Around the weird:news of the bizarre

Status
Not open for further replies.
14.1 POUND BABY CAUSES SENSATION :eek: that's hugh!!!

Cancun, Mexico.. He is called "Super Tonio" at a whopping birth weight of 14.1 pounds, and he's causig a sensation in this resort city!!Cancun ressidents have crowded into the nursery ward to see Antionio Vasconcelos, born Monday by Caesarean, OUCH!! He drinks already 14.5 ounces of milk every 3 hours, he measures 22 inches. Antonio's mother Teresa Alejandra Cruz, 23, and father Luis, 38, says she gave birth to a girl 7 years ago, that weighed 11 1/2 lbs :eek:

Associated Press

The Plop Plop Fizz Fizz edition of Weird News

Joey Chestnut Downs a Record 182 Wings
Feb 3, 7:29 AM (ET)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Professional competitive eater Joey Chestnut devoured a record 182 chicken wings to win his second consecutive Wing Bowl, a gut-busting annual event that draws thousands of revelers to the city's sports complex in the pre-dawn hours.

Chestnut, surrounded by buxom "Wingettes," had a crown adorned with tiny rubber chickens placed atop his head Friday as his winning total was announced. He also won a 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara for out-eating his competitors - including a pair of pros who also advanced to the finals.

"I love to eat," said Chestnut, 23, of San Jose, Calif. "Today I was swallowing wings, swallowing bones, whatever it took."

Begun in 1993 by sports talk station WIP-AM and broadcast live during the station's morning show, Wing Bowl has grown into a massive event drawing a large, beer-soaked crowd and barely-dressed strippers to the Wachovia Center.

This year's event pitted 15 locals against five professionals. The top local finisher was "Gentleman Jerry" Coughlan, who finished fourth with 167 wings. He also came away with a new car.

"It's all about Philly," said the event's commissioner, former Philadelphia 76ers president Pat Croce. "Where else at six o'clock in the morning will you get 20,000 drunk guys?"

-=-=-=-=-

Mexican Seeks World Chili Eating Record
Feb 4, 12:09 AM (ET)
By IOAN GRILLO

MEXICO CITY (AP) - For most people, even the smallest bite of a raw chili pepper means a flushed face and a rush for a gulp of water. But Manuel Quiroz can guzzle down dozens of Mexico's spiciest chilies, rub them on his skin and even squeeze their juice into his eyes without so much as blinking.

The 54-year-old Mexico City taxi driver said Saturday that he has made thousands of dollars with his talent and wants to become the world champion chili eater. But first he needs to find an organization that can crown him with that title.

"Chilies don't sting me. They don't affect me. It's just like eating fruit," Quiroz said at a market in the Mexican capital. Shoppers stared in amazement as he crunched on a habanero, the hottest chili pepper in a country that likes its food spicy.

Quiroz said he discovered his talent when he was 7 and grew up betting people that he could eat more chilies than they could. He never lost.

"I'm the best. No one can rival me," he said.

His biggest windfall came when he entered a competition organized by a local television station and took home the $2,000 purse.

Quiroz said he plans to try to get his abilities recognized by Guinness World Records. To his knowledge, no one in the world can swallow more chilies.

"Chilies are the pride of Mexico," Quiroz said. "The world chili-eating champion has got to be here."

Quiroz said he has never been examined by a doctor to find out if there is a medical explanation for his extraordinary endurance to the spice.

"Why would I go and see a doctor?" he said. "There is nothing wrong with me. Eating chilies makes me feel great."

CELL PHONES MAY GO ALONG TO THE NEXT LIFE and no busy signal!!

If there s an after life, a lot of Brits are hoping to make phone calls there. According to a new survey by British phone retailer Dial_A-Phone, 17 % of Brits wan to buried with their cell phones :rolleyes: In addition, 39 % are more tradtional and want to keep their wedding ring in their coffin..24% plan to buried with photographs of loved ones..7 % have picked out a favorite outfit,,and 3 % want to die with their teddy bear in their arms!! OK

The Buzz..Ken White LVRJ
kwhite@reviewjournal.com

desertwind said:
17% of Brits wan to buried with their cell phones :rolleyes:
They want to text message Marilyn Monroe or Jayne Mansfield while standing on line at the Pearly Gates. :D

DECATUR, Ill. - Scott Wiese, a die-hard Chicago Bears fan, will legally change his name to that of Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning after signing a pledge in front of a crowd at a Decatur bar last Friday night. He vowed to adopt Manning's name if the Bears lost Sunday's Super Bowl.

The final score was Colts 29, Bears 17.
-----
DUSONGYO, Thailand (AFP) - A Thai mother who was lost for 25 years after catching the wrong bus home has spoken of her ordeal after being reunited with her family thanks to simple song.

The last time Jaeyaena Beuraheng saw her seven children was in 1982 when she left south Thailand on one of her regular shopping trips across the border to nearby Malaysia.

She never returned, and police later told her family that she had apparently been killed in a traffic accident.

In fact, Jaeyaena had simply taken the wrong bus home -- an error that would have been easy to fix except that she only speaks the local dialect of Malay known as Yawi, according to officials at the homeless shelter where the 76-year-old has lived for two decades.

"I didn't tell anybody where I was going on that day, because I went there quite often," she told AFP, crying as she spoke.

She was heading home from her shopping trip when she mistakenly hopped on a bus to Bangkok, some 1,150 kilometers (700 miles) north of her home in Narathiwat province.

In Bangkok, unable to read Thai and speaking a language few Thais can understand, she again took a wrong bus, this time to Chiang Mai, another 700 kilometers (430 miles) further north.

There she ended up as a beggar for five years, until she was sent to a homeless shelter in the central Thai province of Phitsanulok in 1987.

"I thought I would die in Phitsanulok. I thought about running away many times, but then I worried I would not be able to make it home. I really missed my children," Jaeyaena said.

Officials at the shelter told AFP that she was known as "Auntie Mon," because her speech sounded similar to the language of ethnic Mon living along the border with Myanmar.

But still no one could understand her, until last week when three health students from Narathiwat arrived on an exchange program to research the problem of homelessness at the shelter.

She sang a song for the visitors, one that the staff at the shelter had often heard but did not understand.

"She sang her same old song, one that nobody could understand until those three students from Narathiwat told us that she was sing in Yawi, a Malay dialect," the official said.

"So we asked them to talk to her and find out if she had relatives," official said.

Jaeyaena told the students that she had a Malaysian husband and seven children, recounting her entire story of the bus and how she had become lost in northern Thailand.

Her shocked family sent her youngest son and her eldest daughter to meet her and bring her home on Tuesday, the official said.

"She remembered all of her children's names. But at first she couldn't recognise her youngest son, but she recognised her eldest daughter," said the official, who was at their reunion.

Her children took her back to their family home in Dusongyo village, in a remote corner of Narathiwat, where her children and grandchildren were still hugging and kissing her two days after her return.

Dynamo1 said:
desertwind said:
17% of Brits wan to buried with their cell phones :rolleyes:
They want to text message Marilyn Monroe or Jayne Mansfield while standing on line at the Pearly Gates. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: your so hiliarious.. maybe!!!

HONEST CABBY RETURNS BAG OF DIAMOND RINGS

A taxi driver returned a black bag carrying 31 diamond rings to a passenger who earlier had given him a ride and a 30-cent tip on a $11 dollar ride (big spender) Hours after Osman Chowdhury dropped off te passenger, he tracked her down through a flurry of phone calls and returned the bag, which she had left in the trunk {that's where I stash mine} The unidenified woman, who said she was a jeweler, offered a $100 reward. Chowdhury, a native of Bangladesh, didn't so muc ever consider keeping the gems (fool) I'm a hard worker" said the soft spoken cabbie, "I'm enjoying my life here, and amd not going to take somone else's money or property to make me rich. I don't want it that way" I feel very happy, and very proud.. oh, shut up :mad:

LVRJ

'CSI' Trio Allegedly Enter Wrong Place
Feb 9, 10:02 PM (ET)

ANDERSON, Ind. (AP) - Three women who police believe were trying to destroy evidence at a murder scene forced their way into an apartment, only to find they'd chosen the wrong one, authorities said.

Police arrested the women Wednesday after the apartment resident told officers the three tried to cut a stain from his rug - apparently believing it was blood - that really was either grape juice or Kool-Aid.

The women told the resident they were trying to collect DNA for the murder investigation "to try to legitimize their actions," said Anderson police Detective Joel Sandefur.

"That's what it would seem to be. But our thoughts are it was to destroy evidence," he said Friday.

Diedra J. Heard, 19; Lareisha W. Miles, 24; and Latoya R. Johnson, 21, all face a preliminary felony charge of residential entry.

According to police, Heard, Miles and Johnson went to the apartment and knocked on the door. When the resident answered, the women barged in and said they needed to search the apartment for evidence related to the shooting death Sunday night of Damian Hopkins. Police have charged Jerell Owens, 21, with murder in Hopkins' death. Two other men face charges of assisting a criminal.

The resident was able to call police, and the women were arrested near the apartment. A date for their initial court appearances has not been set.

All three posted $5,000 bond and were released from the Madison County Jail. They had unlisted telephone numbers and could not be reached for comment.

Sandefur said it wasn't immediately clear what relationship the women had to Hopkins or the suspects in his death.

-=-=-=-=-

Mom Allegedly Leaves Kids in Car to Tan

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (AP) - Sheboygan police arrested a woman after she allegedly left her two children in a freezing car for 20 minutes while she went tanning.

The 27-year-old woman was arrested after two people spotted the children, ages 23 months and 10 years, in the car, the police department said in a news release. The vehicle was locked but not running.

Officers responding to the scene Wednesday evening were approached by the children's parents. The father met the mother at the tanning salon and was arguing with her about why the children were in the car, police said.

The children were dressed warmly, but they had "goose bumps" from the cold, the release said. They did not require medical attention.

The temperature at the time was 12 degrees, with a wind chill index of about minus 2 degrees.

The woman could be charged Friday with two counts of misdemeanor child neglect, police said.

"She said she was going on vacation and felt that the tanning was a priority," Lt. Jeff Johnston said Friday.

-=-=-=-=-

Truck Spills 40 Tons of Cow Intestines

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (AP) - A truck driver distracted by his digital music player tipped his semitrailer on Thursday, spilling about 40 tons of cow intestines onto a major highway in eastern Wisconsin.

Parts of Interstate 43 were closed for about two hours while authorities cleaned up beef byproducts such as intestines and bones, said Sgt. Blaine Spicer of the Sheboygan County Sheriff's Department.

The accident happened in the Town of Mosel around 2:15 a.m. when 25-year-old Ryan Engle's truck veered off the road as he adjusted his MP3 player, Spicer said.

Engle, of Kenosha, was cited for inattentive driving, and taken to a hospital with non-life threatening injuries, Spicer said.

The semi had to be towed from the scene. It is owned by Birchwood Transport, of Kenosha.

-=-=-=-=-

H: Sell the Hummer. Here is the car I want.

Batman Wants to Sell the Batmobile
Feb 9, 10:41 PM (ET)

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - Batman has been cruising the streets of South Florida, but he's not looking for the Joker. He's trying to sell the Batmobile.

Terry Lobzun donned the cape and cowl to generate publicity for an auction of the 1966 TV series replica. He spent Thursday afternoon driving up and down A1A in Fort Lauderdale, The Miami Herald reported.

"The thing about the Batmobile is that it's a cultural icon," Lobzun said. "You just want to let people know about it."

This Batmobile will be offered up Saturday afternoon at the Florida Collector Car Auction at the Broward County Convention Center, where it's expected to sell for between $100,000 and $200,000. Other replicas in the past have sold in the $100,000 range.

The Batmobile being sold Saturday has gadgets like rocket tubes, parachutes and a Bat Ray Protector, but none of them work.

That's some bizzare stuff :( crazy all of them!!

WOMAN, 69. CONVICTED OF RESISTING ARREST, FINED

Kansas City, MO...A 69-yr. old woman who was lasered by police two years ago in a scuffle after honking her horn at a patrol car has been convicted of shoving an officer and resisting arrest. But a Circuit Court refused to send Louise Jones to jail, fining her $650 instead. Jone's attorney Basil North, said he might appeal. "We don't think she should been convicted of anything" he said. On June 15, 2004, police officers responded to a domestic disturbance call near the Jone's home. The officers were crusing the streets slowly, watching for trouble. Jones was in the car behind them when she started honking her horn and pulled into her driveway. Police, spooked by the horn parked and questioned Jones, leading to the scuffle after they threatned to write her a ticket!

The Associated Press

6,124 Couples Kiss, Break World Record
Feb 11, 3:47 AM (ET)

MANILA, Philippines (AP) - More than 6,000 couples kissed simultaneously at midnight Saturday in the Philippines with organizers of the event claiming to have set a new world record.

Organizers of the annual pre-Valentine's Day celebration said they broke the record held by Hungary, where 5,875 couples kissed simultaneously in Budapest in 2005.

"We broke the record, it's great," said Howard Belton, a Briton who spearheaded the event.

With fireworks, confetti, a giant TV screen, and red balloons as the backdrop, couples locked lips and hugged for 10 seconds following a countdown outside a Manila mall.

An unofficial tally showed 6,124 couples kissed simultaneously, organizers said, but the number needs to be verified by an independent auditor and approved by Guinness World Record officials before it becomes a world record.

"It was our first time to join the celebration and we participated to be able to beat the record of Hungary," said Katherine Hermosa, who was with her boyfriend.

-=-=-=-=-

Postmaster Shows Lot of Love in Fidelity
Feb 10, 6:53 PM (ET)
By JIM SUHR

FIDELITY, Ill. (AP) - Among thousands of Valentine's Day mailings that have gravitated to this place over the years for the postmark so fitting for the holiday, a widow's loving plea instantly grabbed Peggy Ruyle's heartstrings.

Tucked in with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to be given the Fidelity postmark, the old woman's note lamented losing her husband a year ago, six days after his 85th birthday and just months before the two would have marked 64 years as husband and wife.

"Among the flowers I will put on his grave" this month, the widow wrote, "I want to include this envelope stamped 'Fidelity.'"

Ruyle figures she's read the widow's note a dozen times, and it never gets easier.

"I choke up every time. I never got a letter this touching," says Ruyle, 61, who's been postmaster here for 13 years. "I can picture a little man and woman, sitting in a rocking chair or porch swing, just being happy. That's a good picture to have."

At this time of year, Ruyle absolutely loves her job and her small role in keeping romance alive, one postmark at a time.

Few ever see this Jersey County outpost, population 115. It is little more than a collection of weathered mobile homes 35 miles north of St. Louis, as the crow flies, and well off the beaten path.

But folks somehow have heard of Fidelity and its aluminum-sided, shack-like post office with white shutters, the only business in town.

Each year, Ruyle says, a couple hundred Valentine's Day mailings come her way from around the globe, from as far away as Thailand. Fifty-three arrivals one recent morning included return addresses from Texas, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Arkansas and Florida.

Many requests include notes simply asking Ruyle for the postmark. Some are collecting postmarks with a shared theme, including Loveland, Colo.; Valentine, Texas; Kissimmee, Fla.; Romeo, Mich.; and Juliet, Ga.

Others, like the mournful widow, give what Ruyle calls windows into the sender's soul, "just a little piece of their life."

One woman wanted the enclosed stamped, self-addressed card sent "to my wonderful boyfriend."

"He is the love of my life and I couldn't be happier with him," the woman cooed. "It's funny how you meet the ones you fall in love with. We met a year ago at my work. I was working and he was the cute volunteer."

Connie Cooper recently drove 12 miles from the tiny town of Kane to get the Fidelity postmark on 10 "save the date" notices for her daughter's nuptials in September. She expects to be back with some 300 wedding invitations.

"This is neat, unique. Not many people are blessed with the name Fidelity," Cooper says.

By some accounts, folks here can thank a horse for that.

While researching the town's origins, Audrey Bohannon - Fidelity's historian, if you will - found that a Tennessee group passed through the area in 1829. When Joseph Russell's horse turned lame and couldn't get him back to Tennessee for business, Samuel Simmons volunteered one of his horses.

"That's true fidelity," Russell supposedly exclaimed to Simmons, who stayed behind and built a log cabin. In 1850, Russell and his brother settled the town and eventually got it named Fidelity. The post office came four years later.

The town has seen better times, by some accounts once boasting an Army barracks, grain elevator, several doctors and dentists, a blacksmith shop and grocery stores - all long gone.

"Unfortunately, it's turning into a trailer town," Bohannon says. "People die, people move away and things change."

But not the post office or Ruyle. She puts her heart into obliging each request, delicately stamping each envelope by hand so the postmark won't smudge, then setting it aside to dry before moving on to the next.

"That's just a small thing, to make somebody happy for just a couple of minutes," said Ruyle, her own marriage more than four decades strong. "It's worth it."

-=-=-=-=-

Cat Survives Being Frozen in Trough
Feb 10, 10:07 PM (ET)

LOSANTVILLE, Ind. (AP) - A cat found half-frozen in a water trough is recovering, but may lose his tail.

Melissa Jones said she found the cat Tuesday when she stepped onto her porch for a cigarette. His tail and hind legs were stuck in about three inches of ice. She and her husband used buckets of hot water to free him.

"His little ears are droopy and purple and so are his little feet," Jones said, adding that his new nickname is "Droopy."

In the morning, she took the seven-month-old yellow and white tiger cat to a veterinarian, where he was given an antibiotic. The vet recommended a regimen of warm water and foot and tail massages to help its circulation, but still may lose its tail.

Jones says the family will probably keep the cat indoors from now on.

AHHHHH, on the kitty story.. wow they do have nine lives ;)

BUZZ LITES

A brewery in Hokkaido, Japan has created a beer mixed with milk. The so called "bilk" has a fruity taste that beermakers say will appeal to women and go well with sweets..GROSS :(

A man in West Vallery, Utah, is in jail for calling 911 dispatchers 12 times in 5 hours to complain about a toothache. Brooke Akins spent more than 30 minutes on each call, refused an ambulance and wanted to know where to get illegal drugs :eek:. Police arrested him for 911 abuse..FOOL

A man in Stockholm, Sweden, is getting workers' comp. after he chipped a tooth snacking on the job. Calle Montell was visiting a customer when he bit into a cookie and chipped his tooth on a cherry pit!

The Buzz..Ken White.. LVRJ

Cross-Dressing Lawyer Hangs Up His Dress
Feb 14, 5:00 PM (ET)

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) - A male lawyer who appeared in court dressed in women's clothes as a protest against what he said was New Zealand's overly-masculine judiciary was suspended Wednesday after being found to be in contempt of court.

The High Court found Rob Moodie, a 68-year-old, balding man who appeared in court in dresses and toting a handbag, was in contempt for circulating suppressed documents outside the court in one of his cases.

Moodie officially changed his name to "Miss Alice" as part of his protest against the "old boys network" that he said runs the nation's judiciary, and was granted an award for the most bizarre conduct by a lawyer in 2006 by London's The Times newspaper.

The protest began after a coroner's inquest largely blamed a farming couple for the collapse of a bridge on their property built by the army.

Moodie obtained documents apportioning much of the blame for the collapse to faulty wood used by New Zealand Defense Force engineers, and posted the report on the Internet despite a judge's order it not be distributed.

The High Court on Wednesday found Moodie guilty of contempt of court, suspended him for three months, fined him and ordered him to pay costs.

Moodie announced after the ruling he would quit the law altogether, and end his cross-dressing protest because he no longer needed to appear "in a 19th-century Alice in Wonderland environment that allows pomp, self-importance and deference to the court to eclipse the truth."

-=-=-=-=-

N.M. Orders 500 Talking Urinal Cakes
Feb 14, 5:22 PM (ET)

SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) - New Mexico is taking its fight against drunken driving to men's restrooms around the state. The state has ordered 500 talking urinal cakes that will deliver a recorded anti-DWI message to bar and restaurant patrons who make one last pit stop before getting behind the wheel.

"Hey there, big guy. Having a few drinks?" a female voice says a few seconds after an approaching male sets off a motion sensor in the device. "It's time to call a cab or ask a sober friend for a ride home."

Transportation Department spokesman S.U. Mahesh said the urinal cakes are a way to reach one group that's a target of state safety campaigns. Men commit about three times as many drunken-driving infractions as women.

The devices, manufactured by New York-based Healthquest Technologies Inc., were invented by Richard Deutsch. He said there's no other device like it on the market.

"The idea is based on the concept that there is no more captive audience than a guy standing at a urinal," Deutsch said. "You can't look right and you can't look left; you've got to look at the ad."

Public awareness campaigns in New York, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Australia have used the devices, as have commercial advertisers.

In New Mexico, the device uses the state DWI slogan "You drink, you drive, you lose."

Some Albuquerque bars installed the devices this week, and the state plans to distribute them to Santa Fe bars and restaurants as well as establishments in Farmington, Gallup and Las Cruces.

The state spent $21 for each talking urinal cake for the pilot program but will ask bars and restaurants to pay for future orders if the idea catch on, Mahesh said.

The cakes have enough battery power to last about three months.

-=-=-=-=-

Mother Cat Adopts Pup Rejected by Mother
Feb 14, 4:49 PM (ET)
By STEPHEN SINGER

MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) - Who says cats and dogs don't get along? Workers at the Meriden Humane Society are marveling at a short-haired mother cat who has willingly adopted a six-day-old Rottweiler puppy that was rejected by its mother.

The tiny pup, named Charlie by Humane Society volunteers, nurses alongside a jumble of black and gray kittens recently born to Satin, who was surrendered to the shelter by an owner unable to care for her.

Charlie's mother was found by the side of the road in Meriden a couple of months ago. She gave birth to two puppies, but one was stillborn. As sometimes happens with a stillborn in the litter, the mother dog refused to accept Charlie.

Volunteers bottle-fed him every two hours, but the effort was both exhausting to humans and insufficient for the puppy, who needs to feed when he wants, said volunteer Chris Chorney.

Research indicated that a suitable substitute could be Satin, who had given birth to four kittens that have quickly warmed to Charlie.

"The kittens scrum up with him and the kittens treat him like one of their own," Chorney said. "There's a certain social benefit of small animals being with each other."

The cat-and-dog relationship is not all that unusual in certain circumstances, said Deirdre Chiaramonte, a veterinarian at the Animal Medical Center, a specialty teaching hospital in New York.

"In those types of situations, it's common," she said.

The cozy arrangement between Charlie, Satin and the kittens will likely changes as the pup grows. Full-grown male Rottweilers commonly weigh 100 pounds.

Volunteers are hoping that dog owners will volunteer their puppies to be Charlie's playmates.

"Dogs need to be with a litter of puppies, to learn to play with other dogs," Chorney said. "He has to learn to be a well-socialized dog."

Tiny Duckling Has Rare Mutation: 4 Legs
Feb 18, 7:07 AM (ET)

LONDON (AP) - Webbed feet run in Stumpy's family, but a rare mutation has left the eight-day-old duckling with two nearly full-sized legs behind the two he runs on.

Nicky Janaway, a duck farmer in New Forest, Hampshire, 95 miles southwest of London, unveiled the duckling to reporters on Saturday.

"It was absolutely bizarre. I was thinking 'he's got too many legs' and I kept counting 'one, two, three, four,'" Janaway said.

Stumpy would probably not survive in the wild, but Janaway, who runs the Warrawee Duck Farm in New Forest says he is doing well.

"He's eating and surviving so far and he is running about with those extra legs acting like stabilizers," Janaway said.

The mutation is rare, but cases have been recorded across the world. One duckling named Jake was born in Queensland, Australia, in 2002 with four legs but died soon after.

-=-=-=-=-

Thousands Aim to Break Snow Angel Record
Feb 17, 9:20 PM (ET)
By JAMES MacPHERSON

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) - Among the thousands of people frantically flapping in the snow Saturday in an attempt to set the record for the most snow angels ever made were parents, children, even snowplow drivers.

And then there was Pauline Jaeger - who on her 99th birthday, was making her very first angel.

"It's fun," Jaeger said. "I feel just like a kid."

More than 8,900 people flapped their arms and legs on the state Capitol grounds Saturday in an attempt to reclaim the record, which was snatched away about a year ago in Michigan.

The Guinness Book of Records still must confirm the number. The snow angel category was created in 2002 when 1,791 people made snow angels on the Capitol grounds in North Dakota.

Marilyn Snyder, curator of education for the State Historical Society of North Dakota, said 8,910 people registered for Saturday's attempt to break the record of 3,784 snow angels set by students at Michigan Technological University in Houghton.

"That's more than 5,000 more people than what Michigan had," Snyder said. "It's going to be tough to top."

Miles Keeler, a city snowplow driver, took off work for about an hour to make a snow angel with his wife, Connie, and his 13-year-old daughter Kaitlin. Keeler, 49, who's bearded and burly, said it had been decades since he had made a snow angel.

"It's all in the spirit of competition," he said. Afterward, he said, he planned to plow Bismarck-area roads for 12 more hours. The National Weather Service reported 10 inches on the ground in Bismarck on Saturday.

Mel Schlittenhardt of Bismarck brought her three children, including her 5-month-old daughter. The infant even made a snow angel by being spun around in her car seat.

"I think this is a great opportunity to show kids how fun the winter can be in North Dakota," Schlittenhardt said.

Edna Arvidson, 84, of Bismarck, said she participated in the city's record-setting event in 2002.

"It's fun and puts us on the map," Arvidson said. "People think there's nothing going on up here."

North Dakota had planned to organize earlier in the winter, but had to delay the attempt due to a lack of snow. Michigan is keeping a close eye on the record, though - and vows to try and snatch it back.

"That's phenomenal organization and something really to be proud of," said Paul Judge, a Michigan Tech biochemistry major who helped organize Michigan's attempt. "I'm sure once their numbers are verified, there will be a quick reorganization attempt here to reclaim our record."

-=-=-=-=-

Mexican Businessmen Break Kebab Record
Feb 17, 8:13 AM (ET)

MEXICO CITY (AP) - A group of businessmen in the northern Mexican City of Chihuahua broke a tasty record Friday, making a hunk of meat on a skewer big enough to serve 24,000 tacos.

In the Friday event dubbed as the "Tacoton," the meat for a pastor taco, a variety of the Mexican dish that consists of pork squashed onto a stake, weighed 3.9 tons and was 13 feet high, Mexican government news agency Notimex reported.

Officials from the Guinness Book of World Records recognized the hunk of meat as the world's "largest skewer of kebab meat," Notimex reported.

Portions of the vast snack were sold with a drink for $1 a piece to hungry spectators. Chihuahua businessmen financed the mega taco and gave proceeds from sales to a home for abandoned children, Notimex said.

GAWD, those are "nuckin' futs" :eek:

TEEN TRIES EVERYTHING TO SHAKE HICCUPS

St Petersburg. FLA.
For more than 3 weeks, despite medical tests and home remedies a teenager still has thehiccups. Jennifer mee hiccups close to 50 times a minute, stopping only when she's asleep. he 15-yr. old has had blood tests, a CT scan and a MRI, since the fits started Jan. 23rd. Drugs haven't worked either, or has hoklding her breath, putting sugar under her tongue (haven't heard of that one} aipping pickle juice, breathing into a paper bag and drinking from the wrond side of a glass. And, yes people have tired to scare them out of her. According to the National Health Institutes of health, hiccups can be tirggered by many things and are caused by involuntary contractions of the diaphragm, which causes the vocal cords to close briefly, making that distinctive sound. It's painful, Jennifer said Friday on NBC's "Today", as she tried to talk all the while hiccuping. The repid contractions hurt her back and her chest (ya think) her mom said we're trying to find some help.. so far nothing

The Associated Press

BUZZ LITES

A milkman in Wakefield, England, is recovering after a hijacker ran over him with his own delivery truck. Milkkman, Andrew Creed has two broken fingers, cuts on his head and tire marks on his legs and stomach. "I reckon my beer belly saved me from being hurt a lot worse" Creed says.. I'll drink to that " LOSER :(

For the past five years, 41 year-old Gangarum Gautam of Kanpur, India, has lived off only grass. he secretly started eating grass when he was 7 and now eats up to five pounds a day. He is in good health and is even allowed to graze in the local park MOOOOOO!! whatever.. freak!! eat a cheesburger :p

The Buzz. Ken White.. LVRJ

Texas Residents Get Billion-Dollar Bills
Feb 21, 5:51 PM (ET)

WEATHERFORD, Texas (AP) - Some people in Weatherford got billion-dollar scares this week after they opened their electric bills. Richard Redden's bill said he owed more than $24 billion.

Pam Pearson, of Weatherford Electric, said a printing company made a mistake and nearly 1,400 customers received erroneous late notices.

Pearson said customers who received the inaccurate bills will get the correct ones later this month and won't face any late fees.

Meanwhile, Redden said he guesses his family shouldn't have run the heater quite so much.

Weatherford is about 20 miles west of Fort Worth.

-=-=-=-=-

Homemade Yellow Submarine Missing
Feb 21, 4:48 PM (ET)

FELTON, Calif. (AP) - A 3 1/2-ton yellow submarine has fallen off the radar. The 10-foot-long sub, built by a resident to patrol Monterey Bay during the 1940s and 1950s, was reported missing Feb. 15 from its Santa Cruz Mountains berth on Steinmaier Road by owner Carl Barker.

"It sounds bizarre," said Detective Kevin Coyne of the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office. "All I know is ... there's no suspects."

Irven Thomson built the vessel from an old propane tank about 60 years ago. He added a turret, hatch, windows and a cement keel, rudder and navigational instruments.

"I think they launched it a couple of times," Barker said.

There were no arrests.

"One of the neighbors said they saw a tow truck loading it up," Barker, 38, said. "Someone knew they wanted it and came and took it. I don't think they stole it for any kind of recycling value."

Barker said Thomson would go on vigilante patrols of the bay and used the Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf as his home base. Neighbors said the sub worked, but that Thomson quickly gave up the patrols and beached the vessel on his land in south Felton.

Thomson left the yellow submarine on the property when he moved to Watsonville years ago. Family members lived on Steinmaier Road until 2003, when they sold the property and moved to Red Bluff.

-=-=-=-=-

Some Texas Inmates Get 'Weevil' Noodles
Feb 20, 10:07 PM (ET)

EL PASO, Texas (AP) - Some inmates at the El Paso County Jail annex were served noodles infested with weevils, sheriff's officials said. Sheriff's Deputy Jimmy Apodaca said the food was removed as soon as they learned of the problems.

"We have prepared new meals and are taking extra steps to safeguard that this type of incident doesn't take place again," he said in a news release.

There were no immediate reports of anyone becoming ill from the bad food. Health officials are investigating the case.

Deputy Jesus Tovar said it appeared the weevils were in boxes of noodles shipped to the facility for use at the annex and the downtown El Paso jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back