• CSI: Miami

Votes: 33 56.9%
  • CSI: New York

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Neither of them

Votes: 8 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As much as I hate to say it, all shows have their end dates. I hope when the time comes, that CSI concludes on a high note, even if not on a pinnacle. 11 seasons or more is a magnificent accomplishment that very, very few TV shows ever enjoy and CSI:Vegas has achieved that very goal. 12 or 13th being the final ones that remains to be seen but CSI has enjoyed being on the air for more than a decade and I'm so proud of the crew, cast , producers, and writers for sustaining the flagship show for so long. :D

I want all of them to survive becouse they all have fans but I for sure can live without Miami.Vegas is not the same but it's still a very good show.I do not watch NY regularly but is better then last season and Sela Ward is really good, IMO.In respect to Miami,I still enjoy Eric and Calleigh but is getting so ridiculous that I can not even watch a whole episode.

Don't forget the oversea viewing rates.

You know, I don't have the slightest idea how that factors in at all.

That's up to CBS. If the show doesn't run in the US, and it does run internationally. Why not keep producing it, and "export" it for those countries?
I'm pretty sure all of the CSI's are way too expensive to produce for that to happen. The networks import shows from other countries because they are generally cheaper, ie Flashpoint from Canada. CBS makes money overseas on the franchise, but that's not enough to offset production costs. Syndication is better since there are no production costs at stake in reruns.

The decision to cancel any of the CSI's will be made solely for economic reasons, not because of any polls. Mendelsohn and Co. have said they are in it til CBS doesn't need or want them anymore. I think CBS still needs all 3. They have slipped in ratings, but they are still doing better than any of their new shows. The good news is that all shows will be around for a long time in syndication, unlike some shows that I have loved that are just... gone.

I'm pretty sure all of the CSI's are way too expensive to produce for that to happen. The networks import shows from other countries because they are generally cheaper, ie Flashpoint from Canada. CBS makes money overseas on the franchise, but that's not enough to offset production costs. Syndication is better since there are no production costs at stake in reruns.
Exactly. Production in the U.S. means they can take advantage of a 300 million population base. The foreign TV market just would not support the cost of producing new shows only for them. IIRC, the cost per episode of the original CSI in 2001 was $900,000 per episode, and I'm sure it's gone up from there. CBS only put up $200,000 per episode to start--Alliance Atlantis had foot the bill for the rest.

Not to mention that you have to translate it into German and French. I'm sure some of the colloquialisms in English get lost. You can only go so far with,

Frank: "Was auch immer sich abtragt, die Eheschiedung koztz mich an."
H: "Frank, est ist ein Mörder."
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

or the ubiquitous, "Eric, wir sind nach Brasilien gegangen." :guffaw:

I'm fully aware that hearing of CSI moving to Friday's came before MK left. :) When I heard about it, keep in mind, LONG, LONG before what happened over the summer happened, I got the bad feeling that they were planning on getting rid of the show by phasing it out on a graveyard slot. Maybe this is why MK opted out. Who knows?:confused:
Not sure if that's why MK left but you're 100% right on why CBS put CSI Miami and New York where they did.
They did the same thing to Cold Case. They put it in a time slot they knew would do poorly, then used the "ratings" excuse to ax it.
More to the point,logic sometimes doesn't come into the equation when it comes to canceling shows.

Haha I knew Miami would have the most votes. :lol: For me, it'd probably be New York. I've just never really liked it for some reason. :/

Of course, I don't want ANY of them cancelled, but it'll happen someday.

Don't know where you get those facts. However, you do have a point in view of the language. Some statements are better when hear in the original state... in this case English.

Haha I knew Miami would have the most votes. :lol: For me, it'd probably be New York. I've just never really liked it for some reason. :/

Of course, I don't want ANY of them cancelled, but it'll happen someday.
Many people hate the action. Too bad. I prefer no cancellations at all too.

I wouldn't be surprised if both CSI: Miami & NY ended their runs next year and they started a fourth series with unknown actors. They have to be paying David Caruso, Gary Sinise, and others who have been there for years out the wazoo by now.

I recently checked the renew/cancel index of CBS and to my shock, CSI:NY's index has fallen from 0.58 to 0.51. This is only 0.07 above "Medium" which was cancelled this season.

It is truly sad that we could very well see at least one or two CSI's be gone after this season. As for a fourth one with unknown actors, I'd be up for it. :) I hope they'll pick a lesser known city or even a small city as opposed to a large one. Too many NY-themed Shows. I would be totally up for a CSI: Chicago or even CSI: Milwaukee but I'd like the franchise to retire the current ones first.

This was posted today by Marc Berman on Mediaweek, and includes a recent quote from CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler:

Despite yet another successful season, including current dominance in total viewers and adults 18-49, the ongoing concern at CBS is the glut of procedural crime solvers, including the CSI franchise.

“As long as those shows continue to be competitive, as long as the fans still continue to watch the shows, they’re going to stay on the air,” said Tassler regarding the futures of CSI: Miami and CSI: NY. “Both shows are doing incredibly well in their new time periods, given what was there before.”

Parent series CSI, which was expected to flip time periods with The Mentalist this season, is remaining intact and likely to return in 2011-12. And NCIS is expecting to keep star Mark Harmon intact despite his contact expiring this spring.
Although somewhat vague in terms of Miami and NY, it sounds as if CBS is okay with their performances, so it may offer more hope that they will be around next year. The key point here, I think, is that they are giving some stability to nights that historically have been fairly weak.

I wouldn't be surprised if both CSI: Miami & NY ended their runs next year and they started a fourth series with unknown actors. They have to be paying David Caruso, Gary Sinise, and others who have been there for years out the wazoo by now.
According to TV Guide from Aug 2010:

(TV dramas, per episode)

Caruso & Helgenberger: $375K (tied with Mark Harmon for 3rd)
Fishburne: $350K, #6
Sinise: $275K, #9

no other CSI franchise actors are in the top 40, which cut off at around $50K per episode. Hugh Laurie was #1, Chris Meloni and Mariska Hargitay make $395K each.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Top-TV-Earners-1021717.aspx

I trust words from a tv executive about as much as I do from a politician...not very much.

Last edited:
You know, I wonder if this would work: Do not shut down the CSI franchise by any means but when one of the current three ends, either via cancellation or comes to a natural end, a new CSI at another city can be born. I.E., we could have CSI: San Diego, or CSI:Detroit, when the Vegas, Miami, or New York ones live out their lives on TV.

I've become much, much more aware of how ingrained the CSI saga is with the network and believing how detrimental it would be to the network ot just cancel one abruptly or more, I think instead, they should plan a fourth one, to take over when one of the current shows comes to and end.

Many might disagree with me on this and I'm totally okay with it. :) It just crossed my mind that perhaps the franchise should rotate cities for shows, so lesser known places (I.E. Omaha, Oklahoma City, Milwaukee, Seattle) can get their place in the spotlight. :) I think New York should get a break for a while. Too many TV Shows there at the moment IMO.

Back