Anna/Lindsay #2- Montana Girl in the Big City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow pizzapie, slow down--getting a bit touchy, aren't we? :)

I think what MrsG meant by that was that it would be an interesting departure from what these shows normally do, which is have the women shown in a weak role if things get dangerous. That's not to say it's always the case, but it seems so very common.

I don't think that they portray any of the women weak on any of the CSI's. Let's face it, women get more emotional than men. I think all the characters are portrayed as strong but eventually they just loose it. Wouldn't you? I know as a woman I can only take so much and eventually I will explode. Let's give these ladies credit. They are definately not damels in distress. :D

Hmmm, Both sides are interesting on that point. I think we have seen Lindsay as a bit of an aggressor already. Taking down suspects with her body, chasing after the college guy suspect, and before it was too much she left the room in Stealing Home. So I don't think they will go with her being weak in that sense. Just some thoughts. ;)

Well, face it, women are far more likely to be in the situation of being a victim. The estimate is that 1 out of every 5 women have been raped. (It's 1 out of 12 for men- and these stats came from a domestic violence workshop I attended two months ago.)

Would you complain if the males were the victims?

If you meant by aggressor her getting physical to go after suspects, or have to fight back if she was attacked at a crime scene (and face it, Lindsay is TINY. Maybe a suspect was still nearby, and thought they could overtake Lindsay because of her size), we've seen stuff like that, and that is fine, but I don't want her (or ANY of them) to be shown using unnecessary force. Although, I do trust the NY writers to handle it better than writers of a certain other show. Unnecessary force is brutality and it doesn't need to be glorified.

For some reason, I think Lindsay's dark secret may have to do with victims around age 20- the "she's only 22" really struck me while rewatching LOLD.

pizzapie, I totally agree unnecessary force should never be used.
Was just saying that while she is small she isn't afraid to try to be physical which is different to me in this case. And I wasn't necessary putting her in a light of being a rape vitim. I was thinking more of maybe some physical stuff happened that cause her to be more aggressive in that way. Like I said just some thoughts. ;)

um yeah on the point of LOLD..when sid and lindsay were in autopsy..and he said the line 'she might of have been uncounsious' when they talked about rape, the camera focused on lindsays face and her head popped up and she kinda had like this look on her face like..i dont know ..it was just something about the look that made me think of her past.

what do you think?

love
allie

pizzapie said:
Well, face it, women are far more likely to be in the situation of being a victim. The estimate is that 1 out of every 5 women have been raped. (It's 1 out of 12 for men- and these stats came from a domestic violence workshop I attended two months ago.)

Well, on this show it's 2/3. Stella was almost raped, and Aiden may very well have been. Why are you so eager to see Lindsay a victim? That would up the stats to 3/3--surely not representative, as every woman hasn't been a victim of a crime. There's a vast difference between 20% and 100%.

Would you complain if the males were the victims?

No, I wouldn't, for numerous reasons. One, because it wouldn't be taking the easy/cliched route. How many times have we seen women victimized? It happens over and over again, so often that it seems every time there's a tough woman on screen, her toughness has to be "explained away" by some sort of past victimization.

Homicide: Life on the Street (a truly ground-breaking cop drama) broke the mold when it delved into the sexual abuse one of its male characters suffered as a child.

As for male victims on this show, we know Danny was one at least once, and given all his emotional issues in general, I suspect he was abused in one way or another as a child.

But the real point isn't to make men the victims--what I'm asking is why all of the women on the show have been made into victims. That's why I'd like to see Lindsay's dark secret be something other than her being a victim of a crime.

If you meant by aggressor her getting physical to go after suspects, or have to fight back if she was attacked at a crime scene (and face it, Lindsay is TINY. Maybe a suspect was still nearby, and thought they could overtake Lindsay because of her size), we've seen stuff like that, and that is fine, but I don't want her (or ANY of them) to be shown using unnecessary force. Although, I do trust the NY writers to handle it better than writers of a certain other show. Unnecessary force is brutality and it doesn't need to be glorified.

I have no idea what "other show" you're talking about, but I sure thought the violence against Stella was glamorized--maybe not glorified, but certainly excessive.

The idea with Lindsay being some sort of serial killer was said partially in jest, because I don't think this show would either go that dark or be that daring.

I do like the idea of someone in her family being a murderer and her trying to grapple with worrying about having that potential inside of her, because that's something we haven't seen before, and could give her some very layered character development.

I totally agree with you Top... I dont know what Lindsays secret is, I have a feeling its something to do with a death in the family - whether someone in her family died, or they killed someone else, but like I've said, and a bunch of other people on the boards - there has to have been something that brought her to New York and eventually the writers are going to have to let it out, even if it takes a whole season with each episode having little blurbs here and there or things that help lead us to the "big picture" it was the same as the case with Aiden, every now and then something about DJ Pratt would come up, and eventually it led us to "Heroes". But either way I would love to see more of a character development for Lindsay, we dont know enough about her, its always easier to like a character... or dislike in my case I'm the former, but, when you feel like you can connect to a character or you have something in common or whatever its easier to follow things and understand why they do/dont do things.

I would love to see..in moments..those 'tendencies' to slip ever so bit, by bit. Her frustration, and trying to keep them at bay. That end scene in 'Stealing Home', seeing it again tells me something of, in that nature. I'm starting to think now, (that somebody) close to her killed for no reason at all and by her going to Vackner to ask him why.

*sorry if my grammar is off...soo..tired.*

Though, I could be wrong.

I'm beginning to wonder if Lindsay's need to be a CSI is less of a desire to put people away than the need to make sure she doesn't do something illegal.

mm...you CAN be a cop and DO something illegal.

I'm leaning towards the putting people away...I know kind of a contradiction of what I'm somewhat concluding on Lindsay's past.

Sometimes I wonder if Lindsay's secret is that she is haunted by some big bad case she didn't close, and/or got in a bit of trouble trying to close it. I remember the time she was all ticked off that she was sent away from a scene, and Danny commented how horrible the scene was. She indicated she had seen "much worse." Maybe some horrible bloodbath, maybe kids that freaked her out?

Oh, and Allie, your idea is REAALY a distinct possibility. Maybe Lindsay was taken advantage of when she was vulnerable ... date rape drug, or something. Maybe that's why she's kinda tough, esp. for her size. Remember her comment about Lillian Stanwyck being vulnerable? Hmmm.

As for me, I hope more for option 1, because I have to say, while I don't necessarily want her to be an aggressor, it would be nice to have a female that hasn't been brutalized. We have Aiden and Stella on NY, Sara (mom's abuse) and Catherine (her ex was kind of a jerk and she's had other issues) on LV, and even Natalia on Miami (remember her ex boyfriend or hubby, can't remember which ...). Oh, Marisol, too I guess. Calliegh is kind of the only one who hasn't been physically brutalized, I guess, although her ex kinda stalked her and then blew his head off.

The other possibility is, as many have stated, that someone she loved was either a killer/violent person or was murdered, and Lindsay found him/her. I don't know. Lots of possibilities.

Blah blah blah. Still have a cold. Meds are making me ramble. On the bright side, I almost have 100 posts. Avatar!! Woo Hoo!

pizzapie said:
The only problem with the secret being a case is that her secret is suppose to be what led her to become a CSI.

Ah. Good point. Can always rely on pizza to keep me in line. :D Okay, on that ... I'm leaning toward the someone she loved was brutalized, maybe she even found that person, lying a pool of blood, gruesome, etc. Maybe a sister? Hmmmm.

pizzapie said:
I'm beginning to wonder if Lindsay's need to be a CSI is less of a desire to put people away than the need to make sure she doesn't do something illegal.

I don't think that she is simply a cop because she wants to keep herself from doing wrong. There are much more better ways of keeping youself from doing illegal things. Acutally being around criminals and having a reason to work around guns and other weapons may not be the best thing for people that fear they may commit a crime.

I personally feel that Lindsay knew someone that committed a horrible crime---perhaps a lover. Maybe she ignored the warning signs that this person was a deadly psychotic and this person killed many innocent women....one of the victims might have been a friend, sister, or relative. She might feel like there's 'blood on her hands.'

Lindsay is a person that needs answers. Whatever happened, there probably wasn't any closure. There is also a possiblity that there is more than one reason for her being a CSI. Typically, people don't go into a profession for just one reason. There are usually multiple reasons. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back