Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Thread

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by MrsGiovinazzo, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Re: Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Threa

I wholeheartedly agree. I ran out an bought this movie when I first realized that my obsession wasn't going away and was not disappointed. Gundy was an absolute scene-stealer, and the fact that Carmine pulled of being a stoner so effectively sealed the deal. This is absolutely one of my favorite movies and his performance in it was stellar.

A close second would have to be The Big Brass Ring. The movie itself left a lot to be desired, but again we see a very nuanced performance from Carmine. Our discussions over in LR about the opening scenes aside, he looked as if he really were enjoying some action from both the woman and the man. The remainder of his performance as a man on a steep downward spiral of becoming irretrievably damaged was pitch-perfect. And the man does know how to cry.

I have a couple of his movies still left to watch, so I better hop to it!

2. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

^^ Exactly. The writers can only do so much & then it's Carmine's turn to carry on the character into something real, life-like & enjoyable. The writers could give him the shittest lines in the universe but yet Carmine would be able to transform those lines into something pleasent & something that doesn't sound like crap. Good or bad lines do nothing & they can only stand on their own until somebody like Carmine delivers them in the most perfect way possible. I'd like to see Tom Cruise take the role of Danny :lol: 'cause nobody can do Danny like Carmine can. You take Carmine away from Danny & the show instantly drops in its worth watching factor.

3. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

I've seen BHD and FLOTG, but Carmine doesnt really have a HUGE role in those, although I liked both movies... haha. Soo, NY is really the only thing I've seen him in, but I'm definitely gonna look into the other films... based on the reviews I've read here, and based on the fact that Carmine is in them. He's clearly a great actor, a great character actor and even when he doesnt have a huge part, he has presence (...if that makes sense you anyone...)
    AND, basically, I agree with everything jorja said in her first post...haha

4. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

Same here :) Seems the only people that don't sport multi-region or all-region players are in the US. Mostly due to lack of availability, because of a certain bit of arrogance in the manufacturers in that why should ANYONE want to view anything that was not produced in the US? :rolleyes:

Sorry, OT. Back OT:

Yep, my point exactly. It kicks arse. Actually, I think I may have to watch it again today, now we've extolled it's virtues yet again :D

5. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

I also think that the interrogation scene in Bad Beat deserves a little attention. I've never been more delighted and scared at the same time. :lol: Delighted that we were getting to see something we all knew lay within Danny and something that was just waiting for the moment to be expressed. Scared, because Carmine was SO convincing. I normally don't feel nervous when someone's yelling at someone else on tv. But that night, I remember pulling the blanket close to my face and clutching it because I was. No other interrogation that Danny's done has ever rocked and stuck with me the way that one did.

6. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

Lookaboomerang, I thought the same thing. I couldn't help but feel that Carmine internalized the hard-ass cop a little too much. However, the character he was interrogating was a dirtbag, so power to Carmine/Danny.

7. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

Yeah, same here. It was intense for sure, but that made the scene, I think. It was well played. I find that with Danny...he's very intense and passionate about finding a killer and restoring the justice or whatnot, and then he's got a light comedic (without trying...) side... there's a nice balance with that character, and it's played well by Carmine. It's very hard to imagine anyone else playing Danny.
    I also like how New York Danny is... like the accent and the mannerisms and the sayings and such... it helps that Carmine is from NY, and that he plays it up more for Danny. It just all works. It's all good. :) Sorry for the rambling...but I guess that is what this thread was for, eh?

8. ShuriyuCSI

ShuriyuCSI Judge

It's probably about time that I join in on a conversation, huh? I haven't really gotten into a discussion in a while.

To me, Carmine ranks up high with the other actors on screen. He's really good at portraying emotion and making things believeable. He easily meets the roll expectations and can even exceed them. I really thought he gave a great preformance in the episode 'Run Silent, Run Deep'. How he wound up crying at the end like that still baffles me and the whole last couple scenes had me in tears. He can deliver a powerful preformance and knows exactly how to do it.

I remember seeing clips of "Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss" and I thought that was pretty hillarious. He really likes showing that New York ass of his. :lol: Not like I would complain but.. Sheesh. And Gundy with the accoustic? Priceless. Never ceases to make me laugh. And then the movie "In Enemy Hands", being a sailor/torpedo expert. I had to look twice to actually realize that that was him. All grunged up and out of the CSI element, I didn't notice at first.

9. crankyjules

I watched Fallen Arches again last night, seeing as I was tempted to after all this talk :lol: I think it may have been the first time I didn't cry at the ending.

And yes, MrsG, that scene in the bar between Karen Black and Carmine (mother and son) is so lovely. Proud mum, embarrassing mum :lol: She is still beautiful, despite her age, Karen Black.

And today I fear I might have to watch Bad Beat, in the interests of research of course, what a chore it will be :rolleyes: :D ... it's been a long time and I've forgotten the interrogation scene.

10. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

That was amazing. That line about sending the killer to a place where they have sex for no profit with delivered so forcefully, it's almost as if sitting through that interrogation was the first phase of the killer's punishment. :lol: Danny verbally kicked that dude's ass. It was really powerful to watch.

No one with even half a heart could watch that without tearing up. For me, that was such an amazing performance that after watching it, my heart went out to Carmine. Generally when I watch a TV show, I just sit back and enjoy and never bother to separate the fictional character from the real person playing that character. After the scene outside the hospital with Mac though, I actually rewound it and watched again thinking, "Holy sh*t, that's real emotion." I felt bad for Carmine for having to take himself to that place and maintane that emotional state for the duration of the shoot. My hat's off to him.
    I love that scene! The joy of a mother who knows no boundaries. :lol: That was just so wrong, yet had a touching intimacy to it. She was a little out of bounds, but proud and it was sweet. And I agree, Karen Black is beautiful. She has a sensuality to her even for an older woman.

11. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

Ditto. We all obviously knew that we were going to see some kind of emotion from him from the previews, but I couldn't even begin to imagine that it was going to be the way it was. There was a point where the camera was solely on Danny and there were tears welled up in his eyes. But then, that awful thing where you're so emotionally charged happened. You basically lose control of your facial muscles and you have the dreaded 'ugly cry'. You can't act that! You have to be genuinely upset for it. And then the look over Mac's shoulder, you could kind of see it in his face that he'd made the transformation from grief over his brother's state, to being pissed off about it was especially telling.

12. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

Yeah, Carmine had some pretty genuine tears going on there. Most celebs look like they're laughing when they're crying but Carmine did a great job of showcasing Danny's sorrow & anguish. Hell, you could have the tv on mute & you can still know that Danny was crying over his brother. It takes a lot of talent for an actor to make one feel for him & the sadness he's suffering at that moment. It it wasn't for that phenomonal(sp) acting of his I would've been like, "Meh, whatever." Extremely convicing moment right there.

13. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

One of the best things about Carmine's performances that I truly enjoy are his range of emotions. Such as his outstanding performance in RSRD, in which you could truly see and felt the pain and sorrow that Danny had regarding his brother, Louie. Seeing that from Carmine and his performance with Ray Romano, (Is that his name?) I would hope that the writers would bring Louie back so we can see that again with Carmine.

Fallen Arches is one of my favorite movies that I have of Carmine's films. His performance was outstanding and very impressive. Again, his depth or range is phenomenal.

14. crankyjules

Larry Romano :) Easy to confuse him with Ray Romano ('Everybody Loves Raymond')

I'm always blown away by his range. From the grief and desperateness in RSRD, to the anger in Fallen Arches, and the fear in Raising Shane ... don't know how he did that ... seriously. That was an incredible piece of acting.

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

For me, his best overall performances were in "On the Job" and "Run Silent, Run Deep." It's not easy to basically convince a show's audience that a character is going through hell in what amounts to half an episode's screentime, but Carmine did that both times, and did it very, very well.

But I think a lot of what makes his portrayal of Danny so great is the little moments that comprise the character--the way he turned up his nose at the smell of fish or the way he quietly offered his condolences to the father in "Super Men." Those small moments make Danny real, and it's rare to see a character that nuanced on television, especially when he/she isn't the lead.