Cancellation of a CSI series

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by ComicCollect_NL, Dec 11, 2010.

?

I would cancel....

Poll closed Jan 10, 2011.
  1. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. CSI: Miami

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  3. CSI: New York

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  4. Neither of them

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Even if he annoys me sometimes, I can't imagine Miami without him. Or if David Caruso chooses to leave, maybe they can invite Jim Carrey to play as the lead! :lol:

Improvement? Maybe kill Delko permanently so that at least (not absolutely) all the jump-the-shark moments can die with him.

2. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Miami. This season has been a yawn fest and the inconsistencies and lazy writing is beyond ridiculous. Storylines get dropped, Horatio suddenly can't keep away from police brutality and threatening suspects, the science has basically been replaced by chasing scenes, and most cases I don't even remember.

Vegas has been doing very good but I don't know if I'll be able to say the same once Marg leaves...

NY I love this season. I want more Sela so I definitely want NY to stick around. I think it has been doing very good given the move to fridays and Melina leaving.

3. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

I would say Miami should be cancelled. Even the sheer grief over Melina leaving NY, and the ranting I've made, I'd say it pales in comparison to the absolute stupidity that has wrecked Miami, almost beyond redemption. It makes me so glad I rejected it years ago.

4. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

SHRIEKS:scream: None of them they all have their own unique quality and great cast members, and fabulous stories. I am thrilled and honored to have super screen star Mr. Laurence Fishburne as Dr. Raymond Langston on CSI/VEGAS. He's magificent and has brought such class, style and elegance to the show. He's bonded with the whole cast and his acting is beyond reproach. The other two leads also have their own brand of charm, so I say none of them should be canceled~

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  5. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Personally, I kind of find it in bad taste to wish a cancellation upon a show. Not only would the actors be out of a job, but there's hundreds of hard workers behind the scenes that would become unemployed and have to look for new work (which in the current economy is really, really hard). That said, I do hope that if Miami does live to see another season, TPTB and CBS decide on their terms when to end it (and hopefully soon). Not only is the show redundant (fires! guns drawn! Eric and Horatio personal!vengeance) it just doesn't have the spark like it once had.

Thankfully, NY is correcting its seasons 5 and 6 ways and starting fresh with the addition of Sela Ward. I see a lot of life left in NY.

6. ComicCollect_NL

ComicCollect_NL Witness

It appears it's Horatio versus the rest. It's indeed not focused on the team. In CSI: Miami the members are relying on H too much. More independence of the team members should be an improvement.

7. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Wouldn't some people be out of a job either way if the show ended naturally as opposed to being cancelled? Those people (I hope) know CSI/Miami/NY aren't going to last forever and the entertainment business is never a sure thing anyway--shows get picked up, dumped and cancelled all the time. I would think the actors and those working behind the scenes were aware of their chances when they 'signed up' and would eventually look for work like the rest of us in this economy. I would hazard a guess and say the network itself probably cares more about the figures and cheques than it does about the peons behind the scenes and their jobs, which is unfortunate but it's business.

If I had to choose a show that should be cancelled or just plain wrapped up, it's Miami. The show's getting tired and I feel that it's gone backwards from the imrpovements it made last year. However, the season isn't over and it might have a few legs left in it.

8. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

ChristmasLights, you do have a point there with the effects of a show being cancelled.

This is why many fans have said, the way they take characters, down a road that they don't like or despise, it would backfire big time, piss off huge legions of fans, and bring the whole show down and leave a mess that's hard to clean up. This is one factor that NY's TV audience has barely cracked 10 and a half million at it's height, the other being Friday's obviously. Had Stella stayed, I bet we would've had viewerships that would've still been above 11.5 million and none falling below 10 million anywhere throughout. *Sigh*

And to Grinch, yes, I'm with you on Miami. NY seemed to collapse to where I walked away from it altogether in bitterness over MK leaving, but Miami has become downright ludicrous. Just that Horatio guy kept me away from the TV on Monday Nights, he keeps me from watching CBS on Sunday nights. It makes me so, SO glad I rejected Miami years ago. Much like NY, I would not be surprised if it's gone after this season.

A huge waste of character space Horatio has become. There are few characters I despite but Horatio I would rank as among my least favorite/most hated protagonist characters I've ever seen on TV.

As for which of the two could go, I'll discard any personal views and say, it's about a 50-80 percent chance, that either one is gone after this season but where things currently stand, based on the current trajectory, Miami looks more likely to die considering it's viewership has fallen below 10 million. This could change obviously. Perhaps all three will have their 12th, 10, & 8th seasons.

That's my 50 cents.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

11.5 million viewers on a Friday night all because Melina would still be on the show? That's highly unlikely considering there were plenty of episodes in S6 that were below 11 million and Melina was there. That number that you've pulled out of nowhere makes absolutely no sense based on the numbers NY pulled last season.

10. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

I would be sad if any of the CSI shows were cancelled, but if I really had to choose, I'd pick LV, even though it was my favourite back then when I watched CSI. I don't know about ratings, but with Marg leaving, I'm not sure I see the point of keeping it running :(

11. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

I feel the same way. It also was how I would've reacted when Melina would leave NY and that nightmare came true on July 12, 2010, a day that now lives in Infamy for my TV-Heart. Never have I reeled so much over a change in cast members but MK leaving truly left a huge Olympus Mons-sized hole that is nowhere close to being filled in. :( That's why I stopped watching CSI:NY even though I have nothing against Sela Ward by any means even as I rejected Jo Danville, much like the body sometimes rejects an organ transplant. The grief was enough to literally make me stop watching the show altogether. Stella is a character I hadn't embraced so much since Carmen Sandiego, more than a decade earlier.

Two keystone ladies, that are IRREPLACEABLE. Just irreplaceable. I sometimes wonder how I managed to stomach William Petersen leaving but I liked how his character got a great send-off and brought Grissom/Sara to a happy closure. :) Perhaps that's why I accepted Raymond Langston although I've gradually since ceased watching new episodes of CSI altogether. I'm nevertheless glad that Stella got a promotion elsewhere. :) Let's hope Catherine gets a similar send-off when Marg closes out her time on the show. :)

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Just wanted to say that I agree with this last post. I don't think any of us wish unemployment on anyone, but it's the nature of the business, like politics, a 'changing of the guard' every 2-8 years, or so. I suspect these workers are thankful that they have had the stability in a job this long on one show. And, the truly talented and resourceful ones will survive.
    CM and Shankar and Zuiker all have new projects in production; I'm sure they would use some of the same behind-the-scenes workers that they have counted on over the years on CSI.
    I'm looking forward to these new projects. As much as I still enjoy CSI, I am ready to see something different from these talented people.

13. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I would have to cancel CSI Miami, it's nothing personal but it's the one that I just couldn't get into. I think I've only watched like six or so episodes.

14. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

As I've said elsewhere, LV is going on Season 11, Miami is on 9 IIRC. By comparison:

1. Seinfeld lasted 8 seasons, and 1 of those seasons was only 5 episodes, 1 was only 10.
    2. MASH lasted 10 seasons.
    3. Friends lasted 9 seasons.
    4. Cheers lasted 10 seasons.

All of these shows had something in common: they were able to remain relevant despite changes in the central cast and passages of time. They tweaked interactions, which made them seem at least a little new. CSILV has gone through the same changes. And while I'm getting a little tired of Nate Haskell, I think this show has done the best of the 3 to withstand change and put out a good show. C'mon, an exploding funeral casket??? :eek:

NY comes in second. There are a lot of Jo haters, but you could clearly tell Melina had had enough of the show and wanted to move on. Sela Ward brings new energy and a less overbearing attitude. The Danny-Lindsey pseudo affair is acceptable, mainly because it doesn't get overplayed unless Edward Furlong needs a paycheck. And the lab rats are their annoying nerdy selves, as we've come to expect.

Which show of these 3 has not changed...all I can say is there's some redhead cop in Miami who never wears sunblock and manages to stay pasty white 24/7. CSIM has gone out of its way to resist change (reference Eddie Cibrian), not stay in a defined story arc (the writers have admitted this much), and kill off characters with just some of the kookiest logic ever. I realize this is Bizarro-Miami, where poor people never commit murder, police lieutenants commit murder, cops drive Hummers and the CSIs agree to wear rubber gloves, as long as they can still sport the Dolce & Gabbana pantsuit. I get that it's make-believe, that you're supposed to get lost in the glitz and grunge of Miami. But it's been going on for 9 years now, and little ever changes. This season is no different--and the main parts just seem to be more wooden than ever. Props for putting on one non-murder show since the Iron Age, but that's not enough. Miami ought to go.

15. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

Looks like Miami and NY could both realistically end this year.