actually 'canon'? or it depends on the character/s? *feels silly*
Yes, In EXTREMIS (like the other CSI/Las Vegas books by Max Collins) is based on the actual TV series characters (Gil, Catherine, Warrick, Sara, et al) and the CSI/Las Vegas 'stage sets'; but the story itself is new and not based on any aired episode. In essence, I came up with new episode/story in which all of the characters work a pair possibly-related crime scenes (just like on the TV espiodes); but it will be printed in a book format instead of acted and broadcast. The trick was to make certain that I got the 'voices' of the each of the characters correct as they've been developed and evolved by the scriptwriters.

And yes, after realizing that GSRs did not stand for gunshot residues [I hadn't watched all of the episodes of the first six seasons before starting in on In EXTREMIS ... my turn to be embarrassed], I sat down, carefully watched the emotional interactions of Gil and Sara in the episodes of the last two seasons, and then gave them one more opportunity to be emotionally involved with each other. But, being a thriller writer, I decided to enhance their emotions by putting them in extreme danger at the same time. If you happen to read the story, please let me know if you think I got the 'voice and tone' of their emotions correct.

BTW, if IN EXTREMIS is ever converted into a film script (highly unlikely), CBS would probably have to use a lot of stunt doubles in the filming. I didn't treat your beloved characters all that gently in the story. :devil:

KenGoddard said:
Yes, In EXTREMIS (like the other CSI/Las Vegas books by Max Collins) is based on the actual TV series characters (Gil, Catherine, Warrick, Sara, et al) and the CSI/Las Vegas 'stage sets'; but the story itself is new and not based on any aired episode. In essence, I came up with new episode/story in which all of the characters work a pair possibly-related crime scenes (just like on the TV espiodes); but it will be printed in a book format instead of acted and broadcast. The trick was to make certain that I got the 'voices' of the each of the characters correct as they've been developed and evolved by the scriptwriters.

And yes, after realizing that GSRs did not stand for gunshot residues [I hadn't watched all of the episodes of the first six seasons before starting in on In EXTREMIS ... my turn to be embarrassed], I sat down, carefully watched the emotional interactions of Gil and Sara in the episodes of the last two seasons, and then gave them one more opportunity to be emotionally involved with each other. But, being a thriller writer, I decided to enhance their emotions by putting them in extreme danger at the same time. If you happen to read the story, please let me know if you think I got the 'voice and tone' of their emotions correct.

BTW, if IN EXTREMIS is ever converted into a film script (highly unlikely), CBS would probably have to use a lot of stunt doubles in the filming. I didn't treat your beloved characters all that gently in the story.
^^ it's one of the reasons i love collecting and reading the csi books. its not on tv (the plot) but chars are based on the eppies (depending on what season :lol:) its a new point of view.. a fresh idea... (i hope you got my idea :p)
:lol: welcome to the world of fans... specifically shipping :p there's alot of lingos with ships/pairings. sorry didnt clear that up. (-_-); if i read it, i'll be glad to tell what i think. (^_^)
:lol: now im curious. :p stunt doubles eh? cool.

They are great! Thanks for sharing them with us KRAD. :D

May 2008? It seems so far away and yet I'm sure it will come around before we know it. :lol:

Awesome, thanks for sharing! :D

Sounds like two really interesting cases, I definitely can't wait to read it.

I just found Dead of Winter in the bookshop, so I guess it's going to take me longer than May 2008 to get this one.

Ah, finally managed to get my new web site designed and posted without frying my brains ... just in time for the publication of IN EXTREMIS today. :)

The new site has info/photos on my coral reef CSI adventures as well as a section of anecdotes (at the CSI page) about how things went wrong at several of my earlier crime scene investigations. Thought this might appeal to those of you with somewhat-evil senses of humor.

New site address: kengoddardbooks.com

And yes, I'll get those missing photos uploaded sometime today.

I hope that Pocket Star, the publisher of the CSI books, is making plans for several new titles to help us through the television writers strike. I have a few books around the apartment that are backed up and this will give me a chance to catch up.

Book publishing works on a much longer schedule than TV production, so the schedule for CSI books was established quite some time ago, and isn't affected in either direction by the strike.

Here's what is currently scheduled to be coming out over the next few months (note that this is subject to change, save for the first two):

• CSI: In Extremis by Ken Goddard (out now)
    CSI: Mortal Wounds by Max Allan Collins (trade paperback omnibus of Double Dealer, Sin City, and Cold Burn, out now)
    CSI: Miami: Cut and Run by Donn Cortez (March 2008)
    CSI: NY: Four Walls by Keith R.A. DeCandido (May 2008)
    CSI: Nevada Rose by Jerome Preisler (July 2008)
    CSI: Miami: Right to Die by Jeff Mariotte (September 2008)

Thanks for the update on the book publishing cycle! Still some thing to look forward to no matter when or how long the shows may be on hiatus.

Back