Cow Thread - Moo Moo Here and Moo Moo There

The cow kept staring at me today again. And theother one escaped when dad took water to them :lol: She tried to get closer to her calf, even it was taken away from her already yesterday. It's hard to take them off but oh geez if they start together few days and then seperate them, all the mooing :eek: Now I wait our Ruby would start calving. She's huge ayshire and this is her 2nd calving. Or 1st real since 1st ended up to miscarriage on 8th month.

Then few pics, not babymoos but moos anyways.

Niittokone (Mower) is our old lady. She'll get calf in early August and is 7 years old :)
Tahiti eating Obviously she thinks human flesh is yummy.
Unikko shows how to keep nasils clean

cows are approx. ten months pregnant, right?
the whole moo stuff is totally new to me. :lol:

your pics are sooo cute. the last pic made me giggle. It's funny when they are doing this. :lol:

oh, you separate the babies from their mother. :(
I know this is neccessary because you need the milk, I understand, but it's still sad.
We don't need the milk, so our calves stay with their mother.

Yeah, beefcattle is different.

Actually milking breeds (such as we have) carry 9 months +1 week. But I think for beefcattle it's longer.

I grew up on a dairy farm. When I was very little, there was a calf born that was real small and near death. I started bottle feeding, taking good care of her. I called her "Betsy". She grew into a great pet. I would walk out to the pasture to meet her, she would walk home with me and the rest of the cows would follow. I had her for about 20 years. Oh the tears when I had to sell her because she could hardly move or eat anymore. She's still my all-time favorite pet.

hehe :lol: I can't believe we actually have a cow thread! I was wanting to start one - one of my friends is a member of a few different forums and they all have cow threads... I wonder what it is about cows that makes them special enough to have their own thread... *ponders*

I'm loving those pictures WillowsWannaBe, especially the first one :D

Puffy

I know it's not real, but I still want to meet Puffy! :)

:( We have to put our Ruby away. She just got her babymoo a week and half ago but doesn't look good. She's huge so life is bit difficult to her, esp milking. One teat is blocked alraedy, one has blood in the milk and one infected. So she goes away on Thursday :( I expected her to be really really great and she's only 3 years old.

oh, I'm so sorry. :( :(
It's always hard when you have to give an animal away. especially when you know her for such a long time.

Can't she stay and just live her life?
or is she in pain?
:(

She's udder is huge and it's bit difficult to live with it. And as I said, if only one teat from four produces good milk... it's hard to keep. And she's extremely difficult to milk because of the big udder and then she's really restless to milk, because it's hard for her to be withothers (because she's so big). See, we milk 5 of 'em at the same time, they stand in a row. So we have to put it away anyways, but we chose to put her away now. Along with Ramona, who has had serious leg problems (paralysed in Jan after calving)
:( Thankfully she got a daughter so now I have new moo from her.

Y'know... our Ruby got more days. We changed her to our leader cow (which didn't make it any easier) Because she had so bad udder infection.

Anyways... thought time for some pics. I was three days at agricultural fair last weekend.

Pics for inge, I think these look more familiar :D

Little one
...and his mommy
by the river
...and a few more

Ah, I'd have many pics but.... here's one nice.it's Northern Finncattle heifer

Isn't she pretty?

and then our own cattle... our oldest cow, Niittokone (Mower, 7 yrs old) got a babygirl two days ago :D

here they are
The reason why calf is all red is the fact that her dad is Western Finncattle (=usually all red) even mom is ayshire :D

awww, love ALL the pics. Thanks!!
the last pic is soo cute and the 'isnt she pretty pic' is also nice. yes, she's pretty. :D oh, she isn't your cow, isnt' she?
I'm glad that Ruby is still there.

the horns from the higland cattles are very impressive.
my father orderd a rent-bull. He should come to us in the next few days. I hope we get the black one. I have to make some pics. maybe we have a little black moo next year or a black/white moo. :lol:

Nope, all except the one were taken in the fair. :D

I asked the owner of those Highlands if she has any other colours and she said no and hadn't never seem white one. She also said that colour can be anything so it isn't in a way that white gets white, but it can be brown or black.

you asked her if she has ever seen a white highland? :lol:

6 out of 8 babies from the rent bull are black.
I want a black one. :lol:
Kidding, all baby moos are cute.

I did and she said she's never seen a white one :D

I have quite a lot of pics from fair, since I was there three days and during those there was holstein, jersey, finncattle shows, then Junior Handler and Showmanship and then... national ayshire day :D Beefcattle was on sunday so no pics of them besides these Highlands that I already posted.

Back