8x04 - In Plane Sight ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Oct 10, 2009.

1. VirGodess1923

VirGodess1923 Lab Technician

I think the feeling is mutual when it comes to the frustration. I have to agree with a lot you've said. To me, this week's episode was a lot of Jesse and Walter. They focused solely on Jesse's character on a number of occasions, and really hanging the rest of the main characters out to dry. I didn't even see Natalia in this episode, which isn't fair. Ryan was involved, but his scenes were not complete to me. Him joking around with Jesse made me think of his Eric and Ryan days. I, for one, loved Eric's character and missed him a lot in this episode. Eric was a lot more serious than these guys and sort of brought some depth to the team. He kept Ryan on his toes and its obvious there's a void there. I also agree that if he is going to stay for 7 more episodes after episode 5, they should've given his story a little length..similar to Ryan's gambling addiction and reinstatement. Ryan had to work odd jobs until he was cleared and I'm sure they could've thought of something for Eric...

Walter is funny but I honestly think that's all he has going for him. I also think he's best working in the lab. I don't see him ready or good for field work yet, but maybe that's just me.

-Calleigh looked amazing this week. I wish they would put her in more of this type of wardrobe.
    -Liked seeing Cynthia back, also :), but where's Valera???

Honestly, they are focusing too much on Jesse and making him out to be a saint. He may very well be, but its not long until they give him some problem like they have with all the casts in the past. As far as that "girl" he's probably back for - it most certainly has to be a daughter, by the way he responded to Calleigh...

Anyway, the show rated #1 this Monday, but lets see what happens in the coming weeks, because I'm getting a little bored with the same old stuff and especially miss Eric.

2. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I agree that Eric was a lot more serious so he bought something different to the team.
    I thought back to Eric and Ryan too,how there was tension under the surface way too often.That got old fast and I don't miss that or the mistrust. I for one enjoyed seeing more laughter with Jesse and Walter.

3. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

While I wish H would call Ryan by his first name, I am wondering if it is just a force of habit. H calls Natalia "Miss Boa Vista" and what does he call Calleigh? I love it when he calls Frank "Francis":lol:

The sweater vest has never been his best look. Hopefully, this is the last we will see of it.

I am glad others besides me are feeling that way. I almost feel by putting him on screen so much they are trying too hard for us to like him. I don't mind him but I would like him more if they would tone back not only his screen time but making him seem so flawless. I think that is why I am so hyper-sensitive when it comes to Ryan's scenes this year; at times I feel he being watered down to make Jesse look even better. Probably not true but at times it seems that way to me.

I was kind of wondering with the over exposure (at this point) of Jesse if her screen time was going to suffer the most.

Makes one wonder if tptb know what they are doing.

4. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

Well, all I can say is, please keep the Jesse scenes coming! I simply adore the dude! For once this show's got a normal decent good guy instead of people with incredibly complicated pasts that you wonder why they could ever be cops with some of the things they've gotten into.

It's not that I don't want to see interesting flawed people, but there is a limit for me at least on how much dramatic personal pasts or problems I can take in and Jesse is just a breath of fresh air, he's as normal as they come, reminds me of my sweet next door neighbor.

I can't say enough how it was all Jesse Cardoza's presence in Miami that finally made me a fan of this show instead of just someone who mocks it all the time.

I understand some people's frustrations with his many scenes in each episode, and if I was more interested in the other characters I probably would have been rather upset about it too, but I guess for me it's just not that much of a issue for me since I enjoy Jesse very much.

I think they're still working out the kinks in his character storylines and trying to establish him hence the many scenes, and maybe they're trying too hard to show him as a good guy, but I still think they handled Jesse's integration ALOT better than it could have happened, just look at what CSI did with Ray.......it's like the Ray-Hour show over there! At least with Jesse's character, you see him interacting alot with other characters, AND it's still Horatio Caine who saves the day! :p

Having new characters is never an easy thing, but I think Miami did it pretty well, and I have faith that the screentime thing will be worked out, it's already so much better than it used to be.

5. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Well said, Bauer Almeida. While nobody's perfect, some of these characters have more skeletons than a cemetary, although I guess they're eventually going to tell us what they mean about the "girl" he was talking about with Calleigh.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't sit there and keep score about who's with who in which scene and how many times they appear on the screen. If the story's good and the team's interacting, and there's some balance with the drama and the team itself, I really don't care.

6. CSIKitty

CSIKitty Dead on Arrival

I agree with you guys. Any time I watched Miami, I felt as if I was getting the same story lines and I was getting bored. Adding a new character, even if it wasn't Jesse, because I don't want to seem biased, spices things up. I think it was mentioned before about how everyone was wary of Ryan in the beginning and now a lot of people love Ryan. It's just going to take some viewers some time getting used to Jesse.

I also don't care whos in how many scenes. Yes, perhaps there were a lot of scenes with Jesse (not that I minded :)) but they were spread out over the episode and he was with different cast members. I just think the writers are trying to fit him in and see who he works best with and how the viewers react. I don't understand why everyone is worked up about some people not being in a lot of scenes because every episode focuses on different people and every cast member gets a chance to be in a major or a supporting role. That's just how it goes.

7. mjszud

mjszud Captain

My only suggestion is to put yourself in other fans' shoes for a moment. I don't know how long you've been watching Miami, but in the last few years there hasn't been much of anyone other than Horatio & Eric/Calleigh (or one or the other) -- the focus was never on anyone else. As you are a Jessie fan, if his screentime & development went to nothing here in the next 3 months, would you be a happy fan? Probably not, you'd want to see more of your favorite character, just like anyone else does. The reason fans started getting uptight & nitpicking over screentime & who's scene is with who, is because for several years now, as I said before, the focus was on only 3 of the main characters, & it became a pattern with who was in every scene with who -- it didn't do any justice to the team vibe, it gave off a feeling of seperation, & not all the fans were happy with that. Lack of screentime/storylines/development for Ryan, Natalia, & Frank has been a heavy issue on the board for well over a year now -- we may sound like an unhappy bunch at times, but some of our faves have been on the backburner for quite some time now so it get's a bit frustrating -- I hope you can understand that, & also understand that it isn't always that we totally & utterly dispise the newbie(s), we just don't want another season (as we've put up with it for long enough) of tptb focusing on only a few main characters.

8. bodrul

bodrul Victim

This was a Good episode to watch

9. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  10. slower

slower Lab Technician

mjszud, great zombie. THANK YOU!!! I couldn't have explained it better. :) I am not opposed to these characters per say, but not to the point that others are forgotten. Miami needs to take a page from the producers of NCIS.

11. CSIKitty

CSIKitty Dead on Arrival

I've watched Miami for a long time and I've been in those shoes. I know this isn't the shipper board but I'm not a fan of Eric/Calleigh. It's a bit tiring after a while. I too would like to see more of Frank and Ryan and the rest. But from what I've seen this season so far, everyone has had screen time, maybe not as much as some people want but they've at least had scenes.

And I'm not trying to come off rude and a fangirl so please don't read it like this but it's really not Cibrian's fault that he's getting scenes, lol. That's what the writers are writing. And that is very aggravating, I totally agree because it happens on every show. It depends on who is writing which episode. The writers have faves too and write some characters better than others so that may be another reason why some are getting less screen time than others.

12. greatfan

greatfan Captain

It is better this season.
    I'm sure everyone knows it's not the actors fault.The writers shouldn't have favorites,if that is true,it needs to change.
    As I stated earlier,I actually enjoy that there seems to be a little more interaction and Ryan is laughing and smiling more,there's less tension.
    I actually only have problems when other fans say "so what",as long as their fav character gets time.

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Show writers should be like parents and love all the characters/children the same. :)

14. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree!

I wonder, however. Is is just easier for them to write for the new characters? The new characters are fresh with no background. The canvas is there for the writers to paint with Jesse, Walter, Tom...

For the established characters it is much harder. They have bio and backgrounds that the writers must remain true to (and they aren't very good at that, to be honest).

So, is it that the new characters are favorites, that the writers are excited because they can be more creative and free with the new characters or are the writers being lazy because it's harder to remain true to the long-time characters?

I think it's probably a little of all of the above.

And I really do enjoy Jesse, Walter and Tom. I think they've brought a freshness to the show that was sorely needed.

That said, they could pull it back a little with Jesse. I love his character and I think Cibrian is doing an amazing job. But the acceptance of a majority of the fanbase could start to waiver if long-time fans feel that their favorite character is still taking a backseat and reduced screen time due to the promotion of Cibiran's character. There could be a backlash against the new characters - and I DON'T want to see that happen.

So far TPTB have done an amazing job introducing the new characters. Fans, for the most part, like and accept them. I hope hope TPTB don't screw that up by forgetting that the other characters have devoted fans as well who are truly missing them - NATALIA????? Where is my Natalia?:scream:

Changing lanes here for a moment, out of curiosity, has anyone read the review posted by Kristine Huntley? Comments are always closed for those reviews now, but after reading it I found myself wondering in some instances if I was watching the same show.

Ms. Huntley has never really been a fan of Horatio and seems to relish the opportunity to stomp on him. So I'm learning to look past her swipes at that character. But she appears to now be campaiging for Jesse over Horatio in her desire to point out that Jesse was right about Carlos while Horatio was wrong about the son. I don't know it's that she pointed it out so much as the relish she seems to take in making the point.

She presents Jesse with a halo while Ryan is presented in a less than positive light in the Rock, Paper, Scissors scene. She found Ryan to be territorial and showing attitude and Jesse "bristling" at Ryan's approach. She equates this territoriality with Ryan making sure Jesse "knows his place."

My problem with this is, as I said, I really like Jesse. I think he in fits perfectly with the team. I think Ryan and Jesse can have the friendship that was never possible with Ryan and Eric. I saw the Rock, Paper, Scissors scene as completely endearing of all three characters involved and saw it as three guys messing around and giving each other friendly grief on the job. Happens all the time where I work. I saw nothing negative about it and found it quite funny.

For how long have a significant number of us complained about perfect Super-H always being right? We are beginning to see a return to the Horatio of years past. The more compassionate, involved, connected and human character. So when he makes a human error and, in a rare moment for Horatio, chooses to give someone he's questionning the benefit of the doubt (I'm not sure he completely believed the son.), rather than seeing Horatio as human, a judgemental finger is pointed at him with the indictment, "You were WRONG! Shame on you! And Jesse was right! Na-na-na-na-na-na!"

I'm left feeling that she is trying to insinuate that Jesse is a better judge of people than Horatio (which has always been a strong character trait with Horatio) and that Ryan is a petty, territorial slacker. As I said, Horatio is always a target, so that will never change.

But that is just not how I see Ryan and I think he's been portrayed in a negative light for long enough. It's time to give that character a break and I was really hoping with the postive, friendly interaction I was seeing between him and Jesse he was going to get one this season.

We are finally beginning to see a TEAM on this show. Can't we just enjoy it for a while before we try to destroy it? I really hope that Ms. Huntley's impressions/interpretations/opinions are only shared by the minority of viewers.

15. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Delynn,funny that you should mention the review.I did post something about the reviewer's glowing accolades of Jesse and her seemingling negative bias toward Ryan.

I've only seen positive reactions pretty much on several message boards to Jesse and Ryan's interactions.There are other negative aspects bought up,but nothing that deals with that particular relationship.Most have talked about less tension,more laughter,etc.The reviewer's impressions really are the first I've seen that were negative.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009