Cow Thread - Moo Moo Here and Moo Moo There

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Mar 9, 2006.

1. CSIWisconsin48

CSIWisconsin48 Hit and Run

lol a cow thread, i LOVE it, i don't have any cows, but if any one knows where Wisconsin is, theres cows everywhere. seriously, my school is next to a farm..with cows... just don't slap me cuz i have no cows :p

2. wibble

wibble Corpse

^ Thanks guys re my dog. It was shame, he wasn't even old :(

There are quite many cows near where I live on this meadow. I usually take pics of them when I go out walking that way, especially if there are young calfs there :D

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Our moos are not outside so they don't care :D Our oldest dog on the other hand cares :( poor her.

4. Ducky

5. Roosey

Roosey Captain

Awh, how cute! I really love the running-picture. And the snow.. I want your snow!

6. wibble

wibble Corpse

Lovely moo pics Ducky :D thanks for sharing those. When are you going to let her out again?

7. Ducky

:D They are quite easy to handle when they are alone.. and since Finncattle is very curious breed, there is no trouble to get them out and go thru strange doors (unlike ayrshires or holsteins) :D Because I had to take her outside from different door so the 16 others won't come out :p

And wasn't a problem to get back inside, she just walked behind me :p

Perhaps tomorrow if I get home near 4pm, so there would be some light. If not, then Tuesday. Depending what kind of weather we'll have.

She'll have babymoo in May :D

8. inge

inge CSI Level Two

Thanks for the pictures!
    cute cow. :)

my highland cattles would love snow and low temperatures. but we have no snow here and it's warm here.
    I so wanted to take pictures with snow and moo, but no chance. :(

my laptop crashed a few weeks ago and I lost a couple of moo pics. :(

9. Ducky

The snow improves their leg health. It kills bacteria and stuff :D

Anyways, I was outside again with that moo :D I took some hay with me so she was muching that for a while. I tried to get her to the field, where is more snow, but she only walked on tractor tracks and when those, gave me dumb look and she turned on that and walked back :lol: MAN! She's spoiled! So I had to give up. Then I just walked thru the door and she walked after me. Ah she's so easy to go outside with :D

Would take some of our ayrshires as well, but I don't know how well they will come thru that strange door.

10. Ducky

Moo moo here and...

Meh, we are having bad luck with moos. Lots of ill moos, especially little moos :( Actually two dead already... one was born dead and another took only few breaths and died.

What I wanted to brought up is that I read from one Animal health magazine (pigs and bovine mostly) about American farms. Meh, there's so much... well, if you are american and vegeratian, I totally understand.

They use hormones - it's normal thing to do after calving and they say it's the only way to make good money. I mean wtf? EU forbids extremely all kind of hormones.

The thing is US doesn't have the A-list diseases what we have here in Europe, but has lots and lots of those that we don't have here. Blue tongue is common there and it's rare here (I'm not sure if they found some in Belgium last year)

And then there was text about this one farm... that doesn't take their cows to fairs so when those lil' moos are ...little, they put tight rubberband around their tail, so it will die and fall off so the tail doesn't disturb milking :eek: OMG! That's another thing what I cannot understand and it's cruel! We'd never approve that kind of behaviour!

11. inge

inge CSI Level Two

That's really cruel. poor moos!

I hope your moos will getter better soon DaWacko! :(
    and sad to hear that two babies died.

My parents practices organic acriculture.
    That means a lot of regulations and controls from certain organisations.
    The animals should be able to go outside their barn whenever they want. Their are also strict regulations concerning food and a lot of other stuff.
    It's only allowed to give them organic food.

We have also some fields and there are also tons of regulations.

The other thing is that there are so many transports of living animals and they are too long and the animals suffer a lot.

People who don't care much about animals shouldn't forget that they are eating all the hormones.

12. inge

inge CSI Level Two

Baby moo!!!! :D

She was born on last Saturday and she is soo cute.
    The mother is the brown cow.
    The brown/white cow and her 'brother' weren't vey nice. They attacked the baby.
    Some nasty fights between the mother and the brown/white cow followed, but the mother won!
    now, there's perfect harmony.

and now, some pics. she's one week old as I took the pics.
    mommy and baby
    pic
    pic
    pic
    pic
    pic
    pic
    pic
    eating

I need a name for the baby. It should start with a 'S'.
    any suggestions?

The white cow will deliver soon, within the next few days.
    :D

13. Ducky

Oh man they are so cute :D Or she is so cute :D

What's the name of her mommy? We often use a name that rhymes with mom's name or then is somehow in same category

Like our Tahiti's daughter is Vanuatu, then our Lily's daughter was called Rose

So you guys are in letter S, we have Y Ä and Ö this year :)

What we have beginning with S are... Silvia and Sopraano (doh, soprano... would be Sopran in German :p ) then we had Siirappi (= Syrup = Sirup). Saga is always a nice name

14. inge

inge CSI Level Two

Mommy is called Selena.

Every female baby has a name with S. Selena's mother is called Shila.
    but maybe I should break with this tradition. :p

BTW, nice suggestions, thanks. :)

Isn't it difficult to find names?

How many calves do you expect this year?

15. Ducky

Oh yeah, it's bit hard... that's why there is three letters instead of one :p We've used mostly letter Y so far, two start with Ä (Ähävä, which is old word for 'ace' and then Äksy that can be translated as 'grumpy' or something)

If either one of our jersey crossbreeding calves will be female, it will be called Yelina :D

We've got 8 calves already (and three dead :() and are expecting to get 20 from mid July to early Dec. Busiest are mid July (5 in a week and half) and September (6)
    Youngest bull will be sold away to ...place that keeps just bulls because we have no space.

One of the dead ones was my special Easternfinncattlebabycalf :( Just something what we couldn't prevent :( and it was goddamn female! :( :( It's always worse.

Then more S suggestions could be... Saturn and... umm.. Seleste and... yeah.