Cow Thread - Moo Moo Here and Moo Moo There

Oh Repekka... her udder has kind of... teats point to different direction, to the sides, She's incredibly hard to milk and would only get worse neaxt year with new calving. Besides she has infections easily. Like now and we've still treated her but doesn't look good.

Of course you never know what's on cow's mind. So there's a good thing to stand behind the fence. I visited on the field where was one cattle, they even had still horns and I had to look left and right when I was there :lol: The owner wanted to show us her old cow, she had milked over 100,000kg in her life! he wanted to show her because we bought her latest calf, a bull.

So you never know does a cattle have aggressive individuals. We haven't had a cow that is angry to humans for 10-12 years.

How pretty they are :D Esp the white one!

I took soem pics of our heifers, have to post those later on.

look forward to your pics! :)

the bull is leaving us on Saturday. I think he fulfilled his purpose. :lol:
I'm happy that he leaves us. OMG, bulls are eating a lot! :eek:
He was very well-behaved BTW.
and he has a black (dark blue) tongue. :lol:

Ah, here we go with a few older heifers.

Teresa , she's such a pretty moo. I hope she doesn't have calving problem.
Tiramisu will be our next "breeding index".She has such a great genes, I hope she'll become a good moo. She has calving ahead on Xmas :eek: Some fertility problems so will have a Northern Finncattle calf.
Tuhkimo (Cinderella) . Man, she's fat. Her time is in Feb.She got the name because she was such an ugly calf when she was born :p
When we first time called AI bull, that stupid woman asked "is this a twin? because she doesn't have 'the stuff' " Me and mom were like :eek: and said... "no point to put semen then" and few months later, before putting her away we thought we check her again when next AI bull person arrives. And she said "Oh, here's everything." and now she's preggies :D

Thanks for the pics! :)
The cows are very pretty and the names are so creative. :lol:
the bull left us Wednesday. baby moo is soo sad. He was the step-father. :lol:
and also the cows looked so sad. now the white cow is the boss again.

Since the bull was probably a leader, it may cause that kind of feeling ;)

We'll have three moos leaving next week.
One who's udder isn't exactly the prettiest (difficult to milk) and we treated infection but it didn't help. ANother young, Tahiti, because she keeps sleeping in wrong place. Not where they suppose to be so she'd stay clean but in where they walk and she's so dirty and her udder/teats are injured. We've tried everything she'd learn but no. Actually, she was like normal cows until week before calving. I don't know why.
third... oh, she's just. Not so good cow. :lol:

Just FYI, Taru (the lady in Icon Challenge) got a babymoogirl today ;) She got name Vokki (=Wok) bit shy girl.

Anyways.. this was something what I remember seeing when BSE came up. It's in Finnish but I always laugh at it.

Click first on the button under left moo (normal looking cow).. it says "healthy cow sound" and text "If your cow sounds like this, just knock her down and put in the kettle"

Then click one on the right. it says "crazy cow scream". and then text "if your cow sounds liek this, it's better just to knock her down and bury her"

http://aimo.kareltek.fi/mpoppoo/hullu.html

ETA:remember to keep sound on ;)

Nice pic BlueCurl!!!

Scientists want to make "cow-man".
6124uc5.gif

on wednesday in my animal breeding genetics class we spent the whole hour going over livestock breeds. and i found out my favourite cows on the backroads from london to guelph are scottish highland cows :) whenever we went by that farm i would usually just yell 'pull over! i want to see the hairy cows!' :lol:
i think in canada the farms are pretty much dominated by angus for meat (mmmm....angus.... *drool*) and holstein for milk.
im pretty sure im the only non-farmer in that class, but its all pretty easy genetic math stuff so right now its my highest mark :D

^Moogenetics is phun. Tho never got to study Animal Science (even I tried :p damn math).

Highland is sooo cute :D I always get excited when I get to fair or something similar and they have highlands :D

Holstein(-Friesians) are most common dairy cattle all over the world (almost), except Sweden and Finland where ayshire is the main moo.

Canada has also excellent ayshire breeding (me ordered some Canadian bull semen... a bull called Mischief...whole name Larcg Grove Mischief...another is Don-Sher Hector) :D and of course jersey breed (which is new here, and I ordered Canadian semen from that breed also :D Going to crossbreed with ayshire)

wow, somehow I missed all the new posts here. :(

BlueCurl, the pic is soo beautiful.
DaWacko, congrats to the baby moo. again, your names are soo creative, like them.
the link is soo funny. :lol:

and now some pics.
I hope I haven't post them before.
pic
pic
pic

oh my goodness they are so cute!!!
last year when i went to the royal winter fair in toronto we went around to see all the cows and bulls before the horse show started. i felt sorry for the one cow whos stall was right next to the 'hot beef on a bun' cart :( :lol: those show cows get treated so well, they had a blow drying station to make sure their hair is all pretty before going into the show ring! and also being licked by all the baby moos is an experience everyone should have at least once in their lifetime :lol:

Aww inge those are so megaextracute :D I always save your highlandmoopics :D

Our bull got name "Velho" which basicly means "wizard"

Trimming moos in fair is fun to watch. All that haircut, hairspray (which one Canadian expert, who was in the fair in August said not to use to your own hair, because you cannot get rid of it without cutting all off :p ) and washing moos and drying. And those animals have done that a lot so they just stand there looking happy :lol:

I was once testing how well I do it, but I only brushed one moo's tail hair so it got all fluffy.

I'd like to go to fair and show ring with my Eastern Finncattle heifer some day but since I've never done it I am afraid to go since other's have done it for years (except in my age - those groups just look at the cow - not like in Junior Handler). Because it's near extinction (300 pure left) and this year's fair there wasn't any of those so I hoped when it comes to near me in 2009 I could perhaps be in :D

I have few pics from fair what was in Denmark in last January. There's much more breeds what we don't have here,especially two adorable small beefcattles, Dexter and Galloway. Belted Galloway to be exact (it's crossbred from Dutch Belted and Galloway)

Dexter
Belted Galloway sleeping
Galloway from the side
Angusmoos
Highlands..yayness!

Back