BASEBALL

Which TV network will you spend the most time watching this fall?

• The CW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NBC

• ABC

• CBS

• Fox

• Other (Cable network, don't watch traditional tv, ect.)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Go Cubbies! oh, well I can hope can't I? But, you never know. This could be a great year.

I expect pretty much the same teams will be at the top this year. It's a long season, so...

Gag Card Shows Jeter, Mantle, Bush
Feb 27, 9:36 AM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - As President Bush smiled and waved from the stands and Mickey Mantle looked on from the dugout, Derek Jeter swung his bat.

Talk about pressure. Luckily, the game never happened. It was just someone's idea of a visual gag - pulled off in a recent Topps baseball card through digital manipulation.

"Somewhere in between the final proofing and its printing, someone at our company - and we won't name names - thought it would be funny to put in Bush and Mantle," said Clay Luraschi, a spokesman for Topps in Tuesday's edition of the Daily News.

The president's image is superimposed on the picture, while whoever played the trick took some time blending Mantle into the background of Jeter's card, No. 40 in the set.

Luraschi said that the gag was discovered during proofing of the card, but that it was already in the set. "We couldn't do anything but laugh," he said.

It's not the first card to have silly errors or odd prints, said T.S. O'Connell, the editor of Sports Collector's Digest. "For collectors, there's a real giggle factor for something like this," he said.

The Jeter card could join other famed oddball cards, like the 1969 Topps of Aurelio Rodriguez. That card featured a photo of a bat boy instead of the infielder.

Another collector said the joke would raise the price of the card, which currently goes for $2 on eBay.

Jeter told the News said he didn't know anything about the card. A White House spokesman declined to comment.

Luraschi said he doesn't know whether the card would be corrected in the future.

Did you guys hear they resold the Honus Wagner card again? This time it went for 2.4 million. This is the card Gretzy used to own.

I am so happy baseball season is back. After an 0-2 start the Dodgers are on a three game winning streak. Heres to a great 07 season.

I hope the Cubs have a good season as well.

Sorry vampireD4 I faithfully cheer for the Toronto Blues Jays and then anyone but the Yankees. The Blue Jays home opener is on Monday and yes the boys of summer are back :). It was 30 years ago today that the Blue Jays played their first ever game. It was played while it was snowing and the Blue Jays beat the Chicago White Sox :) It's been fun ever since :)

:lol: The cleveland Indians can not even get their home opening season going, four delays on the first day against the Mariners so they set up for saturday, canceled, and then a double for Sunday with the second game starting 20 mins after the first one ends and its canceled, and now its set for Monday double header. All of this due to snow delays.

Course I have my opinions about that first attempted game night and the mariners but I think I will stop there. ;)
I do love how the Mariners one pitcher was asked how many times he played in snow and his answer .. Never. :lol:

Thus far, my Philadelphia Phillies have not exactly lit the world on fire with stellar performances. Today was, unfortunately for myself, no exception. In classic meltdown style we let the Mets get 7 runs in an inning. We even helped them accomplish that by walking with bases loaded. *sigh*

I'm not the biggest Yankee's fan but I heard Mr. A-Rod hit a 2 out, 2 strkie Grand Slam to save em from the Cardinals in the 7th. Woot! (Heh I'm more softball, I play...if only you could WATCH it I'd so be there.)

Go White Sox, and A-Rod is the fastest Yankee to ever hit 5 homeruns in a season, he has done so in the first 6 games.

I'm a big time Yankee fan. Although this past week was kind of weird, I was paying less attention to the opening week of baseball and paying more attention to the Masters.

The Phillies doubled their win total today, although the win had very little to do with Philadelphia's offense and a lot more to do with the Mets walking in runs. I will take it.

Dodgers are still in first place. (knock on wood)

What's up with the Cubs. They are actually starting to win. Good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back