Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Thread

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by MrsGiovinazzo, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Re: Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Threa

Well. I know that it's Larry Romano who's Carmine's cousin. ;) But ever since I first mistook Ray Romano for the guy's name, I always wonder if they're related in some way whenever I watch Everybody Loves Raymond. :lol:

Back to the topic ... I'm mainly impressed by the versatility in his acting. :) Going from Lobster Boy / Naked Banana Dude to Guitar Weed Dude to Submarine Torpedo Guy to Soldier in Mogadishu to CSI detective? That's one interesting range of roles right there! (Gosh, I'd love to see him in that lobster suit again, just for the hilarity of it. :p) Some roles I think that would be awesome of him to play:

1) A homicidal psycho - We've seen him as a good guy loads of times, but how about him as a bad guy ... a really nasty bad guy? Admit it, you know you wanna see how far he can lose it. ;) And I meant his sanity, by the way.

2) A man who's terminally ill or dying - I've always felt it takes really good acting talent to portray the physical and psychological aspects of a person who knows their days are numbered, and do it well. Especially, if they're dying from a terminal illness like cancer or AIDS. A role like this would be an excellent opportunity to showcase his emotional range.

3) A father - C'mooon, think about it. Carmine on screen playing with a baby, or kids. Gotta give that some points for cuteness, right? :D Heck, he's already so affectionate towards cute doggies, it would be lovely to see his interaction with a baby or kids. Or the role can always go the other way, which would make the dad role, uhm, not such a nice one. :eek:

4) A gay man - You'd think Hollywood would be more open-minded about this one, what with all the violence and sex and such in their films. If the gay role is a comedic one where it's being made fun of and it's not the main role, you'll notice people don't think it's a big deal. But when a movie like Brokeback Mountain came out, well ... You guys know the controversy that followed Brokeback Mountain and its two main actors, right? :p It'll be controversial role, a challenging one as well.

Heh, those are just some ideas. If any of you have thoughts on roles he can play, do share them. :)

Going slightly OT, I really, really want to watch Fallen Arches. It seems to have garnered more positive reviews from you guys than Learning Curve (and I've already seen the scene from that particular movie, which was ... very nice ;)). Where did you guys get your copy of the film from? Amazon.com?

(Can you believe it's taken me an hour just to make this post show up on the thread? Awful net connection ...)

2. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

Going on ^^ post, I really, really want to see him do a romantic comedy. I'm a hopeless romantic and I love seeing people fall in love in the movies. *sigh* The homicidal psycho is pretty good too though.

3. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

It was a while ago ... I think it was from Amazon Marketplace (the private sellers on Amazon).

I've seen The Learning Curve (it's called Dangerous Seductions here in Australia :eek: Truly awful name :lol:). I haven't mentioned it, well, because ... I didn't think much of it, to be honest.

4. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

I just had to comment on this because people usually think it's easy to play a bad guy while IMHO it takes a hell of a lot of ability to deliver a good (read: convincing) performace.

We've ve seen Carmine portraying an angry Danny (and I have to refer to this since I'm missing his whole filmography) before with great results so I'd love to see him as a really bad guy. Another actor I like played a psycho on a TV show not long ago and I was blown away by his performace. I've watched him for years on a completely different role and it was like a kick to the stomach to watch that (because yeah, you eventually tend to associate the actor with the character) but man, what a great experience!

5. CarmineFan

CarmineFan Lab Technician

That's what I think, too.
    It's great how Carmine represent the feelings of the character. On the on hand angree because he feels that no-one stands behind him and on the other hand helpless and sad.
    It's not that easy to represent so many feelings reliably to the audiance. In 'On the Job' Carmine shows all his talent by representing Danny's feelings as those were his.

6. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

I think the four roles Kimmy mentioned she'd like to see Carmine play sound fantastic! Stuff we've never seen him do before. I'd love to see the homicidal psycho one. Not just an ordinary killer, but someone truly, truly f***ed in the head. I'd love to see how far that range can go. We've seen anger from him, but I'd love to see it pushed somewhere completely psychotic.

Lookaboomerang - I hope the man doesn't take role selection advice from you. :lol: Romantic comedy? Noooooo. He could definitely do that, but it'd be a waste of that beautiful range. I'd like to see him do dark, edgier stuff.

Yeah, there are only about 10 second of that film that most fans enjoy. :lol: Though personally I think the scene in the convertible is hotter than the most obvious 10 seconds. Carmine's performance was decent. You could feel the character getting sucked into the drugs and crime and I suppose that's really all that one can ask of an actor in a shitty movie.

7. crankyjules

I agree entirely. Just the thought of him in a role like that gets my adrenaline pumping and my skin sparking.

Gary Sinise immediately comes to mind when we talk about evil characters. Think 'Ransom'. Gary is such a phenomenal character actor that he seriously was detestable in that. Carmine in a Jimmy Shaker type of role would be something to watch.

Even BETTER ... a character like De Niro's Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver. Someone we empathise with at first, but who we then watch descending into madness. True psychotic madness. Brrr. That movie just slowly sucked your head in. De Niro's performance was phenomenal. Now THAT would be something I'd want to see Carmine do. My atoms are buzzing just thinking of it :lol:

:D Subtlety & leaving something to our imagination is usually more erotic than the more obvious. Although I fully admit that the 'most obvious 10 seconds' made my stomach drop 10 feet below ground level and I started to burn :eek: but this is the wrong thread for that so I'll say no more. :D

How I honestly feel about a part of his performance in this is not going to make people happy. But I am not a fan who will blindly love everything he does, just because it's him who's doing it. I thought that that the scene in the beginning where he comes to the girl's defence was overacted. It just didn't have a feeling of truth in it. It felt overdone. :eek: But they were early days, and he has really been maturing beautifully into his craft since, particularly with having an ongoing role like Danny Messer.

Some may not like or agree with my opinion and that's cool. :cool: Dissension makes for good discussion :) And I'm loving this thread!!

8. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

OOO, Taxi driver and DeNiro's peformance in it. One of my favorite psychos- and movies. I was hooked from the beginning on that one. Carmine would be outstanding in a role similar to that.

As much as I don't care for some of the content of Carmine's other movies, I will say that he goes above and beyond in his performances. Such as Gundy in BHSK, he made me truly feel like he was a stoner. :lol:

A romantic comedy? Hmmm, can't say that I wouldn't welcome it, but I can't see it- yet. I have to mull that one around for awhile. :lol:

9. crankyjules

I was into it straight away too. I felt like I was being sucked into his psychosis, the deeper it got, so to speak. I felt like I shouldn't have been in his head, like I was a voyeur.

Yep he is truly intense, committed and gives everything of himself. That's [censored] brave to give all like that. To lay yourself open. And that's why we love him :)

10. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

Aww. You don't think just one would be cute? :D Just one, that's all I want and I'll never talk about it again. :lol:

You know, for some reason, Carmine saying that he'd love to play that sounds really familiar to me. Am I wrong? He did say that once and I'm not really as drunk as I feel? :lol:

11. crankyjules

Did he? Where did he say that? I've missed something :D I'll bet nearly every actor wants to play a role like that! It's a classic role in a classic movie. :)

12. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Romantic comedy! I knew I forgot a category! :lol:

I am also a die-hard romance, happily-ever-after fan. However, for some strange reason, I don't see Carmine being the main star of a romantic comedy movie. I dunno how to explain it ... his face doesn't quite fit the role. Now, Eddie Cahill would fit in a role like that, what with his sweet face and all, but Carmine, hmmm. I think he's got the look for a darker, sexually-charged movie instead. ;) Think, ya know ... Basic Instinct. :devil: :lol: Yeah, babe.

Hahah, I'm surprised the homocidal psycho role has a lot of votes! You all just wanna see him naked and covered in sweat and blood and running around with an axe, I know it. :p Can you guys imagine Carmine playing Norman Bates in the remake of Psycho instead of Christian Bale? Whoo - I mean, whoa.

And, uh, maybe I'm the crazy one, but I kinda remember Carmine saying in an interview somewhere that he would love to play a really nasty, bad guy role for a change. Hence the reason I wrote bout the homicidal psycho role. Maybe it was in one of the recent TalkCSI interviews?

13. crankyjules

(scratching head) See now I'm the one thinking she's crazy. (At least I'm in good company :lol: ) I haven't heard of that one either. :confused: Looks like I've got some interviews to catch up with somewhere.

14. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

I thought it sounded familiar as well. I might even go as far as saying it was either a video or an audio file but I'll have to check my archives for that... ;)

15. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

Wait, I KNOW he said somewhere that he wanted to play Travis Bickle because I went out and rented the movie to see what it was like a big dork. :lol: I just don't remember where it was said. I really think that it might have been the CSIFiles chat, actually.