Cancellation of a CSI series

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by ComicCollect_NL, Dec 11, 2010.

?

I would cancel....

Poll closed Jan 10, 2011.
  1. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  2. CSI: Miami

33 vote(s)
    56.9%
  3. CSI: New York

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  4. Neither of them

8 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

I know. :( It's sad to think that with circumstances that have arisen, the original parent show could very well outlive both of it's spin-offs.

Even with lower ratings than in season 10, the Vegas CSI's ratings remain pretty healthy with a decent 14 million viewers. It's viewership remains much higher than either of it's spin-offs as of lately. It's almost like watching the parent's offspring shows being sent into Death Slots while the parent just fades away over time. Kind of sad to be honest.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Friends was actually 10 seasons (the spin-off kind of tanked though lol). ER lasted what 15 seasons (how in the world did that happen? that show slowly went downhill for me when everyone I liked kept leaving lol). I would love for the CSIs to last well past 15 seasons, but only if the writing remains solid and the characters I like most stay on the show LOL.

3. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

That's the thing about shows that run for a long time. Just because they're still on the air, doesn't mean they're still good. JAG and X-Files are two such shows. On the other hand, I felt Murder,She Wrote still had one or two more seasons left in it after CBS killed it after twelve.
    Of the three,CSI Miami is the one that has been on the air too long. All the episodes basically seem to blend into one another and use stereotypes of rich people, women etc. It has become a joke more than anything else.
    Even though my beloved Cold Case ended after seven seasons, at least I can say it went out on a good note. I won't be able to say that about Miami.
    IMO, come next year, both New York and Miami will be gone. Studios don't put shows in bad time slots with hopes the ratings will improve. They do it to ax them.

4. Raven04

Raven04 Police Officer

I don't wish cancellation on any show. But, I always thought that the original would outlast the spinoffs. Even though their ratings are down, Vegas is still getting a healthy 14+ million viewers on a night that is very competitive. Plus, this season has been really good.

5. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Never thought I'd see myself saying this, but Miami should go.

Much as I've been a Miami junkie for years, it's at the point of no return for the last few seasons, imho. The early years were great, but it seems like since S5 after Rio, it's become a farce of itself. Calleigh wearing a black catsuit and high heels while processing evidence on a beach. Jesse and Natalia wearing white at a burn scene. Alexx's scrubs cut lower to show off some cleavage. A supposedly unemployed Dan Cooper has a fancy beach house. Everyone treats Jesse's death more like a minor inconvenience than a fallen brother. Walter going from lab tech to a CSI with a firearm. Whatever happened to Tyler, Yelina, Ray Jr, Susie and Madison? They, along with Rick, humanized Horatio.

I haven't watched since they got rid of Rick Stetler the way they did. I'm hearing that Horatio's getting more and more brutal, using more profanity, and hiding evidence. IAB should be all over them for that. Love Rick Stetler or hate him, he brought balance to the show. Now that he's gone, that balance is gone.

Call me cynical, but Miami seems to have outlived its usefulness. Maybe CBS has figured that out, since the show is now walking the green mile.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  6. ComicCollect_NL

ComicCollect_NL Witness

Would it be a bad thing to get rid of Horatio Caine, because of his dirty actions (Rio, hiding evidence, etc.)?

7. Meadowhawk

Meadowhawk Victim

Can I muzzle him and stomp on the sunglasses then?

j/k

kinda

I would like the show better if there were fewer automatic weapons, shoot-outs, bombs, and generally things that go boom. For me, it's the over-the-top storylines coming one right after another. Give me a nail in Ryan's eye over a nuclear threat any day.

8. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Personally, I don't want any of the shows to be canceled, because they all have fans, and I know it would be devastating to them. Of course, all shows must come to an end eventually, but I'm hoping all the CSI's have a little life left in them.

If I had to pick one that I wouldn't mind being canceled, it would be NY. It bores me, and I find Lindsay irritating. However, I avoid being bored and irritated by simply NOT WATCHING it. I don't wish for it to be canceled. I just wouldn't particularly care if it was.

I don't really watch LV, but I think it's a good show that has adapted well to changes over the years.

Miami, well...Miami is my favorite show, but even I have to admit, it is beyond terrible. Horatio Caine to me is annoying at best, and terrible at worst. I'm sick of the constant vigilanteism (I get that once in a while, something might make you almost cross the line, but if this was anything CLOSE to real life, he would've been fired ages ago). He used to be a dynamic, sympathetic character with a couple cheesy, albeit amusing quirks (the sunglasses and one liners). Now he's one-dimensional and patronizing. You can practically see the thought bubble over his head reading "I am Horatio Caine, patron saint of Miami's female victims." Every female victim has to be "rescued" by him personally. He can't tell them they're strong or that he believes in them, nor can he merely help a woman help herself. It's disgusting. Being a victim of a crime doesn't make a woman a damsel in distress in need of a male with gun to save her. But nobody told Horatio that.

The stories are also laughable and unrealistic. They drive me up the wall. But in spite of the frustrating Horatio Caine, and the bizarre/impossible stories, I can't stop watching. It's a train wreck that I can't look away from.

Also, the Eric/Calleigh relationship keeps me coming back. They're just too cute. I'm sure if they broke up permanently, though, I'd be able to let go of the show.

So, essentially, despite all the flaws (and boy are there a ton of them) Miami has, I don't want them to cancel it just yet. I have a (probably naïve and stupid) hope that they can stop with the b.s. and return to a semi-decent show. That stupid hope of mine just never dies. :lol:

9. raindrops1969

raindrops1969 Civilian

Without hesitation: Miami! I tried watching the show many times, but found it distracting at best. CSI will always be my favorite, and New York comes in a very close second.

10. robotnik22

robotnik22 Rookie

You're not the only one that thinks that Miami should have kept Kim Delaney. Her character was one that truly balanced out the team.I reckon that the early years were better as well.

11. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

I've always supposed they didn't keep her because it was too much NYPD Blue with her and Caruso. And wasn't that a NBC show? :lol:

12. ComicCollect_NL

ComicCollect_NL Witness

When he got shot in a season finale.... I hoped to see him in coma or something.... for a while.

That hope went in vain as soon as the episode Ressurrection was aired.

13. Linda&Horatio

Linda&Horatio Witness

You know Jag Lady I couldn't have said it better myself. I love Horatio to pieces hence the username I have. But I also love the entire team and TPTB are just now getting to other characters such as Ryan and Natalia centered episodes. But me too I wish they would at least mention Susie and Madison in a conversation, even if the actors cannot reprise their roles. But to just have them gone like that, nothing, is not only stupid, but where are the ethics in writing. It's like they never existed!! Fans have all talked ad nauseum on this topic alone but it bears repeating.

As for Rick Stetler they could have written him out differently than they did. Here they portrayed him as some criminal who's been doing dirty things for a few years and we're only finding out now!?!?! :wtf: They NEED IAB and no one is better suited to argue, work with and provoke Horatio then this character. Rick and Horatio bring out the best/worst in each other and we all enjoy the scenes they are in.

I have been watching Seasons 1 to 3 over the holidays and miss the way things were. I have Season 4 on DVD and man what a mistake that was. I like some of the episodes but to have bought the season I hate the most, what was I thinking!!??? :eek: Subsequent seasons went downhill from there.

If they do make Horatio a new love interest, I was thinking of Camryn Manheim from Ghost Whisperer. But her character needs to be like Delia though, tough, strong willed and compassionate. Naw, she'd be overqualified. TPTB would bring in a dame with a dark past, or some flake like he's had. Oh well that's show biz! :rolleyes:

14. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

You know, I almost can't believe I'm having a near semi-ephiphany but almost contrary to previous rants, I'm now convinced that Miami is the most likely the first of the CSI's that will actually be gone.

I truly cannot understand how Horatio could keep this show alive for so long. None of the other shows have characters that irritated and just offended me the way he does, not even Lindsay on NY at her poutiest offends me like Horatio's self-rightous, smug, and unbelievably grating way of talking does for me.

Just ridiculous. Although many will disagree in a sense but while the grief over NY may still be there for me with tides and ebbs, it pales in comparison to the ludicrous nature of Miami as of lately that when it comes to a show ending, Miami now surpasses NY as the most likely to be gone after this season.

I will never understand how it is/was 'the Most Popular TV Show in the World'. It's a pity that Natalia Boa Vista and even Calleigh Duquesne are forced to share the same universe with H for so long.

15. robotnik22

robotnik22 Rookie

True that. But they were not on NYPD Blue at the same time though. IIRC NYPD Blue was on ABC not NBC, Bill:)