Cancellation of a CSI series

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by ComicCollect_NL, Dec 11, 2010.

?

I would cancel....

Poll closed Jan 10, 2011.
  1. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. CSI: Miami

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  3. CSI: New York

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  4. Neither of them

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. DragonFriend95

DragonFriend95 Lab Technician

Well, I suppose some people like myself enjoy ludicrous, over the top shows like Miami. Horatio's become something of an internet meme over the past few years, and as such there are people who enjoy how crazy and vigilante Horatio can ve.

2. DragonFriend95

My computer screwed up. I apologise, ignore these.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  3. DragonFriend95

Faulty computer acting up.

4. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

I feel that TPTB will decide to cancel or not without us (supposed to be fans) egging them on. Is this thread what we think will happen, or what we want to happen? I feel that those who don't like a show should just turn off, not suggest cancellation.

5. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

You can be a fan of the show and still not like the direction it's taking.

6. lal

lal Pathologist

Hi i wouldn't like to see any of them cancel .

7. ComicCollect_NL

ComicCollect_NL Witness

Basically it's a rip-off a poll on the CBS website. Once you've checked the link, you'll noticed that's posted on the CSI: NY Forum. So, I guess it's possibly caused by those, who love that series caused a majority of cancelling CSI:Miami.

The poll's here set over in a more general forum over here, tells me I'm wrong. Many people still hate CSI: Miami. Well, so be it. Though the discussion on Facebook shows an opposite result, the number of respondents is insufficient to balance both polls.

To me it's not a necessity to cancel any series at all. So, I perfectionised it by adding that possibility. I personally love seeing action movies. So I'll never opt for a cancellation of an action packed CSI: Miami.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  8. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

CSI/MIAMI beat out CSI Vegas and NY isn't even among the mix in the "top rated shows" It pulled in over 10 million fans:confused:

9. Meadowhawk

Meadowhawk Victim

I think we're giving ourselves an exaggerated amount of credit if we think that fifty-three people answering a poll on a fandom discussion board is going to influence any decision at all.

If they have shows available to them that will better anchor the week, I think they might cancel a CSI. If they find enough of those shows, they might cancel all three.

For me, the question is how the new dramas are faring. If Defenders or Blue Bloods (or Suspect Behavior) seems in a better position than New York or Miami, then one of them is probably on the chopping block. I don't see CBS cancelling a show with a proven ability to garner good ratings unless they have a better idea. I don't see them taking a gamble on an unproven show.

Which one would they chop? Probably not Vegas, which still delivers solid ratings. Miami and NY are both stuck in difficult slots. Could another show do better on Friday night or Sunday night? Could one move to a better slot and do better? At the expense of which show? I wonder which one is more expensive. Would they chop both the same year, even if they had solid dramas to replace with? If Marg doesn't return after this year, will Vegas reach a natural end and free up another spot?

I think there are enough factors that an online discussion won't factor in at all and the people making the decisions probably don't lurk around fandom boards.

10. ComicCollect_NL

ComicCollect_NL Witness

Don't forget the oversea viewing rates.

11. robotnik22

robotnik22 Rookie

More Aussies would watch NY if it were kept in a stable timeslot

12. Meadowhawk

Meadowhawk Victim

You know, I don't have the slightest idea how that factors in at all.

13. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

It is unfortunate that we are now facing the possibility of at least one CSI show being gone at the end of the Fall 2010/Spring 2011 broadcasting season. Yet we must also realize too that for all that's happened, that THREE shows, a flagship show, and TWO spin-offs have managed to survive longer than at least 60 percent of most TV-shows ever do. :)

At this point, I would rank New York and Miami as roughly equally likely (Though no longer very likely, just the same percent change) to be gone after this season, albeit for different reasons.

New York is perhaps in the second worst night for broadcasting, behind only Saturdays, although while I talked about that MK leaving left it bleeding in the water, I'd now say that the bleeding has stopped and now it's more like just an old man put in a time slot with an approximately 80 percent mortality rate for shows there. It's a sad truth but they don't move shows to Friday to boost ratings. Networks often move shows there to get rid of them. Like it or not, a large percentage of times, cast changes are incredibly difficult for many viewers to stomach, especially when fans become devoted to characters or duos. It can cut both ways, regardless of genre or network.

Miami's chances are most likely due to football overruns since it premiered, not only that but also that it's time slot is often where people have to go to bed, in order to be up on Monday mornings for work or school. I mean, wow, the viewership tanked to 9.89 million a few weeks ago. Ouch! That's not good. :(

Both New York and Miami's problems with survival are the combinations of age, questionable time slots at best, and expenses of production.

I DO hope that the crews involved in the CSI's are in good position for work elsewhere, just in case such as on new shows, or in movies in the near future. :) Some of you who called some of us out for wishing a show to be cancelled, I give a hats off to you all for making me realize that I might have gone overboard and that we should be careful next time. :)

I do not see the flagship Vegas CSI show being gone this year and that it may survive for maybe one more season but Marg Helgenberger leaving will likely affect it's chances of seeing a 13th season. That CSI: Crime Scene Investigation has lived for 11 years is a truly remarkable achievement and true success. Yes, it's had it's flows and ebbs but Vegas truly has lived a long and glorious life. :D I however see CSI moving to Fridays after Marg leaves after this season. Like I said earlier, losing long-time cast members, even when knowing they want to do something different, is very hard to stomach for many fans, even those who understand why. That's why I don't see Vegas living much longer beyond this season.

Still, all three shows truly lived long remarkable lives and they've defined the 2000s for me and millions of others. :D

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Are you trying to say that Melina's exit is why they put NY on Friday nights? Because if you are you're wrong. The announcement that NY was switching to Fridays came BEFORE the announcement that Melina had opted not to renew her contract. So if Friday night is the death slot NY would be doomed even if Melina was still a part of the cast.

15. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

I'm fully aware that hearing of CSI moving to Friday's came before MK left. :) When I heard about it, keep in mind, LONG, LONG before what happened over the summer happened, I got the bad feeling that they were planning on getting rid of the show by phasing it out on a graveyard slot. Maybe this is why MK opted out. Who knows?:confused: