CSI books.

Discussion in 'Merchandise' started by Daquien, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Phobia

Phobia Hit and Run

I have only:
    Cold Burn
    CSI: Sin City
    CSI: Double Dealer
    No other book is released in my country...Can you tell me in a few words what are the other books about?(LV,M,NY)

2. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I bought Deluge ages ago as well. I was already half way through it when I stopped reading (real life got in the way) and I just picked it up where I left off today. I can't seem to recall any mention of Adam in it though. Chad and Jane, yes. Adam, no. And it's really irritating that Sid's last name keeps popping up as 'Hammerbeck.' Yes, there are some misspellings, I even caught one in Spanish. :lol:

3. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

^^I don't know what happens with the spelling, I have a Spanish translated version of Dead of Winter where insisted in calling Flack "Black"... :lol:

4. lady_erudite

lady_erudite Victim

Yes, I've re-read "Deluge", and I discovered my mistake -- I'm so sorry! :( But, still... Among Kaminsky-written CSI: NY novelizations, "Deluge" was the best -- for me, at least! :)

5. mandy9578

mandy9578 CSI Level Two

I've finally finished Deluge but I can't say it's the best one Kaminsky has written since I've just started to read Dead of Winter...Anyway, about the Adam thing in Deluge, I think the confusion stems from the fact that there was a character called Adam in the story and this Adam is very crucial to the plot.

6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I'm reading the CSI: Crime Scene Investigation books. I've read In Extremis

Just finished Double Dealer and I'm now reading Sin City.

I really like the stories and the books so far. My one gripe so far is: Does the author actually watch the show? :mad:

In Double Dealer they mention Nick's "late girlfriend Kristy". How he would buy bath oils for her. Kristy was never his girlfriend, he just slept with her.

Now in Sin City they mention that Doc Robbins first name is David when it's actually Albert. Now, I'll have to watch the first season again, because maybe it was David and was switched to Albert, but I don't think so.

So again, do the authors watch this show? :rolleyes:

Though this won't stop me from reading the books, but they could be more accurate in some of the stuff. Just had to get that off my chest.

7. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

stokesgirl, since the books go from the writers to the editors months before being released, the authors might be given information from the producers of the show that could have been changed in the scripts before the episodes are actually filmed or shown. Some books still had the Las Vegas team together even though they were split up a few seasons ago. And there have been some bloopers or continuity flaws in the shows, the CBS website data, and the book The CSI Companion, that made it into the novels and graphic novels.

8. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Dynamo1 thanks for the info, I can believe that.

However, Double Dealer was published 2-3 years after that episode with Nick and Kristy aired. So I'm wondering if these books take much longer to produce or someone's not paying attention.

Though you're right about the continuity problems with the show. I'm sure this is part of the problem too. Didn't think of that, thanks.

I still love the books though and will keep reading them. Looking forward to other books too. I almost have them all.

9. candygirl1uk

candygirl1uk Pathologist

Ahh you know what I think that sometimes as well... I've read most of the CSI las Vegas books and there ok, easy read. They try to follow the show style maybe...

Oh i love your Nick pics....

Yeah I read that and was like ugh he only had sex with her, he didnt date her or anything.

It would be nice for the books to be a bit more hmm raunchy. For example we know about GSR but would love to read a bit of slasher between say Nick and Greg, or a budding relationship between Hodges and Wendy.

Another thing that annoys me, the books should say- for exmaple in the Buffy books- they indicates what season the book is based on. Regarding CSI if it mentions about Greg and its season 8 it might touch upon his beatings etc...

10. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Thanks!

That would be nice.

But you're right they are easy reads. They keep me interested.

11. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

I just recently bought CSI:In Extremis by Ken Goddard and, I must say, he is an extremely good writer. He makes the point that a true forensic scientist not only has to gather and test the collected evidence but that he/she also must interpretet said evidence, otherwise he/she is reduced to the role of a technician.

12. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

:lol: There's all of that, and more, in the realms of fan fiction. ;)

I do kind of agree about wanting an indication of which season a book is based on. But, having only read one book from the franchise, and that was NY, I could tell early on that it was supposed to be based just after season 2 because it mentioned Flack's injuries from the explosion. And yet, even knowing that, there were elements in the book that would have suggested it was written earlier, such as the lab techs mentioned were out of date. I don't know anything about how the books are written, but I guess things change very quickly in the show therefore from one draft to another of the book it's possible it's already out of date.

I think that as long as the characters in the books have the same characteristics that you would expect on the show then it's really the other aspects of the books that are important, such as the actual cases. If it's an entertaining read and the cases are interesting, and the characters ring true then it's good enough for me. Not too demanding are we? :) :lol:

My assumption is that the writers of the books are chosen to write them because they are good writers, rather than necessarily being huge fans of the show. Whereas we are probably a little more obsessive over every little thing, that even with the most serious research the books may never match up to our exacting standards. :lol: And I mean that with the greatest respect to the writers and to all of us obsessive fans...

I don't think 'In Extremis' is out in the UK yet, and I've not read an LV book yet, but I might have a read when it comes out. Thanks for sharing your review. :)

13. VManso

VManso CSI Level Two

I remember when Ken Godddard was writing the manuscripts for the book. At the time, I was very skeptical of his writing style and asked him if his style was similar to that of MAC's. Now that I've read the final product, again , I state that his point of view is solid.

14. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i just recently read 'In Extremis' as well. i wasn't too thrilled with it but the story was alright. to me there was too much Grissom and Catherine and at times it got a bit confusing.

i'm sure this has been asked but i'm asking again.... does anyone know when the CSI:NY novel is supposed to be coming out? i saw the cover for it a while ago and can't seem to find it anywhere.

15. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Howdy, Cowboy. According to Amazon, CSI: New York: Four Walls by fellow board member Keith R. A. DeCandido is due out April 29, 2008. Pocket Star / Simon & Schuster will also have an ebook version released May 1.